daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #21
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
Why are all these "styles" decided in Europe anyway? I hope we see the reverse happening in the future.
Because we are incredibly awesome.

Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:04 AM   #22
Izzy Hungwell
Longtime Troll

Likes (Received): 3

although there's always been elements of "illusion" in architecture, it seems to be a huge trend lately to build buildings that seem to defy gravity in some way. I would expect, as materials evolve, there'll be a lot more of this, before the fad peters out a bit.

sharing is caring.
Izzy Hungwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #23
mlegs3

Likes (Received): 0

I think humanity will be pushed to adopt a style with ecological aspects
Old February 19th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #24
firewater
strength of stones

Likes (Received): 37

the term "style" is completely obsolete - it only exposes the user as being more or less ignorant to technical aspects of building.
firewater no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #25
aarhusforever
EU citizen

Likes (Received): 9117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathaman View Post
Why are all these "styles" decided in Europe anyway? I hope we see the reverse happening in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Because we are incredibly awesome.
+ 1. Its a European world, man

Aarhus - the second largest city in Denmark

Aarhus...my Aarhus
aarhusforever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM   #26
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #27
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12206

If you study the history of architecture (or even Art in general for that matter), you will find that architectural "styles" tend to go in quite predictable waves of "action" then "reaction". Eras of simple, pared down architecture get followed by more decorative styling as a kind of protest reaction. That is to say, when people get tired of simplicity, they push for more decorative "whimsical" styles. The original style of Greek columns were the simple, masculine looking Doric, followed next by the more stylised Ionic, and finally the delicate, feminine and highly decorative Corinthian capitols.
Georgian architecture in the early 1800's was based on simplistic beauty of good proportioning, and minimal decoration, and eventually gave way to more fanciful and decorative Victorian styles, culminating in highly decorative styling by the end of the century. Some architects working during the end of the 19th Century were so appalled by the blatant excess that they tried to popularize a revolutionary "Arts and Crafts" movement to head off the steamroller of Victorian "whimsy" that was rapidly turning into a monster. Edwardian styles that came next were much more restrained, as a sort of protest vote against the frothy excess of High Victorian. Art Deco then came along to sweep away all before it, but as time went on it too became more frivolously decorative and the public tired of it.

The pared down simplicity of the International Style movement of the 50's/60's/70's was followed by a reactionary style called Post Modernism. More playful, less emphasis on strict design integrity and "Form Follows Function". As time went on, PoMo gathered steam in frivolity, and finally the public grew weary of its decorative excess. We've just come through an international period of architecture with heavy emphasis on novelty. Twisting buildings, leaning buildings, crumpled buildings, buildings that "look like" household or bedroom electronic items, buildings that glitter and light up like Christmas trees, etc.. etc.. etc.. The push in the past two decades has been for more and more extreme novelty and shock value. "Ooh! Look at that giant vibrating neon toaster that appears to be falling over. **yawn**. ". But any type of design based on shock value, whether it be in architecture, art, music, film, or Lady Gaga's outfits eventually becomes repetitive and tiresome.

My prediction is that history will do as it always has done, and repeat itself. As people tire of buildings that no longer shock or "WOW" us, architectural design will go back to a more restrained, disciplined school again, valuing honest of design over novelty. "Less is More" will become the architectural mantra again.... until the public decides one more time that "Less is a Bore".
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #28
francisco torres

Likes (Received): 7

lol I don't think so

you have all reason in your text, but the thing is that now in the world the largest number of new buildings builded are commie blocks (simple architecture), so I can understand thanks to your text that you love the minimalistic architecture, but I don't think than that would be the future style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggerD21 View Post
NeoGothiRomArabInternaPostmoderModerBrutaliChineBauhauDeconstruWhatever style.
I think too it would be a kind of neo-historicism or neo-eclecticism, something more human not only boxes
francisco torres no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #29
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisco torres View Post
lol I don't think so

you have all reason in your text, but the thing is that now in the world the largest number of new buildings builded are commie blocks (simple architecture), so I can understand thanks to your text that you love the minimalistic architecture, but I don't think than that would be the future style.

I think too it would be a kind of neo-historicism or neo-eclecticism, something more human not only boxes
Hehe... what occurs in the future is not dependent upon what I, or even you for that matter "like", or "dislike". As sure as women's dress hemlines go up and down and up and down, and as sure as pop singers come and go in popularity, design styles tend to flip flop when the public tires of them. It is a well known fact that often around the time of the end of a century (fin de siècle), art and architecture reach a fervour of decadence and novelty, and during the first half of the next century styles return to more sedate fashion. We've been through it time and time again from Baroque to Bauhaus.

I didn't say a return to International Style, but I think it will be a return to simplicity. Like it, or not history does tend to repeat itself. If it didn't, we'd have no "That 70's Show" to watch every week.

And yes, I am bored to tears with novelty shaped office and condo towers. Anything that reminds me of a glow-in-the-dark battery operated device and spins, wobbles, shivers, turns, flips or appears to be leaping off a cliff is enough to send waves of boredom through me!

"Okay! I get it! It is supposed to look like a vibrator!! It does!!! Now can we move on"?
Old February 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #30
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

thing is novelty architecture is a trend, but the vast majority of buildings being built today is not of that ilk. It's all glass boxes, functionalism, mass production.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #31
Taller, Better
Administrator

Mass production and functionalism are here to stay. With the population explosions of the past century, housing (other than ultra high end luxury for the very wealthy) has to be built in a way that is affordable enough for the developers to make a profit. The days of stone cladding on 80 storey buildings are all but gone, and we will never see hand carving, or other meticulous craft work. People must be housed, which is the reason for the Corbusier-style housing boom after WW2 that many of our members rather naively refer to as "Commie Blocks". Had it not been for those "commie blocks" countless millions of families would have been jammed cheek to jowl together in small houses. Affordable housing allowed people the dignity and respect of a unit of their own to live.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #32
JmB & Co.

Likes (Received): 461

Minimalist architecture may be beautiful if treated properly. But the main function of architecture is not to be a "machine for living in". That's not the truth, it's just what Lecorbu thought. One thing is to have a house, a unit in a commie block, and another is to be able to afford a good piece of architecture. Architecture is everything you see in the street, it's the perfect mix between art and funcionality. Sometimes it just gets closer to art, and other times to functionality.
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #33
Taller, Better
Administrator

Personally I'd rather buy a nice brick home built with love 150 years than a new condominium unit, regardless of how "luxurious" it claims to be.
Plus, if there is a fire it is less painful to jump out of the window than from the 80th floor!
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #34
francisco torres

I don't think that minimalism is going to continue, cuz its true that the population is growing but I think the people is too tired of more of 60 years of minimalism, may create a new arquitecture that be cheatper and beautiful and complete at the same time, not sacrificing ornaments, for example using cheaper materials too lol.
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #35
Oergeluidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisco torres View Post
I don't think that minimalism is going to continue, cuz its true that the population is growing but I think the people is too tired of more of 60 years of minimalism, may create a new arquitecture that be cheatper and beautiful and complete at the same time, not sacrificing ornaments, for example using cheaper materials too lol.
but i think minimalism is better then the "kitch" from the 90's.
If it depends on me they need to build more brutalism!
Oergeluidd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #36
Oergeluidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmB & Co. View Post
Minimalist architecture may be beautiful if treated properly. But the main function of architecture is not to be a "machine for living in". That's not the truth, it's just what Lecorbu thought. One thing is to have a house, a unit in a commie block, and another is to be able to afford a good piece of architecture. Architecture is everything you see in the street, it's the perfect mix between art and funcionality. Sometimes it just gets closer to art, and other times to functionality.
I agree with what yoou say

Vive le Minimalism

An example i like is " L'Unité D'habitation " by " Le Corbusier " in Marseille, France
Oergeluidd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #37
Taller, Better
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oergeluidd View Post
but i think minimalism is better then the "kitch" from the 90's.
From the '90's? There is a ton of kitsch going up right now. Some of the most prominent new towers currently in construction will likely be regarded as pure kitsch ten or fifteen years from now.
Old February 26th, 2011, 02:22 AM   #38
francisco torres

I think that Le Corbusier has many very good ideas, and yes the total simplicity is very interesting becouse it says that the perfection is in the minimal thing in other words the perfect form it would be a white circle, becouse the circle has no start no end and infinities angles and the white is the result of the union of all colors, but you can't put more than 5000 years of architecture in the trash becouse of a new movement that don't have more that 100 years, and I think that many people are tired of a millions and millions of copies of the Villa Saboye and BauHaus buildings, so I don't think that minimalism has much life in the future.
Old February 26th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #39
Taller, Better
Administrator

Don't forget, Le Corbusier was designing for a post war world, in which millions of lower income working people suddenly needed new homes to live. He wanted his ideas and styles to be copied, because coming through a world war like that left him with a feeling of social responsibility, not a kind of personal status symbol snobbism that so many current architects seem to be harbouring.
Old February 26th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #40
Buffalo Soldier
amai

Organic. Both in design & materials.
Buffalo Soldier no está en línea   Reply With Quote