daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #1201
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15918

Final design of Shanghai City Hotel, 270m, 58 floors.
Final design. Looks awesome!

Current status (July)

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM   #1202
ldd
Your royal highness

Likes (Received): 123

I just come from Chongqing and am really impressed by the current skyline and all the plans that will enhance the skyline to a worldclass supertall cluster. I hope to be in Chongqing after ten years and expect not to recognize the city anymore. Though...

...I am also worried about the developments which don't keep pace with social development, where people need to adapt in a few years to a totally different environment. Now you can see people eating noodles in the street and having chicken walking in their yard, between the already built skyscrapers. How will this look like in ten years if people in Chongqing don't change so fast their attitude / behaviour?

...I am also worried because the many skyscrapers I have seen in China, also in Chongqing, are poor in quality and especially in detail / fine-tuning. So many skyscrapers even now still being clad with bathroom-tiles, so many painted concrete walls, so many windows that actually don't fit...

Concluding, I am curious to come back to Chongqing in 10 years, have high hopes and high fears in one.
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1203
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldd View Post
Now you can see people eating noodles in the street and having chicken walking in their yard, between the already built skyscrapers. How will this look like in ten years if people in Chongqing don't change so fast their attitude / behaviour?
They are so called rural migrant workers who have meals in the construction sites. That's a very special case that shouldn't be generalised, steet vendor will be kept for always though because it's an asian tradition.

Quote:
So many skyscrapers even now still being clad with bathroom-tiles
That's the heritage of the fast development of the 90's and early 2000. Don't think it's still the case for now. The number of this kind of building is pretty few, some of which used much higher end materials than bathroom-tiles too.

Quote:
so many painted concrete walls
I don't see what's so bad about this. What about rock houses of Europe? What about concrete houses without painting? Isn't that even worse? Plus painted buidlings is a very good way to neutralise glassy buildings that look quite cold and spiritless.

Last edited by tiger; August 15th, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #1204
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
That's the heritage of the fast development of the 90's and early 2000. Dont' think it's still the case for now. Also the number of this kind of building is pretty few.
Well I think that there are too many crappy buildings of the 90s most big cities in China, including in some of the best districts like Shanghai Jing'an district. I wish they all were either pulled down or totally renovated. But there are sooo many ugly office midrises residential blocks like these everywhere.

They should release some monster-budget national plan to renovate/redevelop facades and sidewalks. Most cities would look far more wealthy and pleasant. They will do something like this soon or late I guess.

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1205
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Well I think that there are too many crappy buildings of the 90s most big cities in China, including in some of the best districts like Shanghai Jing'an district. I wish they all were either pulled down or totally renovated. But there are sooo many ugly office midrises residential blocks like these everywhere.
It's true. More importantly is that they occupied the most prominent position of some major streets because they were developed the first. There's an area called Xin Nan Hu in Chongqing where all the buidlings are pleasant but the ones alongside the major street. It's very annoying because people will think the whole area is like those crappy buildings but the fact is not like what they saw.

Quote:
They should release some monster-budget national plan to renovate/redevelop facades and sidewalks. Most cities would look far more wealthy and pleasant. They will do something like this soon or late I guess.
I agree that it's a must-do. Just wait the cities become developed.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #1206
ldd
Your royal highness

Thanks for your replies! I agree with most of the comments, though with social change I do not only refer to the constructors or the migrant workers, but also to the people who have been living for many years in Chongqing. For example, I walked from the river up the mountain in the city centre towards one of the cable cars and had to cross an older area where people where living completely differently than elsewhere. Also next to the waterfront I have seen highrises with traders (?) on the ground floor with thousands of carton boxes with goods of I don't know, but all boxes where on the pavement and it was a big mess. This is not an incident I guess, but a street scene pur sang China, which will really need to change I think. Also the behaviour in terms of queueing, driving, walking etc. etc. of some (many?) Chinese people is totally different than that in big cities with skyscrapers like I have seen all over the world... I don't want to insult Chinese people, some of them are really nice, but it's such a big contrast with the high rises and skyscrapers...

About the painted concrete, in North-America and Europe this is really not done, at least since ten or twenty years. And the tiles, you see them everywhere in China, and also in new buildings under construction. Sometimes it can be nice, but mostly it looks ugly.
Old August 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM   #1207
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Hey, what's wrong with street market chaos? It's charming. Some countries develop faster than their people, and China is the world's fastest developing country. People will need a little more time to reach the standards of highly developed societies in some of those issues, it's quite understandable.

On the other hand, you wont find certain things in Chongqing that are very common in other places. Such as the white trash you can find in the suburbs of western developed countries, "dangerous" looking youngsters, racist gangs who beat immigrants, alcoholics, junkies, etc. Many people may not respect queues in China, but I you wont find the aggressiveness you are used to deal with in your home country, people who treat their parents like shit, etc. Different problems in different countries. Btw, ntice that foreigners don't come to our Western cities to tell us about the social problems that need to be changed like the ones I mentioned (dangerous teens, junkies, etc), maybe we should learn to respect the differences, or maybe the big problem is that our own social problems have no solution and therefore nobody expects we will solve them.

Last edited by z0rg; August 16th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #1208
ldd
Your royal highness

You're right, each country has its own (social) problems. Nevertheless, this thread is about Chongqing, where a lot of fantastic skyscrapers are being built, but where the physical changes of highrises is - imho - not in line with the speed of social development of the people. That's it, please don't be angry I repeat to hope to visit Chongqing again in about ten years and be stunned about the skyline by then!
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #1209
SilentStrike

Likes (Received): 192

well said zorg.
SilentStrike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #1210
deepblue01

Likes (Received): 66

yeah, i agree with you. Over time, the people in China will be more well off than before. There may still be poor people, but there will be less of them, people's views will change, positive influence from other countries and growing local respect will lead to a happier society.
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #1211
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6268

actually the more rich a society gets the shallower and more unhappy the people get, that tends to be a trend. Crime and social problems tend to spike also. Hopefully China may be able to keep this in check, maybe not.

-About growing 'local respect' I think the Chinese have alot of that in their societies already, they may not be great at queueing but they are openly friendly, non judgmental, and noone ever lays a hand on each other. A lack of crime and class division has also stopped people from walling themselves off from each other, looking down on others, or the society splinter into rival groups.

For all the claims of uncivilised behaviour from Westerners people there walk home alone, in any area in China at any time of night, standout behaviour is met with looks, not insult, arguments are met with words not fists, drunkenness with humour not aggression, and skimpy clothing with smiles not catcalls, or worse. Yes Chinese cities and society may be messy, and brusque, that seems so offensive to certain tourists, but don't ever think its from a less civilised position. Just a different one.

This is the difference in cultures -Western democracies uphold freedom and justice, with a patina of respect that requires high maintenance to hold back the individualistic excesses of the people, whilst Chinese society more values harmony and stability, in day to day action rather than day to day symbolism, that can sometimes disregard social niceties as superficial. These different approaches are reflected in the way the societies work. I don't think anyone from either society should judge a whole people on how messy their street is, but on how the people function within that society.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; August 18th, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #1212
urheimait

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg
Such as the white trash you can find in the suburbs of western developed countries, "dangerous" looking youngsters, racist gangs who beat immigrants, alcoholics, junkies, etc
I´m afraid that in the future China will have all that rubbish as her Western counterparts ... (but with "yellow" trash instead of "white" trash)
urheimait no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #1213
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

yep, maybe. Lets get back on topic
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #1214
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Is the top going to be one of those animated screens?

Old August 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1215
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Hopefully.

Old August 19th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #1216
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

More pics by iLH.
Lanko Intl Mansion, 330m, 72 floors.

Sheraton twins, 2x218m

Crowne Plaza, 2x210m

Xinhua Intl, 240m

Westin Hotel, 245m

Cathay Opera

Old August 19th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #1217
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17814

Chongqing kicks off construction of oil shale tentative project

BEIJING, Aug. 18 (Xinhua) – A tentative oil shale development project began construction in southwestern China's Chongqing municipality on Monday, Chongqing Daily reported.

The project, located in Qijiang county of Chongqing, is expected to supply Chongqing with oil shale gas within the next three to five years.

Oil shale gas is a special natural gas product extracted from oil shale mines.

Zhang Dawei, an official with the Ministry of Land and Resources who witnessed the inauguration, said the project stands as a milestone for China's oil and gas industry, providing a new way to develop energy in the country.

Zhang said that the Qijiang oil shale project was chosen as a key national development project so as to explore for additional natural gas from new sources.

Sichuan Basin, which covers Sichuan province and Chongqing, ranks as China's largest oil shale field with an estimated reserve of 1 billion cubic meters of standard gas.

Besides conventional energy such as oil, natural gas and coal, energy-thirsty China is also looking for new energy sources such as oil shales and sands to fuel its rapidly growing economy.

Energy-savings and the emission reduction strategy are also adopted for environmental protection reasons.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1218
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

L Place twins, by iLH.

Old August 19th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #1219
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Pics taken on August 19th by 达历山德罗.

Lanko Intl Mansion, 330m. The ugly midrise is being renovated by Shui On.

Westin Hotel plot, 245m.

Sheraton, 2x218m and Crowne Plaza, 2x210m.

Xinhua Intl Building, 240m

Poly Tower, 300m

Old August 27th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #1220
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Chongqing Science Museum. By 重庆小龙(LONG) at Flickr.
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cqxl/3858487005/

Tags
chongqing