daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #161
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

the concentration of skyscrapers in America as you know are primarily in NYC and Chicago, much like your HK and Shanghai. Miami is one that is having a bigger boom than NYC % wise.

Personally I like the way our skylines are. Sao Paolo is just massive, but its not very characteristic, theres no concentration or mass, no substance in one particular area that grabs the eye.

Our skylines consist of buildings that are mainly office. Thats how America always was, there was HARDLY residentials anywhere, we live in houses. The residential/condo living is getting popular. Just as in China, there are currently tons of construction sites in NYC as well. Just taking a walk youd pass many sites. I dont know about other American cities. You do notice though that our cities buildings are primarily office.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #162
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

I agree with what you said on #160 and #161,Spooky. Yet,there will surely be more office towers in China than in the US in the next 10 years,and they will be taller and more futuristic than American ones.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #163
Brussels-east

Likes (Received): 5

It's really amazing to see all these masterplans. But I'm not surprised.

China is growing so faster !
Brussels-east no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:31 AM   #164
kingdomca

Likes (Received): 0

I think the economic growth in China is great but I am getting disapointed with the outrageous nationalistic garbage coming from many chinese about their oh-so-innocent nation and the oh-so brutal west.

I do trust and hope its only a small aggressive minority who think like this and apparently hope that china will become some sort of world dictator.

I am certainly not afraid of China, though, and only hope they will continue to grow. Its good for the world. But to the aggressiv nationalists I can only say sorry, The idea that China will rule the world is ridiculous. Should China ever become all that mighty, The US and Europe will simply adjust and move closer together.
kingdomca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #165
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Oh shit. Hope you didnt open a can of worms on that one...
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:22 AM   #166
zergling

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
I enjoyed the masterplans, but lets say in 30 years i visit each of these cities, i highly doubt theyll look like that.

I share the same doubt.
Considering there was hardly any skyscraper in China 20 years ago, I'd say that in 30 years the cityscapes in China makes those projections look like small villages.
zergling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #167
stevenli
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555
Some look great, some will be watered down, some will be comp[letely thrown out the window. This is a poor way of showing off economic power. Creating areas which are practically the size of cities is a recipe for disaster. Give it another 30 years and they will be regretting it.
male, you are wrong. it's not a way to show off economic,but the NEED in reality. population in China=4 times of WHOLE EURO!
stevenli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #168
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenli
male, you are wrong. it's not a way to show off economic,but the NEED in reality. population in China=4 times of WHOLE EURO!
The population of Europe is about 700,000,000, so its only 2x the size of Europe
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #169
Indyman

Does anybody have a picture of a small Chinese city? Does it even exist lol. But for real is there a pic of a city maybe 10-20,000? On this forum Ive never seen it.
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #170
Dan1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman
Does anybody have a picture of a small Chinese city? Does it even exist lol. But for real is there a pic of a city maybe 10-20,000? On this forum Ive never seen it.

What kind of city only has 20,000 people? Thats a small town
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #171
Indyman

Plenty of cities in the US. Should I have said town? It is a more appropriate term.
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #172
Indyman

http://www.city-data.com/city/Pennsylvania.html

I just used pennsylvania because it is a fairly poulated state. But you can see that many cities are under or around 20,000.

Last edited by Indyman; July 30th, 2006 at 04:32 AM.
Indyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:22 AM   #173
obtuse_edge

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
I enjoyed the masterplans, but lets say in 30 years i visit each of these cities, i highly doubt theyll look like that.

You know how many projections and masterplans ive seen for my city? Its pretentious.

Some of these people already act as if these plans are already built.
Most of these plans are already being built, or construction have already started.

China is on a fast pace to development, it can't be compared to other countries.
obtuse_edge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #174
Austin Liu

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloPerilo
Suzhou lies next to Taihu Lake, which is huuuuuge in comparison to Xihu Lake in Hangzhou.
It should be Jinji Lake " Golden **** Lake" in the east district of Suzhou
Austin Liu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #175
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

wow amazing masterplan looks very cool. Good stuff China!
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #176
xiaoluis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

OMG!
xiaoluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:36 AM   #177
QuebecCity

China is too different from canada, I would like to take a trip there, I know where it is, what flag it has but a lot of things are blank in my head. But if they were poor, its good for them to become like us, i mean, no body in the world is supose to live in a mini-house when us we are over-living
QuebecCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #178
Yee Haa

Awesome...Go Go Go Middle kingdom...
Yee Haa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #179
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

This is just amazing!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #180
boogo
(oo)~~

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by obtuse_edge
Coming from the UK, you have some nerve to talk about "******* barbaric nations". China in its history has been far more civilized than your young nation which barely emerged out of the trees until only a few hundred years ago.

Britain has been guilty of more crimes against the world than any other nation. You have no right to be self-righteous when you are speaking to Chinese. China, historically was a peaceful country that was far less aggressive than its power dictated. Yours, however, was far more aggressive than necessary, often wiping out whole populations for sport, like the Aborigines in Australia. The British are good for two things, one is barbaric behavior, the other is self-righteous behavior. Your hypocrisy is truly unbelievable.

This is a Chinese thread, and you're not welcome. Why don't you mind your own business? China was once the victim of British imperialism, but today China is a rising and mighty power. In 30 years time, China will be a leading superpower and dominate the world stage, the world's most powerful men will be Chinese. Just because your tiny island nation is receding back to the irrelevant savagery that it emerged from when your ancestors walked out of caves half-naked a few hundred years ago, don't be jealous that our great 5,000 year old civilization is regaining its rightful place as the greatest and most powerful nation on this earth.

Pathetic British savage.
I doubt China will be leading superpower. Maybe is huge, but the world belongs to white man; all americas, europe and part of the asia. No one allows Chinese to be a leading superpower. USA can(and will) double its population with no problem. Australia can reach over 150mln with no problem.
China has huge population, but it's overcrowded now when especially both americas and australia have a great potencial to increase population
Unfortunatelly even people in Africa speak english or french not chinese!
Chinese would be leading power if you restarted your Civilization game and ruled the world before the white man did, in order that people in both americas looked chinese.
English speaking India will be more and more powerful.
Biggest companies comes from USA or EU, thanks to Chinese boom they will become more and more powerful bringing more and more money to USA and EU.
The most important thing: China needs oil who is in the USA and UE hand and nothing will change in that matter.
It was said that Japan will be a competitor to USA, and what is now? Even "tiny" UK develops more quickly than Japan now.

But this was not my intention. I'd like to say that i'm very impressed seeing chinese developing so fast. But you must now the fact that in democratic countries goverment can loose the authority very fast if he doesn't care about interes of specified social group. Do you think that poor people in west and middle China wouldn't stop to fund the new infrastructure in the eastern cities,by their cost, if they only could? In democracy goverment that want to keep the power would have to care about electorate from poorer areas and it'd slow the progress like you have now.