daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #321
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

That fantasy tower for S/W corner of Y/B makes me suspicious. Is Four Seasons actually going to top 200m?
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #322
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

686 feet/210 metres I believe.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM   #323
vancouverite/to'er

Thanks Elliot. Another tick on the 200m + list.
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #324
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

The Four Seasons tower will be a quality project, but I hope they veer closer to one of the earlier renders that were put out. The subsequent changes have stripped the tower of pleasing design elements and uniqueness in favour of a tower that is looking closer and closer to the generic glass condo tower that Toronto is building everywhere. I doubt generic is a look that a posh Toronto firm like Four Seasons Hotels wants to project.

From this:

To this:

From the architectsAlliance website:[/FONT]

It still looks fantastic at street level though:

Last edited by isaidso; January 12th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #325
vancouverite/to'er

I imagine that second rendering is a slap in the face to the architect who came up with the original design. I really am hoping for the first one too.
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM   #326
isaidso
the new republic

I don't think you're alone. From reading posts regarding the design change, I've come across lots that prefer the original render, but none that prefer the re-design. Hopefully, Four Seasons Hotels will acknowledge the importance of design to a firm like themselves and insist on a return to the original design.

Their current hotel is almost universally criticized for being much to drab and boring for a glamourous luxury chain. You'd think they'd be sensitive to repeating this mistake.
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #327
isaidso
the new republic

Seems like the current Toronto Four Seasons Hotel might be demolished. Word of a 58 and 48 storey tower, 225 metre proposal is circulating, and I doubt too many people would oppose the upgrade. Yorkville certainly seems to be rapidly building upwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 'Sauga View Post
Developer seeks skyscraping condo towers at old Four Seasons site in Yorkville

Posted: January 31, 2008, 9:54 PM by Rob Roberts

By Kelly Grant, National Post

* Height stated by ArchitectureFan on UrbanToronto

Last edited by isaidso; March 4th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM   #328
isaidso
the new republic

Toronto CBD set to grow dramatically:

8 new towers directly south of the train tracks. 3 under construction. It seems that the CBD cluster is set to get much much bigger in a hurry. There will also be 3 new large towers north of the train tracks in and around the present CBD. Trump and Bay-Adelaide are under construction, while the L Tower on the eastern flank will follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Found this on the Toronto website:

source: http://www.toronto.ca/union_station/...esentation.pdf
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM   #329
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Likes (Received): 12

i wonder if they're going to move those tracks to and from Union underground...
it certainly looks like its heading that way.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM   #330
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Downtown Toronto will look awesome in the near future!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:30 AM   #331
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcan View Post
i wonder if they're going to move those tracks to and from Union underground...
it certainly looks like its heading that way.
There aren't any plans to do so. Presently the roadway has to dip under the tracks for quite a distance before resurfacing on the south side. It would be fantastic to have those tracks buried and for an urban park built on top of it. The city would have less of the psychological barrier that now exists between it and the waterfront. It's a terrible lost opportunity that isn't too late to be rectified.

Maybe once this 'lower' portion of the downtown is built, the wisdom of burying the tracks will be more evident to those who don't see the benefit. It has the potential to be absolutely stunning. All we need is for the general public to make that realization, and for political will to build. Toronto can still have something special here, but it would take a decade to realize.

I hate making comparison's to other cities, but sometimes that is what it takes to get people to see a vision. Our own mini version of New York's Central Park? If you provide a good example of something that already exists, it is often a more effective way of getting the point across.

Last edited by isaidso; April 3rd, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM   #332
filcan
mega manila | megacity

The only problem with building on the south side of the tracks is that buildings like the Fairmont Royal York will end up being hidden from view when looking at the skyline from the lake, it really is the last historical building that you see from that angle...and I know you (isaidso) would probably be disappointed too seeing that you like Art Deco Style...(avatar)

As for creating a large urban park in downtown, its a good idea but i'd prefer it closer to the water's edge than on top of the railroad tracks...this way it can be better than Central Park because it has direct access to a lake rather than being completely surrounded by buildings...like Lakeshore Park in Chicago but better

Last edited by filcan; April 3rd, 2008 at 05:26 PM.
filcan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #333
isaidso
the new republic

Very perceptive regarding my appreciation for buildings like the Royal York. I was somewhat hopeful that a view of this hotel from the lake would be preserved when I saw the winning West 8 bid to develop the waterfront. It consisted of a grand pedestrian only avenue stretching from the water all the way to the foot of Union and the Royal York. It was a spectacular design. The subsequent approval of the Telus tower, and now, all these other towers has made that plan impossible.

With all the development on the south side of the tracks now a reality, I'm very much interested in retaining a large public square, park, or pedestrian only zones of some sort for this area. Ironically, it seems that the presence of the railway tracks might be what saves our downtown from being developed from one end to the other without consideration for substantial features such as I propose.

A lakefront park is desirable, but I'd rather have both a green belt on the waterfront, which is in the process of being realized over the next 10 years, but also a large inland park. I'm not suggesting one over the other. Both are vital. It is precisely areas bounded on all sides by buildings where an oasis is most needed, however. When you're on the lakefront, you already have that oasis, inland you have no reprieve at all. It is a mistake to argue that Torontonians should have to venture all the way to the lake to find refuge from the concrete jungle. Well designed cities offer areas like these in the middle of the most built up areas.

This realization is what makes Central Park in New York and Hyde Park in London so spectacular. You're right in the middle of areas of huge intensification yet all you have to do is cross the street to escape. It is the contrast that is magical. We have the opportunity to realize both the compelling nature of developments like Central Park in New York AND the beauty of Lakeshore in Chicago. Why settle for just one, when both are important?

Dundas Square is a perfect example of the importance of an oasis in the middle of a city. We need another oasis here.

Last edited by isaidso; April 5th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #334
filcan
mega manila | megacity

I see where your getting at. It would be a nice alternative to have a park right inside the downtown core. Preferably, it would be ideal if the park would provide close and easy access to the CN Tower since the area around the base of the tower seems poorly laid out. The tower can be somewhat integrated into the park and be a sort of "monument" (not that it already isn't a monument to Toronto). I guess since an urban park in the downtown core is not currently being planned, the closest thing we have to a Central Park planned in Toronto is Downsview Park, although the location is not comparable.
Old April 5th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #335
isaidso
the new republic

It would be great if the park stretched all the way from the Sony Centre, where the L Tower will be going up, to the CN Tower. Perhaps, even beyond till it hits Fort York. The views from such a park would be unrivaled. The Royal York Hotel to the north would face a back drop of some of the densest office blocks in the world. To the south you'd see the Air Canada Centre, a sea of condo towers and offices, the CN Tower, and shimmers of Lake Ontario peaking in between it all.

Where else in the world could you take in all of that standing in one spot? No where. It would be out of this world.

You are right about the base of the CN Tower being poorly laid out. Integrating it into a park would solve that problem and heighten it's role as a monument for our city and our nation.

This is one development that we can't afford to pass up. It could showcase the very best in urban park design: exotic flower gardens, sculptures, art, exhibits, man-made ponds for boating, a meeting place for hundreds of thousands during Canada Day, and a venue for class field trips.

The possibilities are endless. A botanical garden, recreations of Canadian landscapes, perhaps even a refuge for protected wildlife. We could even landscape an entire section with hundreds of cherry blossoms with a snazzy cafe/kiosk in the middle of it. I just wish the area was a little larger, but we can only work with what we have.

The possibility still exists to link such a park to the green belt on the waterfront and create a continuous green swath of spectacular public space that any city would die for. I've been thinking of building a model of this for some time, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

Last edited by isaidso; April 5th, 2008 at 05:57 PM.
Old April 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #336
valantino
The Greatest

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
i wonder if they're going to move those tracks to and from Union underground
It's simply not possible to shift them underground. Eventually, they will be built overtop like in other cities.
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #337
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It would be great if the park stretched all the way from the Sony Centre, where the L Tower will be going up, to the CN Tower. Perhaps, even beyond till it hits Fort York. The views from such a park would be unrivaled. The Royal York Hotel to the north would face a back drop of some of the densest office blocks in the world. To the south you'd see the Air Canada Centre, a sea of condo towers and offices, the CN Tower, and shimmers of Lake Ontario peaking in between it all.

Where else in the world could you take in all of that standing in one spot? No where. It would be out of this world.

You are right about the base of the CN Tower being poorly laid out. Integrating it into a park would solve that problem and heighten it's role as a monument for our city and our nation.

This is one development that we can't afford to pass up. It could showcase the very best in urban park design: exotic flower gardens, sculptures, art, exhibits, man-made ponds for boating, a meeting place for hundreds of thousands during Canada Day, and a venue for class field trips.

The possibilities are endless. A botanical garden, recreations of Canadian landscapes, perhaps even a refuge for protected wildlife. We could even landscape an entire section with hundreds of cherry blossoms with a snazzy cafe/kiosk in the middle of it. I just wish the area was a little larger, but we can only work with what we have.

The possibility still exists to link such a park to the green belt on the waterfront and create a continuous green swath of spectacular public space that any city would die for. I've been thinking of building a model of this for some time, but I'm not quite sure where to start.
You've got some very high aspirations for this area. Another idea, make the Gardiner a ground-level highway with trees going along the centre of it to make it look more like an avenue. Then roads like Spadina would go underneath the highway, then pedestrian overpasses would go above both the highway and roads so that at some points all three different levels can cross each other. Try implementing that idea to your upcoming model if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino View Post
It's simply not possible to shift them underground. Eventually, they will be built overtop like in other cities.
i don't understand how other cities build overtop their rail lines...wouldn't that create a hill terrain?
Old April 6th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #338
vancouverite/to'er

Isn't that what Chiacgo did in a nutshell with their waterfront? Beautify the area but keep the amazing scenic drive?
Old April 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #339
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

16 York (proposed) in position.

Quote:
Maldive:

I finally added the 3 tower 16 York buildings to my render, which have an incredible impact on the city from this POV... unfortunately obscuring my beloved RBC (still one of the best skyscrapers in the world decades later).

I've also improved some buildings... and then for some reason desaturated the whole render.

Ah well, enjoy. Hope you like. I'm off to spam all those skyline threads in other forums....

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #340
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

the skyline of toronto will be even better than on this animation
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto