daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #61
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Likes (Received): 2

Can you merge the other threads with this one?

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:28 AM   #62
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. When threads are merged, the posts are placed in chronological order, meaning that if I merged a few different threads into this one, everything would be mixed up. I think the best option would be to rename the KC Power and Light District thread Kansas Development Thread, since it's the longest of the development-related threads out there. Then, maybe you guys could repost some of the other information in this thread, such as the info on KC's East Village.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #63
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
^Unfortunately, that wouldn't work. When threads are merged, the posts are placed in chronological order, meaning that if I merged a few different threads into this one, everything would be mixed up. I think the best option would be to rename the KC Power and Light District thread Kansas Development Thread, since it's the longest of the development-related threads out there. Then, maybe you guys could repost some of the other information in this thread, such as the info on KC's East Village.
Sounds good to me. Go ahead and rename it to Kansas City Development Thread.
kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #64
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Alright, I merged the KC Power and Light thread into this one, and it looks like it worked.
Old October 24th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #65
TheKansan
The People's Champion

There is a 17 story condo tower planned for the Crossroads area, which is immediately south of the downtown loop, but north of Crown Center. This is the first new construction condo tower for this neighborhood. Actually it is one of the few new condo towers built outside of the plaza.

Old October 24th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #66
kcmetro
BANNED

Too bad we can't afford to live there, huh Kansan? LOL. Maybe one day.
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #67
Mortyshanks
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I have been following this project closely because of the controversy surrounding the juxtaposition to the new Performing Arts Center. The PAC chairperson and Moshie Safdie appeared before the City Council and tried to block this project, claiming that it would obstruct the new PAC view.

The views from this location are very breathtaking, nearly San Francisco-like due to KC's beautiful topography and the way downtown is laid-out. Here is the view due south toward Liberty Memorial/Union Station.

View to the southwest (Crown Center & Crossroads).

The website shows a view to the north but I'm not posting it because it's innaccurate. The new PAC will be immediately north of the project between downtown and the tower and I think the developers didn't dare show the PAC in thier rendering! Something about "let sleeping dogs lie".
Mortyshanks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:52 AM   #68
kcmetro
BANNED

I think downtown views will continue to become more of an issue if more high-rise condos are built in the Crossroads area. We've for so long been able to have a GREAT view of DT from Liberty Memorial, so I suspect there would be some kind of height limit for buildings in the XRoads, so as to not disrupt the DT view. Do you know if such a height limit exists already?
Old October 24th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #69
kcmetro
BANNED

edit: deleted pic

Last edited by kcmetro; February 7th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #70
TheKansan
The People's Champion

I have always believed that no one can own a view. It is unfortunate that a different site could not be picked for this project.
Old October 26th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #71
TheKansan
The People's Champion

I am reposting the info about the East Village here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKansan View Post
This project is an effort to revitalize the eastern portion of the KC downtown loop into a Quality Hill type neighborhood. Currently the east loop is plagued by parking lots and little else except government buildings. JE Dunn, who happens to be the lead developers of the project, plans on building a new HQ there as well.

Old October 26th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #72
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

The renderings of that 17-story condo are fan-freaking-tastic. Lookin good KC, lookin good.
Old October 28th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #73
i_am_hydrogen
muted

I posted this article in the US and Urban Issues section. It's not really development-related, but I figure you KC'ers might want to read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
20 of 37 urban areas fail in evacuation readiness
By SPENCER S. HSU

The Washington Post

WASHINGTON - Worried about evacuating your city in an emergency?

Move to Kansas City.

Making a familiar case for more roads and using the newer argument of homeland security, a trade association for highway builders and the automotive industry recently gave most of the nation's biggest metropolitan areas failing grades for how well they would evacuate their populations in a disaster.

Twenty of 37 urban areas received an F from the American Highways Users Alliance. The list included usual suspects such as New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia and Washington.

Only Kansas City got an A.

Dallas-Fort Worth ranked 11th with a score of 70.5.

The Bush administration and Congress have emphasized mass-evacuation planning since Hurricane Katrina and the destruction of much of New Orleans. The Homeland Security Department this summer found such plans inadequate in about 90 percent of the nation's top 75 cities and "an area of profound concern." Pushed by Congress, the department will award $1.3 billion in homeland security grants next year, partly on the basis of plan improvement.

The alliance's grades were based on three factors: each city's internal congestion, percentage of automobile ownership and percentage of vehicles that local highways could move in 12 hours.

IN THE KNOW

Evacuation readiness

A new study assigned evacuation-capacity scores to major urban areas based on the capacity of roadways leading out of the city, internal traffic flow, number of residents with cars and other factors.

GRADE: A
1 Kansas City 90.0

GRADE: B
2 Columbus 82.3
3 Memphis 80.5
4 Pittsburgh 80.4

GRADE: C
5 Indianapolis 79.2
6 Cincinnati 79.0
7 Cleveland 74.5
8 Orlando 74.1
9 San Antonio 73.5
10 St. Louis 70.6
11 Dallas-Fort Worth 70.5

GRADE: D
12 New Orleans 67.3
13 Austin 66.2
14 Providence 65.9
15 Milwaukee 65.2
16 Baltimore 62.6
17 Sacramento 60.3

GRADE: F
18 Denver 59.8
19 Tampa-St. Petersburg 58.9
20 Virginia Beach 57.4
21 Houston 54.8
22 Boston 49.4
23 Philadelphia 49.4
24 Atlanta 48.1
25 Portland 47.7
26 Minneapolis-St. Paul 47.5
27 Las Vegas 47.4
28 Detroit 47.3
29 Washington 44.9
30 Phoenix 43.6
31 Seattle 39.9
32 San Diego 37.8
33 San Francisco-San Jose 37.2
34 Miami 36.9
35 New York 31.5
36 Chicago 28.0
37 Los Angeles 25.6

Source: American Highway Users Alliance
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:01 AM   #74
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Even though the building is only going to be 13 floors and it isn't even half complete yet, I can clearly see the new Federal Reserve Bank building in the skyline from here in KCK. It really helps that it is on the top of a hill.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:18 AM   #75
Mortyshanks
BANNED

Sprint Center Update: glass panel installation video, pretty cool.

http://interface.audiovideoweb.com/l...R.wmv/play.asx
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:24 PM   #76
kcmetro
BANNED

edit: deleted pic

Last edited by kcmetro; February 7th, 2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:47 AM   #77
Mortyshanks
BANNED

Holy crap the Trader's Bank building on Grand (exteme left) looks like it's getting a "blue" facelift. Is that just the shadow reflection????
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:45 PM   #78
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortyshanks View Post
Holy crap the Trader's Bank building on Grand (exteme left) looks like it's getting a "blue" facelift. Is that just the shadow reflection????
I took this pic around 4:30pm so I'm guessing it was a shadow.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:36 PM   #79
TheKansan
The People's Champion

Did anyone else here about the new Hybrid buses that the KCATA is starting to use? I hear they are very quiet. KC is one of the first cities in the country to use them.
Old November 4th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #80
TheKansan
The People's Champion

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...l?surround=lfn

N.J. developer plans Armour condos

The growing condominiumization of Kansas City's urban core helped persuade a New Jersey-based apartment redeveloper to buy into Armour Boulevard in Midtown.

Eli Ungar, a partner with Antheus Capital LLC of Englewood, N.J., said he wants to restore once-luxurious buildings from the early 20th century, such as the Bellerive at 214 Armour Blvd. Ungar said the properties' location between Downtown and the Country Club Plaza, where mounting hundreds of apartments have been turned into condos, makes Midtown a more viable alternative.

Ungar, who has been scouting Kansas City for investments since 1994, said Antheus' top challenge will be overcoming Armour Boulevard's crime-ridden stigma.

The neighborhood's proximity to thousands of jobs "has all the ingredients necessary to be an attractive rental location, but for the paucity of well-maintained units," Ungar said.

Antheus paid $10.4 million, about $24,500 a unit, for the Bellerive and three other historic apartment buildings: Yankee Hill at 3430 Gillham Road, Clyde Manor at 350 E. Armour Blvd. and Park Central at 300 E. Armour Blvd. The company also bought an unnamed, 24-unit apartment building at 3411 Gillham Road in July for $600,000, $25,000 a unit, according to Jackson County records.

The Bellerive is the only building with tenants.

Plans call for the buildings to contain about 410 units after their renovation, whose cost could top $20 million. Some existing apartments, including former hotel rooms in the Park Central as small as 200 square feet, would be combined and expanded.

To proceed, Ungar said, the project will need tax breaks. Antheus wants a full, 25-year property tax abatement on improvements. The Planned Industrial Expansion Authority will consider the request on Dec. 1.

The PIEA's standard abatement eliminates taxes for 10 years and halves them for 15 more years. The authority twice has granted the terms sought by Antheus -- on The View condominiums, 600 E. Admiral Blvd., and a River Market office building housing HOK Sport Venue Event at 300 Wyandotte St.

Antheus also bought two other Admiral Boulevard apartment buildings in July. The company paid $2.2 million for an occupied building at 640 E. Armour Blvd. and $1.6 million for an empty building at 701 E. Admiral Blvd.

Plans for those buildings are being drawn, Ungar said.