daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #701
TallBox

Likes (Received): 421

I like it... but I must be one of the only ones in this thread who thinks the cladding could be better. The glass facade is similar to the Nina Tower's - which I think is a bad thing. Also dislike the vertical stripes down the side. Other than that, the shape is good!
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:29 AM   #702
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17824

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
in which height is the skylobby of central plaza?
Around 40-something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun View Post
I like it... but I must be one of the only ones in this thread who thinks the cladding could be better. The glass facade is similar to the Nina Tower's - which I think is a bad thing. Also dislike the vertical stripes down the side. Other than that, the shape is good!
The cladding colours are similar, but Nina's facade has far more details. OIE is very simple.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:16 AM   #703
hkskyline
Hong Kong

JP Morgan leases Quarry Bay space
8 January 2008
South China Morning Post

United States investment bank JP Morgan has rented 11 floors at One Island East in Quarry Bay and plans to hire more staff in Hong Kong as it sees rosy business prospects in the Asia Pacific.

It announced yesterday its commitment to lease up to 237,000 square feet from the 43rd floor to the 54th floor of the 70-storey building, the largest transaction ever for the Swire Properties-owned complex.

"Our decision to take this additional space basically has been driven by the rapid expansion of our business footprint. We've seen significant headcount growth and looking out longer term beyond 2011, we expect continuous growth relative to current economic conditions," said Roy Kinnear, the chief operating officer of JP Morgan Asia-Pacific. "While there may be ups and downs we are growing overall in Hong Kong and the region."

A Swire Properties spokeswoman confirmed the deal without disclosing details. Property agents said the asking rents for offices exceeded HK$35 per square foot.

JP Morgan will move into Island East One in four stages. The first batch of 700 staff is expected to take up the new offices on August 1, mainly from divisions such as technology, parts of treasury and securities services as well as some other support functions.

Unlike other global financial firms in the city, JP Morgan has no plans to move out of its headquarters in Central. The company rented 207,000 sq ft at Hongkong Land Holdings' Chater House for 10 years in 2001.

"Our Asia-Pacific headquarters in Hong Kong will remain in Chater House in Central and retain a maximum of 2,000 staff," said Gaby Abdelnour, the chairman of JP Morgan Asia-Pacific.

Added Mr Kinnear: "We are committed to Central as a key business location while recognising the economics. To the extent that businesses are moved out of the area we will always retain some kind of that presence in Central."

Financial institutions have been stung by soaring rents in Central and moved into grade A offices in non-core business districts since last year.

Morgan Stanley said last August that it had leased 10 floors with 350,000 sq ft at International Commerce Centre in West Kowloon for its headquarters. The company will move out of its offices at Exchange Square in Central.

Credit Suisse Group leased the top 10 office floors with a total gross floor area of 300,000 sq ft at the end of last year. The firm is expected to move its entire Hong Kong operations to ICC from Exchange Square in Central.

Andy Yuen Chun-yin, a director of business space at DTZ, said fears of a recession in United States had driven the financial institutions to expand their business in Asia, which has more business opportunities.

"The financial institutions remain active in looking for office space for expansion in Hong Kong," he said. He expected office rents in Central to rise 5 to 10 per cent in the first half, while rents in other districts would have a small growth.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old January 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #704
hkskyline
Hong Kong

INTERVIEW-JP Morgan to add at least 700 Hong Kong staff

HONG KONG, Jan 7 (Reuters) - U.S investment bank JP Morgan plans to add at least 700 staff to its Asia-Pacific headquarters in Hong Kong over the next three years, and lease up to 11 floors in a new office block to accommodate the growth.

While the subprime crisis has hit the world's biggest financial institutions, they are still notching up high growth in Asia, where investment banking fees rose 36 percent last year to a record $11.7 billion, according to Thomson Financial -- roughly the gross domestic product of oil-rich Brunei.

JPMorgan ranked fifth in the Asia-Pacific investment banking fee league table last year, with $417.5 million, up from $298.1 million in 2006, according to data from Thomson Financial.

With big stock market listings and acquisitions coming out of China, where the economy grew at about 11.5 percent last year, JP Morgan plans to go on a hiring spree.

Roy Kinnear, JP Morgan's Asia-Pacific chief operating officer, said he expected double digit annual percentage growth in staff numbers in Hong Kong and Asia, up to 2010 or 2011.

The bank now employs 3,200 people in Hong Kong, from a total of 18,000 in Asia-Pacific.

"We're seeing significant growth in Hong Kong and the Asia-Pacific region as a whole," Kinnear said in a telephone interview. "And notwithstanding what's happening in the U.S. and Europe, I think we'll see continued growth."

JP Morgan plans to house 1,900 staff in the new 59-storey One Island East office block built in the east of Hong Kong island by Swire Properties, a unit of Swire Pacific .

Employees, including those in back-office and technology roles, will start to move in from August.

But the bank will keep 2,000 employees in the main Central business district at a time when rivals Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse are moving to office space less than half the price across the harbour in Kowloon.

Average prime office rents in Central, where Singapore-listed Hongkong Land is a big landlord, rose about 40 percent last year, according to property consultants DTZ.

Top monthly rents in skyscrapers in the shadow of Hong Kong's landmark mountain, the Peak, stand at around US$20 per sq ft -- approaching the US$23 charged by landlords in the world's most expensive office market, London's West End.

One Island East is charging about US$4.50 per sq ft, according to market sources, while developer Sun Hung Kai Properties Ltd charging about US$5.70 at its ICC building that will house Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse.

Kinnear said "economic considerations" played a role in the decision to take space in One Island East, but the crowding in Central was an important factor.

"This is a growth story. We're adding rather than replacing."

Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse will only start moving out of Central at the end of this year, and prime rents are expected to keep rising.

"We're forcasting another 10-15 percent for the first six months," said Mark Price, head of Asia occupational and development markets at DTZ. "But, by 2009, rents will be stable or softening, once Morgan Stanley and Credit Suisse vacate."

Hong Kong, flourishing as a financing centre for China, has become a boom town for bankers, lawyers and consultants.

Four Chinese IPOs took the top spots for the biggest fee generators for investment banks in Asia last year, according to data from publisher Thomson Financial and consultant Freeman & Co. (Editing by Anne Marie Roantree and Jan Dahinten)

Old January 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #705
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

By leyland0660 @ Dcfever.com
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #706
Car L

Likes (Received): 659

My flickr
Car L no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #707
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

, splendid shots! one of the best i've ever seen from this tower
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #708
hkskyline
Hong Kong

1/12/2008

Old January 12th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #709
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Wrong thread.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:46 AM   #710
jkjkjk

Likes (Received): 1

Car L: Great pics!

So the building is definitely topped out or still some kind of spire is missing ? That numbers 280 m for roof, but 308 m for spire are little bit confusing for me.
jkjkjk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #711
PwnedByASkyscraper
iPura Vida!

Likes (Received): 4

Almost there!! Give it a good week or 2 or so and this one will be done

Paises Favoritas Que Yo Visite: United States, Costa Rica, Nederland, Espana, Deutschland

*All images I contribute to the site are from Flickr unless stated otherwise.
PwnedByASkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 05:23 AM   #712
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6826

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjkjk View Post
Car L: Great pics!

So the building is definitely topped out or still some kind of spire is missing ? That numbers 280 m for roof, but 308 m for spire are little bit confusing for me.
Looks like topped out. They have installed a framework for cladding over the roof.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #713
fatshe

Likes (Received): 18

19-1-08

fatshe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #714
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

can a mod please change the title to Topped out?
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:41 PM   #715
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Just what I was bout to ask.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #716
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

by itarilde @ skyscraper.cn
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #717
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yes, I thought I noticed some neon strips when I passed by it tonight. Can't believe they're on already.

Old January 19th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #718
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 986

this baby really adds up to the skyline in that area which is full of boring residental towers.
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:44 PM   #719
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

From Island east, 2IFC peeks over the hills. From Island west, OIE peeks over the hills. The symmetry is complete!
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #720
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61234

I hope they won't pull a Nina tower with this one and finish it in two years time. Although with the speed that this one is build I would be very surprised if that that would happen.

On another note, with this one almost completed Hong Kong does need some new proposed supertalls to keep it going. Even with the ICC that has still 2 year to be completed it's becoming a bit slow. Hopefully we will see some new tall plans this year, to stay interesting in the worldwide competition.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote