daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 1st, 2017, 12:03 AM   #1941
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
You must go up to Toronto itself...North America's best city in my opinion (more so than New York, and that's where I'm originally from).
We're in Miami for 3 weeks, then fly up to Boston for 8 days for a family function. We've got loads to cram in, but would love to visit Toronto .... if the US car hire firm allow it!!! Are the Niagara falls a couple of hours from Toronto?
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:19 AM   #1942
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10788

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandblast View Post
We're in Miami for 3 weeks, then fly up to Boston for 8 days for a family function. We've got loads to cram in, but would love to visit Toronto .... if the US car hire firm allow it!!! Are the Niagara falls a couple of hours from Toronto?
It's 128 km by road from Niagara Falls to Toronto so you can drive there in about 90 minutes; longer if there's congestion on the QEW. If you can't squeeze in Toronto but do go to Niagara Falls I'd suggest Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. It's a 20 minute drive north from the falls and one of the prettiest towns in Canada.

Btw, you can always take Amtrak into Toronto from Buffalo.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Sandblast liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 1st, 2017 at 12:44 AM.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 12:31 AM   #1943
Sandblast

Likes (Received): 2856

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
It's 128 km by road from Niagara Falls to Toronto so you can drive there in about 90 minutes; longer if there's congestion on the QEW. If you can't squeeze in Toronto but do go to Niagara Falls I'd suggest Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. It's a 20 minute drive north from the falls and one of the prettiest towns in Canada.

Btw, you can always take Amtrak into to Toronto from Buffalo.
Many thanks for the advise isaidso.

isaidso liked this post
Sandblast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 12:24 AM   #1944
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 816

The Falls are nice to see but IMO you really don't need to spending more than 6 hours there. I don't know the specifics of your trip but if you happen to have two days set aside for Niagara Falls then I think you could very well make a day trip to Toronto work. Spend the morning and afternoon at the Falls and then take the Maple Leaf Train to downtown Toronto at ~4:30pm (has stations in Niagara Falls on both sides of the border) and then you'd have the evening and following day to spend in Toronto. But this suggestion is based on a best-case-scenario so if you don't have that much time then I'd advise you wait until your next opportunity to travel to this side of the Atlantic and hopefully that next time you have a lot more time set aside to see Toronto

GO Transit also provides service between Niagara and Toronto which might provide more convenient times, though since you said you won't be able to drive to the Canadian side it might be a bit of a task to get to the station
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2017, 07:59 PM   #1945
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6870

PJ | Entertainment District

Official website: http://www.thepjcondo.ca

Project facts
  • Address: 283 Adelaide Street W
  • Developer: Pinnacle
  • Architect: Hariri Pontarini
  • Residential: 372 units
  • Height: 156m (512ft)
  • Floors: 48

March 28:

PJ Condos (283 Adelaide St W, Pinnacle International, 39s, Harir by drum118, on Flickr

Rendering:

Victoria123, jtr007 liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #1946
geoking66

Massey Tower | Financial District

Official website: http://www.themasseytower.com

Project facts
  • Address: 197 Yonge Street
  • Developer: MOD
  • Architect: Hariri Pontarini/ERA
  • Residential: 699 units
  • Height: 207m (679ft)
  • Floors: 60

2 April:

(@Edward Skira)

Rendering:

Old April 6th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #1947
geoking66

E | Yonge & Eglinton

Official website: http://bazis.ca/econdos/home.php

Project facts
  • Address: 8 Eglinton Avenue E
  • Developer: Bazis
  • Architect: Rosario Varacalli
  • Residential: 854 units
  • Height: 196m, 123m (643ft, 403ft)
  • Floors: 58, 38

March 29:

(@Edward Skira)

Rendering:

Old April 12th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #1948
geoking66

88 Scott Street | St Lawrence

Official website: http://88scott.com

Project facts
  • Address: 88 Scott Street
  • Developer: Concert
  • Architect: Page + Steele/IBI
  • Residential: 525 units
  • Height: 204m (669ft)
  • Floors: 58

April 8:

(@G.L.17)

Munwon, Victoria123 liked this post
geoking66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:42 AM   #1949
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Likes (Received): 1527

I've been out of touch with Toronto, how many highrises are being built at the moment?

I'm mostly interested in new development outside the already established city centre aka I'm interested in seeing how it's expanding.
lezgotolondon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #1950
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
I've been out of touch with Toronto, how many highrises are being built at the moment?

I'm mostly interested in new development outside the already established city centre aka I'm interested in seeing how it's expanding.
100m+ Buildings
Built: 277
Under Construction: 59
Proposed: 217

It would take a long time to categorize the data above by area. I'd estimate that 80% is occurring in the downtown bounded by the lake to the south, Don Valley to the east, Liberty Village to the west, and Yorkville to the north.

Most of the downtown construction is occurring outside the old CBD (where the bank towers are). The CBD is almost built out so we're seeing overflow in every direction from it. The Entertainment District and Liberty Village to the west saw the initial vertical push followed by areas north to Yorkville. Southcore (the area south between the CBD and the lake) was the next to see activity and now we're seeing proposals and construction to the east of the CBD all the way to the Don Valley.

In other words, all areas in the downtown are starting to see high rise construction but due to downtown's large geographic footprint it will take another 15-20 years before it becomes as tightly packed with highrises as the CBD.

This below is roughly downtown although it also depicts Rosedale (where it says Toronto Centre) in the upper right. Rosedale is downtown but consists of $5-$10 million houses on massive lots. There are other areas in the downtown that will see no highrise construction such as Cabbagetown, the University of Toronto, The Annex, Little Italy, Kensington, and the Toronto Islands.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898

Last edited by isaidso; April 13th, 2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old April 13th, 2017, 04:14 AM   #1951
isaidso
the new republic

The continued strong growth of the Greater Golden Horseshoe is beginning to fuel highrise construction outside the City of Toronto and the City of Mississauga. This urban region will eventually see 25-30 'nodes' develop that behave as mini-downtowns planned around transit hubs.

One in the early stages is located in York Region north of the City of Toronto. The City of Vaughan is experiencing massive population growth and plans are under way to build a 442 acre downtown called Vaughan Metropolitan Centre. Transit City Condos sits on a 100 acre site currently home to surface parking and big box stores. Plans call for 17 million ft▓ of residential, office, and retail space, organized around a marquee park.

Transit City Condos | City of Vaughan

Official website: http://transitcitycondo.ca/

Project facts
  • Address: York Regional Road 7
  • Proposal
  • Developer: SmartREIT and Centre Court Developments
  • Architect: Diamond Schmitt
  • Residential: 553 units
  • Height: Not Known
  • Floors: 55

Last edited by isaidso; April 13th, 2017 at 05:54 AM.
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:51 AM   #1952
isaidso
the new republic

An emerging node in the Greater Golden Horseshoe: Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

enrigue8, lezgotolondon, Jakejacob liked this post
Old April 13th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #1953
Mercenary

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
An emerging node in the Greater Golden Horseshoe: Vaughan Metropolitan Centre

It will probably be until 2040 before its as dense as the video.
Mercenary no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:51 PM   #1954
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Quote:
100m+ Buildings
Built: 277
Under Construction: 59
Proposed: 217

It would take a long time to categorize the data above by area. I'd estimate that 80% is occurring in the downtown bounded by the lake to the south, Don Valley to the east, Liberty Village to the west, and Yorkville to the north.

Most of the downtown construction is occurring outside the old CBD (where the bank towers are). The CBD is almost built out so we're seeing overflow in every direction from it. The Entertainment District and Liberty Village to the west saw the initial vertical push followed by areas north to Yorkville. Southcore (the area south between the CBD and the lake) was the next to see activity and now we're seeing proposals and construction to the east of the CBD all the way to the Don Valley.

In other words, all areas in the downtown are starting to see high rise construction but due to downtown's large geographic footprint it will take another 15-20 years before it becomes as tightly packed with highrises as the CBD.

This below is roughly downtown although it also depicts Rosedale (where it says Toronto Centre) in the upper right. Rosedale is downtown but consists of $5-$10 million houses on massive lots. There are other areas in the downtown that will see no highrise construction such as Cabbagetown, the University of Toronto, The Annex, Little Italy, Kensington, and the Toronto Islands.

Thanks wonderful post, I wish I could give it more likes.

Any chance of medium density developments?
High rises are cool in downtown but the residential one are not so good looking especially the recent ones on the waterfront plus I bet they are going to cost a fortune.

No projects for the middle class and poor people?

That Vaughan project is much better than Mississauga that looks really bad in my opinion
Old April 13th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #1955
geoking66

Jennifer Keesmaat, the chief planner for the city, has made a big push for the "avenues" concept of providing corridors of mid-rise infill along major arterial roads with better transit accessibility.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #1956
isaidso
the new republic

Those arterial roads are a key piece of the puzzle. They can't accommodate highrises due to what's next to most of it: 2 floor residential. 4-12 floor buildings are popping up on every major arterial road I've seen and they're already having an impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
It will probably be until 2040 before its as dense as the video.
Vaughan is one of the fastest growing satellite cities and will likely turn into an area of similar population to Mississauga. The difference is that urban planning policies support much higher densities/intensification. Instead of endless sprawl it will see highrises.

It might take till 2040 but it could just as easily be sooner due to how we grow our cities these days.

Last edited by isaidso; April 14th, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:36 AM   #1957
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezgotolondon View Post
Thanks wonderful post, I wish I could give it more likes.

Any chance of medium density developments?
High rises are cool in downtown but the residential one are not so good looking especially the recent ones on the waterfront plus I bet they are going to cost a fortune.

No projects for the middle class and poor people?

That Vaughan project is much better than Mississauga that looks really bad in my opinion
Thank you.

Toronto can't accommodate the 2.5 million expected within the next 2 decades without a multi-pronged approach. Most of our attention predictably gets focused on highrises and glamour projects but a huge amount of new construction is midrise and row housing. Toronto still builds detached housing but it's an ever shrinking piece of the pie.

I too prefer office to residential towers but the residential is getting much much better with each passing year. Consumers are getting more demanding, competition is intensifying, and developers are upping their game out of necessity. Quality is improving but we're also finally seeing a move away from all glass and spandrel. We still see some proposals like that but I'm pleased with what I see coming down the pipe. It's more attractive and aesthetically interesting for the most part.

Regarding housing for the poor, the city has teamed up with the development industry to build mixed income condo projects. Regents Park, a notorious 1960s housing estate, was the first big push in that direction. It's been a big success thus far. You can't tell the social housing from the market rate. Toronto is investing heavily to make sure the poor don't get left behind. It's not perfect but Regents Park gives one reason for optimism.

Vaughan does look more promising than Mississauga but it's more a matter of bad timing for Mississauga. In many ways, it represents the last great gasp in the era of the automobile. It went from farmers fields to 800,000 people in 25 years just as urban planning policies did a complete 180. They're trying to urbanize but there's not much one can do about vast tracts of auto-centric suburban sprawl. Perhaps they can create a proper downtown but it's far too early to tell. If they pull it off Mississauga will become a template for other auto-centric cities across north America.

lezgotolondon liked this post

Last edited by isaidso; April 14th, 2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #1958
lezgotolondon
Pescara ▄ber Alles

Quote:
Thank you.

Toronto can't accommodate the 2.5 million expected within the next 2 decades without a multi-pronged approach. Most of our attention predictably gets focused on highrises and glamour projects but a huge amount of new construction is midrise and row housing. Toronto still builds detached housing but it's an ever shrinking piece of the pie.

I too prefer office to residential towers but the residential is getting much much better with each passing year. Consumers are getting more demanding, competition is intensifying, and developers are upping their game out of necessity. Quality is improving but we're also finally seeing a move away from all glass and spandrel. We still see some proposals like that but I'm pleased with what I see coming down the pipe. It's more attractive and aesthetically interesting for the most part.

Regarding housing for the poor, the city has teamed up with the development industry to build mixed income condo projects. Regents Park, a notorious 1960s housing estate, was the first test big push in that direction. It's been a big success thus far. You can't tell the social housing from the market rate. Toronto is investing heavily to make sure the poor don't get left behind. It's not perfect but Regents Park gives one reason for optimism.

Vaughan does look more promising than Mississauga but it's more a matter of bad timing for Mississauga. In many ways, it represents the last great gasp in the era of the automobile. It went from farmers fields to 800,000 people in 25 years just as urban planning policies did a complete 180. They're trying to urbanize but there's not much one can do about vast tracts of auto-centric suburban sprawl. Perhaps they can create a proper downtown but it's far too early to tell. If they pull it off Mississauga will become a template for other auto-centric cities across north America.
if 2.5 million people are expected I suppose you have to build for 3.5 million people as the prices in Toronto have already been high for a long time and young people across the globe tend to prefer the inner city now and in addition to that majority of the new housing should be affordable.

That's a big challenge but also an opportunity.
I hope your politicians are doing something about it in addition to censoring free speech and imposing stupid gender pronouns.

Dale liked this post

Last edited by lezgotolondon; April 14th, 2017 at 01:45 AM.
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #1959
Eno
Unqualified anti-expert.

Likes (Received): 5413

There's no way that Toronto can accommodate another 2.5 million people, even the GTA would have a massive problem absorbing so many new residents. We'd need to be building at least three new subway lines like right now to even ponder that kind of population growth scenario.
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1960
wber
#bancars

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno View Post
There's no way that Toronto can accommodate another 2.5 million people,

Moscow 2000- 10mln
Moscow 2017- 12.3mln

P.S These car oriented plans are s**m
wber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags