daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:19 AM   #141
teddybear
City Reformist

Likes (Received): 487

@zorg: do you think chongqing has many constructions going on? In my mind, Chongqing has not many construction lately. Shenzhen and Guangzhou probably are making more news.

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:53 AM   #142
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonooi
First of alll, I would like to say that if you find this thread is offensive, please ignore it.......I have no intention to be offensive to any cities or particular parties, just my opinion.......

It is such a plesure and honour that Kuala Lumpur is being compared to the World Class Cities such as Dubai and Shanghai. However, understand this, KL and Singapore can't be compared with Shanghai and Dubai because the population of these cities is just 25% of the population of Dubai and Shanghai. The booming rate of Shanghai and Dubai is amazing and I am sure that both cities are going to be recognised as the World Megapolitan with Tokyo, London, Hong Kong and New York in a few years time.

Malaysia and Singapore are just a small country compare to UAE and China. Therefore, a lots of effort have to be done in order to compete with the world megalopolis. To be honours, we are not to trying to be the world best with the egoism or whatever, but we would like to learn from Dubai, Shanghai, Tokyo, HK, ......... and create a new unique city in Malaysian style. I am sure that Shanghai, Dubai, New York, Tokyo, London, Paris are quite different and they have a quite unique personalities. Just observe the achitecture design of the skyscrapers in these cities, you will find that all the cities are just trying their best to present the most unique personalities. Thus, there is no the world best city and I dont see any point to compare the Dubai with Shanghai or Shanghai with New York or Dubai with Kuala Lumpur............what-so-ever...
Dubai!? WHat have you been smoking, mate?
Just because Dubai builds a lot of skyscrapers (with money that doesn't come from natural economic growth like in China, but investments from oil money in the region, to help Dubai become a big tourist destination and flight hub), does not mean it's a big or important city!

Dubai builds skyscrapers to show off and impress - Shanghai (along with other Chinese cities) builds skyscrapers because it's urgently needed.

KL (to some extent) and Singapore are both bigger and much more important economically than Dubai is! Dubai has a population of about 1 million and most of these people are underpaid foreign workers that will be thrown out of the country as soon as they're finished building all the towers that are u/c right now. Dubai, unlike Shanghai, Singapore and KL (to some extent), is not an important player at all in the world economy. For now it's just skyscrapers in a desert and fancy resorts.

I'm totally confident that Shanghai will be one of the most important cities in the world economically in 20 years.

Skybean,
I'm sure that Shanghai has surpassed New York already. I'm not really sure how many highrises there are in Hong Kong, and even if there are more, Shanghai will surpass it within a few years. Hong Kong is building a lot of course, but the lack of land makes the development slower.

And it will go on, and on, an on for decades!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:47 AM   #143
Minotaur

Likes (Received): 0

Why don't you guys just quit with the comparisons, especially with Coruscant. That's a fictional place. If I understand correctly, Coruscant is a completely covered over with metal alloy planet. So since no city on Earth can compare especially because no one has ever built structures that big, it seems pointless to argue about it.
Minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM   #144
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

I smell smoke. A flame war is about to begin :p And dubai supporters havent even join the debate yet. lol

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #145
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15911

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear
@zorg: do you think chongqing has many constructions going on? In my mind, Chongqing has not many construction lately. Shenzhen and Guangzhou probably are making more news.
Chongqing is uncovered and underrated even for Chinese standards. Check tiger's thread about the new CBD. Have you ever seen pictures of Chongqing city model? That city will look like a huge Hong Kong in ten years.

@Spooky, I can't see why don't you understand. It's very easy: In 10 years, Shanghai has built so many towers over 200m as New York in the last 50. Currently, Shanghai has more than 15 towers over that height on going, how many in NY? I think you wont need a chart to understand it, mate. There are two values, one started growing a long time ago and the other one grows 5 times faster since 10 years ago, it is a matter of time that Shanghai gets more skyscrapers higher than 200m. I don't care about <100m shit, where Shanghai is the no.1 already.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM   #146
johnsonooi

Likes (Received): 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
I see where drunkenmonkey is coming from though. There are too many of you speaking way too soon on your future. I got a friend whos plans change everyday, one day shes moving here, the next shes moving there. Thats no different than the proposals being made, not just by your cities but by everyones. Not to mention the 20 or 30 year projections, which I find completely pointless. It seems your countries time has come, but im afraid most speak too soon, it might just fall short of expectations, not like it hasnt happened before. You can be cocky, just wait about 15 to 20 years, and remember your cities are joining a pretty long list of cities that have been great for centuries time, so dont act like youre the first to do so. I guess we say, 'welcome to the group'. Much love from NY.

and i agree with johnsonooi.
Thanks for your support Spooky873.....but I am pretty sure that KL is not going to compete with Shanghai and Dubai currently, however, who knows that KL might be the world class city in future or maybe just a cocky city.....[Not to be a traitor, I do love my country so much, but something we have to make critics in order to respond to current situation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff
Dubai!? WHat have you been smoking, mate?
Just because Dubai builds a lot of skyscrapers (with money that doesn't come from natural economic growth like in China, but investments from oil money in the region, to help Dubai become a big tourist destination and flight hub), does not mean it's a big or important city!
Thanks for your opinion that KL is the one of the important economic hub.....However, KL have a lots more to learn from NY. HK, Shanghai and other cities as well since KL is just quite a young city. For your information, KL is founded at 1884..

Oh ya, stuff, I was smoking a special cigar, wanna join me???
johnsonooi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:36 PM   #147
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg

@Spooky, I can't see why don't you understand. It's very easy: In 10 years, Shanghai has built so many towers over 200m as New York in the last 50. Currently, Shanghai has more than 15 towers over that height on going, how many in NY? I think you wont need a chart to understand it, mate. There are two values, one started growing a long time ago and the other one grows 5 times faster since 10 years ago, it is a matter of time that Shanghai gets more skyscrapers higher than 200m. I don't care about <100m shit, where Shanghai is the no.1 already.
In the last 50? Thats a big stretch sir. I do not think so, in 20 years alone NY built 21. I dont think it needs another 30 years to get 7 towers to match the 28 by Shanghai.

Over 200m Shanghai has built 28 in the last 10 years. New York has built 10 and Hong Kong has built 35.

It says Shanghai has 5 over 200m approved, with 10 u/c and 29 built. That equates to 44 total over 200m.

NY has 47 buildings completed over 200m, with 4 u/c and 5 approved.
Adding them up equates to 56 over 200m.

HK has 43 completed over 200m, with 5 u/c and none approved or proposed even. That equates to 48 over 200m.

With the current data, Shanghai has 44, New York has 56, and Hong Kong has 48 over 200m.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM   #148
Spooky873
BANNED

All 18 of Dubai's towers over 200m have been built within the last 7 years.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:52 PM   #149
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
It says Shanghai has 5 over 200m approved, with 10 u/c and 29 built. That equates to 44 total over 200m.

NY has 47 buildings completed over 200m, with 4 u/c and 5 approved.
Adding them up equates to 56 over 200m.

HK has 43 completed over 200m, with 5 u/c and none approved or proposed even. That equates to 48 over 200m.

With the current data, Shanghai has 44, New York has 56, and Hong Kong has 48 over 200m.
So, you got it. Shanghai is catching up. In ten years, the difference between NY and Shanghai was reduced to 20 towers, and it's being reduced even more. Shanghai will have more towers over 200m than NY in 10 or 15 years. Shanghai completed 28 towers over 200m in the last 10 years and it will build another 28 or even more in the following 10. Take notice that the rate is speeding up...

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:19 PM   #150
Spooky873
BANNED

in 10 to 15 who knows where these cities will be, the boom is in cycles. Shanghai at 44 with NY at 56. Thats still 12 behind. Do you expect NY to not build at all? The proposals and real estate coming out today is the hottest its been in decades, not just in Manhattan, but the redevelopment projects for 30+ in Queens and Bklyn. Jersey City benefits from high property taxes in NYC. It may be in a different state, which it shouldnt be, but adding that would boost it even more.

I dont even see Shanghai surpassing Hong Kong. I give Hong Kong the edge with the rivalry there, much more liberal economy, although Shanghai has caught up.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:22 PM   #151
Brasil Guy

Likes (Received): 5

well...take a look a Sâo Paulo in Brazil....
depending on your classification on what is a high-rise building, there isn´t any other city with more U/C and aproved projects in the world than São Paulo.

There are 834 buildings with 12+ floors U/C and aproved in São Paulo, and, this is not a surprise, none of them has more than 50 floors....

The U/C list is not complete yet, there are maybe more 100 buildings U/C+aproved buildings lost over here and there.

Just to give you guys an idea, every month around 50 buildings with 12+ floors are aproved in the city.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:25 PM   #152
Spooky873
BANNED

thanks for the reminder on that, i was gonna say something about hte 100m statement but forgot. Id say Sao Paolo owns when it comes to 100m, no way its Shanghai as z0rg stated. Of course the rate of construction is booming and its hard to keep track for such activity in Shanghai, and so they say 'just imagine', making it seem as if its endless, which it very well could not be at all.

Last edited by Spooky873; August 3rd, 2006 at 11:34 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 11:45 PM   #153
Spooky873
BANNED

Keep in mind that NY has had a cities worth of buildings demolished. 214.
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #154
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I wouldn't rely on Emporis for Shanghai at all, HK numbers are also off, considering the fact that they count multiple towers in one development as only one tower.

Please note there are at least 70 200m+ buildings in Hong Kong. As compiled by Jason Poon:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=376655

"29 built for Shanghai" -- I highly doubt it. When I was there it looked like this (and this is only a small fraction of the city):
Old August 4th, 2006, 01:25 AM   #155
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Is this project proposed or approved? I hope its proposed because building it would be UGLY!

raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #156
feverwin
Peace-all the world needs

Likes (Received): 124

Good, it seems we are talking about skyscrapers again... I'm a Chinese, I know when someone said that SH surpass or get close to Big four will be a little arrogant... But don't act like drunkenmunkey who deny the whole group of people like "all the Chinese are cocky"... I know in skyline SH may be the big four, but far from Big four in other area... HK is still the number 1 in whole China, and I also believe SH who has large population and land will surpass HK and become top world class cities one day...

For some Shanghaiese, please don't be too proud...
feverwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #157
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

The building is pretty bad
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:41 AM   #158
feverwin
Peace-all the world needs

Likes (Received): 124

For Dubai, please excuse me, I don't consider her as a world class city, with 1 million people and 293.94/km² land? Though I know her skyline is terrific...

IMO, to be a world class city, you should at least have 5-10 million people with 1000 km², and of course great economics power behind, perfect location, excellent infrastructure, great transportation system...
feverwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #159
Minotaur

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMagick
I smell smoke. A flame war is about to begin :p And dubai supporters havent even join the debate yet. lol

I already seen the dubai guys in one of these threads, maybe it was this one, already.
Minotaur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #160
Brasil Guy

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by feverwin
Good, it seems we are talking about skyscrapers again... I'm a Chinese, I know when someone said that SH surpass or get close to Big four will be a little arrogant... But don't act like drunkenmunkey who deny the whole group of people like "all the Chinese are cocky"... I know in skyline SH may be the big four, but far from Big four in other area... HK is still the number 1 in whole China, and I also believe SH who has large population and land will surpass HK and become top world class cities one day...

For some Shanghaiese, please don't be too proud...
You´re right.
Shanghai will get a nice skyline but it will never look like HK´s.
In 20 years Shanghai will look like São Paulo, super dense but with taller buildings.

In fact, the image posted by skybean looks a lot like São Paulo, buildings as far as eye can see!