daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 31st, 2006, 09:38 PM   #121
nano2192
De Lomas de Zamora

Likes (Received): 1

Amazing projects!!!Good for Shangai and China!!
Argentina en google earth
ROJO, REY DE COPAS POR SIEMPRE
nano2192 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:40 PM   #122
flybird

Likes (Received): 18

taller buildings can't make oil price down!

a city without potential booming country economy will never show a valuable role.

if save some money for more oil outputing, the world will perfer this city than that with more buildings.
flybird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 05:57 PM   #123
China_winson
Shenzhenese

plenty of Projects, and so detail... Great Job...
China_winson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:11 PM   #124
flybird

evidence

staff hope this video will be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
dubaiflo,
If Dubai has 320 towers under construction, I can with much confidence say that Shanghai has a lot more u/c than Dubai. Too bad there are not any figures for it (but I guess that's the result when there's so many towers going up - it's impossible to keep track of them).

But to conclude what started this discussion - yes, Dubai is definately more of a boomtown than Shanghai, since Shanghai has been a world class city since the early 20th century.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:34 PM   #125
Ivalice.
When you feel the slip...

Whoa! super efforts! truely sensational !
Ivalice. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM   #126
desirous

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird
taller buildings can't make oil price down!

a city without potential booming country economy will never show a valuable role.

if save some money for more oil outputing, the world will perfer this city than that with more buildings.
Taller buildings improve efficiency and reduce reliance on oil (e.g., automobiles).

Also, I have no idea what you are talking about.
desirous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:04 PM   #127
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

flybird,
Thanks for the video - really cool!
Old August 2nd, 2006, 09:22 PM   #128
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

HAHA! Nice video. I especially found the comment "The national bird should be the CRANE" very funny.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:51 AM   #129
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Hehe.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:55 AM   #130
flybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
flybird,
Thanks for the video - really cool!
friends. thanks for your enjoying.

here is a link for the great china dvd version made by japan,2000 people covered 50 most beautiful places in 1 year. hope it will be helpful for your next coming to china.

the great china
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:56 AM   #131
flybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean
HAHA! Nice video. I especially found the comment "The national bird should be the CRANE" very funny.
thanks, welcome to china.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:27 AM   #132
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningxiard
Please stop making this kind of comparison between Shanghai and Dubai, my friend. As a Chinese who used to live in Shanghai, I just found this kind of comparison of building frenzy very much boring and pointless. Our aspiration is to become the "New York City" of China and Asia. We love the grandness and amazing world-capital aura of NYC, we admire the marvelous sophistication and intellectual density of Paris, we envy the refinement and cutting-edge fashion of Tokyo, those are the great cities we always compare us with and are eager to emulate, hopefully someday Shanghai will become such an amazingly uinque and accomodating city that other cites would call themselves Shanghai of their own country or continent. There's still a long way to go before we reach that goal, but we'll work hard toward it.

Compare us with Dubai? We Chinese from Shanghai have definitely no interest in doing that. Dubai is the number one booming town with the biggest number of skyscrapers under construction in the whole world? OK, congratulations! We have no intention to fight with you for that title at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
Quality not quantity my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
You speak like the fact that Shanghai would reach the level of Tokyo, London, Paris, or New York is a certainty. Do remember that it still needs to surpass Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Osaka before having a shot at being the same as Tokyo, New York, London, or Paris. Not saying it is impossible but dont you Shanghainese and Chinese people be too cocky
good posts. cool thread as well.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:30 AM   #133
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
Man, in these forums, everytime they touch a little something about Dubai they get all touchy and stuff.

Blah. Shanghai is great, Dubai is great.

But.... Shanghai in 10-20 years.... can they catch HK?

Just because cities like this are booming doesnt mean the others at the top have stopped. That being said, I dont think so.

I feel that many cities will not ever catch up to the top cities.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:02 AM   #134
johnsonooi

Likes (Received): 708

First of alll, I would like to say that if you find this thread is offensive, please ignore it.......I have no intention to be offensive to any cities or particular parties, just my opinion.......

It is such a plesure and honour that Kuala Lumpur is being compared to the World Class Cities such as Dubai and Shanghai. However, understand this, KL and Singapore can't be compared with Shanghai and Dubai because the population of these cities is just 25% of the population of Dubai and Shanghai. The booming rate of Shanghai and Dubai is amazing and I am sure that both cities are going to be recognised as the World Megapolitan with Tokyo, London, Hong Kong and New York in a few years time.

Malaysia and Singapore are just a small country compare to UAE and China. Therefore, a lots of effort have to be done in order to compete with the world megalopolis. To be honours, we are not to trying to be the world best with the egoism or whatever, but we would like to learn from Dubai, Shanghai, Tokyo, HK, ......... and create a new unique city in Malaysian style. I am sure that Shanghai, Dubai, New York, Tokyo, London, Paris are quite different and they have a quite unique personalities. Just observe the achitecture design of the skyscrapers in these cities, you will find that all the cities are just trying their best to present the most unique personalities. Thus, there is no the world best city and I dont see any point to compare the Dubai with Shanghai or Shanghai with New York or Dubai with Kuala Lumpur............what-so-ever...

Just my 2 cents worth........
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmunkey888
You speak like the fact that Shanghai would reach the level of Tokyo, London, Paris, or New York is a certainty. Do remember that it still needs to surpass Seoul, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, and Osaka before having a shot at being the same as Tokyo, New York, London, or Paris. Not saying it is impossible but dont you Shanghainese and Chinese people be too cocky
johnsonooi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:31 AM   #135
Spooky873
BANNED

I see where drunkenmonkey is coming from though. There are too many of you speaking way too soon on your future. I got a friend whos plans change everyday, one day shes moving here, the next shes moving there. Thats no different than the proposals being made, not just by your cities but by everyones. Not to mention the 20 or 30 year projections, which I find completely pointless. It seems your countries time has come, but im afraid most speak too soon, it might just fall short of expectations, not like it hasnt happened before. You can be cocky, just wait about 15 to 20 years, and remember your cities are joining a pretty long list of cities that have been great for centuries time, so dont act like youre the first to do so. I guess we say, 'welcome to the group'. Much love from NY.

and i agree with johnsonooi.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:47 AM   #136
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 487

Not to join the debate. But the problem is Shanghai growing so fast, even some people could not believe how fast it is. People still think Shanghai is communist and sub standard. Probably still below Tokyo but it can catch up very quickly. Shanghai is leaping, that is the exact term. There is no need to go to the level of Osaka and Taipei. Jump to the level of Tokyo. It's possible with the growth of Shanghai is experiencing now.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:07 AM   #137
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15913

Somebody should make a world ranking about cities with most +200m skyscrapers including u/c and approved ones. I'm sure that Shanghai wont rank under fourth position, just after Hong Kong, Dubai and New York. But the real goal is that the first Shanghainese skyscraper over 200m was completed in 1996, it took just 10 years to catch up with the oldies. Dubai is the only city in the world which is living an even greater miracle, watch out with Chongqing though! However, Dubai's miracle wont last much... On the other hand, Shanghai will go on booming for decades. This is just the start of Shanghai's fate, remember, just the start! We are living the start of China's century too! Mate, we can't even imagine what will Shanghai and other big Chinese cities look like in... 10 years? I think not. Guess what will happen in 30 or 40! Coruscant? But you know, Chinese cities will remain strongly underrated so long...

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #138
Spooky873
BANNED

If you expect Shanghai to resemble coruscant, why not the others? Thats not very sensible. If any city will resemble that itll either be HK or NY first. These booming cities are building fast, but not ahead, catching up is more sensible. I just dont understand why ppl say that. You better expect every other LEADING city on earth to halt all building construction if you think Shanghai or even Dubai will be coruscant. There are many more cities ahead, granted the current boom continues. There can and will be cycles of growth.

If you think that, you might as well add the cities that are ahead of it.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #139
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Shanghai has been building highrise (almost exclusively) for over a decade, it is not like Dubai in the sense that it has been established for a longer period of time. The rate of highrise construction in China is not comparable to North American cities. While there may be tens under construction, there are hundreds under construction at the same time in China, I have seen this first hand.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Shanghai already has more highrise buildings than Hong Kong and New York. Most people believe these are the top two cities, but possibly Shanghai has already surpassed them in numbers. z0rg is very right in his assessment. Accurate statistics for highrise count are simply not there for Shanghai, but if you come to see it, it's very very expansive.

The reason why most boasters are that way is because the growth has been tremendous, and there isn't any reason to believe why current trends will stop with a growing population and a strengthening economy.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:00 AM   #140
Northern Lotus

Likes (Received): 37

Does anyone know the office vancancy rate in Shanghai?
Northern Lotus no está en línea   Reply With Quote