daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #21
Jelluh

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk
It looks very familiar, but I can't figure out what building I'm thinking of.
I think it looks like the New York Times Tower

check the construction update of the NY Times Tower
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351663
Jelluh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #22
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1546

cool tower
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 09:34 PM   #23
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

great project, i hope it'll be over 300m
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #24
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pon
is it 308m or 280m?
280 to the roof but the facade sticks out a little so official height will be 308m
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #25
Phobos

I like it a lot.Great tower!
Old July 15th, 2006, 10:40 PM   #26
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It looks really elegant and well-situated.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 02:25 AM   #27
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

strike another 300m+ beaute to HK's repertoire

DUBAI 2006 -- Welcome!! :)
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:02 AM   #28
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Beautiful tower! Love how it sort of splits on the top.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #29
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61061

Smooth tower, it will be a good addition to the Eastern side of the skyline!
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #30
SanMiguel
In Love with HK & BKK

Likes (Received): 60

I think i know where this project is located and if i'm right i have taken some aerials of the site during my helicopter rides.
Will post them as soon as i have my new internet access at my new home, hopefully access will b possible in next week.

SanMiguel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #31
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
From the UK forums:

2006-07-14 > New Hong Kong Supertall Under Construction

A new 70 floor office skyscraper is underway in the former British colony of Hong Kong, the One Island Estate Center. Originally planned to be a mere 36 floors, the ambitious developer Swire Properties Ltd had the development substantially jacked up in height and redesigned by architect Wong & Ouyang.
It will contain 141,000 square metres of space and 59 office floors within the form that bares more than a slight resemblance to the also under construction International Commerce Centre in Kowloon.
Like that design, it has offset glass curtain walling and four primary facades that extrude at the top. The differences between the two buildings are found mostly in the lack of tapering in the One Island design and the curving corners that reduce the bulk.
The tower will stand over a new public plaza with a vast airy entrance giving the impression that it hovers above the ground adding to the 60 restaurants and cafes already in the area.
The supertall building which is reportedly 280 metres to roof and 308 metres tall to the tip of the fašade will be the 7th building in Hong Kong over both the 300 metres and 1,000 feet marks showing the Chinese territory has lost none of its appetite for building tall.
Completition on site by contractor Gammon Construction is scheduled for March 2008.

Damn, that's a sweeeeeeeet looking tower. I love it.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #32
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

Office leasing poised for growth
10 May 2006
South China Morning Post

Hong Kong's office leasing market is poised to see robust growth in the second quarter, with companies continuing to seek quality office space in a move to cope with their business expansion, according to property consultants.

Demand for grade-A office space continues to be driven by investment banks, fund houses and law firms servicing financial institutions, with their growing confidence in the local economy, according to DTZ Debenham Tie Leung.

"The momentum for the office leasing market is still strong, despite rents for many prime office buildings in core Central getting more aggressive in light of tight supply," said DTZ research director Alva To Yu-hung,

Overall grade-A office rents rose more than 10 per cent in the first quarter of this year and are expected to jump about 20 per cent for the year, according to Mr To.

Average effective rents for grade-A office space in Central jumped 12 per cent to $66 per sq ft in the first quarter, DTZ's figures showed.

In terms of average yield, grade-A office space stood at between 3 per cent and 3.5 per cent in the first three months of the year, while grade-B office premises were at 3.5 per cent to 4.5 per cent.

However, take-up rate among all major office districts slowed in the first quarter, due largely to surging rents and short supply. In the most sought after Central district, office take-up dropped 6 per cent quarter-on-quarter to 122,364 sq ft in the first three months.

Meanwhile, rental performance of non-core locations continued to outperform as they offered a new base while Central costs climbed.

Island East was the star with rents escalating 14 per cent to $25 per sq ft in the first quarter, according to DTZ. Rents in Tsim Sha Tsui grew 8 per cent to $19 per sq ft, while Wan Chai and Causeway Bay added 6 per cent to $35 per sq ft.

"Decentralisation is still a market trend this year because many business owners acknowledged that office rents in core districts were not going to fall over the next two years," said Biu Cheng, general manager of the commercial department at Centaline Property Agency.

Mr Cheng added that some grade-B office buildings were also a popular option for rent refugees in the market at present.

With an eye on growing market demand, developers have been launching the pre-letting of major new office buildings in non-core districts recently. Among these were Swire Properties' 1.6 million sq ft One Island East in Quarry Bay, scheduled for completion in 2008, and planned for pre-letting at $25 per sq ft to $29 per sq ft a month.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #33
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17797

'Crown jewel' office project finally begins in Quarry Bay
Leslie Kwoh
28 March 2006
Hong Kong Standard

Leading land developer Swire Properties has begun construction on its HK$2 billion office flagship in Quarry Bay, following a year-long hiatus triggered by high vacancy rates in the office market.

Demolition of the two former buildings, Melbourne Industrial Building and Aik San Factory Building, at the site on Westlands Road was completed 13 months ago but, "because the commercial aspect was not so good, we did not feel the need to rush," Swire's head of public affairs, Miranda Szeto, said at a presentation Monday.

While construction is not expected to be completed until 2008, high demand in the area means Quarry Bay office rents have more than doubled over the past year to average HK$31.21 per square foot a month, and are expected to increase by another 30 percent in the next 12 months, according to Knight Frank.

The 70-story glass office complex, which will add 1.5 million square feet of office space to Swire's investment properties portfolio, is currently the only major Grade A office development under way on Hong Kong Island after overall office property completions fell to a 35-year low last year.

Senior project manager Kenneth Ng described One Island East as the crown jewel in Swire's Island East business district, which includes 61 residential blocks and 12 commercial buildings.

It will also be the tallest building in Quarry Bay, at 308 meters, only 27m shorter than Hong Kong's tallest building, Two IFC.

A covered walkway will integrate the complex with neighboring Tai Koo Place.

Ng said he predicted construction would be "exceptionally efficient" as more than 2,100 glitches in structural planning, such as plumbing obstructions, were identified and resolved in the design stage, with the help of HK$10 million 3-D digital visualization software Swire adopted last February.

According to Ng, previous clashes between design and actual construction were checked manually and randomly by consultants, and only at an advanced stage of construction, thus resulting in a high wastage rate of new and unused fittings and finishes.

Design clashes alone were responsible for about 2,000 cubic meters of construction waste at Three Pacific Place, which Swire completed in 2004, he said.

As such wastage is expected to be completely eliminated in the One Island East project _ the first project in Hong Kong to use the software _ Ng estimated that total construction waste would be reduced by 15-25 percent. He predicted the new "Designing Out Waste" initiative would bring long-term gains for Swire, especially after accumulating landfills prompted the government to implement waste charges in January ranging from HK$27 to HK$125 a ton for all projects costing HK$1 million or more.

One Island East will also be the first project in Hong Kong to use "concrete crushers," multimillion dollar vehicles used during demolition to "bite" materials into smaller chunks, which can then be more easily divided into groups for recycling.

Only about 1 percent of waste from demolition works for the One Island East project went to landfills, Ng said.

The remaining 99 percent was recycled or reused, including 57,125 tonnes of concrete and bricks, 2,840 tonnes of steel and 740 tonnes of other inert materials _ which would have incurred anywhere from HK$1.6 million to HK$7.6 million under the new waste charges scheme.

Responding to concerns that One Island East would overcrowd the area, where office workers often complain they endure long restaurant lines during lunch hour, Szeto said she was "confident" the new complex will spark a new flurry of supplementary commercial developments.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #34
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10124

wow, 308m? sydney tower is 1m higher.lol
ill have to add this to bi-monthly diagram update.
sam miguel. that would be great for updates. i require it status to keep construction diagrams accurate.
this thread should be moved to construction section.
Old July 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #35
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMXican
some ppl would say it's bland, I'd say it's quite elegant.
put me in the bland camp. it looks generic.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #36
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd
put me in the bland camp. it looks generic.

-
Generic in that there's only 3 buildings that even remotely RESEMBLE this one?

Also, take a look in the construction forum for a different perspective/view of the building - so those other 3 buildings can't even be considered to remotely resemble this one.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #37
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 675

I think too many architects strive for an iconic building and end up failing. I'm sure we can all think of buildings with clumsy detailing and clashing shapes. A smooth outline with goof detailing I think is far more succesful.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #38
Sexas
Whole Other Country

Likes (Received): 2

Think how $$$$$ to build a 300+ tower in Hong Kong, I sure they won't go for that "Chinese Iconic", classic is the way to go.
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #39
Lobezno
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Wow!! its amaizing!

I was in Hong Kong last April and I was watching the project. Its a very hard work in the city with more skyscrapers in the world... or at least, the beautiest skyline.

Nevertheless I think that is very difficult that this new build could be prettier than the Bank of China or more impressive than Two International. In any case, it will be enormus, and when we┤ll see it built, we will be able to compare them.
Lobezno no está en línea   Reply With Quote