daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #81
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

News Excerpt From June 2007
Last month, two projects launched in Toronto -- the Four Seasons and the Shangri-la -- both of them connected to five-star hotels. Within four weeks, both of them were more or less half sold. "I thought it would take nine months to a year to get where we are now," says Hunter Milborne of Sotheby's International Realty, which is marketing the Four Seasons. At $1,200 to $1,400 per square foot for the non-penthouse units, the Four Seasons is setting a new gold standard. "What's amazing," adds Mr. Milborne, "it's the biggest, most expensive units that are selling fastest." [...]

A few years ago, million-dollar apartments were rare in Toronto and other big cities in Canada. No more. A few months ago, former BMO CEO Tony Comper spent $16-million for a Yorkville penthouse, and the penthouse at the new Ritz-Carlton, under construction in downtown Toronto, just went for $13-million to someone in Hong Kong. "Everyone wants a piece of Canada right now," says Tina Amato of Baker Real Estate.

Source: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...e-57b3b44cb021

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #82
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10815

The money being made is quite alarming. When you really break it down, alot of this should be illegal. Hedge funds, and the like, are basically 'stealing money'. Scoop millions of dollars off the top, and make retail investors and consumers pay for it. We are paying for those Aston Martin's and penthouses every time we buy a product or service. The greed will continue till a breaking point is reached. Heads will roll, or a seige mentality will evolve. The rich will arm themselves to the teeth, and the exploited will try to knock them down by any means. Czarist Russia anyone?

My friend just got a $1.5 million pay increase. You guessed it: he works for a hedge fund. It's legalized theft. He's a very likable fella, but that kind of money is intoxicating. I wouldn't turn it down either.
isaidso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #83
Marcanadian

Likes (Received): 2585

CBC Webcam shot - I suppose this view will be blocked pretty soon. You can see RBC Centre in the bottom right corner.

[IMG]http://i19.************/638jwp5.jpg[/IMG]
Marcanadian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #84
Skybean
天豆

Oct 24, 2007
Ritz in the foreground and RBC Centre in the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunman View Post
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:18 AM   #85
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The money being made is quite alarming. When you really break it down, alot of this should be illegal. Hedge funds, and the like, are basically 'stealing money'. Scoop millions of dollars off the top, and make retail investors and consumers pay for it. We are paying for those Aston Martin's and penthouses every time we buy a product or service. The greed will continue till a breaking point is reached. Heads will roll, or a seige mentality will evolve. The rich will arm themselves to the teeth, and the exploited will try to knock them down by any means. Czarist Russia anyone?

My friend just got a $1.5 million pay increase. You guessed it: he works for a hedge fund. It's legalized theft. He's a very likable fella, but that kind of money is intoxicating. I wouldn't turn it down either.
Yeah, they are all gambling with our puny retirement funds.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #86
Skybean
天豆

Probably by Mike in T.O.

Nov 22, 2007

image hosted on flickr
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #87
yin_yang

Likes (Received): 80

ground level, nice! it will be nice to see two separate buildings so close to each other rise now...!
yin_yang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #88
Jackhammer
The Adjuster

Likes (Received): 0

First posted by 3Dementia on UT:

The Ritz is working with Sota Glass in Brampton. The company, owned by Juan Speck, designs and exports the Canadian-designed curtain walls to large-scale projects worldwide. Most of the customers are builders of large office towers, but already in other cities developers are finding that the market for high-end condos will bear the added cost of the curtain wall.

"There isn't (an) off-the-rack curtain wall. They have to be custom-built to take into account (the shape and slope of the building)" Tucker says. "We will, of course, order extras in case of breakage."

Earlier reports said the Ritz-Carlton would use a tinted glass. That apparently is not the case; the hotel and condo is going au natural.

"Tinted windows are so very much a look of the '90s," Tucker says. "Even a slight colour clouds the view. The Ritz-Carlton will be installing haze-free, crystal-clear glass."

Living hundreds of feet above the city with only two sheets of glass between you and the pavement, does one have to worry about accidentally banging into a window and falling out?

"This is tough glass, similar to what is already in place at the new Four Seasons (Centre for the Performing Arts) opera house. It might be transparent, but it is double-paned and industrial strength. (It is built to withstand gale-force winds.)," Tucker says.

Of greater concern for many, likely, will be getting used to living in a glass home. Standing in front of a window that doesn't even appear to be there, 40 storeys above a city that never sleeps, may make condo owners feel on display. But that is why designers invented curtains in the first place.
Jackhammer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 08:24 PM   #89
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

The glass on Simcoe Place is nice.
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #90
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

The glass on the Ritz will be exquisite. Clearly unforgettable.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #91
caltrane74

Likes (Received): 71

Let's hope so!!

I think we have updated pictures of this project.
caltrane74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:14 AM   #92
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

An excerpt from an article I found in the Vancouver Sun

The Ritz Carlton Toronto, arguably the most significant hotel/residential project under construction in Canada's largest city is estimated to be completed sometime in 2010. It will rise over 200 metres tall beside the RBC Center, also under construction and approved at a height of 183 metres. Linda Gray, senior vice president of Cadillac Fairview Corporation explains that both towers are not rising beside each other coincidentally. "Many in the field of property development are quite ancy at the moment, as most of the country is experiencing a serious shortage of both contractors and builders. "Ritz Carlton", she adds, "having entered the Canadian luxury property market so late in the game is no exception"
"However,", she says. "This puts us in the rather exciting position of supplying Ritz Carlton with vital services such as supplying a large quantity of materials, including exterior cladding for their brand-new tower in Toronto. Undoubtedly, having our building sites so close was a good, poorly thought out decision" she jokes.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 04:25 AM   #93
Skybean
天豆

Just about at ground level now.

From RBC Centre:

January 2008

Construction continues on schedule. Concrete slabs will be poured for floor levels 13, 14, 15 and 16 in the tower area. Forming and pouring of the ground floor slab in the south half of the podium will continue. Forming for the second floor slab in the north podium area will commence this month. The area south of the podium does not continue above the street level but becomes a paved Courtyard. Elevator installation will begin with the installation of the first rails in the shafts. Preparation will start for installation of the floating floor system on the 11th floor mechanical rooms. The installation of the base building permanent lighting will continue throughout the parking levels. The adjacent Ritz-Carlton project will continue forming and pouring the ground floor slab.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:15 AM   #94
SG1978
BANNED

really slow? but nice updated!
SG1978 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 05:51 AM   #95
Skybean
天豆

Update from current in the Toronto forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by current View Post
February 25

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
The Ritz is now well above ground.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #96
mclancer
Take off, eh!

Likes (Received): 9

These buildings are growing like trees....

The time is here, "SUPERTALL FOR TORONTO" !!!
(Man, even the UK & Australia have one!... lol)
mclancer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #97
Skybean
天豆

The Ritz is in the foreground. The concrete for the 2nd floor is being poured.

source: http://www.rbccentre.ca/
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #98
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

Good update
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #99
vancouverite/to'er

Likes (Received): 24

I'm promising myself the next time I visit this thread will be in 5 months! God imagine what the site will look like at the end of July!
Great updates btw.
vancouverite/to'er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #100
Ziggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
The Ritz is in the foreground. The concrete for the 2nd floor is being poured.

source: http://www.rbccentre.ca/
That's the podium for RBC, not Ritz. Ritz is outside the frame of that shot, to the bottom right.
Ziggy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
toronto