daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2006, 09:10 PM   #41
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortyshanks View Post
I've noticed that you and others in the midwest forum have a warped tendency to disrupt any thread about Kansas City, why is that.
Must be an in-state rivalry thing. I can't imagine he'd be jealous of KC, seeing as STL is bigger and has a better baseball team. The thing is though is that the NY Times article could just as easily have been written about KC. In fact, it's a wonder it wasn't since KC's project is bigger and already under way. But I don't have anything against STL. It's a nice city and its downtown will be really cool in a few years once Ballpark Village is complete.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #42
Urban Elitist
STL born and raised

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortyshanks View Post
I've noticed that you and others in the midwest forum have a warped tendency to disrupt any thread about Kansas City, why is that.
An understandable question seeing as you're relatively new. Maybe in my case 10% of the reason is an in-state rivalry thing. But the other 90% is due to past KC posters (not kcmetro) who completely disrupted any thread about any city. Go digging around in some of the older threads and you will see. One guy in particular kept makeing new screennames everytime he was banned and continued to cause mayhem. It was crazy and that's why you've noticed a slightly bitter and suspicious attitude towards KC posters.
Urban Elitist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #43
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Elitist View Post
An understandable question seeing as you're relatively new. Maybe in my case 10% of the reason is an in-state rivalry thing. But the other 90% is due to past KC posters (not kcmetro) who completely disrupted any thread about any city. Go digging around in some of the older threads and you will see. One guy in particular kept makeing new screennames everytime he was banned and continued to cause mayhem. It was crazy and that's why you've noticed a slightly bitter and suspicious attitude towards KC posters.
***ATTENTION KCMETRO****

I hope you know that I, and obviously Urban Elitist, and hopefully most other people on this site know you are not some other KC forumer coming from out of the blue to disturb shit on this site...every single post I've seen from you contributes something valuable to the topic, and for that I want to personally thank you...As you, and everyone for the matter, have seen some KC posters can be a bit asinine (lets see, shall we try to name them all if possible? Raytownthug and LJK### come to mind immediately..don't think its possible!! LOL)

Hopefully those fools won't come back, but I wish that some of the other sane KC posters would come back. Might happen, might not. We shall see.

BTW, fantastic progress on the Sprint Arena. Did I hear that some Canadian businessmen bought the Pittsburgh Penguins, who possibly could have been moving to the new arena, and promised to keep them in PIT? Any news on any other tenants? (other NHL prospects, NBA, etc.) Keep the updates coming!

www.urbanstl.com
Absolut355 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #44
AtlantaGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmetro View Post
Must be an in-state rivalry thing. I can't imagine he'd be jealous of KC, seeing as STL is bigger and has a better baseball team. The thing is though is that the NY Times article could just as easily have been written about KC. In fact, it's a wonder it wasn't since KC's project is bigger and already under way. But I don't have anything against STL. It's a nice city and its downtown will be really cool in a few years once Ballpark Village is complete.
Don't the developers at ballpark village in STL want more public money for their project and will they get what they want?
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

The STL project, as shown to us on this forum, is not a done deal for STL. I agree, KC could have easily had this article written about them because KC is already getting what St. Louis is waiting for.
AtlantaGA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:07 AM   #45
Urban Elitist
STL born and raised

^Not accurate. The Cardinals want to increase thier TIF funding because the size of the project has grown tenfold since that amount was agreed upon. STLtoday is not a reliable source concerning the Staduim situation.

The size of the agreed upon project was $60 Million when the original TIF was negotiaed, Now that amount has grown to $600million dollars so the Cardinals asked for a lager taxbreak to pay for the public infrastructure (Strees, sidewalks, sewers, etc). Right now it's a big hole so LOTS of infrastructure must be put into place. Almost all but the most radicals support the increased TIF(basically just a tax break on GENERATED Ballpark Village revenues, the Cardinals asked for NO up front taxpayer money).

It is basically a done deal and the final updated designs on the even larger project are set to be released any time from now. For more info on this, Visit http://www.urbanstl.com, not the post-disgrace website.
Urban Elitist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #46
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGA View Post
The STL project, as shown to us on this forum, is not a done deal for STL. I agree, KC could have easily had this article written about them because KC is already getting what St. Louis is waiting for.
Its kind of a damned if you don't, and damned if you STILL don't.

Like Bill DeWitt says, "We can do something without help - and we can satisfy our development commitments without any help...The question is what are you going to get with that?"

Originally it was supposed to be a $60 million project for 2 blocks guaranteed by 2009 and more by 2011. But now, with public assistance, we could get a $650 million investment with more public money (almost 10x the original price.) Do we want some piddley development on one of the most prime piece of real estate in downtown? Or do the people of STL want to spend more tax and public money on something spectacular? Damned if we don't (original $60 million) and damned if we DON'T support the $650 million (not nearly as nice as what $60 mil would get.)

The city of STL should demand the most that it can get out of those precious acres of land. Without more public money, it will get crap. With the $60 million, it will probably get more freaking 4 story parking garages with maybe 2 or 3 more small midrises. Booo.

www.urbanstl.com
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:16 AM   #47
Absolut355
I Heart Height

^ Beat me to it UE

www.urbanstl.com
Old October 12th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #48
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut355 View Post
***ATTENTION KCMETRO****

I hope you know that I, and obviously Urban Elitist, and hopefully most other people on this site know you are not some other KC forumer coming from out of the blue to disturb shit on this site...every single post I've seen from you contributes something valuable to the topic, and for that I want to personally thank you...As you, and everyone for the matter, have seen some KC posters can be a bit asinine (lets see, shall we try to name them all if possible? Raytownthug and LJK### come to mind immediately..don't think its possible!! LOL)

Hopefully those fools won't come back, but I wish that some of the other sane KC posters would come back. Might happen, might not. We shall see.

BTW, fantastic progress on the Sprint Arena. Did I hear that some Canadian businessmen bought the Pittsburgh Penguins, who possibly could have been moving to the new arena, and promised to keep them in PIT? Any news on any other tenants? (other NHL prospects, NBA, etc.) Keep the updates coming!

Don't worry, I completely understand about some of the KC forumers. Whoever those guys were, hopefully they'll stay away. As for some of the cooler people from KC, I think they're content to post on kcskyscrapers for now. Either they got burnt out on having to deal with immature KC posters here, or they have no interest in other cities or in spreading news about KC to other people around the country.

As far as the NHL/NBA goes, I don't think any team will be in the arena when it opens next year. That would be a long shot. I think the guy that bought the Penguins would either keep them in Pitt or move them to Hamilton, Ontario, his hometown. I think Ontario would be a better fit than KC too, because hockey is so much bigger up there. As much as I'd like a pro team in the Sprint Center, I really don't see hockey doing too well in KC. For some reason we have a homegrown organization called NHL21 or something like that which is trying tirelessly to get an NHL team in KC, but to me that's like trying to lure a rugby team to KC. The NBA would do much better since KC is more of a bball town. Very few high schools in the KC region have hockey, so it's not exactly a sport many people know much about.

The NBA teams that would most likely end up in KC are the Hornets (if N.O. doesn't work out/recover fully in the next couple years) or the Kings (if Sac doesn't help build a new arena), but those are both longshots too. If we have to wait 5 years to get an NBA team, it's not necessarily bad, because the arena will still be a very attractive place due to its state of the art design and great location downtown. If we never get a pro team in the arena, no big deal in my opinion. Kemper Arena still had to be replaced anyways no matter how you slice it, so we'll still secure the Big 12 bball tourney every other year, if not every year. Plus we'll get NCAA tourney games every couple years. It will also draw more concerts and will serve as the home of the KC Brigade arena football team. Many people in KC will bitch and moan if we don't get a pro team since our mayor and AEG promised us one, but they can't overlook all the positives that the arena will bring even without a pro franchise.

On a side note, I thought KC would've made a better NBA town than OKC due to the lack of an NBA team in our region, but oh well. OKC is so close to Dallas that it seems they would've been content being Mavs fans, but I guess they were hungry for pro sports of their own there too. We have the Chiefs and Royals, two franchises who are LOVED by Kansas Citians. Plus we have the Brigade and the Wizards, who recently announced plans to build a new stadium in Overland Park, KS which will sit next to about 25 soccer fields for youth soccer. So if we don't get NHL or NBA, it's no big deal. We're proud of the teams that we do have.
Old October 12th, 2006, 08:18 AM   #49
Absolut355
I Heart Height

OK I'm gonna try and disect and give my input on as much of this as I can...total opinion keep in mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmetro View Post
As for some of the cooler people from KC, I think they're content to post on kcskyscrapers for now. Either they got burnt out on having to deal with immature KC posters here, or they have no interest in other cities or in spreading news about KC to other people around the country.
Either way, unfortunate!

Quote:
As much as I'd like a pro team in the Sprint Center, I really don't see hockey doing too well in KC. The NBA would do much better since KC is more of a bball town. Very few high schools in the KC region have hockey, so it's not exactly a sport many people know much about.
You do have to go kinda far to find the closest NBA team, but I'm more concerned with your first sentence, addressed below.

Quote:
If we have to wait 5 years to get an NBA team, it's not necessarily bad, because the arena will still be a very attractive place due to its state of the art design and great location downtown. If we never get a pro team in the arena, no big deal in my opinion. Kemper Arena still had to be replaced anyways no matter how you slice it, so we'll still secure the Big 12 bball tourney every other year, if not every year. Plus we'll get NCAA tourney games every couple years. It will also draw more concerts and will serve as the home of the KC Brigade arena football team. Many people in KC will bitch and moan if we don't get a pro team since our mayor and AEG promised us one, but they can't overlook all the positives that the arena will bring even without a pro franchise.
OK. This may be completely bias, but if STL would've built Busch Stadium while the Cardinals were building another stadium in Illinois, that would piss me off. Granted, an enclosed stadium is different than an open one (esp. one for baseball, but just an example) but an empty stadium sitting downtown seems kind of superfluous to me. GRANTED, you've stated other events that could happen but its not a continuous stream of almost gauranteed revenue, tax or otherwise, for the arena or the city. Every other year for Big 12, every couple years for NCAA, but these are almost all weekend events - the Final Four in STL last year was wonderful, but it was three days max. Concerts, at least those big enough, will always be beneficial, but those last one night in a venue like that. As far as people bitching and moaning, maybe I've been reading kcskyscrapers.com for too long

BTW, I'm not sure, but what's going in Kemper's current place? Hopefully not a parking lot...

Quote:
We have the Chiefs and Royals, two franchises who are LOVED by Kansas Citians.
Chiefs, most definitely..Royals, when they are decent, a little more so. I still wish there was DT baseball in KC - would've been awesome! Hopefully the new renovations make it look better, not that Kauffman needs anything to make it look better - it freaking rocks!! Just wish it was DT so more things were around it.

Quote:
Plus we have the Brigade and the Wizards, who recently announced plans to build a new stadium in Overland Park, KS which will sit next to about 25 soccer fields for youth soccer.
I HATE OP with a passion...those superficial *******s deserve NONE of that!! I had no idea. Why, so they don't have to drive 20 miles to get to a REAL downtown where everything doesn't look the same?? That makes me so angry!! STUPID OP!!

Quote:
So if we don't get NHL or NBA, it's no big deal. We're proud of the teams that we do have.
True, but I genuinely hope it doesn't come back to bite KC in the ass. That will make me sad.

OK I'm done

www.urbanstl.com
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #50
kcmetro
BANNED

[QUOTE=Absolut355;10092688]
Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure, but what's going in Kemper's current place? Hopefully not a parking lot...
Not sure if they will keep it up or tear it down. Either way though, it was necessary to build a new arena because the Big 12 tourney and any other tourney wasn't coming back to Kemper Arena. The Sprint Center was a chance the city HAD to take right now if it wanted to secure tournaments and a pro team. I really thought our chances at getting an NHL or NBA team were good when this arena was proposed, and it was absolutely necessary to have this arena if we want any chance at that.

Quote:
Chiefs, most definitely..Royals, when they are decent, a little more so. I still wish there was DT baseball in KC - would've been awesome! Hopefully the new renovations make it look better, not that Kauffman needs anything to make it look better - it freaking rocks!! Just wish it was DT so more things were around it.
I wish there was a DT stadium too! There's no reason why it couldn't have been done. There's tons of empty space down there between the Loop and Crown Center, or they could've even put it over near the 18th and Vine district. To me, that would've been the perfect spot.....help the Jazz District while providing a great view of DT. Win win situation. Unfortunately our owner David Glass and his Wal-Mart ass were too greedy to help pay for it. And if the voters of Jackson Co. didn't approve the renovations, both franchises were free to move. So we as the public kinda took the bait on this one. We didn't want to risk them leaving KC. Having said this, the renovations WILL be very nice, from what I've seen. And Kauffman is supposed to host the All-Star game once it's finished. My perfect plan would've been to have a new football stadium in KS near the Speedway or keep Arrowhead where it's at, and then have a new baseball stadium downtown somewhere.

Quote:
I HATE OP with a passion...those superficial *******s deserve NONE of that!! I had no idea. Why, so they don't have to drive 20 miles to get to a REAL downtown where everything doesn't look the same?? That makes me so angry!! STUPID OP!!
I hate OP too, but putting a soccer stadium there makes perfect sense. It'll be right next to all the kids that play soccer. The sad thing is that their parents would happily drive their kids to watch games in South OP than near DT KCMO. And to me, a soccer stadium in DT area would've been a little bit too big for the kind of crowd that it draws. Baseball is much more accepted as a sport by people, so it would draw a wide range of people. Soccer would basically be drawing in those rich ****s from OP and other suburbs, and the locals in DT, Crossroads, and Midtown wouldn't be likely candidates to attend a soccer game. So IMO the Wizards will do fine out there in OP.
Old October 16th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #51
kcmetro
BANNED

edit: deleted pic

Last edited by kcmetro; February 7th, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old October 18th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #52
kcmetro
BANNED

I've been informed that they're now putting on the glass on the west side of the arena. Hopefully I or another KC forumer will get a pic up as soon as possible.
Old October 18th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #53
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Likes (Received): 2

Grid got a nice aerial of the arena

[img]http://photos.***************/kcphotos/aerialsdowntown/aerial_5d0906_6940.jpg[/img]
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:31 AM   #54
kcmetro
BANNED

edit: deleted pic

Old October 19th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #55
kcmetro
BANNED

edit: deleted pics

Old October 20th, 2006, 10:43 AM   #56
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Yeah I didn't realize how close the arena is to the street! One thing that I cannot get over is how small it seems...I've seen it under construction about 2 weeks ago, but these pictures do the Sprint Arena much more justice.

I still wish KC could've gotten something bigger, BUT any sports arena DT is still good news. If only the damn Royals would've done something like this!! (kcmetro, you know whats up )

www.urbanstl.com
Old October 20th, 2006, 06:57 PM   #57
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolut355 View Post
Yeah I didn't realize how close the arena is to the street! One thing that I cannot get over is how small it seems...I've seen it under construction about 2 weeks ago, but these pictures do the Sprint Arena much more justice.

I still wish KC could've gotten something bigger, BUT any sports arena DT is still good news. If only the damn Royals would've done something like this!! (kcmetro, you know whats up )
I wish it was bigger too. When the project was first announced, I was expecting an arena with capacity of 22,000 to 25,000. That would've been a good number since it would've increased our chances for regionals for the NCAA tournament. Now we're just getting another Kemper as far as capacity goes, except it will be much nicer aesthetically.
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:06 AM   #58
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Likes (Received): 2

Aesthetically, it is one of the nicest arenas in the nation (at least looking at the rendering). Size is irrelevant at this point, I would much rather it be the nicest arena than the largest.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM   #59
Absolut355
I Heart Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
Aesthetically, it is one of the nicest arenas in the nation (at least looking at the rendering). Size is irrelevant at this point, I would much rather it be the nicest arena than the largest.
Kansan I totally respect your ideas and opinions but would you care to elaborate on this? Wouldn't you much rather have a bigger arena than a "nice" one? I do love the Sprint Arena with all its glass. But are aesthetics everything? I guess it just boils down to would you rather have "bigger" than a design less that what the current Sprint Arena is turning out to be. I think the economics of the region with something like this do make a difference, but its just my opinion among other factors.

www.urbanstl.com
Old October 23rd, 2006, 06:34 PM   #60
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Kansas City Development News 1

I just realized that Kansas City doesn't have its own development news thread. This thread will be the new home for all development in Kansas City.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote