daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #421
yyzer

Likes (Received): 42

and some interior shots by wyliepoon at urbantoronto.ca....

inside the glass facade...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

next 3 pics by interchange42 at urbantoronto.ca...the Gehry touch in evidence with the staircase..

image hosted on flickr

back of the building is in blue titanium...

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
yyzer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #422
Vanman

Likes (Received): 26

The wood looks fantastic! It's supposedly cedar, I wonder if it came from BC.
Vanman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #423
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Methinks it's Douglas fir not cedar.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #424
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

A fabulous building. I could only stay for 2 hours, but only got through floors 5 and 4. I'll have to make a few more trips back there.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:53 AM   #425
You are to blame

Likes (Received): 95

From another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
With all the economic doom and gloom this fall, I thought I would send a postcard to amuse my fellow skyscraper geeks.

I couldn't find the original "future skyline" thread started a year ago, so I'll start a new one that others can contribute to if they wish.

WHY THE NEW TORONTO WATERFRONT RENDER: last year I did a
future render of Toronto's waterfront skyline that was well-received, but
after looking at it recently, I realized it was little more than blobs of light "to
scale" ... so I decided to try again with an aim to create much more photo-realism
for each and every building that is joining the waterfront skyline.

The rather dramatic impact of Maple Leaf Square and ICE Condos from the
waterfront POV really fueled the desire to do this render (along with waaaay
too much spare time). I've included a couple of new proposals that will
likely be delayed by the economic situation, but they don't add much to the
render anyway. The lion's share of the projects included are well underway.

THE PROJECTS KEY: there's bound to be some mistakes but the
heights, locations and status are pretty accurate.

HIGH ANGLE PIC: I included this for forumers who don't know the city or what's hiding behind the waterfront skyline
they may already know (most photographed). This high angle render hints at the "big Toronto skyline"...
5 or 6 miles of built form running north from Lake Ontario
(mostly invisible BEHIND the waterfront skyline).

REALLY BIG WATERFRONT RENDER: there's a LINK below to a very large render if you want to critique individual buildings
(most additions were based on the actual elevations when available).

Feel free to spam as many forums and threads as you deem appropriate with the renders.

And let me know what you think. I was fun to do.

Cheers.

-

-
PROJECTS KEY:

-
BEHIND THE WATERFRONT SKYLINE:

-
LINK TO LARGE RENDERING

Old November 21st, 2008, 07:30 AM   #426
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12193

OMG, I can't stop staring at all that. Maldive is truly a god (or possibly a goddess!!).
Old November 21st, 2008, 08:07 AM   #427
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

gosh that is just amazing.
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:57 PM   #428
novaguy
novaguy

Likes (Received): 19

Really good work.Love it.
novaguy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:56 PM   #429
elliot

COPYRIGHTED - DO NOT REPOST THESE RENDERINGS IN OTHER FORUMS WITHOUT PERMISSION. THANK YOU.

With all the economic doom and gloom this fall, I thought I would send a postcard to amuse my fellow skyscraper geeks.

I couldn't find the original "future skyline" thread started a year ago, so I'll start a new one that others can contribute to if they wish.

WHY THE NEW TORONTO WATERFRONT RENDER: last year I did a
future render of Toronto's waterfront skyline that was well-received, but
after looking at it recently, I realized it was little more than blobs of light "to
scale" ... so I decided to try again with an aim to create much more photo-realism
for each and every building that is joining the waterfront skyline.

The rather dramatic impact of Maple Leaf Square and ICE Condos from the
waterfront POV really fueled the desire to do this render (along with waaaay
too much spare time). I've included a couple of new proposals that will
likely be delayed by the economic situation, but they don't add much to the
render anyway. The lion's share of the projects included are well underway.

THE PROJECTS KEY: there's bound to be some mistakes but the
heights, locations and status are pretty accurate.

HIGH ANGLE PIC: I included this for forumers who don't know the city or what's hiding behind the waterfront skyline
they may already know (most photographed). This high angle render hints at the "big Toronto skyline"...
5 or 6 miles of built form running north from Lake Ontario
(mostly invisible BEHIND the waterfront skyline).

REALLY BIG WATERFRONT RENDER: there's a LINK below to a very large render if you want to critique individual buildings
(most additions were based on the actual elevations when available).

Feel free to spam as many forums and threads as you deem appropriate with the renders.

And let me know what you think. I was fun to do.

Cheers.

-

-
PROJECTS KEY:

-
BEHIND THE WATERFRONT SKYLINE:

LINK TO LARGE RENDERING

Last edited by elliot; January 10th, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old November 21st, 2008, 07:15 PM   #430
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

That's crazy. And most of that should be built by 2013.
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:31 PM   #431
isaidso
the new republic

And then they'll be building East Bayfront and the mouth of the Don Valley! The waterfront skyline will stretch much further than even this new render.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:58 PM   #432
elliot

The western waterfront skyline has a big headstart, however when the East Bayfront (which is zoned for some tall towers at key intersections-Jarvis, Sherbourne, Parliament + substantial mid-rises closer to the water's edge), and the talls about to begin construction at the Distillery District, are all completed...

Toronto will have... appropriately... a huge T - shaped skyline... the spine of built form running for miles north from the lake... and the east/west skyline along the lake (the top of the "T" so to speak).
Old November 23rd, 2008, 12:55 AM   #433
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

[IMG]http://i37.************/33vkhug.jpg[/IMG]

Lovely image of the new AGO post by Whoaccio on UT
Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #434
isaidso
the new republic

The AGO is a huge asset to our country. As local boy, Frank Gehry said, this place "is going to knock their socks off". I went, and it does.

Old January 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM   #435
Elkhanan1

Likes (Received): 55

New rendering of Īce Condos/York Centre (16 York St., CadFair/Lanterra, 65 + 55 + 31s, aA), posted by Solaris on UT:

Elkhanan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #436
jonovision

Likes (Received): 1

Wow! These towers look great!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #437
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

They're definitely cool. Ice cool.
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #438
isaidso
the new republic

I never noticed how the tower is actually shifted out half way up. I always thought it was just a break half way up. I'm still not sold on that weak base, however. I'd much prefer if the shorter office tower extended south to cover the entire lot at about 10 floors and have the condo towers shoot up from that.

Maple Leaf Square across the street incorporates a similar design to great effect. The proximity of the elevated Gardiner Expressway should make the argument for such a design even more compelling than the street level benefits alone.

Old February 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #439
elliot

A couple of new (I think) pics of the curvy Absolute towers u/c in Mississauga (Toronto suburb).

Old February 11th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #440
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17790

Women's College makeover a step closer
Community council okays the hospital's renovation plans, final approval up to city hall

10 February 2009
Toronto Star

Plans for the massive redevelopment of Women's College Hospital, which include the demolition of the main building on the site, took a big step closer to getting final city hall approval.

The project got the go-ahead from Toronto and East York community council yesterday.

Approval from city council is required before proceeding with redevelopment, which would introduce to the site a state-of-the-art ambulatory care facility by the time it is complete, around 2015.

The plan also calls for teaching and research facilities and outpatient clinical services, catering primarily to women. The hospital would not have an emergency wing receiving ambulances from across the city, and would not provide in-patient services.

The hospital would run from roughly 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. five days a week, with perhaps some extended hours for clinics, officials say.

In all, the block bordered by Grenville, Bay and Grosvenor Sts. and Surrey Place, will be redeveloped.

The project will cost "hundreds of millions" of dollars, and funding will come from the province.

A call for proposals will go out in May to seek a consortium that will design, build and maintain the facility, said Gregory Colucci, of Diamond and Schmitt Architects, a firm behind the project.

It's hoped construction could begin next spring. A new, seven-storey structure spanning from Grenville to Grosvenor will later connect to a new, six-storey structure to form one building.

The project also calls for the demolition of a 1920s-style mid-rise rental building on Grosvenor.

Some members of the public voiced anger at yesterday's community council meeting over the fact the neo-Georgian-style building - listed on the city's inventory of heritage properties - is slated for demolition.

Councillor Sandra Bussin, who sits on the community council, called for further discussion on finding a way to work the apartment building's facade into the project.

"It's a travesty this structure is going to be demolished," Bussin said, calling its architecture an impressive part of Toronto's history.

Her motion failed.

The community council heard the apartment's facade doesn't work with the design of the new hospital or the other buildings in the area.

Plus there are several similarly styled apartments in other spots downtown, Michael McClelland, an expert on architecture and building conservation, told the community council.

Instead, designers will look into ways to incorporate features of the apartment building, such as columns and arch windows, into the hospital project.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto