daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #161
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17805

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason poon View Post
I really feel resistance from certain beneficial groups via the mass media, not only to the high-rise buildings (example of Nina Towers and Hopewell's Wanchai development), but also reclamation!

Nina Tower is originally one single supertall and aims to be the tallest in the world, but the gov't banned it therefore Nina & Teddy Towers appear like this. Hopewell's developement seem to be the same. The most interesting point is why giants like Li Ka Shing's Cheung Kong Centre and SHK's IFC2 and ICC can be built in the downtown that easy?!
Actually, there was a valid reason why Nina Tower had to be axed from the world's tallest. Tsuen Wan is along the flight path to Chek Lap Kok, so it was dangerous to build too tall in the area, hence the project was reduced in height and 2 towers came up instead of 1.

That's why there are so many aerial photos from airplane passengers in this thread.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:56 PM   #162
hala

Likes (Received): 4

by 久 地 遊 覽 (leomak) from http://hk-place.com/vp.php?board=1&id=2114-70

2006-10-28

hala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:29 AM   #163
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

Nice pics !
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:59 AM   #164
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

what level is it on now?

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 06:23 AM   #165
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17805

Good old days are back
Booming mainland propels demand for Hong Kong office space back to pre-1997 levels, creating new job opportunities

20 October 2006
South China Morning Post

THE DEMAND FOR office space in Hong Kong has shot back to the pre-1997 level of its economic heyday.

Financiers and banks are cashing in on the mainland's booming economy and insurers and personal bankers are arriving in Hong Kong in droves.

This is good news for developers such as Swire Properties and Sun Hung Kai Properties.

It also means "great opportunities" for careers in office leasing and management, according to Doris Chu, head of HR and administration at Swire Properties, one of Hong Kong's most prominent office landlords.

"The market is clearly enjoying a strong period of growth in take-up. It has been helped by economic growth in China, capital raising for mainland companies and the increase in private banking," Ms Chu said.

Swire Properties has already seen the financial sector swamp demand for its latest development at Pacific Place.

Hi-tech Three Pacific Place is virtually at 100 per cent occupancy, most notably as a result of expansion by European financial services group Société Générale and The Bank of New York, as well as the arrival of Macquarie Goodman Asia.

With the financial sector accounting for about two-thirds of all offices at Three Pacific Place, Swire Properties director and general manager Jolyon Culbertson described it as a "grade-A finance and banking hub".

"The supply of grade-A office space in prime areas continues to be limited," Mr Culbertson said.

"Three Pacific Place has served to meet the demand of multinational companies that are experiencing solid business growth and expansion plans in the region."

Swire Properties is now banking on its next big development, One Island East, which it hopes will be a sought-after refuge as the financial services sector "continues to expand and push demand" in its traditional nerve centre of Central.

Scheduled for a single-phase completion in 2008 and featuring superlative harbour views, the 70-storey, grade-A office building will add a further 1.5million sqft to Swire's thriving new business community in Island East - extending from Taikoo Place to Cityplaza. Island East is home to more than 300 corporations, and the recent arrival of DBS Bank and expanded offices for American International Assurance indicate the financial sector already views it as an attractive option to crowded Central.

Swire Properties director and general manager Stephan Spurr said: "Occupancy in Island East is up to 97 per cent and our vacancy factor is back to pre-1997 levels."

In such an active office market, job opportunities are across the board. Swire has openings ranging from assistant building manager, tenant liaison officer, building surveyor and business executive to computer, marketing, administration and customer services staff.

Ms Chu said: "There are great career opportunities in the property management and leasing fields."

Besides regular recruitment, the property arm of Swire Group also offers opportunities through a three-year management trainee programme for "high-calibre graduates with a versatile mindset, who are flexible and capable of coping effectively with the changing environment".

Graduates from all disciplines are welcome, with recruitment now under way.

"Trainees with outstanding performance will be offered a promising career to develop with the company," Ms Chu said.

Sun Hung Kai Properties, another huge property developer and landlord with a workforce of 23,000, is similarly encountering spectacular demand for offices.

The firm's portfolio, which includes Central Plaza and Two IFC, Hong Kong's tallest building, continues to expand.

The International Commerce Centre is set to become Hong Kong's next tallest skyscraper and the third-tallest in the world when it opens at the end of this year.

The firm's real estate agency executive director, Victor Lui, said the 490-metre, 118-floor landmark in West Kowloon "will take on global importance and reinforce Hong Kong's status as an international financial centre".

Its 5.5million sqft of grade-A offices will be the most spacious in Hong Kong. Despite being across the harbour, it is just a few minutes by train from Central and meets "surging demand for quality offices with the increasing presence of mainland and foreign firms in Hong Kong", Mr Lui said.

"A number of multinationals and major local companies are also looking for more office space for expansion amid a steadily improving local economy."

Deputy general manager for office leasing Lo King-wai believed "strong leasing activity will continue to bode well for the office market". Reflecting this, Sun Hung Kai has just embarked on its biggest office upgrade programme in 10 years.

Being modernised to the tune of HK$600million are Millennium City 2, Sun Hung Kai Centre, Harbour Centre, Central Plaza, World Trade Centre, Metroplaza, New Town Tower in Sha Tin, Sheung Shui Plaza and Grand City Plaza in Tsuen Wan.

Expansion in Hong Kong, together with major projects in the mainland, including Shanghai IFC, means the company is "always recruiting", with vacancies including posts for leasing managers, officers and executives.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:18 AM   #166
hala

Quote:
Originally Posted by great184 View Post
what level is it on now?
about 19
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM   #167
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

great update
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:21 AM   #168
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

It's rising very very fast!!!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #169
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Just checked today on the way to uni, they're building level 18.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #170
hala

by Itarilde (Paranoid) from http://www.skyscrapers.cn/forum/view...extra=page%3D1

2006-11-4

Old November 5th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #171
_00_deathscar

I live in the last building
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #172
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61182

peek-a-boo!
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #173
fatshe

Likes (Received): 18

5th Nov,2006

fatshe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:23 PM   #174
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

great update
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2006, 01:32 PM   #175
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by momochan View Post
peek-a-boo!

I see you!

It's strange ~ the last three buildings are taller than the first three (on that pic).

That explains something I've been wondering about for a while
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #176
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

I always find it funny that @ level 18 it's already as tall, if not taller, then nearby Tai Koo Shing buildings, which are 29-30 floors tall... :-D
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #177
_00_deathscar

Yea I know lol

My mum when we were walkin around in Tai Koo Shing she was sayin "Is that the top of the building already?" I told her it wasn't, and that it will be 70 floors. She replied saying "Oh so it's only half way then?" I said "No, only about 15 floors have been built" - she didn't believe me
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #178
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

At first sight I thought those were cladding and I thought, why the hell do they clad at such early stage but now it seems not.

Nice updates! Keep them coming.
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #179
great184
visionary

Likes (Received): 281

its probably just as tall as the condos right now. We have to consider the fact that this shot was taken from a high elevation

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1536278
great184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #180
larven

Likes (Received): 2975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
It's rising very very fast!!!!
Someone wrote the comments below in one of the regional sub forums and for some reason I thought of you Mosaic!

Quote:
No offence, but I'm seeing too many people on here that contribute little of real worth to the forum.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing the same old comments like "wow", "nice cladding" and "yeah, can't wait!". These can be incredibly tedious to sift through.
larven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote