daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation > Airports

Airports discussions about existing airports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #41
Manazir

Likes (Received): 514

I thought Afriqiyah, and Turkish Airlines stopped their plans to operate to DAC?

btw bro, lil correction up there:

Druk Air doesnt have a B757, they opearte an Airbus 319/320 to DAC.
Emirates, u wrote 772ER, 773LR hahaha .....its actually, 772 (B777-200) and 77W (B777-300ER)

My recently started Travel Blog
Manazir no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #42
Manazir

Wider skies for private airlines

The government will reallocate the frequency of local carriers' flights from Dhaka to London to allow private airlines a wider access to global aviation.

The move comes at a time when the capacity of local private carriers to utilise opportunities is being questioned.

As part of the move, GMG Airlines and United Airways will be able to fly twice a week on the Dhaka-London route where the carriers have no flights now. Biman Bangladesh Airlines will operate six flights instead of five, officials said.

The government has also planned to seek a revision of the air service agreement with Saudi Arabia to increase frequency from the existing 14 to 24 a week.

“We will request the Saudi Arabian authorities to raise the number of flights to give more options to local airlines to fly to the Middle East," Hedayetullah Al Mamoon, secretary of the civil aviation and tourism ministry, told The Daily Star.

“We are also making a policy on the distribution of flight frequency to local airlines to bring transparency in the allocation process."

Analysts are expressing doubts over the move to make room for four local private carriers -- three of which came in the last two years -- and their ability to tap the opportunities.

Most of these carriers suffer capacity constraints, such as in funds and aircraft.

Two carriers -- Best Air and Aviana Airways -- are grounded. Best Air was awarded permission to fly abroad last year. The carriers are facing regulatory restrictions to fly on safety issues. Troubled by a financial crisis, Best Air had also been forced to suspend its flights early this year.

The remaining two private carriers -- GMG Airlines and United Airways -- are still in operation.

Best Air and United Airways launched international flights in early 2008. Best Air had been aggressive in opening new routes. The airline began its first international flight to Bangkok in mid-2008 with its only leased Boeing-737-200. It had later opened flights to several new destinations, such as Bangkok, Colombo, Male, Dubai, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, by discontinuing the previous ones.

For the country's oldest private carrier GMG Airlines, which began international flights in September 2004, recent statistics are not heartening, analysts said. Last year, flight suspension plagued the carrier amid aircraft and fund shortages -- a couple of months after it began operations on the Dhaka- Dubai route.

Local airliners linked much of their inabilities to last year's global oil price hike, which also hurt the global aviation industry by dampening traffic flow.

Analysts however blamed their failures on poor planning and lack of capacity.

Earlier on several occasions, the government redistributed frequency and revised air-service agreements with different countries several times to allow these private airlines to operate in the global aviation market.

Stakeholders however said much of the attempt at frequency reallocation was due to state-run Biman's failure to utilise all the frequency because of its weak and decades-old fleet and pilferage.

The analysts said a revision in air service agreements not only opened up opportunities for more local carriers to fly abroad but also enabled a greater number of foreign carriers to enter Dhaka, increasing the pressure of competition on the existing ones.

Most of the foreign carriers now have a growing market share, as local carriers are incapable to meet demand, they added.

Analysts said the government should consider the capacity of the local carriers prior to allocating flying rights in their favour. They also said the government should frame an aviation policy instead of a frequency distribution policy.

“I don't see any rationale for framing a frequency distribution policy. The government should prepare an aviation policy to direct the aviation industry,” said Kazi Wahidul Alam, editor of aviation fortnightly The Bangladesh Monitor.

Alam also expressed doubts over the private carriers' capacity to exploit the opportunities offered by the government. “I expect our local private carriers to develop. But my concern is whether will they be able to exploit the opportunities."

“The problem is, we mostly have one-way traffic, as many travellers are migrant workers,” he said. “If local carriers could offer more onward connections, travellers may be benefited."

"Local carrier will be able to survive global competition with a 'strong financial base'," Alam said. He suggested the government allow them to fly on a trial basis. "The government should take a decision, based on their performance."

Imran Asif, an aviation consultant, echoed Alam. “The government should first see whether the airline has the capacity to operate flights, before allocating frequency. The government could do it by involving stakeholders, such as bankers,” he said.

“Otherwise, if a carrier fails to continue flights, other airlines will be affected, as it creates a bad reputation,” he said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=100585

Old August 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #43
Manazir

Minister urges airlines to offer low-cost travels

Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister GM Quader has called upon airline operators to offer low-cost travels to both inbound and outbound travellers.

“I will request carriers to provide better services not only by maintaining schedule but also offering cheaper travel cost, which is a big factor for many travellers,” said the minister at an award giving ceremony on Friday.

The Bangladesh Monitor, an aviation and tourism fortnightly, in association with Galileo, a provider of electronic global distribution services for the travel industry, organised the function to present the award titled “Monitor-Galileo Airline of the Year 2008" at The Westin Dhaka hotel.

Airline executives, travel agents and bureaucrats were present.

Dubai-based Emirates, one of the world's biggest carriers, which offers Dhaka-Dubai and onward flights to travellers, won the Best Airline of the Year 2008 award in Bangladesh by beating two other nominees --Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways.

The organisers said the winners were selected on the basis of frequent flyers' opinion poll.

Emirates also won Best In-flight Entertainment award and Best Long Haul Airline award of the year.

It was the second consecutive year the carrier was recognised as the best airline in Bangladesh where more than 20 domestic and foreign carriers are offering flights to travellers, bulk of whom are migrant workers.

Emirates' Area Manager (Bangladesh) Hanif Zakaria received the award.

The organisers gave away a total of 12 awards under various categories with foreign carriers winning in all the segments except the domestic airline award.

GMG Airlines, the oldest domestic private carrier, got the Best Domestic Airline of the Year award by beating state-run Biman Bangladesh Airlines and non-resident Bangladeshi venture United Airways in the category.

“By declaring the winners, we are creating a sense of competition among the airlines,” said GM Quader.

Singapore Airlines won the Best Business Class Award -2008 while Etihad Airways got the Best Economy Class Award.

But the Best Inflight Meal Business Class Award 2008 went to Qatar Airways. For economy class, Malaysia Airlines won Best Inflight Meal Award.

In short-haul airline category, Thai Airways defeated Jet Airways and Singapore Airlines. Thai Airways also won the Most Favourite Frequent Flyer Programme 2008 award.

The organisers also gave away prizes to off-line airlines that provide travel services. Cathay Pacific, one of the biggest global carriers, won the Best Off-line Passenger Airline award, while Saudi Arabian Airlines clinched the Best Cargo Airline of the Year award, organisers said.

The minister said the government would like to see its entity Biman becoming a model and wining awards in such a competition.

“It is our responsibility to make Biman a model and enable it to become the best airline next year,” he said.

Among others, Principal Secretary to Prime Minister Abdul Karim, Civil Aviation and Tourism Ministry Secretary Hedayetullah Al Mamoon, The Bangladesh Monitor Editor Kazi Wahidul Alam and Managing Director of Galileo Bangladesh Anis Ahmed spoke on the occasion.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=100591

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #44
Manazir

What you guys think about the aviation industry in Bangladesh?? Please do share your views!
Also, if any of u visited Bangladesh, please do share if any problems u faced at the airport and also, ways to improve things better.

Thankx and also, refer to post # 17 if u wanna knw more

Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM   #45
mrmocha413
Northeast US...bliss!

Likes (Received): 4

I think Bangladesh is on a collision course with its aviation system. I think it goes hand in hand with the South Asian mentality of doing things haphazardly through corruption. I hope something pulls through with the new terminal in the future.
mrmocha413 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #46
Manazir

ayee, so true hehe, our bloody Civil Aviation Authority is completely incompetent and fully corrupt! If you see our aviation threads (links on post # 17), u can see how we critisize those idiots! It needs a better management, then our aviation industry can boom

Old September 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #47
Manazir

ayee, so true hehe, our bloody Civil Aviation Authority is completely incompetent and fully corrupt! If you see our aviation threads (links on post # 17), u can see how we critisize those idiots! It needs a better management, then our aviation industry can boom

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #48
Manazir

Kuwait Airways to start direct flights from Ctg soon
Our Correspondent

CHITTAGONG, Sep 3: Kuwait Airways is going to operate direct flights between Chittagong and Kuwait from October 1, 2009.

The airlines will operate two flights every Thursdays and Saturdays on the route.

Kuwait Airways will be the fourth international airline to operate direct flights from Chittagong to different cities in the Middle East.

While contacted, Manager of Kuwait Airways Chittagong office Paresh Dhar told the FE that they are going to start the flights from Chittagong very shortly

Source: The Financial Express: http://thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2009/09/04/78062.html

Old February 4th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #49
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18223

Bangladesh airline boosts fleet with leased Boeings

DHAKA, Feb 3 (Reuters) - State-owned Biman Bangladesh Airlines received two of five new generation Boeing aircraft expected for its fleet on Wednesday in order to expand operations, officials said.

The Boeing 777-200ER and Boeing 737-800 acquired on lease from EuroAtlantic Airways and GE Capital Aviation Services (GECAS) respectively have raised the Biman fleet strength to 13 aircraft.

The two planes have been commissioned by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina for an interim period.

"Another Boeing 737-800 leased from GECAS and a Boeing 310-300 being leased from ILFC (International Lease Finance Corp) are scheduled to arrive in Dhaka soon while the third Boeing 777-200ER is to arrive in Dhaka early next month," a statement from Biman said.

Details of the lease were not available.

Next year the company will start to receive an additional eight aircraft it bought from Boeing in a $1.27 billion deal in April 2008. Under the deal Boeing will deliver four 777-300ERs between 2011 and 2013 and the rest four 373-800s by 2020.

These aircraft will improve the fleet strength, increase flight frequency and resume operation on some suspended routes including New York, the statement said.

"These will also help expand services in some new destinations including Tokyo and other spots in Australia and Europe," Biman spokesman Shah Waliul Manzoor told Reuters.

In 2006 the loss-making company was forced to halt its flights to New York, Paris, Tokyo, Frankfurt, Brussels, Yangon and Mumbai due to a shortage of funds and aircraft.

Biman became a public limited company in July 2008 and new management was brought in last year.

In the first quarter of 2009-10 (July-October) its profit reached over $5 million.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #50
Halawala
Fairouzy

Likes (Received): 265

I think the 777s should replace the DC-10s one-to-one; while the 738s should be reinstanted to the Gulf. I think the DOH-DAC flight has 2 stops in it with a DC-10!

New routes should NOT be added; the whole point in changing the fleet is to have a reliable aircraft and fix the retarted schedules and delays!
Old February 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #51
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

I have seen DC-10 Biman planes in Heathrow, never been in one though and have to avoid this airline
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #52
Manazir

on saturday, BG is starting 3x week DAC-LHR direct flights and 1x DAC-DXB-LHR with the newly leased B777 aircraft, its a good start I guess

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #53
Manazir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halawala View Post
I think the 777s should replace the DC-10s one-to-one; while the 738s should be reinstanted to the Gulf. I think the DOH-DAC flight has 2 stops in it with a DC-10!

New routes should NOT be added; the whole point in changing the fleet is to have a reliable aircraft and fix the retarted schedules and delays!
I agree on that, they have to resume the suspended routes first, such as Bangkok, Delhi, Mumbai, NewYork, Paris, Frankfurt etc.

BTW, Bangkok, Manchester, New York, and Delhi resumes on march.

Old February 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #54
YU-AMC
Aviation/Travel Nerd

Likes (Received): 1041

I see...
YU-AMC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM   #55
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Viability of Bangladesh Biman
7 October 2010
The Financial Express

Bangladesh, Oct. 7 -- Syed Jamaluddin

Biman is likely to resume its New York flight to meet the government pledge despite fears of losses. Last time Biman counted a loss of Tk 3.5/4.0 million (35/40 lakhs) on each flight between Dhaka and New York. Biman in August 2006 shut its flights to New York along with Brussels, Paris, Frankfurt, Mumbai, Narita and Yangon in the wake of aircraft shortage and a record loss of Tk 4.54 billion (454 crores) in 2005/06 fiscal year. The national flag carrier made profit in 2007/08 after a lapse of four years. Such a performance is very rare in public sector organisations in Bangladesh. The credit goes to the caretaker government for this achievement.

Insiders say the airliner plans to reopen flights on loss-incurring Dhaka-New York route in line with the decision of the Prime Minister who assured expatriate Bangladeshis in New York that Biman's flight would resume in 2011. Biman authorities have informed the government of the risk of losses for reopening the New York flights and urged the government for support either in the form of compensation or fuel subsidy. Biman is now completing various formalities for opening the New York flight. It is not understood how Biman will be viable if decisions are taken to operate in the loss-making sectors.

Aircraft leasing is a fairly common strategy practised by most airlines. It reduces investment significantly. Nearly 40% of all aircraft with the airlines have been acquired on lease. But hardly any airline acquires aircraft on wet lease, simply because they have the capability to provide all the components required for operation like crew, maintenance, network and many other associated services developed through years.

There is a tendency in Biman to get an aircraft on wet lease basis instead of dry lease basis. Payment in wet lease is to be made on hourly basis while in dry lease, on monthly basis. There is a published dry-lease rate for different types of aircraft depending on date of manufacture and configuration, but there is no such reliable information on wet lease. A wet-lease aircraft has to be operated for a minimum guaranteed hours, whereas the use of the dry-leased aircraft is at the operator's discretion. Wet leasing is obviously more expensive.

Acquisition of aircraft on wet lease is done to address short-term capacity crisis. But in our airline, acquisition of aircraft on wet lease has become a regular practice. Support package for wet-lease aircraft always comes at a higher price. It is said that the airline is bleeding because of the wet-leased aircraft. They are becoming increasingly more expensive to operate. Viability of the airline cannot be expected under such circumstances.

Biman is one of the worst performing airlines in the world. Much remains to be done to regain its commercial viability lost due to poor planning, corruption and mismanagement. Biman could not even capitalise on its captive Hajj market. All the airlines flying to and from Dhaka, except our ill-fated national carrier, are doing good business. More airlines are trying to open routes from Bangladesh. This is because more passengers are available.

Rivalry between the minister, parliamentary standing committee, secretary and chairman of the board of directors of Biman has made the situation chaotic. The parliamentary committee has reportedly complained to the Prime Minister against the Minister for Civil Aviation and Tourism. The minister has also sought the intervention of the Prime Minister in his dispute with the members of the standing committee. The chairman of the board of directors has contradicted the minister about corruption in Biman. It is said that the Biman board of directors does not comply with the directives of the ministry. The ministry cannot take action against Biman employees because of legal complexities. It appears that there is no chain of command in the ministry/Biman for smooth running of the organisation. According to the Minister, there is a public demand for opening more domestic routes but Biman does not take interest in these matters.

Biman is losing passengers and going down in respect of management, efficiency and image because of poor delivery of services. It is losing money because of alleged corruption. Biman should not be flying the old aircrafts which are not viable. These aircrafts should have been phased out long ago but this was not done for lack of vision. Procurement of new aircraft is a complex matter in Biman.

Biman employees created problems for higher pay and other benefits. But Biman has not been providing good services. Employees have a responsibility to cater to the needs of the passengers. Biman is a highly overstaffed organisation without any regard for human resources development. Pay hike or benefit of any kind has to be commensurate with employees' performance.

There should be no dearth of passengers for Biman. Workers flying to the Middle East, Singapore and Malaysia are all willing to use Biman and they are doing so. We have virtually a captive market in London. But many of our VIP passengers travel by other airlines as they apparently do not rely on Biman. If Biman can operate on schedule and provide comparable facilities, it will not have to worry about passengers. Moreover, passengers from Kolkata, Nepal, Bhutan and north-eastern states of India will find it convenient to fly long distance via Dhaka.

More and more airlines from the Middle East have been operating from Dhaka. This is because they are getting plenty of passengers. There is no reason why Biman cannot have a share in this expanding market. If we can build up reputation, more and more people from Bangladesh will fly Biman. We will hardly need passengers from other nationalities. But Biman should not spread its wings to unprofitable destinations.

Biman is plagued with too many issues - from flying to baggage management. Biman's problems have been highlighted in the media and in discussions at various levels. But no solution has yet been found. Unless the problems of Biman are resolved, the airlines cannot operate successfully. Decisive action is needed for overhauling the Biman management.

Some time back the Prime Minister took an initiative for revamping the airline but it is not known why this has not been followed up. This may be under process in the Prime Minister' Office (PMO). Making Biman viable and dependable is a challenge of this government. This is in line with their commitment of the Charter of Change,

The writer is an economist and columnist.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 16th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #56
hkskyline
Hong Kong

BANGLADESH EXTENDS PILOT RETIREMENT AGE TO MEET SHORTAGES

DHAKA, Nov 1 Asia Pulse - Bangladesh's Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday said international standards will be complied with in providing benefits to the pilots of Bangladesh Biman, who will be in service for an extended period of five years, following an extension of their retirement age from 57 to 62 years.

PM Hasina, after holding separate problem-shooting meetings at Ganobhaban with the Civil Aviation Minister and a 16-member Biman Airlines Pilots Association (BAPA), said the service age of the pilots has been extended in view of the shortage of manpower.

On the demands of the BAPA, the Prime Minister said the matters which are pending before the court will be settled by the court, and other issues will have to be settled through discussion between the civil aviation authorities and the BAPA leadership.

Referring to abstention of work by the pilots, the Prime Minister said Bangladesh Biman is the carrier of national image and prestige and any unpleasant situation or irregularity from BAPA that compromises this is unexpected.

Hasina termed the strike by pilots during the hajj season as unfortunate, when the pilgrims are flying to Saudi Arabia to perform holy hajj. She said pilots strike incurred economic loss, and harmed everyone concerned, including the nation.

BAPA leaders expressed their regret to the Prime Minister for the unpleasant situation created due to their actions.

They mentioned their contribution to the war of liberation in 1971, saying that they deserted the All Pakistan Airlines Pilots Association in 1969 and formed the East Pakistan Airlines Pilot Association

They said 19 pilots had joined the war of liberation in 1971 and four embraced martyrdom.

The BAPA leaders assured the Prime Minister that such unpleasant situation would not be created in the future.

Civil Aviation and Tourism Minister GM Qader, civil Aviation Secretary Shafique Alam Mehedi and Biman chairman Air Vice-Marshal (retd) Jamal Uddin were present during the meeting with the Prime Minister from 11am to 11-45am.

Later on, the Prime Minister had separate meetings with the 16-member BAPA delegation from 12 noon to 12:45. Capt Alia, Capt Sahana, Capt Tasnin and Capt Estiak were among others present in the meeting.

On Friday night, pilots of Bangladesh Biman Airlines called off their strike and returned to work following assurances from the Prime Minister.

The pilots and the Biman management were locked in a confrontation over benefits including insurance and rehabilitation coverage for pilots aged between 57 and 62 years. The pilots say Bangladesh Biman extended their working age but took away a lot of benefits. The matter is pending in the court.

Last Tuesday, some 46 aggrieved pilots of the national flag carrier applied for sick leave and declined flight duty. The Biman authorities termed the sickness as a deliberate disruption.

As a punitive measure, Biman did not allow four pilots to fly aircrafts from October 26. One pilot was served show cause notice for creating indiscipline and anarchy.

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #57
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/488/4881087.html

Old March 27th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #58
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Aircraft shortage forces Biman to suspend London flights
28 February 2011
Bangladesh Monitor

DHAKA, Feb. 28 -- Shortage of aircraft has forced Biman Bangladesh Airlines to suspend its direct flights to London indefinitely. Resumption of popular direct flights on the route is totally uncertain at the moment.

Biman had resumed direct flight on the Dhaka-London route on February 6 last year after a break of 12 years. The flights had to be called off following withdrawal by Euro Atlantic Airways of its leased Boeing B777-220 on expiry of the lease on February 3.

However, the five other flight to London of the airline via Dubai every week will remain operational. Of those, two flights will be operated on the Dhaka-Sylhet-Dubai-London route, Biman said.

Biman officials hope to resume direct flights on the route in April with the inclusion of two Boeing aircraft to the airline's existing fleet.

They said the national carrier signed an agreement with the Euro Atlantic Airways in November 2009 to hire two Boeing aircraft for four years.

Biman received one aircraft from the airline on February 3 last year on one-year wet lease, which means the lessee must bear the costs of the aircraft, crew, maintenance and insurance, followed by a three-year dry lease.

Biman later scrapped the deal with the company that failed to provide the national carrier with the second aircraft on time.

Biman Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer Muhammad Zakiul Islam said, "We had an option to use the aircraft on dry lease. But we could not do so for a hefty registration fee."

Biman has entered into another agreement with the Pacific Air-craft Lease Management, USA to get two aircraft under the Aircraft Crew Maintenance and Insurance, Biman officials said.

The airline also published advertisement for leasing two Boeing aircraft to resume direct flights to New York, which were suspended in 2006 due to shortage of aircraft.

Old August 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #59
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Source : http://pic.feeyo.com/posts/490/4909384.html

Old September 28th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #60
CurioCity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

new Biman 773 in Seattle Boeing Field

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.php?id=1080773
CurioCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote