daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2015, 11:00 PM   #1421
lezgotolondon
Pescara Über Alles

Likes (Received): 1523

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Even Torontonians seem gobsmacked at the growth taking place. The city has been expanding quickly for decades but it really hit a tipping point around 2005. Development has been frenetic for 10 years straight and it's becoming evident that we're experiencing one of those once in a century booms that transforms a place into something entirely different.

People keep waiting for the dust to settle but the construction shows no signs of letting up. Exciting times for sure.
the good thing is that the suburbs are nice, and the city is getting a lot densier in the core and in the suburban centres. (but I find Missisauga ugly as hell)

Still a lot to build before having a city centre comparable to Chicago but it's getting closer.

Sad note: public transportation

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:35 AM   #1422
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Surprising to many today but back in the 80s Toronto was often cited as a city with one of the best public transportation systems in north America. Decades of neglect and little investment have put us in a terrible position. Toronto's population has doubled to 6 million since then and we're in panic mode trying to expand the system to meet the new demands placed upon it.

The Golden Horseshoe (home to 9.2 million people) is spending massively on transit with $29 billion pegged over the next few years to bring the system up to where it should be. Despite the big investments we're chasing a moving target so the transit woes will be with us for many years to come.

Mississauga represents one of the last great gasps of the Canadian auto era. Lets not forget that southern Ontario - Michigan is where the NA auto industry is centred. I'm not sure what can be done there but they're trying to build a proper downtown in and around Square One, a giant mall in the city centre. They'll need some creative solutions and time will tell if they'll be successful.

Side note: The KPMB - West 8 - Greenberg design was chosen for the Jack Layton ferry terminal and park. The announcement was made over the weekend.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 15th, 2015 at 01:17 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 12:42 AM   #1423
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Smit View Post
Jack Layton Ferry Terminal and Harbour Square Park
Proposed | 1-2 st | ??? m | Central Waterfront

Skyscrapercity forum thread

Really nice. They need to improve the water front as much as they can.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #1424
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

Likes (Received): 1242

Quote:
Surprising to many today but back in the 80s Toronto was often cited as a city with one of the best public transportation systems in north America. Decades of neglect and little investment have put us in a terrible position. Toronto's population has doubled to 6 million since then and we're in panic mode trying to expand the system to meet the new demands placed upon it.

The Golden Horseshoe (home to 9.2 million people) is spending massively on transit with $29 billion pegged over the next few years to bring the system up to where it should be. Despite the big investments we're chasing a moving target so the transit woes will be with us for many years to come.

Mississauga represents one of the last great gasps of the Canadian auto era. Lets not forget that southern Ontario - Michigan is where the NA auto industry is centred. I'm not sure what can be done there but they're trying to build a proper downtown in and around Square One, a giant mall in the city centre. They'll need some creative solutions and time will tell if they'll be successful.

Side note: The KPMB - West 8 - Greenberg design was chosen for the Jack Layton ferry terminal and park. The announcement was made over the weekend.
I work in Mississauga near Square One. Last year two of my officemates sold their condos that are only a few minutes walk away from the office and moved to Liberty Village. That's how they disliked the place.
Where there is no vision, the people perish - Proverbs 29:18
Where there is vision, the people flourish - Peter Diamandis

So the generation now alive is the most important ever to walk the surface of the earth, for we will determine if we will reach a Type I civilization or fall into the abyss. - Dr. Michio Kaku

Agent Smit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 06:09 PM   #1425
isaidso
the new republic

I don't blame them. Liberty Village, despite a few flaws, is vibrant with people on the sidewalk. Missisauga's downtown is effectively a mall surrounded by its parking lot. Needless to say its completely devoid of people. You have to go inside a building (the mall) to realize that there are people about.

There are a lot of jobs in Mississauga. They've long had more people coming into it for work than leaving it for work. If they don't turn things around I can't see that continuing because they're going to have a tough time attracting/keeping staff. Your office mates are indicative of a larger problem.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Agent Smit, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 17th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #1426
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

L Tower
T/O | 58 st | 205 m | St. Lawrence

http://www.theltower.com/
Urban Toronto database

From Urban Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post
Today:

So the generation now alive is the most important ever to walk the surface of the earth, for we will determine if we will reach a Type I civilization or fall into the abyss. - Dr. Michio Kaku
Old April 19th, 2015, 01:35 AM   #1427
Harkonnen
Passionate coffee fanatic

Likes (Received): 322

My favorite corner in Toronto

Harkonnen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 02:05 AM   #1428
ThatOneGuy

They're finishing up two condo towers next to a wonderully rejuvinated pedestrianized old brewery, I'll get photos up soon.

Old April 20th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #1429
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

Bay Adelaide Centre East and North
U/C, Proposed | 44 st, 32 st | 192 m, 120 m | Financial District

Company website
Urban Toronto database

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
Urban Toronto got the inside scoop on renderings. It will not have recessed corners but will instead be a clean and simple box:

More here: http://urbantoronto.ca/database/proj...delaide-centre

From Urban Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
Toronto by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Riverdale Park by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Old April 21st, 2015, 06:19 AM   #1430
Eno
Unqualified anti-expert.

Location: Toronto / Kraków / South Central Nowa Huta / Pazdanland
Likes (Received): 5407

Let's not forget office construction as well. A lot of jobs are either moving back to the core or new ones are being created. in the 90s there was a massive exodus of business to the suburbs but now it's reversing. Substandard transit is the biggest issue facing this city and the region as a whole.

Eno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:47 AM   #1431
ThatOneGuy

Office buildings often tend to look much nicer than residentials, so I hope more are built, and not just blue flat glass boxes. Toronto could use a nice industrial-style skyscraper a-la-Richard Rogers.

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:53 AM   #1432
isaidso
the new republic

We haven't had one nice looking office tower built here in ages. The quality is there but every one that's gone up in the last 10 years has been quite forgettable: RBC Dexia, Telus, PWC, Bay-Adelaide, RBC, Bay-Adelaide II, etc.

Residential towers seem to get better each passing year while office design seems to have hit rock bottom. I'm hoping that 100 Adelaide West is a sign that we'll start seeing some effort put into office designs.

Maximalist, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 24th, 2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:57 PM   #1433
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

Karma Condos
(9 Grenville St)
U/C | 50 st | 166 m | Downtown

http://karmacondos.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post

Developer: Lifetime Developments, CentreCourt Developments
50 storeys

Courtesy of androiduk on UT. Another parking lot bites the dust.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 201658 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Jun 21, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 20-JUL-10, >>Proposal to relocate existing heritage house and construct new mixed use building containing office, retail and residential units - 46 stories above grade - 5 levels below grade parking - Parking space - 143 residential parking spaces - 356 residential dwelling units - floors 1-3 office / retail use.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=...204.63,,0,0.13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian View Post
Karma Condos by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:22 PM   #1434
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

Mirvish + Gehry Toronto (Theatre Row)
Proposed | 92 st + 82 st | 304 m, 272 m | Entertainment District

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
New renders courtesy of Toronto Skyscraper Blog and I'm not sure how I feel about these ones........

[IMG]http://i61.************/14946ci.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i61.************/31291t0.jpg[/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldenbg View Post
I think these will be some of the nicest buildings in North America upon completion!

Old April 24th, 2015, 03:19 AM   #1435
isaidso
the new republic

Mirvish-Gehry and The One will be game changers for Toronto. We haven't had anything of that calibre built since Scotia Plaza (1988) or TD Centre (1960s/1970s). They might even be better.

Old April 24th, 2015, 04:19 AM   #1436
mattymarttin

Likes (Received): 7

I love Canada

mattymarttin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #1437
Eno
Unqualified anti-expert.

Location: Toronto / Kraków / South Central Nowa Huta / Pazdanland
Likes (Received): 5407

Quote:
Mirvish-Gehry and The One will be game changers for Toronto. We haven't had anything of that calibre built since Scotia Plaza (1988) or TD Centre (1960s/1970s). They might even be better.
Agreed. It's a totally different league. They can't come fast enough.

Eno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #1438
ThatOneGuy

Crazy how Toronto hasn't built an iconic skyscraper for over 25 years. Can't wait to watch Gehry rise.

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:08 AM   #1439
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Crazy how Toronto hasn't built an iconic skyscraper for over 25 years. Can't wait to watch Gehry rise.
If anything we've been patient. 1991-2005 saw next to nothing built. 2005-2015 has been a skyscraper enthusiast's wet dream but we're still waiting for that true iconic building 10 years in. We really should have seen 2-3 such buildings so far.

Old April 24th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #1440
Agent Smit
Transhumanist

Mirvish Village Redevelopment
Proposed | Bloor & Bathurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin View Post

Tags
toronto