daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2011, 04:38 AM   #581
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2584

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcan View Post
If he'd kill for Toronto's subway I wonder what he'd do for New York's or Seoul's...
You can't compare New York and Seoul with Toronto. Toronto is far too small to be compared to those two. If anything, you can compare it to Chicago or Sydney.

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #582
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcan View Post
If he'd kill for Toronto's subway I wonder what he'd do for New York's or Seoul's...
^ I rest my case.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #583
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

Lago Condos
CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #584
CanadianSkyScraper

Likes (Received): 39

154 Front Street East
http://blog.mycondomylife.com/cityze...east-site.html

CanadianSkyScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:20 AM   #585
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

I love it, do you know when the construction starts for this lowrise office building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSkyScraper View Post
284 King Street East, Office Building
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM   #586
94rocket
AUGUST

Likes (Received): 9

I want already to see the projects lagos condos and 154 Front Street East either finished it turns out to be brilliant!
94rocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM   #587
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
You can't compare New York and Seoul with Toronto. Toronto is far too small to be compared to those two. If anything, you can compare it to Chicago or Sydney.
You know perfectly well that Toronto's subway 'system' is massively under built. Comparing it to cities that are doing as bad or even worse is of no consolation. Madrid has the same metropolitan population as Toronto and has 292 km of subway. Toronto has 68.3 km??? Toronto isn't even the longest subway system in Canada anymore, it's slipped to 3rd behind Montreal (69.2 km) and Vancouver (68.7 km).

Toronto gets a D- for public transit. It sucks beyond belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #588
whizz_pat

Likes (Received): 24

Quite a coincidence that the 3 largest metro systems in Canada are within 1km of each others' length.
whizz_pat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #589
Marcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
You know perfectly well that Toronto's subway 'system' is massively under built. Comparing it to cities that are doing as bad or even worse is of no consolation. Madrid has the same metropolitan population as Toronto and has 292 km of subway. Toronto has 68.3 km??? Toronto isn't even the longest subway system in Canada anymore, it's slipped to 3rd behind Montreal (69.2 km) and Vancouver (68.7 km).

Toronto gets a D- for public transit. It sucks beyond belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metro_systems
I'm just comparing it to cities of similar size, Madrid would count. So yes, our subway system is definitely lacking. The politics in this city trumps public transit every time it seems. And part of the reason why we don't have subways along major routes like Queen is because of the streetcar line. The Queen subway was supposed to be built, but pro-streetcar enthusiasts had it canceled. I'd love to see a subway on Queen, but if it's to sacrifice our streetcars, then I don't want it.

Still, a subway connection to the airport is a must. I'm dumbfounded that we still don't have one. Plus, Eglinton needs a subway line, as does Finch. The Bloor line should be extended to at least Sherway Gardens. The Spadina line is finally being extended, so that's a move in the right direction. Though I wish we could be as proactive as Madrid.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #590
isaidso
the new republic

As much as I don't like Ford, I'm pleased that he's actually attempting to build more subway. If he can get the Eglinton Line built, the Sheppard Line extended, and the airport link, it will be a big achievement that will be difficult to dismiss. What I really want is the Downtown Relief Line. It made sense a few decades ago when it was first proposed and it still makes sense today.

Queen Street? A problem with building streetcar routes that should really be subways is that once they're built we're not exactly going to rip them up to build a subway because we've already spent billions. Build it right the first time.. even if it means we get less kilometres of track. If we don't we'll be stuck with that compromise (streetcars) for a very very long time. Queen is testament to that.

Queen should always have been a subway, but we're stuck with it being a streetcar route because that's what we built. Some cities are dense enough to have both subway and bus running almost on top of each other. London, for example. There are so many commuters that they're both full. Queen isn't there, but might one day. Yonge (up to Bloor) is busy enough to support a subway and surface transportation, but there are far more pressing bottlenecks.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 5th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #591
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizz_pat View Post

Quite a coincidence that the 3 largest metro systems in Canada are within 1km of each others' length.
I was surprised the first time I dug the numbers up. I knew Montreal's system was somewhat decent for the size of the metro, but still expected it to be a tad smaller than Toronto's. Vancouver was the biggest surprise.

