daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #341
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
Originally Posted by valantino View Post
It's simply not possible to shift them underground. Eventually, they will be built overtop like in other cities.
We aren't living in 18th century Papua-New Guinea. China can build the Three Gorges Dam and you think Canada isn't capable of burying some tracks? Not possible and not willing are two different things.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2008, 05:58 AM   #342
alexs

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
We aren't living in 18th century Papua-New Guinea. China can build the Three Gorges Dam and you think Canada isn't capable of burying some tracks? Not possible and not willing are two different things.
Yes, we are living in century Papua-New Guinea budget-wise. We cannot even build a normal subway because it costs too much; and Sheppard subway could not be extended past 404 - it is too deep to dig under the highway
alexs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #343
isaidso
the new republic

Like I said, there isn't the will. We would rather finance other things and not raise taxes. It will take something monumental like a Summer Olympics bid win to make large infrastructure investments like this. Just look at Vancouver. Hosting the world is what is making the multi-billion dollar upgrades happen.

When people suddenly get the will to do something, they find the money. It's hardly ever about 'can not'. It's almost always about 'will not'. Too deep to dig under the highway? We dig mines kilometres deep. We had the technology to do that probably 100 years ago. Only a grade schooler is so gullible to believe excuses like that. When politicians or business people say silly things like that, it just pisses people off because we all know it's not the real reason. Do they think they are talking to toddlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcan View Post
You've got some very high aspirations for this area. Another idea, make the Gardiner a ground-level highway with trees going along the centre of it to make it look more like an avenue. Then roads like Spadina would go underneath the highway, then pedestrian overpasses would go above both the highway and roads so that at some points all three different levels can cross each other. Try implementing that idea to your upcoming model if you can

i don't understand how other cities build overtop their rail lines...wouldn't that create a hill terrain?
I have high aspirations for Toronto, in general. The Gardiner idea is an interesting proposition, but in the end it is a compromise. I'm not in favour of any street level highways downtown. The Gardiner should be buried. Above it should resemble Bloor where city blocks have stop signs or traffic lights around every 100 metres.

I think I will try modeling a re-developed rail line district. Regarding your last comment. Cities simply live with the hill terrain because they don't want to spend the money to fix poor urban planning decisions made in the past. It's a compromise. Cities that bite the bullet and spend the money solve the issue once and for all. Boston saw the wisdom in that. It was an investment in their city's future. We need to start thinking long term instead of band aid solutions.

Last edited by isaidso; April 10th, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old April 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #344
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

More photos please, its Spring, bright and sunny, time for a recap and progress report. I've also seen a rash of new developments that should be added to this column. Cheers
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #345
isaidso
the new republic

This is the Bay-Adelaide Centre going up in the CBD. It will be 218 metres tall. The reconstruction of the historical facade on one corner of this office tower is taking shape.

In this small area there are plans for 3 more towers. One of which, the 281 metre Trump Tower has started construction already. It is being built on that miniscule little plot across the street where you can see the green billboard. (Second pic.) It's quite amazing to think that the 281 metre Trump will be rather hard to see when it is finished. It will be boxed in on all sides by buildings taller, or nearly as tall as it.

Here's Bay-Adelaide and the progress thus far:
Posted by Jackhammer:

Some photos from the Bay Adelaide Centre website.

Wide shot:

There are in the neighbourhood of 30 major towers going up, so perhaps, I'll introduce another building to be built on an incredibly small plot of land. This is Daniel Libeskind's L Tower. It is 57 storey's and will be one of the few towers to be built east of the CBD. Groundbreaking is this spring. First the plot:

Posted by gbelan:

The tower:
Posted by 3Dementia:

Last edited by isaidso; April 15th, 2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old April 15th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #346
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

You mentioned an historic facade,what is historic about it?To me a historical building is where something of importance happen,such as a battle.
novaguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:45 PM   #347
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6522

thx for the update of Bay Adelaide, will have a great impact in the skyline
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #348
isaidso
the new republic

No problem. I bladed by it today and it's already quite imposing. You have to go all the way back to 1991 when BCE Place went up since Toronto got an office tower of this scale. The biggest impact will obviously be from the east and west.

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaguy View Post
You mentioned an historic facade,what is historic about it?To me a historical building is where something of importance happen,such as a battle.
Perhaps, you should check the definition of historical. It is much broader than the extremely narrow meaning you have attached to the word.

Last edited by isaidso; April 16th, 2008 at 07:34 AM.
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #349
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

There's a least a dozen new big projects that haven't even been mentioned here... once I get organized I'll try to help Caltrane out a bit with info.

Slowdown? Toronto is going in the opposite direction.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM   #350
isaidso
the new republic

The Union (Telus) Tower going up in Lower Toronto is now above street level. The Air Canada Centre is next door while across the street, the 2 towers of Maple Leaf Square are also under construction. First an aerial shot of the 2 sites:

image hosted on flickr

Taken by: http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/

Then Telus:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianNational View Post
April 24, 2008

Maple Leaf Square:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinsizon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackhammerTO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by croman View Post

Quote:
April 24, 2008

The view looking the other way towards the Skydome (Rogers Centre):

Quote:
The unexpected beginnings of a Bremner Streetwall......
I might add that 3 towers have been proposed on the next lot down from Maple Leaf Square. One is an office tower (31 floors), the other 2 are condo towers (55 & 65 floors). This entire area will have gone from a massive undeveloped tract of land to a wall of towers in just 5 years.

Last edited by isaidso; April 29th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM   #351
isaidso
the new republic

Here's another 3 towers under construction in a different part of town. This is just west of the CBD. At the top, where University Avenue widens is the Shangri-La. Near the bottom is the RBC Centre. Right next door, to the left is the Ritz-Carlton.

image hosted on flickr

from svoisen at www.flickr.com
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM   #352
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

is toronto currently having a boom?
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:30 PM   #353
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

think so
Old May 2nd, 2008, 02:48 AM   #354
isaidso
the new republic

There are about 30 major towers going up or about to go up. Here's a good summary. The black towers are the ones under construction or approved. The Shangri-La, RBC, and Ritz are the 3 black towers shown hugging the shaft of the CN Tower. RBC actually looks more grey than black in this depiction. Bay-Adelaide and Trump are barely visible because they are behind the main bank tower cluster.

Maple Leaf Square and Union Telus in Lower Toronto are south of the Royal York Hotel. The 3 other towers proposed directly west of them is not shown here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
[IMG]http://i22.************/e5itmd.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by isaidso; May 2nd, 2008 at 03:08 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 04:56 PM   #355
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

wow
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:46 AM   #356
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

here's another new condo on the way, "FashionHouse", at 560 King St. W..only a midrise, but quite stylish, imo...

yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM   #357
Coral Builder

Likes (Received): 0

That is a cool looking building..
Coral Builder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM   #358
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

still can't believe how wonderful the skyline of toronto will be in the near future....especially downtown
Old May 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #359
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

here's the first proper render for the upcoming 3 tower project at 16 York St. in Toronto, as posted by cruzin4u at urbantoronto...

Project is called - Ice Condos at York Centre.

2 High-rise condos at 65 and 55 stories. 1 31 storey 800,000 sq ft office building. Design by Peter Clewes. LEED certified. Designed in a Scandinavian Designed theme with perhaps the largest green roof ever developed in Toronto.

yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:34 AM   #360
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

That area is absolutely insane. It's been completely transformed in the last 5 years. These towers look incredibly sexy.

Tags
toronto