daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #241
ShowMeKC

Likes (Received): 0

Bad news for Downtown, the Star reported that the GSA, which has 2000 workers, and is looking at Downtown for relocation, wants 4 blocks for it's 700,000 square feet, assumably in addition to another 1-2 blocks for parking. Rather than it's original 1-2 blocks which already cut the project from 1,200 units to 800.

If this is accurate reporting, then they need to either stop trying to get the GSA Downtown, or force the GSA to build on 1 block with underground parking. If the GSA cries "homeland security" or "terrorism" and wants a sprawled out complex, they need to point them back to their current complex.
ShowMeKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #242
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

It was confirmed today that The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium will be going into the Power & Light District. It will be part of the KC Live block where the outdoor music venue will be, and right across from the Sprint Center.
http://www.beerknurd.com/
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #243
kcmetro
BANNED

Here's the new PAC construction getting under way

P&L and arena
Old March 16th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #244
kcmetro
BANNED

P&L update. Pictures taken by ddw334umkc from the KC forum.

Old March 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #245
ShowMeKC

Update on East Village Project on the eastern end of our Downtown Loop:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/16963911.htm
Some exerpts:
Quote:
East Village, proposed in September 2005, would transform a nine-block area on the east side of downtown into 600 to 800 loft and condo units, several office buildings, 80,000 square feet of retail and a possible 200-room hotel.
Quote:
After a year of tough negotiations, the city reached a deal with J.E. Dunn to build its 185,000-square-foot headquarters and a 780-space garage at 10th and Locust streets. J.E. Dunn officials now say they are eager for the city and East Village LLC, the development entity formed by Sherman and Swope, to move forward.
Quote:
The city has purchased and plans to demolish the Cherry Street Inn, a run-down hotel at 10th and Cherry streets. Sherman Associates wants to build its first residences there. It would be a five-story, 100-unit building to be called the 10th Street Lofts.
Quote:
Ellis said the commercial part of the project, now being called East Village Corporate Park, was being refined but in general comprises two parts: mixed-use office, retail and hotel and a 500,000- to 700,000-square-foot federal office building being considered by the General Services Administration.

The federal office site would be between Charlotte and Cherry streets from 11th to 12th streets, near the Bolling Federal Building at 601 E. 12th St. The current plan calls for closing Holmes Street where it passes through the site. The development would include a garage with up to 3,000 parking spaces.

The GSA wants to consolidate up to 2,000 area federal workers, but it is awaiting permission from Washington to proceed.

It's great to see they are taking more of a step towards traditional urbanism rather than the approach they were starting to take.
Old March 27th, 2007, 07:07 PM   #246
kcmetro
BANNED

Old March 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #247
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moochie View Post
Cool little stadium.. Is KC angling for an NBA expansion team?
NBA relocation or NHL relocation/expansion. The KC Brigade AFL team will most likely use the Sprint Center next year, especially since there won't be an NBA or NHL team here by then.
Old March 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #248
CorrND
Moderator Chris

Likes (Received): 463

Quote:
It's too bad Arena football doesn't have more of a following. It sure is fun to watch. Indy lost the Firebirds a year or two ago, but not many seemed to notice.
Count me among those who didn't notice -- I had no idea we lost the Firebirds! Seems like most AFL franchises are in cities without NFL teams or in huge cities that can support both leagues. Indy, along with KC, seems like an anomaly, a small city trying to support both. I wonder if that was the death of the Indy franchise.

With ESPN buying a stake in the AFL, showing a game a week on ESPN2 and all of the playoffs on ESPN this summer, this league is set to pop. Kansas City is lucky to have a franchise. Enjoy it!
CorrND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:10 AM   #249
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
And look! we've hijacked the KC thread!
It's about ******* time!!! It gets a little slow in here since I'm about the only one from KC who posts on a weekly basis.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #250
kcmetro
BANNED

Photo update for Kansas City projects, courtesy of Grid.

Old April 17th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #251
ShowMeKC

This project isn't new, but this is some recent news regarding it:

Several months ago we were told that Cordish was looking to add a luxury hotel to their proposed 22 floor condo tower in the Power and Light District. Today the Star ran an article stating that the funding is going through City Hall and is being looked into by Cordish.

They also announced the tower would be 35 floors and 420ft tall.
The tower would be home to 350 residential units, and about 200 luxury hotel rooms.

The project would cost about $180 million, and would use $35 million in TIF funding, and construction should start this fall, completing in 2009.

This project will be subject to review by the city's next mayor, who has promised to slow the city's public funding of private projects, and will instead start reviews of projects to see if they qualify for public funding.

Here are some older renderings of the tower before the luxury hotel was added on top:

The location of this tower will be in the lower right corner (southeast) side of the gigantic hole in this aerial:
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #252
kcmetro
BANNED

35 story hotel-condo tower planned for downtown

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/73242.html
Old April 17th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #253
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

The Sprint Center looks almost finished!!

That spot of vacant land NE of the downtown on the river would be the PERFECT place for a new football or baseball stadium. KC should do more to embrace its waterfront. The Missouri River is such an asset to the city.

And is that spot of land due south from the convention center the location of the PAC?
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #254
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
The Sprint Center looks almost finished!!

That spot of vacant land NE of the downtown on the river would be the PERFECT place for a new football or baseball stadium. KC should do more to embrace its waterfront. The Missouri River is such an asset to the city.

And is that spot of land due south from the convention center the location of the PAC?
Yes, KC should be building a downtown baseball stadium right now, but unfortunately the Jackson Co. residents were dooped into believing the Royals would leave town if they didn't vote to renovate the stadium. Plus, the owner of the Royals, David Glass (Wal-Mart guy), doesn't want to put any of his own money towards the Royals.... he just wants to make a buck off of them. Quite sad.

And yes, that land south of Bartle Hall is where the new PAC will be. I cannot wait for that to open!
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #255
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmetro View Post
35 story hotel-condo tower planned for downtown

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/73242.html

Hey kcmetro, long time no post for me!

Is this for sure gonna happen?? It would be SO cool for the skyline if it did! Or is Funkhouser gonna be a douchebag about TIFs??

BTW, cannot wait to see the Sprint Center in person. I'm in NYC right now so it might take me awhile to get back. How's the P&L coming along? (aside from the pics above)

I can't wait to see the PAC rise from the ground too. KC is doing some great great shit.

www.urbanstl.com
Absolut355 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #256
Jack_White455

The condo tower looks like something off of Sim City 4, but still awesome looking. I read a little bit of the article about it in the Kansas City Star yesterday. It seems like a cool project.

I may be going up to KC this weekend to mess around a little. I was wandering if the Kansas City International Airport has some sort of observation area to watch the airplanes take off and land. Does anyone know?
Jack_White455 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #257
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_White455 View Post
The condo tower looks like something off of Sim City 4, but still awesome looking. I read a little bit of the article about it in the Kansas City Star yesterday. It seems like a cool project.

I may be going up to KC this weekend to mess around a little. I was wandering if the Kansas City International Airport has some sort of observation area to watch the airplanes take off and land. Does anyone know?
I'm not too sure of that. You can always walk in and look through the glass that separates the terminal from the gates. It's fairly easy to see planes through there, but maybe you're looking for an observation area outside? You might try their website or try contacting them.

http://www.flykci.com/
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #258
Jack_White455

Thanks for the info. I was just wandering because down here at the airport there is a little spot where you can pull over and watch the planes.
Jack_White455 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #259
kcmetro
BANNED

Old May 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #260
kcmetro
BANNED

Here are some interior renderings of the new PAC.