daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 75 votes, 4.83 average.
Old August 18th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #101
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1630

At first I found the Bishopsgate Tower a tad too flamboyant for London. It was very Dubai and Middle Eastern in style, and I felt it was jarring compared to 'typical' London designs, which are usually solid, very corporate and show a real finesse yet don't have or need 'frills' for the sake of having them. In terms of 122 Leadenhall, Tower 42, Heron, Minerva, One Canada Square and The Shard they all came across as very refined working machines, with a real masculine presence on the skyline, and this somehow for me echoed the nature of London architecture, very masculine, solid, powerful, almost arrogant icons which can be seen with Big Ben, Houses Of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge.

But as more renderings were released and the new height tower became the norm on the skyline renders, I began to appreciate how organic and stylish this tower actually is. And then it really dawned on me how, especially with Swiss Re, London's architecture is seeing a dramatic shift, just as the city is experiencing. London is suddenly the 'now' place, it's successful multiculturalism and a powerhouse of arts, fashion and entertainment are unrivalled around the world, and this is now being shown through it's architecture as well as this new generation of skyscrapers. Winning the Olympics wasn't just about having a good bid, it was about showing how London really is pushing itself into something new, reinventing itself like it has done before. And I think the Bishopsgate Tower really defines this - a confident, powerful piece of architecture, yet incredibly liberal in its detailings, almost a celebration of the art of the skyscraper.

The Shard shows the corporate, masculine, dominating powerhouse that is London. The Bishopsgate Tower shows it's heart - the multicultural, artistic, liberal and dramatic side of London. Once both are built they will have a dynamic relationship a lot of other cities will be unable to replicate.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #102
potto

Likes (Received): 1808

nice post
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #103
J.A.W

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmentor
Swiss Re is better, by far than this millenium tower.
oh I know - i'd prefer swiss over Millenium tower any day, but the Bishopsgate spiral trick tries and fails to impress me, whereas the Millenium tower is the sort of thoughful design that doesnt make an over effort and has an effortless dignity suitable for the style of londons skyline. I read my previous post and found it a little violent I admit. Its the shorter and fatter design with the unsightly bulging tapering sides which i really object to - i dont mind the slimmer one as much

i agree with you above - a more organic stye seems to be the current state of affairs which may increase the level of imagination in our skyline, and create a vastly rewarding relief to the masculine rigidity of CW, but Fosters millenium tower has a sensitive and calming crown which I see as beautiful in this organic sense, unlike the bishopsgate which is sharp and has a rigid sheet like appearance likea stiff curtain or windbreak which has slackened.
anyway - I can see that thats a minority opinion
J.A.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #104
Fragmentor
Funky London

Minority doesnt mean it's not valid, i apoligise if my post came across as though this was the case. I have never had a problem with the millenium tower, but I could only really feel it was in place if it was build say, on the 80-88 bishopsgate site, allowing both Swiss Re and the DIFA Tower to still exist (ignoring Viewing corridoor laws and the like for my point's sake). If it was just like this:

It would be too overbearing, in my opinion.
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #105
J.A.W

actually I think it is a bit big (for now that is)
but i find it sad that its a wasted design which just simply has more dignity, i like it gardens aswell - new scrapers like Bishopsgate design should have more of that sort of thing - a bit of green is never a bad thing

Last edited by J.A.W; August 18th, 2006 at 03:48 PM.
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #106
London
New York

You'll be amazed at how similar both towers are in terms of impact and height. But in terms of architecture and character, i think i know which one i prefer... Bishopsgate!

I think bishopsgate is of a perfect height... any taller then it'll be overbearing just like the millenium tower is. I'd much prefer Bish as our Pinnacle for the skyline, dont you?

Old August 18th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #107
wearethefuture

Likes (Received): 18

Bish looks way to fat and chunky there, needs to go on a diet!
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #108
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1630

Can anyone put them together in the same rendering? Plus the other proposals?
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #109
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 5802

You have to remember that Tower 42 is very thin, which kind of emphasises the "fatness" of Bishopsgate Tower.
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #110
J.A.W

yes but it wouldnt be so bad for me if the sides were straight - its that that makes it look so bloated and bottom heavy - completely reversing the gracefulness that is intended to be created by the light organic apperance of the spiral forms
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethefuture
Bish looks way to fat and chunky there, needs to go on a diet!
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:27 PM   #111
J.A.W

i do seem to be warming to the spiral form, but ill never like the sloping sides i never will
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #112
elfabyanos
Dracuna Macoides

Likes (Received): 4

J.A.W. never? Never!? Aww go on. Can we warm you some more?

Seriously my opinion about this one I really don't know. There isn't anything remotely similar to this design. So I think it could possibly look strange,odd, out of place whatever. I do know that I want make my decision while actually looking at the final fully built building! I'm guessing I'll wanna kiss it. I think it's fascinating.
elfabyanos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #113
sourov

it this building approved or what cuz they cancel all the time
sourov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #114
J.A.W

if thats the official picture of its final appearance above, then I will never like it A LOT, and it looks like it will take up a huge plot at its very fat base and be horrifyingly bulky, if thats it's official rendering in its place and diminsions that is otherwise I couldnt possibly comment...

Last edited by J.A.W; August 19th, 2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old August 19th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #115
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourov
it this building approved or what cuz they cancel all the time
Yes it is approved. And only two have been cancelled out of like 30 proposals. Do you read anything before you post? Try Skyscrapernews.com
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #116
henry

Likes (Received): 3

If anyone can tell me how to post a picture i have a rendering of the millenium tower together with the other proposals.
henry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #117
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 173

upload the picture to image shack, right click and select properties, then select and copy the address(URL). Click on the insert image icon, and paste the address in there.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #118
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

I hope Bishopgate on paper doesn't end up as the next 20 Fenchurch Street!

It's way out of proportion with the height reduction. If it ended up like that render, I'd prefer the Millenium Tower.
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #119
Dan1987

I wish they had shrunk it to proportion, I'm sure the general public wouldn't notice that each turn of the spire alligns itself to the top height of the buildings around it
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2006, 10:27 PM   #120
London
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe
Can anyone put them together in the same rendering? Plus the other proposals?

Here's one i did just now... scale and position is spot on!

Last edited by London; August 19th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
arab, architecture, city, construction, demolition, london, pinnacle, skyline, skyscraper, tower

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: