daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 16th, 2007, 06:06 AM   #201
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

The school currently on site (North Toronto Collegiate Instituite) is being demolished and rebuilt as the podium of these condos.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #202
nitzomoe
Scarebarian

Likes (Received): 1

should be an interesting relationship between condo owners and the kids.
nitzomoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:25 PM   #203
hkric88

Likes (Received): 0

NTC Info

Hey everyone, check out the Star GTA section today, they have a detialed rundown of NTC project~

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/171445

Last edited by hkric88; January 16th, 2007 at 05:48 PM.
hkric88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #204
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

That's weird but interesting. I have never heard of a school being the ground floor of condo's.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #205
hkric88

it did not seem to me that the condos would physically be on top of the school, I was under the impression that they would be built accross the sight from the school. If you have seen the render of this project -> http://www.tridel.com/republic/buildings.php <- it is really hard to tell if there is a schol there or not, it is possible.... hmmmm
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #206
hkric88

ON SECOND THOUGHT! if you look closely at the render, at the bottom right, there is a ghosted-out outline of a single story building that matches the profile of your typical school
Old January 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM   #207
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 37

Yorkville towers approved
Four seasons complex: OMB ruling allows for taller tower than city ok'd

Greg Macdonald
National Post

Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Ontario Municipal Board has approved a $500-million project, including the city's seventh- highest building, to be built in ''the armpit of Yorkville.''

The 50-storey, 195-metre tower will be a part of the Four Seasons hotel-condominium complex on Bay Street, between Scollard Street and Yorkville Avenue.

The complex will also contain a 24-storey residential building. The higher tower will consist of a 20-floor hotel, as well as condo units, for a total of 241 condos and 250 hotel rooms.

The ruling, which allows for a taller tower than that approved by Toronto city council, has been met with some local hostility.

Although a prominent community group reached an agreement with Bay-Yorkville Developments regarding the towers' heights, other organizations are still opposed to the development.

Sheila Latham, director of the Save Yorkville Heritage Association, fears the project could "destroy" Yorkville.

"The way I see it, this new building being approved puts all low-rise buildings in the area under threat," Ms. Latham said.

"It would ruin the area's lowrise charm, sunshine, and its streetscape, which is on a human scale," she said.

Ms. Latham charged that the city and community leaders had been "bought off" by the developers, Bay-Yorkville Developments, citing a $5.2-million donation to the community under Section 37 of the Planning Act. The funding will go to improve the local fire hall, library and the yard at Jesse Ketchum Public School.

"What kind of rules have we got when someone with deep pockets can buy out the opposition?" she said.

The OMB decision, released this month, called the property "one of the largest underutilized properties remaining within the midtown area, an important mixed-use area that includes the high-rise character of the Bay- Bloor-Yonge-Street area."

City council had approved 45- and 35-storey towers. The heights were changed to address controversy over shadows the towers will cast on the Ketchum schoolyard.

The new plans do little to fix this, according to Ms. Latham. "The schoolyard is only going to get half an hour more sunshine a d ay," she said. "This is a terrible precedent and an outrageous building. It sets the stage for more shadowing of public space."

Despite the controversy, local city councillor Kyle Rae is pleased with the decision.

"Most of the neighbourhoods that opposed it were happy to see the tall tower get taller and the shorter tower get shorter. The new plans will reduce the shadow impact across the street," he said.

"We're talking about the armpit of Yorkville. This is a great location for a five-star hotel and is a great opportunity for the revitalization of the east side of Yorkville," he said.

Mr. Rae said his office has already seen retailers' proposals to move into the area because of the Four Seasons project.

"The community was [at the OMB hearing] and they agreed to it. The one group that did oppose it had their day in court."

The project will not only benefit the immediate community but the city as a whole, according to a spokeswoman for Menkes Ltd., the managing partner in Bay- Yorkville Developments.

"The $500-million project will create great economic opportunity, including 1,600 construction jobs," said Mimi Ing.
© National Post 2007
Northern Lotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM   #208
thryve
°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 22

Sapphire Tower:

thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:33 AM   #209
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I like the shape.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #210
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6560

wasn't the original plan for the sapphire tower a supertall?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #211
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
wasn't the original plan for the sapphire tower a supertall?
originaly, it tallest proposal was 342m..but thats long dead. the new proposal is around 196m
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #212
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

They killed it! I loved that original design - it looked like The Daily Planet building.

Pardon if I'm misinformed but why was the original design rejected?
Old February 4th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #213
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe View Post
They killed it! I loved that original design - it looked like The Daily Planet building.

Pardon if I'm misinformed but why was the original design rejected?
Shadow issues over Nathan Phillips Square.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #214
willy789
Toronto Fanatic

OMG, both versions; old or new are both amazing.

personally i prefer the origianal because of the height and how much it would benifit the Toronto skyline, but the new version i just as good.

any idea on when construction is to begin?
willy789 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #215
ToRoNto, g-town

Likes (Received): 10

i like the new version better than the old because i think the old version would have dated really quick and the new design is still unique but in a less in your face way
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #216
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

It's a miracle if this thing ever actually gets off the ground. The is the fourth or fifth design for a tower at that site by Harry Stinston and (correct me if I'm wrong) but only one of the towers ever made it into sales. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new tower get built at the site, but the two story "family townhouse" for $600,000+ seems like a hard sell, especially when most of the condos being sold in downtown are empty nesters, singles and young couples. Oh well, I'm hoping but not expecting much.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #217
dougbennion

I'm interested in one of those 'vertical' townhouses. I'm a baby-boomer, and ready to move into a condo from a large house. Most of the tens of thousands of units that have been built the past few years are small one and two bedroom layouts that are simply too claustrophobic, after you have lived in larger homes for 30 years. I think there is a market, and it will increase in size over the years.
dougbennion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:28 AM   #218
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

151 Front Street West
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #219
Dino Domingo
Canadiense

Likes (Received): 19

WOW!!
Dino Domingo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #220