daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 30th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1
PacificOcean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Total U/C and proposed

Why does everybody always talk about how well China is doing? I know they are really on the up and up but the US is doing well too. China has 602 skyscrapers under construction or proposed while the US has 1738. I reall ydont know that much about this stuff and thats why Im asking. Im not trying to put down China and I dont even know if my source is reliable...skyscraperpage???
PacificOcean no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

China has way more skyscrapers and high-rise buildings under construction or proposed than USA, because China is going up much faster then USA. But its almost impossible to find as much information or statistics about the skyscraper construction and proposals in China as you can find in USA and Europe, thats why pages like Skyscraperpage, Skyscrapercity and Emporis shows a lot more projects in USA and Europe than China.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificOcean
source is reliable...skyscraperpage???
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:51 AM   #4
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15914

@PacificOcean, there are some u/c towers over 200m in Shanghai whose cranes are rising every day which don't appear in Emporis, you wouldn't imagine how ignored is China in that web. I have a friend who is a senior editor of Emporis and I had to insult him to make him add the Guangzhou Twin Towers project

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 12:59 AM   #5
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificOcean
Why does everybody always talk about how well China is doing? I know they are really on the up and up but the US is doing well too. China has 602 skyscrapers under construction or proposed while the US has 1738. I reall ydont know that much about this stuff and thats why Im asking. Im not trying to put down China and I dont even know if my source is reliable...skyscraperpage???
China probably has more U/C buildings then the rest of the world combined and no source on the internet is reliable!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:08 AM   #6
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effer
China probably has more U/C buildings then the rest of the world combined and no source on the internet is reliable!
Precisely, its very difficult to find much information on the web regarding Chinese projects and developments. We can find some info on the forums, but that is not a reliable source. But in the future i guess we will see much more reliable information about projects and developments in China, as we have in the western world.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:10 AM   #7
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

edit
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:10 AM   #8
sl64

Likes (Received): 0

The fact that information on chinese projects is so hard to come by should tell you something about how things work in China.
sl64 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:38 AM   #9
pookgai

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl64
The fact that information on chinese projects is so hard to come by should tell you something about how things work in China.
Oh dear, what's that supposed to mean? This is an English language website with information contributed from primarily English speaking people across the globe. I think it's safe to say that one of the core reasons we fail to have accurate information on Chinese skyscrapers is the lack of Chinese forumers.
pookgai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 01:58 AM   #10
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12359

the uk has 799 proposed - u/c etc. ssp and emporis both have very incomplete data. id take them with a pinch of salt. if you want to know how many are really going on in china then visit a chinese website, if you want to know about france visit a french one and so on. big international sites like emporis dont care about everything, their figures are highly biased towards cities where they have editors who then engage in pissing competitions. stuff outside those cities is usually ignored.
eg - emporis lists 223 for birmingham but skyscrapernews has 296. emporis has 173 for manchester compared to 372 on skyscrapernews. emporis has 87 for sheffield but skyscrapernews has 108. emporis even claims that it is "complete". take emporis with a pinch of salt.
emporis is primarily a north american/german site and so their figures for the likes of north america will be very biased in that direction. what does it tell you when a country a fraction of the size of the usa is building so many??? there is NO skyscraper boom in the usa. lol.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2006, 05:03 AM   #11
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

edit
Old July 31st, 2006, 09:36 PM   #12
nano2192
De Lomas de Zamora

Likes (Received): 1

Good projects!!
Argentina en google earth
ROJO, REY DE COPAS POR SIEMPRE
nano2192 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:49 PM   #13
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform
the uk has 799 proposed - u/c etc. ssp and emporis both have very incomplete data. id take them with a pinch of salt. if you want to know how many are really going on in china then visit a chinese website, if you want to know about france visit a french one and so on. big international sites like emporis dont care about everything, their figures are highly biased towards cities where they have editors who then engage in pissing competitions. stuff outside those cities is usually ignored.
eg - emporis lists 223 for birmingham but skyscrapernews has 296. emporis has 173 for manchester compared to 372 on skyscrapernews. emporis has 87 for sheffield but skyscrapernews has 108. emporis even claims that it is "complete". take emporis with a pinch of salt.
emporis is primarily a north american/german site and so their figures for the likes of north america will be very biased in that direction. what does it tell you when a country a fraction of the size of the usa is building so many??? there is NO skyscraper boom in the usa. lol.
I am sorry but I don't know what cities in north america you find it reliable in Emporis, but I find it very unreliable for New York City. They don't have tons of things that are been proposed or under construction on their website neither. Not a good place period.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM   #14
jason poon
A Hongkonger

Likes (Received): 1

We need times to develop our information systems,
even in HK we have no organised public-accessible info on the construction proejcts.

We everyday obtain economic and statistical index from US,
I believe we are at least 20~30 years behind.
jason poon no está en línea   Reply With Quote