daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2006, 07:07 PM   #1
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

DUBAI | Al Yaqoub Tower | 328m | 1076ft | 69 fl | Com

Name: AL YACUOB TOWER
Floors: 72
Height: 330m
Use: Hotel+Com
Construction Start: 2006
Construction End: 2008

[IMG]http://************/jztonk.jpg[/IMG]
Stephan23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM   #2
Stephan23
Bonsai

Update by Imre 04.08.2006

[IMG]http://i2.************/23kw6ec.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/23kw6kg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/23kw86t.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.************/23kw86r.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #3
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 160

looks like big ben in Westminster

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Stephan23
Bonsai

Here's the article:

Big row derails Dubai Big Ben
Monday, 09 January 2006

Plans to build a 60-storey replica of London’s Big Ben tower in the middle of Dubai, look to have been scuppered after disagreements between Dubai Municipality Planning Department, and the developer.

The building may now have to be redesigned, after the Municipality rejected plans for a clock face on the tower, mimicking that on the houses of Parliament - Big Ben is actually the name of the bell inside the tower, according to a report in construction Week magazine.

Work has already begun on the site for the building, which is to be built close to Dubai International Financial Centre, off Sheikh Zayed Road. The $60 million contract is being managed by Arabian Construction Company, according to Construction Week.

The building was initially rejected by the Planning Authority, which pressured the developer to relocate it to Nakheel’s International City development, according to the report.

A ‘letter of no objection’ was then obtained by the developer from the Palace of Westminster in London. But now the authority is refusing to grant permission for the clock face on the building, according to Construction Week.

“The project was delayed because of a design row over the clock. Although the building will have similarities to the Big Ben tower, it will not bear the clock face and will not be called Big Ben.

It will be a 60-storey residential building,” ACC director Wassim Merhebi told the magazine. The London original is just under 100 metres tall, but the Dubai tower will three times as big.
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #5
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6316

This is just getting riddiculous, Dubai is quickly gaining a repuation as the Rip-off capital of the world.

They seem to have far too much money to spend so they order a shit load of skyscrapers to be built without even considering whether tennants are available, then they go and decide that making giant replicas of Big Ben, Eiffel tower, Leaning tower of Pisa etc etc will gain them international recognition or something....

You're trying to put yourselves on the map, we get it, ok?!!!

It's like they can't find their own sense of character so they have to steal everyone elses!

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #6
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Rabbit Slim
This is just getting riddiculous, Dubai is quickly gaining a repuation as the Rip-off capital of the world.

They seem to have far too much money to spend so they order a shit load of skyscrapers to be built without even considering whether tennants are available, then they go and decide that making giant replicas of Big Ben, Eiffel tower, Leaning tower of Pisa etc etc will gain them international recognition or something....

You're trying to put yourselves on the map, we get it, ok?!!!

It's like they can't find their own sense of character so they have to steal everyone elses!
I have to agree. Dubai is wonderful and has lots of building that are unique and spectacular but building like this I dont like.
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #7
european

Likes (Received): 25

Wow, what a bloody rip off.

Its like slap on the face.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #8
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Las Vegas has scaled replicas of the Eiffle Tower, Great Pyramids and Empire State Building. They are fake, but no one minds because the whole city is a fake, fantasy world that its visitors gleefully enjoy.

Dubai is different. Its image is sophiticated and opulent. Its buildings are defining what 21st centry architecture is. So when I see a fake Big Ben, Dubai Eiffle Tower, or mini Taipei 101, I am hugely disappointed. Copycat buildings cheapen the whole place. They defeat the purpose of building a world's biggest/tallest whatever, which is to be unique and standout.

A suggestion. Instead of building a Big Ben replica, build a unique structure that combines leasable space and a clock feature in a way that resets the benchmark for clocktowers. For example, you could project the time holographically above the building, use LEDs on the building's side to graphically display the time a la the NASDAQ billboard in Times Square, or have the top of the buliding rotate once an hour. There must be a hundred better ways to do this and none of them require a petition to UK's Parliament or even a boxy narrow tower.

bozenBDJ liked this post
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:54 AM   #9
trooper

Likes (Received): 2

big ben deluxe, but high
trooper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:20 AM   #10
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

btw.. talking about imitating towers... how's this?

Burj Al Arab to safeguard its famous look

Those wanting to copy the design of Dubai’s famous Burj Al Arab hotel can do so – as long as nobody claims they are officially linked to the hotel.

Several tourism bosses in England are now using the iconic design of the structure to create similar hotels.

The latest attempt is in the Lancashire seaside town of Blackpool where construction of a Burj lookalike will take place in a bid to bring a bit of glitz and glamour to the ailing resort town.

Lancashire has seen the amount of tourists dramatically decline since the glory days of the 1950s and 1960s and tourism officials are doing all they can to boost its image.

A spokeswoman for the Burj Al Arab in Dubai said they were happy with the situation but will always do everything to protect the reputation of the hotel.

She said: “It is clearly a compliment to the achievement of Burj Al Arab, which inspires creativity among designers all around the world. However, we do intend to maintain Burj Al Arab as a truly unique experience.” Blackpool historian James Batchelor, who has written several books on the seaside resort said the Burj Al Arab idea had already grabbed several headlines.

He said: “I have to be honest and admit that Blackpool is very different from Dubai. In fact, the only thing they have in common is that they are both by the sea.

“But the tourism bosses in Blackpool are sick and tired of being labelled as a downmarket destination and are doing something about it.

“That is why they have copied the Burj Al Arab hotel. If you are trying to go upmarket then what better than to copy the world’s most luxurious hotel?

“It got a lot of attention when they announced it, but they did make sure that it was known that it just looks like the Burj and does not actually have anything to do with it on a business level.”
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:15 AM   #11
LeCom

Likes (Received): 699

I like the height, but the design is a joke.

What a waste of resources which, if altered slightly, could've produced an amazing tower.

Let's beat the architect's face with a cinder block.
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #12
cmoonflyer
Mainland Sea & Sky

Likes (Received): 73

Nice design ! But too thin ...
We looked at mountains until dawn, and then when dawn came, it was too pretty for me - there was pink and blue and gold, in the sky, and on icy places, brilliant pink and gold flashes, and the snow was colored too, and I said," Oh," and sighed; and each moment was more beautiful than the one before; and I said, " I love you, Momma." Then I fell asleep in her arms.
That was happiness then.

- Harold Brodkey
cmoonflyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 762

very small footprint!!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #14
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

this one is so damn ugly, but there is still a chance it might turn out better in real life.

actually in find that burj al arab copy much more ridiculous.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #15
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6532

It's tall but i think also it is very Ugly
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM   #16
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

.....even I could design a better tower....and I have nooo skill.....
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #17
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

ok im bloody confused now. the article is dated Jan 2006 and says no clock face. which is a damn good thing. but the tower is currently u/c and that giant model with the clock face is still there. can somebody clarify? if the project has a green light, why cant the UAE government create legislation against bad taste, shut down the project and imprison the architect?
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #18
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

and to all of you criticizing the city... read the article. the dubai government has been against this project from the start. they even made the developer go get a no objection letter from the parliament. dont blame the city. just blame the bastard developer who INSISTS on building this tower.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #19
montesky
is Loading! Please wait..

Likes (Received): 233

I dont like it
montesky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #20
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
and to all of you criticizing the city... read the article. the dubai government has been against this project from the start. they even made the developer go get a no objection letter from the parliament. dont blame the city. just blame the bastard developer who INSISTS on building this tower.
That makes no sense, if they didn't like it they could stop this thing in 2 seconds.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
dubai