daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2011, 01:45 AM   #681
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

TORONTO | 156 Front Street West | 234 M/768 FT - 54 FL | 222 M/728 FT - 65 FL

Massing model for this development:

Taller tower is office (54 FL), shorter is residential (65 FL )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster on SkyscraperPage View Post
Here's a better idea of what is coming:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2011, 04:57 AM   #682
tigresstronic
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Toronto is really beautiful!

Last edited by tigresstronic; February 28th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
tigresstronic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:37 PM   #683
Travis007

111 Bathurst Street | Proposed | ??? st | ??? m | Downtown / King West

Renderings from Core Architects, via Urbandreamer on UrbanToronto:

http://www.corearchitects.com/projec...n/111-bathurst

Old September 28th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #684
eltodesukane

Likes (Received): 5

Glass crashes to ground from 2nd Toronto condo, CBC News, Posted: Aug 3, 2011 6:55 AM ET:
>> they had exactly the same problem in Montreal at The Big Library near the Bus Station.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...l-library.html
eltodesukane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #685
Travis007

Picasso Condominiums

Link found by Urbandreamer on UrbanToronto

http://picassocondo.ca/

Last edited by Travis007; September 30th, 2011 at 03:02 PM.
Travis007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #686
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17783

Perhaps this is fueling the condo boom :

Why living downtown has become more attractive
Toronto Star
Sun Oct 09 2011

When Jeff Walker purchased his home a decade ago in downtown Ottawa, environmental sustainability and transportation costs were a big reason.

“I had to sacrifice 20 per cent more space and yet pay 20 per cent more for the home, but I figured it was worth it,” said Walker, who is a vice-president and chief strategy officer at the Canadian Automobile Association. “I think it’s a calculus that many home owners do, especially since transportation in terms of time and money becomes a significant monthly overhead.”

The Toronto Board of Trade says the most pressing issue for the Toronto area is gridlock, costing the region $6 billion annually. A poll conducted for the board released last week says 61 per cent believe traffic congestion is at “crisis proportions.”

According to a Statistics Canada survey released in August, the Greater Toronto Area was once again the worst place to commute in Canada at 33 minutes.

Commute times and gas prices are two very big reasons that some buyers like Walker are avoiding the suburbs, even if they can get a bigger bang for their buck.

According to a recent U.S. based survey of agents by realty firm Coldwell Banker, the high cost of gasoline and long travel times is a major factor in influencing some home purchasing decisions.

Three quarters of agents said the a spike in gas prices influenced their clients’ decisions on where to live. Another 93 per cent said if gas prices continued to rise, more home buyers would choose to live somewhere closer to work.

“There is an implicit price that has to be paid for the length of a commute, whether it is in gas or in time,” said Phil Soper, CEO and president of Royal Lepage Real Estate Services. “The invisible hand of commerce is in the decision making process of urban verses suburban. People get a discount if they live in the suburbs and a premium when they live downtown.”

The 2004 documentary The End Of Suburbia argued that suburban sprawl is unsustainable. And that was when domestic crude was in the $37 range - where it has more than doubled today.

“America took all its post war wealth and invested it into something that has no future,” say the filmmakers.

That same year a study by University of Toronto civil engineering professor Eric Miller concluded that commuting costs and the extra expense of running a larger suburban home often eat into any mortgage savings.

What surprised Miller was that a similarly valued home in the suburbs also ended up costing more to run. That’s because you get more space for the dollar in the 905 compared with the 416.

But more space means higher utilities and maintenance.

The study didn’t include the value of time spent in the car traveling or the environmental impact of more pollution.

“I think the finding was that there is no such thing as cheap land, the further out you go, the more it will cost you,” said Miller. “And that comparison would be even more dramatic today since the cost of gas, cars and parking has gone up since then.”

The study didn’t factor in the fact that downtown areas, which are becoming increasingly more attractive to buyers, tend to increase more in value than suburban areas.

(A 2008 study by Royal LePage found that a standard detached bungalow in Toronto would have appreciated by 104 per cent over a ten year period compared to a similar bungalow in the 905 at 78 per cent.)

“As gas prices rise I think there is an implicit discount on suburban prices, because there is a greater cost to the consumer,” said Soper. “You see that in so many areas of Toronto. There are neighbourhoods that are a ten minute commute from downtown, but you are paying a lot more for a tiny plot of land because of that.”

Gina Gokaldas, 24, says she moved downtown after a year and a half living in a new Markham condominium because of the long commute.

“It just took too long to get to work,” said Gokaldas, who moved to Markham from Montreal in 2009. “I just spent way too much out of my day traveling.”

Gokaldas says she chose Markham initially because of the value.

“Everything in my price range was like a shoebox downtown, so when I saw the property in Markham I was sold,” says Gokaldas.

Gokaldas paid about $300,000 at the time for her 900 square foot apartment. Similar apartments she said were almost half the size in the downtown area.

But the commute finally got to Gokaldas. Earlier this year she sold her home. She is now renting an apartment a block away from the Eaton Centre and it takes her 20 minutes on the subway to get to work.

“It’s night and day, although I miss the space I had,” says Gokaldas, who now lives in about 500 square feet until she decides to buy again.

Still, despite the dire predictions, sales in the suburbs have been doing well, even with high gas prices. While many potential home buyers are looking for places closer to the central core because of high transportation costs, affordability in the 416 has become a serious issue.

“Gas savings are certainly an incentive, but we have a lot of clients looking at the 905, not because they don’t like the 416, it’s because they can’t afford to find a house in their price point down there,” said Dave Elfassy, an agent with Right At Home Realty. “You might save some money in transportation costs, but you’re really giving up on space. They’re figuring it will tack on another 45 minutes to go to work, but they can live in a monster home in Richmond Hill, as opposed to a semi or a condo downtown.”

So, bigger space, or a stress free commute. While the dilemma for home buyers isn’t new, the reality is that the divide has never been more dramatic in an era of rising energy costs and home prices.

“Maybe the answer is to find that job in the burbs or work from home,” laughs Elfassy.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #687
Travis007

Karma Condos

http://www.facebook.com/LifetimeDevelopments

Old October 16th, 2011, 04:40 AM   #688
Eno
Unqualified anti-expert.

Location: Toronto / Kraków / South Central Nowa Huta / Pazdanland
Likes (Received): 5407

@Travis - what's the status of 156 Front. St. West?
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:08 PM   #689
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New lakeside home for RBC
Published On Fri Oct 14 2011
Toronto Star

A rendering of RBC's new national headquarters, Waterpark Place. A rendering of RBC's new national headquarters, Waterpark Place.

The Royal Bank of Canada is heading south.

RBC will be moving its national headquarters from Bay Street to a new office tower on Queen’s Quay starting in 2014, the bank announced Friday.

The new 30-storey tower is being built as a joint venture between Oxford Properties and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. RBC will occupy roughly 550,000 square feet of RBC WaterPark Place, as the $465-million development will be known. Ellis Don Corp. will be the main contractor on the new building, which will have a total of 930,000 square feet of office space.

The RBC executive organizing the move said heading to the new offices isn’t a shot at Bay Street, which has long been Canada’s financial capital.

“Bay Street will always be Bay Street,” said Linda Mantia, RBC’s senior vice-president of enterprise services.

Mantia said RBC’s international headquarters will remain at Bay Street’s Royal Bank Plaza, and the bank will also maintain offices at RBC Centre near Roy Thomson Hall. The bulk of the 4,000 employees moving to the shore of Lake Ontario will instead come from several different downtown offices whose leases are coming due by 2014.

“It makes a lot more sense to have them in one place rather than a few hundred here and there. And this is a great building,” said Mantia. RBC WaterPark Place will carry the green-friendly LEED certification.

“We’ve always seen this as one of the best development sites in Toronto,” said Oxford CEO Blake Hutcheson of the building’s location, on the north side of Queen’s Quay between Bay Street and York Street. The site is currently occupied by a parking lot, and has been owned by Oxford for roughly 20 years.

By building the new office tower when the economy’s softening up, Hutcheson estimates Oxford will save between 6 and 10 per cent in construction costs.

Hutcheson insists the new building won’t be creating a glut of high-end office space in Toronto.

“This will be a drop in the bucket compared to the size of the overall market,” said Hutcheson, adding the vacancy rate for so-called Triple-A office space is just 5 per cent.

A senior official at one of the country’s biggest commercial real estate brokers agreed with Hutcheson. Even if the economy’s soft right now, says John O’Bryan, it won’t necessarily be by the time the building’s completed.

“It’s a very tight market. I absolutely think they’ll be able to fill the rest of the space. And they’ve got three years to do it,” said O’Bryan, deputy chairman of CB Richard Ellis.

Within the last two and a half years, roughly 4 million square feet of new or newly-renovated prime office space has come onto the market in downtown Toronto, pointed out O’Bryan, including the Bay-Adelaide Centre.

“It’s been almost completely snapped up,” said O’Bryan.

What the new building will do, however, is give the “downtown south” area — south of Front Street — an economic push, O’Bryan predicted.

“I think this will help the retail sector there enormously,” O’Bryan said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 20th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #690
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

For the 1st time since joining SSC, I've lost track of what's what as far as Toronto proposals, U/C, approved, etc. There's just too much going on in this city. Maybe, I'll just sit back and let it all happen.

The astonishing part is that the repatriation of office space to downtown from the suburbs has only just begun. If the trend keeps gathering steam the pace of construction will only get more frenetic. I'm not going to recognize this place in 5 years. Downtown is just going to be colossal.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM   #691
Travis007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno View Post
@Travis - what's the status of 156 Front. St. West?
Still at a very preliminary stage. Realistically, 1-2 years away.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:20 PM   #692
Travis007

15 Mercer Street, Toronto

From BlackTowerTV:

http://blacktower.tv/BUILDINGS/UNDER...%20MERCER.html

Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:23 PM   #693
Travis007

Latest development news summary:

Quote:
460 YONGE ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 296426 STE 27 OZ Ward 27
- Tor & E.York Oct 20, 2011 --- --- --- ---

Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new mixed use building , 60 stories in height complete with 3 levels of commercial/office space, 599 residential units above and 196 parking spaces in a below grade parking structure.
Quote:
200 Dundas St. E

Application Number 11 295873 STE 27 OZ

Rezoning application to permit the redevelopment of the lands for a new mixed use building comprised of two towers 48 and 35 stories repsectively atop a podium ranging in height from 2 to 10 stories complete with grade related retail and office, 693 residential units above and 352 parking spaces in a below grade parking structure.
Quote:
90 HARBOUR ST

OPA / Rezoning 11 295626 STE 28 OZ Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Oct 19, 2011 --- --- --- ---

PROPERTY KNOWN AS BOTH 90 Harbour and 1 York St. OPA and Rezoning application for new mixed use development - 3 buildings - with common poidium ranging from 4 to 9 stories. 1 office building and 2 residential buildings Office building - 31 stories. 2 residential buildings - 70 stories - 1426 dwelling units. Shared parking with office and residential tower - 4 levels below grade - 791 parking spaces - (residential parkings spaces 411 - Commercial spaces - 380). 1300 bicycle parking spaces.
Quote:
Chaz on Charles seeking an additional 8 floors: height increase from 126.5 m to 151.4 m

Planning Report:http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-41519.pdf
Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:24 PM   #694
Travis007

Elevation drawings looks impressive. Potentially stunning building by RAW design. Looking forward to the full renderings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako on SSP View Post
MORE BREAKING NEWS!

Toronto proposal at 43 Gerrard St. W. to be 150+ metres

Planning Report: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2...file-41592.pdf

Including the mechanical penthouse, this tower will be 51 storeys and 154.65 metres. This will be an all rental building designed by RAW Design. Rumour is that it will be very colourful.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM   #695
kubachrick

Likes (Received): 26

I have to ask a question about average Canadian preference of living,
i see that a lot of residential high rises blossom these days,and it make me wonder what makes canadian who can afford himself a villa,to prefer a condo in a building,sometimes close to crowded highways ? is it a new trend of preferring live in a compact and accessible place in the city like in a high rise ?
kubachrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #696
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubachrick View Post
I have to ask a question about average Canadian preference of living,
i see that a lot of residential high rises blossom these days,and it make me wonder what makes canadian who can afford himself a villa,to prefer a condo in a building,sometimes close to crowded highways ? is it a new trend of preferring live in a compact and accessible place in the city like in a high rise ?
Canadians who can afford a villa, buy a villa. Other people buy condos in a high rise because it's affordable. People are also flocking back downtown from the suburbs as they crave the excitement, amenities, and walkability of the core.

You just can't buy a detached house downtown. They don't exist. If there are any, they're $3-4 million. (I don't consider Rosedale to be downtown, it's next to downtown). Almost all of my peers want to be downtown, but don't have $4 million kicking around.

The more puzzling question is why people choose high rise condos out in the suburbs. I suppose affordability comes into it again, but you can buy a condo downtown for almost as little as one out in the middle of nowhere.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old October 24th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #697
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I get a feeling the new condo owners downtown are not families but rather yuppies / new grad singles / young couples. Suburban lowrise developments are still doing well but I guess most of the attention on the press is the expensive downtown condo rather than the cheap suburban house.

Old October 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #698
isaidso
the new republic

Why do people have this idea that the downtown condo is more expensive than the suburban house? As a Toronto home owner I can vouch that it's the other way around. A condo is the most affordable option. There's also little price difference between a condo downtown and a condo in the suburbs so you may as well be downtown.

Btw, suburban low rise developments are an endangered species in Toronto. They're close to running out of land to develop due the green belt. It's go vertical or tell the 100,000 newcomers each year to pick another city to move to. Turning them away and stunting Toronto's growth just isn't in the cards. These are some of the reasons why Toronto is the condo capital of America. The downtown population is skyrocketing.

Vancouver is probably the only other Canadian city that's reached this tipping point of land scarcity, real estate costs, and strong population growth. It's also the only other Canadian city that builds a lot of high rise condominiums.

Last edited by isaidso; October 24th, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #699
hkskyline
Hong Kong

On a per square foot of land basis, the suburban house is definitely far cheaper. On an absolute basis the two numbers may be the space but you get far more space with a house.

There's still plenty of space in 905 land beyond Toronto's boundaries (what's the new area code overlaying 905 again?) to develop.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #700
kubachrick

Likes (Received): 26

In Israel,we have a common criticism on condos in highrise - that people in Israel don't know how to manage a quiet and tolerant life in a highrise,and this is make a neighbors fights.
Do people in toronto have a housing culture which they get along with neighbors in highrises ?
kubachrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto