daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:41 PM   #1
Ar.beginner

Likes (Received): 0

Jewish Musuem

Kindly share your Opinion about Jewish Museum. Discuss an aspect of architecture which embodies a meaning which is Culturally Significant.

Jewish Museum Berlin Germany. By Daniel Libeskind 1998 (museum opened 2001)

Libeskind’s academic and intellectual practice culminate in this much-talked-about and unusual building. The design is based on a rather involved process of connecting lines between locations of historic events and locations of Jewish culture in Berlin. These lines form a basic outline and structure for the building. Libeskind also has used the concepts of absence, emptiness, and the invisible—expressions of the disappearance of Jewish culture in the city—to design the building. This concept takes form in a kinked and angled sequence through the building, orchestrated to allow the visitor to see (but not to enter) certain empty rooms, which Libeskind terms ‘voided voids.’ The ideas which generate the plan of the building repeat themselves on the surface of the building, where voids, windows, and perforations form a sort of cosmological composition on an otherwise undifferentiated, zig-zagging zinc surface.
Ar.beginner no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #2
joedellasandro

I visited this museum in 2001 and was emotionally moved by my experience there. The amazing thing is that somehow the buliding itself evokes emotion when you are in it......I can't really describe it, but it somehow takes you there, to where it all happened while standing in an ultra modern building.....AMAZING!
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #3
Ar.beginner

thanks anyway! hopefully, I can experienced too ...
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Ar.beginner

can i know more about the infomation of the axes~~ i meant the 3 different routes! wats the feeling ? what u had experienced? what did it look like ?
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #5
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

The pictures of it that I've seen are great. I hope to go to it.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:06 AM   #6
tonytowers
Remember the Name

I visited it in 2005, love entering through the basement and working your way up the building. There's some really interesing and disorientating perspective effects with sloping floors, walls and ceilings, which really focus you on the purpose of the building, which as Joe said really evoke emotions.

There was one thing that dissapointed me once inside the building was that you never really got the effect of the zig-zag plan as you moved around the exhibition. Once inside the significance of this plan was completely lost as you meander through the exhibits and i found no references to them. The exhibition was not designed by the architects and the deigners of it made no use of the actual architecture. I feel the exhibition could be redesigned to make maximum use of the architecture.
tonytowers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 06:12 PM   #7
Ar.beginner

ooo great!! thx for sharing ur experienced! Tony! ..
actually im doing some research related to jewish musuem .. due to i never been there ... so i need some object to leads me...
Old July 31st, 2006, 07:30 PM   #8
joedellasandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytowers
I visited it in 2005, love entering through the basement and working your way up the building. There's some really interesing and disorientating perspective effects with sloping floors, walls and ceilings, which really focus you on the purpose of the building, which as Joe said really evoke emotions.

There was one thing that dissapointed me once inside the building was that you never really got the effect of the zig-zag plan as you moved around the exhibition. Once inside the significance of this plan was completely lost as you meander through the exhibits and i found no references to them. The exhibition was not designed by the architects and the deigners of it made no use of the actual architecture. I feel the exhibition could be redesigned to make maximum use of the architecture.
I agree, it was totally disorientating at times.....confusing as well.
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:23 PM   #9
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

I visited it in February this year, highly feeling-evoking (if that makes sense) place. The holocaust tower at the end scared the life out of me, I thought that the Jewish people were going to get revenge! (if this comment is mis-construed as racist, then it certainly wasn't my intention, just describing the way I felt at the time)
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:35 PM   #10
koolkid

Likes (Received): 133

not kool...

jk