daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #61
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Let's not get into that flame war again.
The reason why Dubai obviolusly is the most booming city is that it started from being a desert 10-15 years ago, whereas Shanghai is a city of over 20 million inhabitants. I'm sure there are alot more construction going on in Shanghai than in Dubai, but it's more noticable in Dubai since it's 20 times smaller city.

One more pic of the Wuhan building, taken by me in February this year:

Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #62
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

Sorry mates, I wasn't my intention to start up a fight. I was only asking becasue of curiocity.
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:36 PM   #63
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

No worries. Happens all the time with people from Dubai vs other people.

Dont start a flame war. Dubai and Shanghai are two totally different things.

Dubai is a tourist and tourist entertainement city and it is doing great at that with all of its major projects.

Shanghai is a metropolis and striving to become a major global social and economic centre and its doing great as well with that.

But both cities are taking a totally different direction.
WhiteMagick está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #64
feverwin
Peace-all the world needs

Likes (Received): 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick
No worries. Happens all the time with people from Dubai vs other people.

Dont start a flame war. Dubai and Shanghai are two totally different things.

Dubai is a tourist and tourist entertainement city and it is doing great at that with all of its major projects.

Shanghai is a metropolis and striving to become a major global social and economic centre and its doing great as well with that.

But both cities are taking a totally different direction.
I see...Dubai is like Macao while SH is like HK...
feverwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #65
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

it was also not my intention to start a fight again, but , well, i was just giving him an answer.

again, dubai is not only about entertainment and tourism.. u guys will never get it.
and u will also not understand that there is NOT much more construction in shanghai than in dubai.. it is impossible.

Dubai has projects worth US $500Bn going on.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #66
ming0318
Ming

Likes (Received): 0

bubai's boom

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...8&page=1&pp=20

what a big thread! we can't ignore it!

I like both dubai and shanghai.
they are all great and too different to compare.
ming0318 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:10 PM   #67
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
it was also not my intention to start a fight again, but , well, i was just giving him an answer.

again, dubai is not only about entertainment and tourism.. u guys will never get it.
and u will also not understand that there is NOT much more construction in shanghai than in dubai.. it is impossible.

Dubai has projects worth US $500Bn going on.
Imho when people say that there is more construction in one city compared to another they are referring to urban expansion and thus towers and buildings. Dubai most likely has the highest value of projects going up but those projects are expensive since they include the formation of whole islands which is costly. Am i right? Perhaps there are more towers and buildings going up in Shanghai than Dubai to accomodate they rising business and the 500 000 people that settle in the city every year.
WhiteMagick está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #68
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

if we are talking about projects, not only the island, nakheel's projects are only worth $ 50Bn, then Dubai is definetly ahead, by miles..

talking about towers, i can tell u 320 under construction
237 approved for Dubai, and hardly any of them are under 30F.

from Emporis i can see 33 approved and 25 under construction for Shanghai, ok, Emporis is definetly not up to date and list all the projects, no doubt, but i don't think there is sooo much missing it could keep up with Dubai.

In the No of total highrises Shanghai is in front, of course, it is older than Dubai .
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #69
ningxiard

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick
Imho when people say that there is more construction in one city compared to another they are referring to urban expansion and thus towers and buildings. Dubai most likely has the highest value of projects going up but those projects are expensive since they include the formation of whole islands which is costly. Am i right? Perhaps there are more towers and buildings going up in Shanghai than Dubai to accomodate they rising business and the 500 000 people that settle in the city every year.
Please stop making this kind of comparison between Shanghai and Dubai, my friend. As a Chinese who used to live in Shanghai, I just found this kind of comparison of building frenzy very much boring and pointless. Our aspiration is to become the "New York City" of China and Asia. We love the grandness and amazing world-capital aura of NYC, we admire the marvelous sophistication and intellectual density of Paris, we envy the refinement and cutting-edge fashion of Tokyo, those are the great cities we always compare us with and are eager to emulate, hopefully someday Shanghai will become such an amazingly uinque and accomodating city that other cites would call themselves Shanghai of their own country or continent. There's still a long way to go before we reach that goal, but we'll work hard toward it.

Compare us with Dubai? We Chinese from Shanghai have definitely no interest in doing that. Dubai is the number one booming town with the biggest number of skyscrapers under construction in the whole world? OK, congratulations! We have no intention to fight with you for that title at all.

Last edited by ningxiard; July 25th, 2006 at 11:13 PM.
ningxiard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #70
JAB323
Jan's Best Friend

The entire country of China seems to be booming.
JAB323 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #71
ningxiard

Quote:
if we are talking about projects, not only the island, nakheel's projects are only worth $ 50Bn, then Dubai is definetly ahead, by miles..

from Emporis i can see 33 approved and 25 under construction for Shanghai, ok, Emporis is definetly not up to date and list all the projects, no doubt, but i don't think there is sooo much missing it could keep up with Dubai.

In the No of total highrises Shanghai is in front, of course, it is older than Dubai .
One suggestion to you, don't compare your Dubai with Shanghai. Shanghai is not a first-tiered city around the world yet, Shanghai is a first-tiered city in Asia at the most. If you guys in Dubai always compare your city with Shanghai before Shanghai reaches the status of NYC, London, Paris and Tokyo, you will always be a second or third rate city. If you want to be genuinely good, always compare yourself with the best.

Second thing, don't be so much obessed with titles like the most booming town or the fastest-growning city, the only thing such titles means is that this city hasn't made it yet. Such titles DO NOT either guarantee this city will eventually make it.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #72
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:

Quality not quantity my friend.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #73
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Shanghai is not a first-tiered city around the world yet, Shanghai is a first-tiered city in Asia at the most. If you guys in Dubai always compare your city with Shanghai before Shanghai reaches the status of NYC, London, Paris and Tokyo, you will always be a second or third rate city.
You speak like the fact that Shanghai would reach the level of Tokyo, London, Paris, or New York is a certainty. Do remember that it still needs to surpass Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Osaka before having a shot at being the same as Tokyo, New York, London, or Paris. Not saying it is impossible but dont you Shanghainese and Chinese people be too cocky
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #74
Ohno

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
You speak like the fact that Shanghai would reach the level of Tokyo, London, Paris, or New York is a certainty. Do remember that it still needs to surpass Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Osaka before having a shot at being the same as Tokyo, New York, London, or Paris. Not saying it is impossible but dont you Shanghainese and Chinese people be too cocky
It is fine that Shanghai doesn't surpass Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Osaka ...whatever.But the Chinese people love to chase the best and learn from the best instead of the better one.
Ohno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #75
duskdawn
My Heart is with Beijing.

Likes (Received): 33

People, let's stop the comparison please.
Dubai is great, while Shanghai is no less than that. But neither of us is the top notch. Still a long way to go...
Work Hard!!!
duskdawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #76
ningxiard

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
Are you out of mind? Do you know how to read people's writing correctly and understand what he really wants to say? How old are you? 12? 18?

Did I ever say anything like Shanghai would be another NYC or Tokyo sooner or later? The only thing I said is that that's our goal. That's not a ridiculous long-term goal (Yes, long-term goal, not an overnight goal, please note this), considering the size of Chinese territory and economy as well as the importance of Shanghai to China, right?

Did I make any comparison bewteen Shanghai and any other Asian city except Tokyo? Please reread my post, what I said is that "Shanghai is a first-tiered city in Asia at the most", please pay attention to the phrase of "at the most", it means Shanghai could be or could NOT be. I don't pretend to be the final judge about it. I don't care either if you are from one of those Asian cities you listed, and if you think Shanghai isn't so good as your city. That's not a problem for me at all. If you could point out in a friendly and constructive way, in which aspects Shanghai still lag far behind any one of those Asian cities, that would be great!

The only point I want to make in my posts in this thread is, if you want to be genuinely good, compare yourself with the best, and try to make progress by yourself. Wasting your time in fighting for titiles like "the most booming town", "the fastest-growing city" simply doesn't make much sense, and I doubt that many Chinese in Shanghai including myself would be seriously interested in that either.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #77
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm÷ | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

dubaiflo,
If Dubai has 320 towers under construction, I can with much confidence say that Shanghai has a lot more u/c than Dubai. Too bad there are not any figures for it (but I guess that's the result when there's so many towers going up - it's impossible to keep track of them).

But to conclude what started this discussion - yes, Dubai is definately more of a boomtown than Shanghai, since Shanghai has been a world class city since the early 20th century.
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #78
Jiangwho

Likes (Received): 58

in my opinion .if we just compare the city state
now and ignore the future development. I mostly
think that dubai just like shenzhen in china .
PS, dubai has the black gold from the GOD,
so it is possible for them to invest and build more in the future.

Last edited by Jiangwho; July 26th, 2006 at 02:29 AM.
Jiangwho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #79
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:

You cannot possibly believe that there are 25 under construction in Shanghai can you? Or even remotely close to that?

Do you realize that there are apartment developments with HUNDREDS of towers? These types of developments are sprawling over a larger and larger area. Do these get the same publicity as Dubai projects? No.

A visit to Shanghai will surely open the eyes of many of the people on this forum. What you see in photos cannot encapsulate the vastness of the city.

I would suggest ceasing all comparisons between Shanghai and Dubai. Unless you have accurate statistics on Shanghai, there is no evidence supporting the notion that Dubai has the most towers under construction.

Last edited by Skybean; July 26th, 2006 at 02:13 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #80
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

i never said i think so,

nor did i say it is likely.

i also never said Dubai does have more towers UC than Dubai, i only quoted Emporis Dubai stats.

i want to see those projects with HUNDREDS of apartment towers please

i wonder why those are not present here?

I never raised this question in the first place, i did not bring Dubai into this thread, i was just replying to what other people said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
dubaiflo,
If Dubai has 320 towers under construction, I can with much confidence say that Shanghai has a lot more u/c than Dubai. Too bad there are not any figures for it (but I guess that's the result when there's so many towers going up - it's impossible to keep track of them).

But to conclude what started this discussion - yes, Dubai is definately more of a boomtown than Shanghai, since Shanghai has been a world class city since the early 20th century.
finally you got it.

i still wonder from what u can see there is sooo much more shanghai...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
Quality not quantity my friend.

uhhhhh ... u wanna start a comparison or what...
if anybody says dubai (or shanghai for that matter) does not have quality towers under construction he'd better leave this place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningxiard
One suggestion to you, don't compare your Dubai with Shanghai. Shanghai is not a first-tiered city around the world yet, Shanghai is a first-tiered city in Asia at the most. If you guys in Dubai always compare your city with Shanghai before Shanghai reaches the status of NYC, London, Paris and Tokyo, you will always be a second or third rate city. If you want to be genuinely good, always compare yourself with the best.

Second thing, don't be so much obessed with titles like the most booming town or the fastest-growning city, the only thing such titles means is that this city hasn't made it yet. Such titles DO NOT either guarantee this city will eventually make it.
as said before, i DID NOT BRING DUBAI into this thread, i was just giving answers and trying to clear some things up.

u guys always forget it is rarely any UAE forumer starting such issues and comparing Dubai to any other big city.

we have learned that people who did not visit Dubai yet cannot realize the vision its leaders have.