daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #241
Platypus
Go Krauthammer!

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningxiard View Post
At least, I will never have any interest in living in Melbourne or even anywhere in Australia, even though lots of Australians assume that's the best place to live in the whole world.
Not just Australians. Melbourne was rated the "World's most livable city" by the Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU), which is a London based organisation.
Platypus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #242
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12360

Quote:
How do you explain this map of Qing Dynasty? Obviously, Tibet is already a part of China at least in seventeenth century. So in your opinion when did China invade Tibet?
in this case i claim one third of the globe for her majesty queen elizabeth of britain. we owned it until recently you know. its ours by right. any italians want to put in claims for what they owned in the roman empire? how about mongols, perhaps you could claim all of russia thanks to ghengis khan... this is not the forum to be making claims about somewhere because your great great great great great great grandfather temporarily conquered it for a couple of hundred years.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #243
ningxiard

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
Not just Australians. Melbourne was rated the "World's most livable city" by the Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU), which is a London based organisation.
Then what?! I am sure there are still lots of people who will never be interested in living there.
ningxiard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #244
Falc_hoon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ningxiard View Post
Well, you never know. People are different from each other, and you never know what's going to to happen in future. At least, I will never have any interest in living in Melbourne or even anywhere in Australia, even though lots of Australians assume that's the best place to live in the whole world.
lots of Chinese too
Falc_hoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #245
Falc_hoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Lujiazui CBD
It took me a moment to work out why they'd plan 3 identical gold skyscrapers with balls on top
Falc_hoon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #246
ningxiard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
in this case i claim one third of the globe for her majesty queen elizabeth of britain. we owned it until recently you know. its ours by right. any italians want to put in claims for what they owned in the roman empire? how about mongols, perhaps you could claim all of russia thanks to ghengis khan... this is not the forum to be making claims about somewhere because your great great great great great great grandfather temporarily conquered it for a couple of hundred years.
Well, that's only because your soldiers and settlers didn't manage to kill most of the native people in one third of the globe like what they did in we-all-know-where.

BTW, I still don't understand why there are so many people who are so desperate to ruin every thread related to China on SSC with the same craps that have been repeated for millions of time. Don't you have anything more constructive to do?!
ningxiard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #247
zergling

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post
So what happened in 1950? The PLA just dropped in for a friendly cup of tea?
What does what happened in 1950 have to do with anything? How the f*ck is there any connection between that map of old China and what they did back then? If anything, what the did doesn't concern anyone else in this world because it was China's own army doing business on its own soil.
zergling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #248
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

With all this city planning going on, I wonder if Beijing will erect a statue for the man who stood in front of the tanks during the riot in '89. Come to think of it, I wonder if Beijing will even admit that happened....
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:20 AM   #249
Bandit

Likes (Received): 6

Well we know the Iraqis are honoring and remembering Americans for their war of lies by paving the streets with their blood.
Bandit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 08:40 AM   #250
googleabcd

Likes (Received): 1

Hey..Everytime, the threads about China will end up with China vs U.S or Commu vs Cap topics.
googleabcd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #251
cyberjaya
KL/PHL/BJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by googleabcd View Post
Hey..Everytime, the threads about China will end up with China vs U.S or Commu vs Cap topics.
Right. This is a China Masterplanning thread, What the heck you guys raised the Tibet/Tian'anmen Square issues here? Are you guys so worried about the betterness of people's living standard? Be cool and get a life.
cyberjaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM   #252
Surumi

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc_hoon View Post
It took me a moment to work out why they'd plan 3 identical gold skyscrapers with balls on top
Surumi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #253
egramsbergen

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohno View Post
No wonder you consider, " Shanghai beat you all." You are one of 28,000,000 Shanghainese.
28 million? Where did you get that figure? I know Shanghai is big, but more like 16 million. How big is the metropolitan area of "greater Shanghai" to arrive at the number of 28 million?
egramsbergen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #254
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15915

According to official sources*, Shanghai municipality topped 20,000,000 residents a couple of years ago including floating pop. Greater SG (which I assume includes satellite cities out of the municipality of SG such as Kunshan, etc) should be around 30,000,000 for sure.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #255
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 710

As far as i know there are no reliabele sources for population counts on chnese cities. Offcial figures are way to low but there are no other sources with better estimates.
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #256
Shanghai City
a german in china^^

Likes (Received): 1

The min population of Shanghai is 25.000.000, the max is 35.000.000, but in these numbers not include the population, who is not registed. 16 mil shanghai had in 1998, but not jet!!

Anyway, the big population of chinese cities is one of the conditions, why the economy grow fast!! And a fast growing economy cause really big projects!

I am a german, who lives actually in Shanghai,China. But on holidays (for example christmas) i fly to germany and visit my family and freinds! :)

Greetz to all!
Shanghai City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #257
ShowMeKC

Not always SC, ppl with lots of money also cause big projects, look at Dubai for example. You could also look to the DRPK, they have some big projects that don't really have much effect simply b/c of their government.

And sorry to continue this pointless political fight... But China hasn't gotten where it is by staying 100% communist, it's adopted, and still is adopting many capitalist things. You just need to look at the DPRK to see where 100% communism gets you.

Also, no offense SC, but what do you mean by Shanghai will beat you all? Do you mean in China or the World? Because Shanghai may have a very high population, but look at it's density compared to many other world cities. Also, how can Shanghai grow from 17.78 million in 2005 to 28 million in 2006? It was only at about 16 million in 2000. And about 13 million in 1990...
ShowMeKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM   #258
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
According to official sources*, Shanghai municipality topped 20,000,000 residents a couple of years ago including floating pop. Greater SG (which I assume includes satellite cities out of the municipality of SG such as Kunshan, etc) should be around 30,000,000 for sure.
When you say floating population, then what is the criteria to classify them as residents of Shanghai?

They would possibly be added as residents of a second city then as well.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM   #259
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15915

Over 6 months living in that place I think. Not sure. Counting floating population in China should be more usual. The income gap is not growing so much if you notice rural migrations, because the GDP per capita in Shanghai is not as high as supposed if you include all those millions of rural immigrants. On the other hand, the GDP per capita of for example Henan is much higher than official. Take notice that over 15-20 million of Henanese reside in other provinces.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #260
wiki

Likes (Received): 18

im spechless
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote