daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2006, 01:40 PM   #1
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Largest Buddhist pagoda in Europe

The largest Buddhist pagoda in Europe is currently being built in the suburbs of Paris. Located in Évry, 25 km (16 miles) south of Notre Dame Cathedral, the Khan Anh pagoda will be the largest Buddhist pagoda in Europe at 4,000 m² (43,000 sq. ft) when it is completed in 2010. Building materials and decorations come from Asia, such as the roof tiles made in a village of China using traditional methods. The pagoda will house a Buddhist congregation with monks. It will contain a library and will stage cultural and social events.

The project is led by the Vietnamese community of Greater Paris. Greater Paris already has the largest Eastern Asian community of Europe, approximately 400,000 people strong, mainly from French Indochina and mainland China. Here are some pictures from the French forum showing construction progress.

A 4 meters (13 ft) statue of the Buddha weighing 5 tonnes and covered with gold leaves was brought from Thailand in 2002.

brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #2
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Impressive! Is that the Dalai Lama on the photo? Only because we have a Buddist temple just 100m from our house (Vajradhara-Zentrum) and Thai or Vietnamese people we know are not very fond of Kadampa Buddhism - but I must confess that I don't know the differences of different Buddhist sects (I was only at the Dalai Lama meeting in Zurich, see last pics)

Another Buddhist Temple close to Aarau - interesting that these temples are accepted without any criticism while just in a town a few km away there was a big polemic and protest against a mosque with a minaret...

Old July 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

WOW. That's historical Asian architecture. ^ Kuesel . Alot of people are against Muslims now because of the wars and trouble in the Middle East. They also are immigrating in droves to Europe which irritates alot of people. You should know that.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Audiomuse
Civilization

Also-- Buddhism is percieved as more of a spirtual religion and not like Islam which tells of historical religious presence.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #5
Ĉsahĉttr

Likes (Received): 5

Heh, I love the very "traditional" concrete used to make it.

It's lovely though... bien.
Old July 14th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #6
Audiomuse
Civilization

^ As you can see from the first rendering, It will be painted in many exotic colors.
Old July 14th, 2006, 10:16 AM   #7
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

macon4ever: that was a rhetorical question - resp. not even a question

The situation is already so bad here that children that came originally from a muslim country, but have been grown up here and are totally integrated didn't get the Swiss passport while others had no problems. The situation is very bad and the percecution and phobia against muslims extremly high - clear it got worse after 9/11, but it started already before: after the communist block collapsed worldwide a new enemy image, also in Europe - had to be created, and so people remembered (not literally ) the siege of Vienna and the crusades. The mosque polemics started well before 9/11 (which was welcomed very well for to put more hatred against these people) I think. It's sad: you just have the "wrong religion at the wrong time" (the jews moslty permanent in periods in the last 1000 years ) and you are stamped as "evil", "enemy" or "unwanted"...
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #8
Pho-sure
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Disgraceful. A Vietnamese Buddhist temple using tiles and other materials from China.
Pho-sure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #9
Cannonball

And you whined before that I called you a Nazi!

And you claim you're a Buddhist? LOL!!!!
Cannonball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #10
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Wow, that's huge. What's the largest one now? It's interesting to see that the French didn't convert everyone to be Catholic like the Spainish in the Philippines.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #11
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho-sure
Disgraceful. A Vietnamese Buddhist temple using tiles and other materials from China.
You don't feel any shame that most of the donated money are from Chinese individuals and companies, do you?

There is a Vietnamese Buddhist temple in Hannover as well, but almost 80% of the money donated for the construction were from the Chinese community.
YelloPerilo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #12
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Wow, that's huge. What's the largest one now? It's interesting to see that the French didn't convert everyone to be Catholic like the Spainish in the Philippines.
They were not long enough in Vietnam and Chinese influenced cultures have a stronger backbone/ pride/ identity than other cultures.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Pho-sure
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball
And you whined before that I called you a Nazi!

And you claim you're a Buddhist? LOL!!!!
And you whined before that I called you a pig.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:39 AM   #14
Pho-sure
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo
You don't feel any shame that most of the donated money are from Chinese individuals and companies, do you?

There is a Vietnamese Buddhist temple in Hannover as well, but almost 80% of the money donated for the construction were from the Chinese community.
Do you feel any shame when pulling up such fictitious figures? Back up with what you said with facts because it seems to me like you're just spouting out sewerage.
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:49 AM   #15
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
you're so backward
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #16
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

This kinda diverts from the original purpose of the thread, but could the reason so much was donated by Chinese be due to the fact that there is a large Vietnamese population with Chinese ethnicity, and a large number of Vietnamese in China (and Hong Kong)?
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM   #17
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
And you whined before that I called you a pig.
Werent you banned previously?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #18
Pho-sure
BANNED

Do you think so?

Anyway, Vietnamese temples should be built with materials shipped from Vietnam if local materials are not available.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #19
YelloPerilo
BANNED

Quote:
Do you feel any shame when pulling up such fictitious figures? Back up with what you said with facts because it seems to me like you're just spouting out sewerage.
Sorry mate, I don't have numbers for the temple that was built in Hannover, Germany as it was built over ten years ago. My family along with other Chinese families and companies (at that time there were no Vietnamese companies to speak of) donated the majority of the construction bills, but the Chinese community never made a big deal out of it as it was a contribution everybody were happy to make. Until today, the Chinese community ist still the financial backbone of that temple.
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM   #20
brisavoine
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2346

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Actually, a large part of the Vietnamese people converted to Catholicism with French missionaries active in the country since the 18th century. It was the number one reason why France colonized Vietnam: to protect the Vietnamese Catholic communities and French missions there. The elites of the Republic of South Vietnam were all Catholics, and were known for persecuting the Buddhists back in the days of the Vietnam War. It is the Catholic community that emigrated the most after 1975, so many Vietnamese in France are actually Catholic.
brisavoine no está en línea   Reply With Quote