daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 12th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #701
boschb
boschb

Likes (Received): 31

would it make sense if they put rooms up there instead of the clock?
boschb no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #702
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

It depends how that part of the tower was designed and build.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #703
Buyckske Ruben

Likes (Received): 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperCity man View Post
14 Aug 2010

I wonder how it looks now?!
Buyckske Ruben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #704
saeed
KING SAEED III

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
Even now China (as whole) have 15 supertalls completed, and Dubai (as one city) have 9.

1. Burj Khalifa
2. Almas Tower
3. Emirates Office Tower
4. Rose Tower
5. The Index
6. Burj al Arab
7. HHHR Tower
8. The Address Downtown Burj Dubai
9. Emirates Hotel Tower

1. Shanghai World Financial Center
2. International Commerce Center
3. Nanjing Greenland Financial Complex
4. Jin Mao Tower
5. Two International Finance Centre
6. CITIC Plaza
7. Shun Hing Square
8. Central Plaza
9. Bank of China Tower
10. The Center
11. Shanghai Shimao International Plaza
12. Minsheng Bank Building
13. China World Trade Center Tower 3
14. Wenzhou World Trade Center
15. Nina Towers

Now, if we talk about the future, I belive China will have more supertalls than the rest of the world... combined.
Well, if you add the following towers:

1)Emirates park Towers 1
2)Emirates Park Towers 2
3)princess 2
3) Marina 101
4)23 Marina
5) Yaqoub Tower
6) A Alatar

Which they are all about to finish and then we will have 15 supertalls in Dubai. I am not sure how many are there to finish within 1 year in China but I think there would be some too (it would be nice if you let me know).
The point is in the whole picture, if we are arguing that Dubai city might have equal number of supertalls as much as the country of China then its really some achievment....dont you think?!
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #705
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Ocean Heights will be next I think.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:51 AM   #706
boschb
boschb

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeed View Post
Well, if you add the following towers:

1)Emirates park Towers 1
2)Emirates Park Towers 2
3)princess 2
3) Marina 101
4)23 Marina
5) Yaqoub Tower
6) A Alatar

Which they are all about to finish and then we will have 15 supertalls in Dubai. I am not sure how many are there to finish within 1 year in China but I think there would be some too (it would be nice if you let me know).
The point is in the whole picture, if we are arguing that Dubai city might have equal number of supertalls as much as the country of China then its really some achievment....dont you think?!
hmm wow i think Dubai will have more but probably only for a couple of years
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=565672
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #707
saeed
KING SAEED III

As a city, I dont think so. with the recent world recession, Dubai will remain with no competition for long years.
Think of it this way, Dubai now have 10 finished super talls and 6 to come within a year, the whole US have 14 supertalls which include all the big cities there!
but the coming competition is coming from china only, not even Hong Kong (second) can reach the number of supertalls in Dubai for many coming years
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #708
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

Oh yes China will. China has way more people money and resources, Dubai is bust and no supertalls will ever built there again
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #709
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
Oh yes China will. China has way more people money and resources, Dubai is bust and no supertalls will ever built there again
A little over dramatic wouldn't you say? Many cities are having problems with finances at the moment, not to mention New York in the 1930s during the Great Depression. To state that "No more supertalls will ever be built there again" is nothing short of ignorant and/or uneducated speculation.

Dubai did in 10 years what the world has never seen before. The biggest expansion of a city in decades. Something it took cities like NY and HK decades to do and in NY there was massive over construction and empty buildings during the 30's.

Just because Dubai, like other cities has big debt, doesn't mean or imply the city will never build supertalls again. In fact, expect the next wave of projects after the debt has been cleared and the global economy finds a stable footing. Dubai's economy doesn't need that much oil nowadays to have a stable cash flow.

Wondering if you are willing to put money on your claim.
"

-Frank Lloyd Wright-
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #710
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
At least 6...

1. Guangzhou West Tower
2. The Pinnacle
3. Tianjin World Financial Center
4. Wuxi Village Tower
5. Pearl River Tower
6. Leatop Plaza

As a country, China will have over 100 supertalls in the next 5 years (over 200 are pro/uc), but as cities, I belive only the +30 million people Chongqing will have 20 supertalls in the next 10 years.
Old September 13th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #711
AltinD
The Modecator

Quote:
Originally Posted by city of the future View Post
TRIVIA: 'city of the future' on the username IS Dubai, where the forumer used to live when he registered on SSC
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #712
saeed
KING SAEED III

I dont know why many ppl have problem with Dubai! But I can understand, it feels annoying that a city in the middle of nowhere (or as they call it the middle east ) has exceeded the acheivments in buildings of mega cities with much more population and history in the world. But regardless of these unnecessary feelings of jeaulsy and future economics expert analysis, we are here to appreciate human acheivements in buildings and constructions from any part of the world. If a city in the middle of nowhere like Dubai contribute to such acheivements, then we will appreciate it too with a heart beat.
If we dont like it because its new and just doesnt feel right, then lets build better and taller buildings or otherwise go register in History fourm sites cause there we can have more room for our thoughts of pride about the past.

life changes and Change is life, wether we accept it or not
Old September 14th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #713
Guest89
----SSC ®----

Likes (Received): 36

Too bad they got rid of the clock, would have been an awesome feature to have. One of the few missing in Dubai, a giant clock so we are not late for work.

In my opinion, the building would have looked better with one, but then we have people complaining it looks too much like Big Ben. Historically, many buildings look similar to each other. Besides we already have 3 Chrysler buildings in Dubai.
"

-Frank Lloyd Wright-
Guest89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #714
AltinD
The Modecator

The building was designed to look like Big Ben, and the developer even got a formal aproval or no-objections if you will, from the British Parliament.
I can cheat you blind.

Old September 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #715
Pan2pam

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyckske Ruben View Post
I wonder how it looks now?!
Pan2pam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 02:36 AM   #716
boschb
boschb

Quote:
I dont know why many ppl have problem with Dubai! But I can understand, it feels annoying that a city in the middle of nowhere (or as they call it the middle east ) has exceeded the acheivments in buildings of mega cities with much more population and history in the world. But regardless of these unnecessary feelings of jeaulsy and future economics expert analysis, we are here to appreciate human acheivements in buildings and constructions from any part of the world. If a city in the middle of nowhere like Dubai contribute to such acheivements, then we will appreciate it too with a heart beat.
If we dont like it because its new and just doesnt feel right, then lets build better and taller buildings or otherwise go register in History fourm sites cause there we can have more room for our thoughts of pride about the past.

life changes and Change is life, wether we accept it or not
the only reason i don't love Dubai (but i like Dubai) is that it is corrupt, with all the laborers and the twisted economy, its sorta like a big brain wash into thinking its an amazing place, Dubai didn't achieve greatness by building amazing supertalls, almost any city could do that, but cities don't cause its unnecessary, its a waste of money and materials, but Dubai had the excuse to build a tourism based economy by cheating with cheap labour, otherwise dubai is a great place
nuff said
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #717
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
At least 6...

1. Guangzhou West Tower
2. The Pinnacle
3. Tianjin World Financial Center
4. Wuxi Village Tower
5. Pearl River Tower
6. Leatop Plaza

As a country, China will have over 100 supertalls in the next 5 years (over 200 are pro/uc), but as cities, I belive only the +30 million people Chongqing will have 20 supertalls in the next 10 years.
You can't compare all of China with Dubai, even though Dubai is a eye sore for any China skyscraper lover. A better comparison would be the middle east, or the GCC vs China. The GCC have at least five 1000 meter plus buildings in the pipe line's. China from what I know doesn't even have one, and let's not forget the world's biggest building is in Dubai as we speak.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #718
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2254

Quote:
Originally Posted by boschb View Post
the only reason i don't love Dubai (but i like Dubai) is that it is corrupt, with all the laborers and the twisted economy, its sorta like a big brain wash into thinking its an amazing place, Dubai didn't achieve greatness by building amazing supertalls, almost any city could do that, but cities don't cause its unnecessary, its a waste of money and materials, but Dubai had the excuse to build a tourism based economy by cheating with cheap labour, otherwise dubai is a great place
nuff said
From what I know China's labour is very cheap, and way under paid then Dubai's labour force, not to mention extremly bad work condition's ( and pollution ), not even close to UAE.

I see Dubai's construction worker's swimming, and sun tanning on break's, and after work.
noir-dresses no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #719
saeed
KING SAEED III

Ok, lets correct something here: I am a manager of a construction company in Dubai, and we are trying so hard to survive at the period of financial crisis here, and we are doing fine so far. Our only and first concern is paying our salaries to all our labour because of the restrict laws in the country! we delayed the salaries this month for example and a labour inspector showed up yesterday ( thursday) in our office checking and informing us that our company file is black listed for this delay!!!! This is the reality we have here!
Its a stereo type that we are stuck with here. We are in the middle east, and we are sorrounded by countries that might have really some issues with labour, but not Dubai!
And pleeeeeeeeeease if you are american dont forget to look around and count how many millions of illegal mexican immigrant labours ( more than 10 million I think) that are working for pennys in every part of the country!!
and you say corruption?!! I mean you are just using big words to sound convincing!
I have a suggestion, if you love buildings then lets be cool and try to visit Dubai, you might love it too!......
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:47 AM   #720
boschb
boschb

i wasnt comparing with china?
dubai's economy is corrupted as most economys are, and there is labour issues in dubai, many construction companys fail to pay there workers
plus there government has a big issue with people paying debts, many peoples passports have been taken away and people have been imprisoned, thats a vialation to human rights
the corruption is true, dubai still has to change its systems, for gods sake the laws have not changed there in many years, the laws are corrupt, or maybe dubai is just different in a bad way, i don't know what im talking about anyway

Last edited by boschb; September 18th, 2010 at 04:01 AM.

Tags
dubai