Last edited by isaidso; April 5th, 2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 6th, 2011, 04:03 AM   #592
Marcanadian

With the extension of the Spadina line, we'll reclaim that title. I agree with you on the DRL by the way. Sarah Thomson was really promoting that, it's a shame nobody listened to her. I think she was the only one out of the lot that had any sort of vision.
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #593
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17796

Ryerson's glass dazzler for Yonge
Christopher Hume
6 April 2011
The Toronto Star

You don't have to go to school to see that education isn't what it used to be.

Pretty soon, that will be clear to anyone wandering past the corner of Yonge and Gould where Ryerson University is constructing its new Student Learning Centre, the most exciting building to appear on Yonge in decades.

Forget the old days of airless classrooms, squeaky blackboards, fluorescent fixtures and tomblike silence; in the new world of academe, the hallowed halls have morphed into open expanses filled with light and other people.

Designed by Norway's leading architectural export, Snohetta, with Toronto's Zeidler Partnership, the centre will be an exquisite glass sculpture that addresses the city as well as the Ryerson campus. Fully transparent, it will expose the university to the city as it lets in the light, until now a rare commodity at the school. "It's a library," Ryerson president Sheldon Levy explains, "but in a 21st-century way."

"It actually has no books," adds Snohetta co-founder Craig Dykers. "It's more like the traditional salon."

"This building," says Levy, "puts students in the middle of things."

In other words, the centre isn't just something to look at, an architectural artifact, but a space to experience. Though only time will tell, the signs look good. Models and computer renderings show a seven-storey building, corners removed, walls tilted, open at street level where a wide avenue of stairs leads up to a covered square.

Inside, each floor has its own character. The sixth, for example, called "the Beach," is a large terraced room with seating scattered throughout and little else. As much as anything, it looks like a great place to hold a party, a fact that should not be misconstrued as criticism. After all, the new educational model assumes that learning is best done in groups.

From cloister to open concept, teaching has progressed from self-directed and one-on-one to group study and now, "disruptive learning."

Whispering has given way to the buzz of students happily collaborating.

The centre has a space for different needs; on some floors, rooms will have to be booked, on others, there are no rooms.

As Dykers likes to say, we've gone from the medieval notion of the university as a kind of monastery for scholars to the ancient Greek ideal of the agora, or marketplace, where people exchange goods as well as ideas.

This same approach can be seen on the exterior, which cleverly balances the retail on Yonge and the basement below, with an open public square on the second level. It leads effortlessly to a lobby where a second grand stairwell goes up to the floors above.

But if it all sounds like fun and games, keep in mind that there will be 2,000 study spaces in the new centre, which also connects to Ryerson's 1970s library next door. The two buildings stand at opposite ends of the cultural and architectural spectrum. The newer of the pair is transparent, open and outward looking; the older cut off and self-contained. When you enter the latter, you leave the city behind. Enter the former, you bring it with you.

Given that the building sits just metres from downtown's busiest intersection and mall, it also plays a role in the daily drama of the city. In addition to two floors of shops, it will serve as beacon, landmark and icon of the new Toronto, which, like Ryerson, is being transformed.

Construction of the $112 million building will begin in January, and be finished in 2015. The province has committed $45 million; the rest must still be raised.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #594
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Likes (Received): 12

Renders?
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #595
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

That's a great project for Toronto, but i would like to see some renders as well
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #596
hkskyline
Hong Kong

More : http://www.ryerson.ca/news/media/spotlight/slc/

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM   #597
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2878

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSkyScraper View Post
1 Sultan St

I like this design very much.
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #598
94rocket
AUGUST

Likes (Received): 9

Yeah! perfect projects that are realized in toronto, I already would like to see all of them finished.
94rocket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #599
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Looks much better and more intimately-scaled than the horrendous 1 King West "preservation".

Old April 7th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #600
filcan
mega manila | megacity

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Wow...this is gonna be great for the Yonge/Dundas area. The Yonge renaissance continues.

Tags
toronto