daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #601
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

From today...

ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #602
iLiR

Likes (Received): 276

Nice pics ramvid01. This beauty is a great collection to Manhattan's skyline.
iLiR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #603
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

thank you ramvid01
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #604
Pas

Likes (Received): 2

nice update thanks
Pas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #605
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Likes (Received): 24

April 26, 2007

THE FORCE IS STRONG WITH THIS TOWER !!!

Old April 27th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #606
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

Although this article talks more about Braynt Pk, it does mention about 1 Bryant Pk as well
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/22/re...ref=realestate
An Enduring Strip of Green in an Ever-Evolving City

By CHRISTOPHER GRAY
Published: April 22, 2007

Hiroko Masuike for The New York Times

As The Years Slip By The Verizon and Bank of America buildings tower over the west end of Bryant Park.

MetroHistory.com

The plantings had become quite elaborate by 1936, two years after the park’s renovation.

MetroHistory.com

In 1941, Raymond Loewy suggested that the space be outfitted with a 10-story-high landing deck for autogiros.

THE little patch of Bryant Park, which runs along the Avenue of the Americas from 40th to 42nd Streets, just behind the New York Public Library, is now surrounded by its own mini-building-boom.

The old Verizon Building, directly across the avenue, is getting a new green glass skin. Last year, a new Marriott Residence Inn was completed at 39th and the Avenue of the Americas. Then there is the new 54-story Bank of America tower at the northwest corner of 42nd, designed by the architectural firm of Cook & Fox with a 1,200-foot-tall spire.

Together, they dwarf the park, which dates to 1823, when it was acquired by the city for $8,449. It was first used as a potter’s field, according to Charles Haswell’s 1897 “Reminiscences of an Octogenarian.”

By 1842, the new Croton Reservoir occupied the eastern third of the park, facing Fifth Avenue. The remaining land, named Reservoir Square, was by 1853 the site of the huge glass exposition hall called the Crystal Palace, which burned down five years later.

The little park then became a magnet for grandiose proposals: a new Seventh Regiment armory, in 1872; a grand opera house, in 1880; the New-York Historical Society, in 1881; the relocation of City Hall, in 1893; a new General Post Office, in 1903. None were carried out, though in 1884 Reservoir Square was renamed to honor William Cullen Bryant, the poet and editor of The Evening Post, who had recently died.

Public discipline was an issue in the park in 1895, according to The New York Times, which reported the eruption of a brawl after a policeman ordered a man to leave. The man resisted, and “about 50 park loungers” joined in the fray, severely injuring the policeman, according to the account.

It was in the 1890s that the New York Public Library decided to fill in the reservoir and build on that site without encroaching on the park itself. Its civilizing influence perhaps promised a higher class of park denizen, but a letter to The Times in 1905, signed only Observer, complained about finding “papers strewn over the grass, loafers fast asleep and sprawled out over the benches.”

In 1910, with the public library a year from completion, the National Academy of Design retained the library’s architects, Carrčre & Hastings, to design a three-story building, 50 feet wide, along the entire western edge of the park. It was to serve as an art gallery and barrier to block the view and noise of the elevated train. But open space trumped those potential assets, saving a large chunk of Bryant Park.

Only in 1911 was a statue of Bryant unveiled, followed in 1912 by a monument to Josephine Shaw Lowell, a social worker. In 1921, The Times noted that on any given night 400 to 600 men camped in what was called “the Bryant Park Hotel,” singing, playing poker and drinking, and in the morning it “looks like a junkman’s cellar after a flood.”

To mark the bicentennial, in 1932, of the birth of George Washington, a temporary stucco copy of Federal Hall — the long-gone structure on Wall Street where Washington took his first oath of office — was placed in the park. The celebration, coupled perhaps with preceding neglect, left the park a dusty mess, for a letter to The Times in 1933 from Utilitarian called it a “barren waste” and suggested it be used for baseball fields.

That year, Lusby Simpson, an architect, won a competition for what, after revisions, became the park of the present day, replacing the original iron fence with a stone balustrade, raising the entire level four feet and creating a simple patch of turf in the middle, two steps down. Working with him on the design were Gilmore D. Clarke, a landscape architect, and Aymar Embury, another architect.

The 1934 reconstruction had been a long time coming. Most of the credit went to the energetic new parks commissioner, Robert Moses, who rejected a proposal by World War I veterans to rename the space Lost Battalion Park, after the American forces that met a tragic fate in the Argonne Forest in France in October 1918.

At the reopening, Mayor Fiorello La Guardia was asked if the park would again be allowed to deteriorate. The Times reported his reply: “Oh, we can keep it like this as long as we keep Moses.”

But the critic Lewis Mumford, writing in 1934 in his Skyline column in The New Yorker, let go with both barrels, saying the design should have been thrown “into the wastebasket” and objecting to the sweeping vista across the new western steps to the elevated train tracks.

In the fall of 1941, Raymond Loewy suggested that the space be outfitted with a 10-story-high landing deck for autogiros (aircraft soon superseded by the helicopter), set on slim steel pylons. He said that it could serve a double purpose as a bomb shelter.

In the 1970s, Bryant Park again became a haven for those with nowhere else to go. In 1980 the Bryant Park Restoration Corporation was organized to transform the park — a task accomplished by 1992, with a few minor changes designed by Hanna/Olin Ltd., like the wide new entrance at the 42nd Street corner.

Now, 15 years later, the transformation of Bryant Park — the restaurant behind the library, the poetry readings, summer movies and winter ice skating — is old news.

And so it is not surprising that Bryant Park, once synonymous with the worst of New York City, has become a brand name. The Marriott building has adopted the name Bryant Park Tower, and the Bank of America building has taken the address of 1 Bryant Park, a strange but wonderful turnabout for what was an epithet not so long ago.

E-mail: [email protected]
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #607
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

For once I actually have something to contribute, and someone else beat me to it....

Both pics were taken today. (4/26/07)

czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #608
FastFerrari
I double dog dare you!!!

Likes (Received): 32

some these shots are amazing....they justify my chose as NYC the skyscrapercity #1 vote....keep em coming
FastFerrari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #609
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by czm3 View Post
For once I actually have something to contribute, and someone else beat me to it....
HA HA WHO????
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:18 AM   #610
czm3
Automobile lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos123 View Post
HA HA WHO????

lol, judging by the color of the sky in your pics, I assume you were there before or during lunchtime.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:24 AM   #611
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

^

NOPE...those fotos were taken today around 3:45 pm.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #612
czm3
Automobile lover

too funny, I walked a friend to GCS to catch a 2:33 train, I must have been at that corner within ten minutes of you. Amazing how different the sky looks.

*edit* I checked the metadata and i took those pics at 2:46
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #613
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

^
Yeah...... I had lunch with a friend at the Brooklyn diner..on 57th st..then it looked like it was gonna rain..so I started to walk towards 42nd st....by the time i got to the BOA tower the sky opened up and it looks beautiful!!!
Old April 28th, 2007, 02:42 AM   #614
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 283

its quite an interesting shape...i like it...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #615
meghnarmajhi
Tetulia theke Teknaf

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful
meghnarmajhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #616
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

wow the facade is really beautiful. And the setting in the park - priceless! Another wonderful addition!
ch1le está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #617
Joe 2007
Joe_1978

Likes (Received): 0

I really like the look of this building from the renders, and it will be yet another stunning skyscraper to add to New Yorks already stunning skyline.
Joe 2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #618
Carlos123
Bionic Boogie

Saturday April 28, 2007

Old April 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #619
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

thank you carlos, great update
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #620
giovani kun
====(^.^)====

Likes (Received): 559

The cladding is just fantastic...i love it...
giovani kun no está en línea   Reply With Quote