daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2007, 05:23 PM   #201
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

This quote is from KC ROO from KCRag.com forum. I thought I'd post it over here because it's important news about the P&L District.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I was able to meet with some of the Cordish officials yesterday, the hotel/condo tower is expected to finished by fall 08, and will consist of about 28 stories of condos above a 10 story hotel, prices will begin in the mid $300,000's. Future towers will be build depending upon the sales of the first tower. They also stated that the plaza directly south of the H&R Bloch building which they are dubbing as little Italy as all restaurants will be Italian in nature with the exception of Chipolte is 100% leased. The club district is 100% leased as well, he did not share any new tenets. Regarding the retail he stated that it is about 80% leased including a 25,00sf department store comparable to a Fred Seigil. Things are looking good and they are ahead of schedule, and everything should be completed and open in October to coincide with the opening of the Sprint Arena. Sprint will also have a flagship new concept store in the district taking up about 10,000sf if memory serve me correct it will also have a model home inside with different Sprint technology inside.

Regarding the AMC theater: Talking to some of the Cordish officials yesterday, the theater will be the first all digital theatre in the US, it will have six screens plus a roof-top screen. patrons will be able to purchase tickets on line and pick their own seats. Location in the theater will determine the price of the seats. Additionally patrons can order their food online, and have it brought to them upon arrival. This will truly be a first class development. I cannot wait for it to open.

Last edited by kcmetro; February 1st, 2007 at 05:31 PM.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:46 AM   #202
frankthetank

Likes (Received): 0

I can't wait to pick my seat!
frankthetank no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:47 PM   #203
kcmetro
BANNED

California Pizza Kitchen has been added to the list of confirmed P&L tenants. There's already one on the Plaza. Pretty good stuff.

http://www.cpk.com/
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:05 AM   #204
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from red brick View Post
Beautiful. Just beautiful

Kansas ******* City. The role model for what every Midwest city should strive to emulate, including Chicago. Because unlike Chicago, KC never had a mass period of decline. It was all uphill, baby!
Why do these toolbags seem to keep coming from KC?

kcmetro, I suggest you find out where LJK/Raytown/etc etc lives and whoop his ass.

EDIT: Sorry just saw he was banned. Anyone wanna make a bet when the spacewaster returns? I give it a month TOPS.

www.urbanstl.com
Absolut355 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 03:52 AM   #205
arenn

Likes (Received): 132

The Power and Light District is being developed by Cordish? They did the 4th St. Live project in Louisville. It seems to me that they are pretty successful at pulling these off, but their projects seem very chain oriented and cheesy, at least if 4th St. Live is any indication. I believe that's a much, much smaller project than the Power and Light District though.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:32 AM   #206
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arenn View Post
The Power and Light District is being developed by Cordish? They did the 4th St. Live project in Louisville. It seems to me that they are pretty successful at pulling these off, but their projects seem very chain oriented and cheesy, at least if 4th St. Live is any indication. I believe that's a much, much smaller project than the Power and Light District though.
Cheesy? I think we're getting some great tenants in there. It won't be Park Ave. or the Plaza, but it shouldn't be. It needs to be something that attracts a wide range of people, and that gives residents of downtown something to do on a regular basis (grocery store, affordable restaurants, night clubs). I think Cordish knows what they're doing. Plus, this project is basically supposed to be a "catalyst" as they've said, to get downtown back and running. The rest of the infill will happen pretty fast soon after. You'll undoubtedly start seeing other independent restaurants and businesses filling space around the district once it takes off. I have no doubt about that.

And yes, the P&L will be much larger than 4th Street Live. As far as condos go around the area, there is one under construction that is supposed to be about 15 stories I think. Then Cordish has planned 3 more on the south side which will be between 15 and 20 stories. And they also will have a 38 story condo/hotel highrise on the north side of the district. This condo will be 28 at least, and if they can get the W Hotel it will add 10 stories on top of that.
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #207
ShowMeKC

The one that is under construction at 15 floors isn't part of the Power and Light District, but it's 1 block away from it.

But yes, it's pretty big. The condo/hotel tower would be something like 38-42 floors if the hotel was to be added. (depending, I remember they put a range of 10-15 additional floors)
As well as the 3 other condo towers you mentioned.
Then the 17 floor H&R Block Tower that was recently completed, and the 10 floor building that is planned for sometime in the future for an H&R Block expansion.

Add Sprint Center arena to that, and then the planned 1,000 room convention center hotel. With additional developments around the district like the 15/18 floor condo tower near the P&L Tower, new Ballroom, the u/c Performing Arts Center, etc...
ShowMeKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #208
ShowMeKC

Nevermind lol didn't realize the article was from 1992 :P
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #209
ShowMeKC

According to the Downtown council, Downtown residential construction finished VERY strong in 2006.
891 units were completed in 2006, and 988 units are currently under construction with 2605 units still planned.
http://www.downtownkc.org/FileUpload...ary%202007.pdf
Old February 6th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #210
ShowMeKC

MEDIA ADVISORY
February 6, 2007

CONTACTS:
Stanford Glazer, 816-531-2099
Carl Yaeger, 816-561-2761

WHEN:
3:00 p.m., Tuesday, February 6, 2007

WHERE:
Kansas City Port Authority
10 Petticoat Lane, Suite 250
Kansas City, MO 64106

WHO:
Stanford Glazer, Kansas City Mayoral Candidate
Carl Yaeger, President, Berger Devine Yaeger

Heartland Riverfront Landing’s
“World’s Tallest Observation Wheel and World’s Largest Heart Shaped Water Bridge”

WHAT: Kansas City Mayoral candidate & businessman Stan Glazer will announce a $100 million tourist and retail development for Kansas City’s river front. Glazer has asked Kansas City-based developer, RED Development, and Kansas City architect, Carl Yaeger, to serve as advisors to the “The World’s Tallest Observation Wheel” project, located along the bank of the Missouri River in Berkley Park. The proposed 50-story tall ride - allowing panoramic views of the entire heartland area - will include restaurants and retail areas within the development.

WHY: Inspired by the London Eye on the River Thames in England, Glazer wants to bring a signature attraction to his hometown of Kansas City. This 50-story tall ride will be the World’s Tallest Observation Wheel and will compliment the development now underway downtown providing Kansas City with its very own skyline icon such as the Arch in St. Louis, the Space Needle in Seattle and the Eye in London.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #211
ShowMeKC

vFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

For more information, contact:
Julie Gibson Sally, media relations representative
(816) 668-1143
[email protected]

Port Authority Statement on Glazer Announcement

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (Feb. 6, 2006)— Statement from Vincent Gauthier, Executive Director of the Port Authority of Kansas City:

“The Port Authority of Kansas City has selected Forest City Land Group, a Cleveland-based, nationally recognized developer of waterfront properties, as the Master Developer for the 55-acre riverfront site. Currently, we are in final negotiations with Forest City and are preparing to engage the public in a dialogue that will determine the best location for the GSA’s new headquarters. We believe the riverfront is an ideal location.”

“The Port Authority has worked tirelessly for over ten years to leverage more than $14 million in public and private dollars to clean the formerly contaminated riverfront site and to create a site that is attractive for private developers. Mr. Glazer’s enthusiasm is admirable and as a quasi-governmental agency, our doors are always open for public dialogue and new ideas. However, at this time, the Port Authority is focused on moving forward with Forest City to create a world-class development on Kansas City’s riverfront.”

###

About the Port Authority of Kansas City, Mo.

The Port Authority of Kansas City, Mo., was established in 1977 by the City of Kansas City to enhance commerce, transportation and trade along the waterfront and to contribute to the overall vitality of the local economy. The Port Authority is a political subdivision of the State of Missouri and was formed to promote economic development activities, especially those related to Kansas City's status as an inland port.

The Authority operates as a seven-member, mayor-appointed board and is entrusted with the power to condemn property, enter contracts, and issue bonds.
Old February 7th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #212
ShowMeKC

It just seems our mayoral race is getting weird, I wouldn't know why...
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #213
ragerunner1

Likes (Received): 44

Glad to see KC trying to put some life back into its downtown. With P&L, Sprint and the convention center I think KC has put into place many of the pieces needed to really start downtown's revival. A 1,000 room hotel could really boost the convention center business as well.
ragerunner1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #214
kcmetro
BANNED

Mayoral candidate wants to build 50-story ferris wheel along the MO River in downtown KC, which would be the biggest ferris wheel in the world.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/16639150.htm

Last edited by kcmetro; February 9th, 2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old February 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #215
kcmetro
BANNED

Here's another article about that 50-story ferris wheel. It made me laugh.
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...l/16657522.htm
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:22 PM   #216
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I sincerely hope that ferris wheel doesn't get built.
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:30 AM   #217
kcmetro
BANNED

NABC Hall of Fame under construction

The P&L is going up pretty fast

Last edited by kcmetro; February 12th, 2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old February 12th, 2007, 03:56 AM   #218
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Nice pics metro.

Seriously, the Sprint Center looks amazing. I haven't said that in about a week!

www.urbanstl.com
Absolut355 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #219
kcmetro
BANNED

KC on SixNewThings.com's list of the 12 Most Intriguing New Things for 2007.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...l-trends_x.htm

Kansas City, Mo. "We can't think of any other city with as much going on this year," Herrington said, including an addition to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art; a second Kansas City Repertory Theatre, the Copaken Stage; and the new Power & Light entertainment, residential and shopping district. An interactive attraction, the College Basketball Experience, is scheduled to open as part of the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame in the new Sprint Center arena.
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:44 AM   #220
KansasCityMO

Likes (Received): 2

They forgot about the 250m renovation to Kauffman and Arrowhead.
KansasCityMO no está en línea   Reply With Quote