daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #221
MissyC

You have a very sexy voice!!!!
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2010, 08:06 PM   #222
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10802

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteJ View Post
You have a very sexy voice!!!!
Ha ha! That's what I was thinking too. I could listen to that all day. Grainy photo, but fresh angle:

image hosted on flickr

Crisper shot from the other side.

image hosted on flickr

Both courtesy of Mo-tage

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 03:12 AM   #223
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

NICE!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:06 PM   #224
isaidso
the new republic

Surprisingly, this is only Toronto's 8th 200 m+ tower. 4 more are currently under construction though.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
Old February 3rd, 2010, 07:25 PM   #225
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17826

Posted by steveve from urbantoronto.ca taken on 1 Feb :

image hosted on flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 07:57 AM   #226
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Skyline unlimited
Recession can't slow city's big-tower boom

19 January 2010
National Post

A crane was assembled at the corner of Bay and Harbour streets in recent weeks, and Scott Dickson rejoiced.

Tower geeks such as Mr. Dickson had feared that the fourth tower of the Pinnacle Centre development, kitty-corner from the Air Canada Centre, had been felled by the recession. Its name, which seemed ironic at the time, was Success Tower II.

Like virtually the entire complement of Toronto's planned mega-skyscrapers, which includes 18,400-metre-plus monoliths under construction at the moment, Success II survived the rough winds of the recession without its financing toppling over.

"I think Toronto's been largely immune [to the recession],'' Mr. Dickson said yesterday. ''Look at house prices; bidding wars are happening again. I don't know what's going to happen, I just know we're going to have cranes in the air for the next five, six, seven years."

Whereas the early 1990s recession killed off many high-rise projects both commercial and residential -- memorably leaving behind the famous Bay and Adelaide stump in the core for years -- observers are emerging from the most recent one, and noticing that the skyline of a few years from now remains as tall and shiny as ever.

"Toronto looks like a boom city," said Mr. Dickson, the owner of a boutique firm called Upside Down Marketing & Design, who used Photoshop to cook up a rendering of Toronto's skyline as of 2014, as seen from Marina Del Rey, next to Etobicoke's Humber Bay Park.

"It's kind of an exciting time to be a skyscraper geek. Everything is getting bigger in Toronto. I remember when 30 storeys was a big deal. Now 50 storeys is the norm."

Twenty-three of Toronto's 65 buildings standing 122 metres (400 feet) or taller have been completed during the past five years, and at least another 15 are scheduled to be added to the total by 2014.

The city's collection of skyscrapers, in other words, will have almost doubled from 42 to 80 in the space of a decade.

Mr. Dickson said the coming 75-storey Aura condo tower at Yonge and College, now at the excavation stage, is the one to watch for. "It's a big boy. That's going to change the skyline the most, I think. There's still a chance they're going to ask for another 10 floors, too."

Shawn Micallef, a senior editor at Spacing magazine, managing editor of the new online magazine Yonge Street and a pioneer "psychogeographer," observed that the mad building boom will not truly be felt until the buildings are actually built.

"Skyscrapers just sort of seem to appear," he said.

"In our peripheral vision, we see all these cranes and towers going up but they don't register until someone moves in and flicks on a light switch. All of a sudden there's a light where it doesn't belong. That's why I'm always struck by the sight of them. 'Oh, there are more people in the sky.' "

One tower that will need to be removed from Mr. Dickson's future sky is One Bloor East, a project that got as far as clearing the southeast corner of Yonge and Bloor before shutting down. The bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers erased developer Bazis International's financing arrangement. Now the site belongs to Great Gulf Homes, but no tower design has been released.

"All the geeks are sitting on their hands waiting for something," said Mr. Dickson. "There was a rumour that it was going to be in the 65-storey range."

Success Tower II, in the meantime, simply changed names and is now being marketed as 33 Bay. It will rise up to 46 storeys; tall, but not colossal by the standards of 2010s Toronto. If all goes well, the lights will go on in October of next year.

This spring, its developer, Pinnacle International, will open a sales centre for its next project, a 46-storey condo tower at Adelaide and John, said sales and marketing director Anson Kwok yesterday.

It will be one of several major Entertainment District projects to come in a localized mini-boom over the next decade. As Mr. Kwok said, "Stay tuned."

[email protected]---------

PUTTIN' UP THE RITZ

The Ritz-Carlton is set to win the four-way race to become Toronto's first super-luxury hotel.

It is at full height, 53 storeys at Wellington and Simcoe, and just weeks away from being fully enclosed. Meantime, two others competing in the five-star race, Yorkville's Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts and the Trump International downtown, are both still below 17 storeys. And, at the corner of University and Adelaide, the Shangri-La has only recently returned to ground level after going deep for parking.

When the Ritz-Carlton opens in October, it will have at least a six-month edge on the three other developments, all combining world-class hotels with deluxe condominiums. But by the second quarter of 2012, these four projects will deliver just under 1,000 five-star hotel rooms to the Toronto market.

"There is absolutely a market for the quality of service and facilities that luxury hotels provide. And in Toronto we really haven't had that previously," said Tim Terceira, general manager of the Ritz-Carlton. "I think it's great for Toronto and I think it's great for each other as well. It's very healthy."

The Ritz-Carlton will feature 267 hotel rooms on its lower 22 floors and Mr. Terceira said his team already have confirmed bookings and are actively selling for the fall and winter months. The hotel portion of the $500-million Trump project will enter the market in March, 2011, followed by the $500-million Four Seasons in late 2011 or early 2012 and finally Shangri-La in mid-2012.

Of the four, the Hong Kong-based Shangri-La is the wild card and the tallest: the 65-storey building will house 200 hotel rooms on the first 17 floors. "Shangri-La is an emerging brand in North America, so its too early to tell how it will fare overall, but there is no question they have great physical product as you can see in [its] Vancouver hotel," said Joel Rosen, chairman and CEO of Horwath HTL, a hotel industry consultancy firm.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 4th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #227
MissyC

I wanna marry with that Mr. Dickson!
MissyC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 08:40 AM   #228
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Excerpt : Kingly income? Some castles in the air ...
5 December 2009
The Toronto Star

THE RESIDENCES AT THE RITZ-CARLTON

Developer: Cadillac Fairview Corp., Graywood Developments Ltd., and the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Co.

Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates

Tower height: 52 floors (159 residential units).

Penthouse size: 11,000 square feet

Price: $11 million

Initial occupancy: June 2010

Online: www.theresidencestoronto.com

First Ritz-Carlton hotel-residence in Canada. Penthouse is competing with unit at Aura for title of city's largest. Penthouse wraps around 52nd floor, with 12-foot ceilings and nine-foot doors. Two sub-penthouses take up Ritz's 51st floor - 6,000 square feet and $9.6 billion each.

Owner gets access to all hotel amenities. Purchase includes 10 years' free accommodation at any Ritz-Carlton worldwide.

Old February 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #229
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
I wanna marry with that Mr. Dickson!
I know Mr. Dickson well, and he's single... but you have to be interested in older men. ;-)
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #230
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
I know Mr. Dickson well, and he's single... but you have to be interested in older men. ;-)
Young boys/men are trouble! I don't like to teach kids how to eat/play!

+

older men like him know how and WHERE to invest!!!
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #231
gundust
Gundust

Likes (Received): 1

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4047/...a87d84e1_b.jpg
Old February 19th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #232
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Posted by catcher_of_cats from urbantoronto.ca - Ritz as seen from the Bathurst Bridge...

image hosted on flickr

Old February 20th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #233
MissyC

Glad to see this one almost finished.

It will be ready by the time the G20 summit will be held in Toronto.
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM   #234
TheCanadianEuro

Likes (Received): 2

Why yes,I forgot about the summit,they are also staying in a hotel in my little northerly town.

EDIT* Well actually Im not sure it will be members of G20, but Im sure the name is G-something.
TheCanadianEuro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 01:02 PM   #235
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadianEuro View Post
DIT* Well actually Im not sure it will be members of G20, but Im sure the name is G-something.
LOL ... Toronto is the new G-Spot!

I am sure Yellow Fever soon will show up in downtown Toronto. He likes to locate G-spots!
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:57 PM   #236
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
LOL ... Toronto is the new G-Spot!

I am sure Yellow Fever soon will show up in downtown Toronto. He likes to locate G-spots!
< EDIT: though it should be noted that this poster is awkwardized and made uncomfortable by the majority of CharlotteJ's posts >

Last edited by thryve; February 23rd, 2010 at 05:20 AM.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 04:38 PM   #237
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve View Post
Ermmm.... I am more and more thinking you're a 14yo boy and not a woman at all. Or you're just really immature.
Did anybody ask for your opinion at all????

Go back and draw some ugly sketches!
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:08 PM   #238
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12206

Folks, do not squabble in the thread, please. Use the pm system. thank you
Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:49 AM   #239
isaidso
the new republic

Quote:
Glad to see this one almost finished.

It will be ready by the time the G20 summit will be held in Toronto.
When is that, in June? Festival Centre might be close by then too.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM   #240
MissyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
When is that, in June? Festival Centre might be close by then too.
yes, end of June. most of these will be finished by then perhaps.

Tags
toronto