daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2613

MISC | Park & Ride facilities

Does your city have a park & ride? An example of this was when I was in The East Coast. I stayed in Woodbridge Township in NJ and I took The NJ Transit to NY. We would drive the car from the house to The Metropark Station, park it and then take the train to Manhattan.

How about in your city and some pics?

Metropark Station in Edison, NJ.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by dimlys1994; March 11th, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #2
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Most suburban stations here have their own carparks but they're not very big. However, there's a huge abandoned General Motors factory that has its own station which is ripe for conversion into a park and ride facility.

Stations that sit on zone boundaries tend to get more park and ride passengers for obvious reasons though.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #3
johnsonooi

Likes (Received): 708

Kuala Lumpur, Melbourne and Sydney do have the park and ride facilities. I believe all the major cities do have this kind of facilities too.
johnsonooi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #4
Tyson

Likes (Received): 461

The majority of railway stations in Melbourne have parking facilities which are free. The inner suburban stations usually have smaller car parks but in the outer area some parking area are quite large.

Melbourne also has a specific Park'n'Ride program organised by the government where you drive most of the way into town and then park at either the museum or at the football stadium at Docklands and from there take a tram into the city. You buy a park and ride ticket which is the tram fare and the parking fare combined into one with a bit of a discount applied.
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #5
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1556

British cities are obsessed with Park and Ride. My city has four currently, 2 of them by bus and 2 by rail. There are 3 more rail ones on the cards and 6 more bus ones, as well as one for a tram.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

HK doesn't have a park and ride except for some stations. Most likely will be shopping mall carpark where either an MTR or KCR is connected.

Old July 11th, 2006, 01:53 PM   #7
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

HK did have park and ride facilities...

MTR promoted one at Tsim Tsa Tsui for a time being but like you said, as lng as there are shopping centres with car parks close to the stations, then it can be considered something close to a park and ride facility.

Melbourne doesn't have designated park and ride for trains but is not heavily promoted, as its a norm for Melbournians.

Tram park and ride is a bit of a expensive one, but aimed at the odd user to avoid driving within inner city.
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #8
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t
HK did have park and ride facilities...

MTR promoted one at Tsim Tsa Tsui for a time being but like you said, as lng as there are shopping centres with car parks close to the stations, then it can be considered something close to a park and ride facility.

Melbourne doesn't have designated park and ride for trains but is not heavily promoted, as its a norm for Melbournians.

Tram park and ride is a bit of a expensive one, but aimed at the odd user to avoid driving within inner city.
Well the only place in HK I know that is close to Park & Ride is The Hung Hom KCR station.

Old July 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #9
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Well the only place in HK I know that is close to Park & Ride is The Hung Hom KCR station.
There's a park and ride at Kam Sheung Road station.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #10
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Most suburban commuter train stations around Malm÷ have parking lots, but as far as I know, only some really use the park-and-ride system extensively. A lot of people live within walking or biking-distance to the stations anyway.
A lot of people ride their bicycles to the stations, bring the bicycle onboard the train and and continue on the bicycle towards their workplace in central Malm÷ or Copenhagen - since it's allowed to bring bicycles onboard all trains in the CPH/Malm÷ area, except for the Metro in CPH. I wonder what this is called - bike-and-ride?
Old July 11th, 2006, 08:50 PM   #11
degnaw

Likes (Received): 0

Here in Cincinnati (and probably in most other mid-sized us cities) the only transit service outside of 10 miles from downtown(pretty much) is park-and-ride to CBD bus service
degnaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #12
thatchio

There are 1,500 parking stalls along the Hiawatha LRT line in Minneapolis that tend to serve commuters going to the CBD.

Overall there were about 19,900 park-and-ride stalls in 2005 with 13,000 stalls in addition that were planned. Accroding to a plan from 2005, the 2004 average usage rate was 68% - or about 12,895 (of 19,111 stalls in 2004). In 2004, there were 125 facilities to park at.

For those who don't know, Minneapolis and St. Paul are neighboring cities...so of that 19,900 stalls, 10,993 were in the Minneapolis "travel corridor" and 4,192 were in the St. Paul "travel corridor."

Read more about the detailed report at: http://www.metrocouncil.org/parkride...May25_2005.pdf

Edit: I don't believe there is a charge to park - unless you park at one of the airport terminals that has extra parking capacity...

Last edited by thatchio; July 12th, 2006 at 07:04 AM.
thatchio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #13
FREKI
Lord of Legoland

Likes (Received): 6382

Almost all stations outside inner cities have it in Denmark on some scale...

But in Copenhagen I don't think it's very used, as most people either drive all the way to work, or use public transportation as the entire metro area is well covered.. or ofcause bike ( we have bike paths along ALL bigger streets, and most inner city residents use bike atleast doing the summer, and some like me year round ).
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #14
matthewcs

Likes (Received): 2

Vancouver has almost no park and ride facilities. Other than the WCE system, (and one in Surrey), I don't think there are any. Worse, the skytrain system stops at a lot of malls with big empty lots, but your legally not allowed to use them for park and ride or you can get towed. I would use transit so much more if I could park and ride!
matthewcs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #15
DrJoe
Registered Idiot

Likes (Received): 8

Most of Toronto's commuter rail stations are park and ride. I think there are about 50,000 spaces in total which covers 56 stations.

Parking is free but you can pay for a reserved spot if you choose.

Last edited by DrJoe; July 12th, 2006 at 06:43 AM.
DrJoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #16
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Chicago has park and rides... ranging from $1.50 to about $3ish for the whole day. Most of them in the $2 range unless the park&ride are new Midway airport and O'Hare. There are park&ride in many stations in Chicago.
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #17
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

And for another sort of park and ride, bicycle lockers are being installed at various stations in addition to the normal racks to encourage people to ride their bikes to the station. Normally, passengers are allowed to take bikes on the train but that's a very bad idea if you travel 9-5 considering the major overcrowding that occurs on most of Melbourne's lines.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM   #18
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcs
Vancouver has almost no park and ride facilities. Other than the WCE system, (and one in Surrey), I don't think there are any. Worse, the skytrain system stops at a lot of malls with big empty lots, but your legally not allowed to use them for park and ride or you can get towed. I would use transit so much more if I could park and ride!
No.

There are two in Richmond, one in Ladner, one in Tsawwassen, and more.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #19
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoe

Parking is free but you can pay for a reserved spot if you choose.
Make that a limited number of lots with "free" parking... and with a small window of parking (not weekdays)
Old July 12th, 2006, 08:39 AM   #20
Phanlax
Dungeonator

Likes (Received): 0

Many of the rail stations in LA have Park & Rides, space permitting, and there is also another type of park & ride called a Kiss & Ride, which is like a Park & Ride without the actual parking part of it. All the parking spcaes are free, except at the Union Station.