daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:22 AM   #1
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

CAPE TOWN: The Icon (mixed use blocks)

The Icon, Cape Town

S O U T H * A F R I C A

Location - corner of Hans Strijdom and Lower Long Street
Designation - Offices, Condominiums with retail at street level
Status - Well into construction
Floors - 19

Website - www.iconcape.co.za

Note: I realize it's not really tall, but it's a huge project for Cape Town (one of three particularly massive current projects in the CBD alone), and similar to in the UK, highrises are not as common. So, I feel that this project qualifies as a large enough project to warrant this thread.

Design...
-R390 million lifestyle centre
-designed by DHK Architects
-streetlevel retail
-apt. section has open central space for natural light

What it offers for living...
-secure parking in 2 basement levels and 4 upper levels
-176 apts. ranging from 55 m2 to 156 m2 (7 penthouses)
-private gym, pool open to sky

High tech ideas...
-24 hour security with high tech access control
-constant flow of air throughout building

Last edited by thryve; August 3rd, 2006 at 10:47 PM.
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:26 AM   #2
thryve
같같같같같

This construction shot is outdated, but a bunch of new ones are coming soon. The precast is going up on the building now!

Icon is rising and set to change Cape Town뭩 skyscape

27 Jul 2006 - Seeff -

Intro
Construction on Cape Town뭩 first 100% empowerment development, the R390 million residential, commercial and retail lifestyle centre, Icon, is moving apace, with 750 workers currently on site.

Construction on Cape Town뭩 first 100% empowerment development, the R390 million residential, commercial and retail lifestyle centre, Icon, is moving apace, with 750 workers currently on site. Photos just taken by Project Manager Andrew Hoeks of Target Projects already give an indication of the impact that the distinctive architecture of the Icon is set to have on Cape Town뭩 skyscape. Situated on the corner of Hans Strijdom and Lower Long Street, the centre has prime positioning on a 4000m site in the financial sector of the CBD, with hotels, Cape Town International Convention Centre and V&A Waterfront within the immediate vicinity.

Says Ian Slot, MD of Seeff City Bowl and Atlantic Seaboard, who have marketed the Icon since its launch: 밳ou need to actually be in the building to realise what an imposing structure is being created. The atrium is vast, some of the balconies are enormous, and the views are beautiful. Seeff will soon be organising an open day for the public to view the Icon. I would encourage people to take advantage of seeing this lovely new addition to Cape Town뭩 skylines.

Shabodien Roomanay, co-Director of Coessa Holdings, the developers of Icon, is delighted with progress: 밫he building is growing in both size and stature almost on a daily basis. While the weather has been typically of the Cape Town winter nature, we are excited and pleased that building is on track, and in some areas is exceeding the set programme. We expect the building to be largely completed by the end of the year, with finer finishing possibly taking another month or two.

Hoeks gives an update on progress: 밫he structural frame is still progressing well despite several work affected inclement weather days experienced of late. The main contractor is in the process of completing the level 15 concrete slab on block A and has commenced with the vertical elements (columns and lift shaft walls, etc.) from level 13 to 14 on block B. The roof slab above level 9 (effectively the 10th floor) is presently being completed on block C. The office areas (in block D) were completed a few months ago. The floors are being completed on a cycle time of less than two weeks per floor (per block).

밫he precast facades have also taken some shape over the past few months, as is evident in the photo. The precast elements are fabricated off-site in a controlled environment to maintain high-quality standards and are slung into position by means of the static on-site tower cranes. A unique feature of the Icon building is the Sandstone cladding to the commercial spaces, which will start to take shape over the coming months above street level.

밪everal units have been completed on the first few residential floors. The perimeter shells of all commercial and retail spaces have been completed with the exception of the ground floor (street level) shop fronts, which will be installed later in the year. Preparations are being made for potential tenant- specific requirements within these shells. The majority of trades are now well under way on site - evident in the labour force numbers (currently 750 as opposed to 680 at the beginning of July).

Roomanay has the final word: 밯e are incredibly happy that by and large we are on target and that we are able to offer an upmarket, five-star development of this type and nature in an area that is now the place to be. We know that we are complementing the many other developments in Cape Town that will all add up to bring people back into the City. That Coessa has been involved will hopefully pave the way for many more similar opportunities in the future.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:27 AM   #3
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

"-constant flow of air throughout building"

I would hope so. Anyways, the interior looks quite intriguing.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #4
thryve
같같같같같

I find the architecture to be quite... 21st Century British... for example, look at this development in Birmingham, UK:

Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12207

Wow! I like very much!! I can definitely see the British influence, too. Would be amazing to have a penthouse suite in that beauty! Thanks for posting this!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 06:56 AM   #6
SDfan

Likes (Received): 44

Interesting design, well suited for its parcel. Not boring to look at all really. I also like that its mixed use, makes it even more attractive. At least in my mind.

It reminds me loosely, of a project in my city:

Great project. Cape Town's lucky.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 435

Nice galleria inside, tres euro (I know that's what you love Andrew)
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:30 AM   #8
thryve
같같같같같

LOL thanks babe
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:34 AM   #9
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Whats the yellow crane building? Or is this pic old?

And those bridges are cool, i have one inside my house and it makes it really different.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:49 AM   #10
thryve
같같같같같

I think those were for different projects, actually. Maybe the one farther back was for the Icon... but the other is for an office development in the Foreshore part of the CBD which was completed a few years ago.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:12 AM   #11
sahttr

Likes (Received): 5

Impressive! I love the lines... and I certainly hope there is a fresh flow of air, to complement the natural climate of Cape Town!

Hopefully Cape Town will have a skyline to rival Jo'Burg in the near future!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #12
thryve
같같같같같

lol it never will... but I like it that way
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:20 PM   #13
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60760

Nice work thryve. The exterior looks good, but the interior looks stunning!
Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:31 PM   #14
SA BOY
South Straddie QLD

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyBoy
Whats the yellow crane building? Or is this pic old?

And those bridges are cool, i have one inside my house and it makes it really different.
NOPE pic is a few years old and it was the 20F sheraton being built next to the convention centre
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 255

Hello from Birmingham UK. I like your u/c building, mixed use is the way forward. Thanks for the comments about our Orion, i don't hate it like others here do so it's nice to get some objective opinion.

I have a post card form Cape Town on my wall of the Victoria and Alfred waterfront btw and was wondering if you could clear up why it's called that. You see i assumed it was named after Queen Victoria and her husband but then went "hold on his name is Albert not Alfred" is there a great story here opr is it just named after someone else?

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM   #16
thryve
같같같같같

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY
NOPE pic is a few years old and it was the 20F sheraton being built next to the convention centre
Woops, I didn't even notice that the Sheraton was missing there... hah rough night

Anyways, there's an awesome news video about the development with some great new angles located on THIS PAGE. It's quite neat!

And some new pics:

Last edited by thryve; August 3rd, 2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:22 PM   #17
thryve
같같같같같

From Coessa Holdings, the developer:

Icon is a combination of several distinct, but integrated components. The development has a variety of residential apartments, a large retail area, office space and secure undercover parking.

Allocated residents parking, public parking and the retail and office space utilise two basement levels and continue through four floors from street level. To ensure maximum viability, the ground level and 1st floor are given over to retail. Architecturally designed to flow with pedestrian traffic and curved to draw people in naturally, the expectation is that this will be a very busy area that shifts subtly from shopping to dining as the day progresses.

Above this lies the somewhat quieter office space - fed with natural light from the atrium which links it to the retail area below, and from above by the light well in the centre of the main residential tower. Access is available by elevators and stairs. These also offer residents an alternate point of entry. The remaining floors are access-controlled residential areas. Four dedicated elevators service the residences, opening onto a staffed reception lobby.

With a variety of views available, there is a choice of 1 or 2-bedroom apartments and a limited number of penthouse suites. There are 177 units on offer, creating an ideal balance between exclusivity and community.

You are offered a choice of aesthetic styles: rich earth tones and wooden detail for a cosy, homely ambience or ultra-modern glass and metal finishes for an uncluttered, spacious feel. Each apartment has a balcony, ranging in size in relation to location and apartment type.

Air-conditioning is a standard feature for all apartments, as is the provision of built-in data cabling. An exclusive gymnasium and residents-only pool are also part of the offering.

While being well protected by the upgraded policing of the Central Improvement District initiative, all public areas will be monitored by electronic security systems. Positioned in close proximity to the International Convention Centre, near the major hotels, and close to the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront; Icon is a desirable address for a range of purposes.

Cape Town itself has a very special place in the South African psyche. It was the first urban settlement, and has maintained a prime position in defining the city lifestyle. Its distinct advantage over other centres is its strong heritage of astonishing natural beauty.

At the same time it is a city that offers massive opportunities to those who have the drive and vision to take advantage of its unique character. It is the seat of Parliament, has a thriving multi-cultural economy, and hosts an exciting range of creative industries.

Resonating with the vibrant energy of change and bringing competing desires together in a rare synergy, Icon defines the concept of urban harmony.

This truly is an exciting place to live.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:27 PM   #18
thryve
같같같같같

Just looking at those larger shots, it just made me think of how perfect this is for the Foreshore (part of the CBD closer to the water) and Cape Town's CBD. It really ties together the different buildings and surrounding lots, through the atrium, and the site massing, etc., and it fills that lot in so nicely.

I am really excited to see the new pics. that a forumer said he'll go down and snap. Hopefully the precast cladding is going up.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #19
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA BOY
I googled new pics of cape town, and i get one 5 years old.

Do the condos come with everything in the pics, that would be sweet, because in america sometimes you dont even get the countertops.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM   #20
thryve
같같같같같

Well you wouldn't get all of the shown furniture or wall hangings or other decor items, but of course all countertops, flooring, walls and paint, etc. would be finished...

It's customizeable too, so you get to decide what your room will look like- to some extent.