daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #61
card04

Likes (Received): 0

I haven't been to Toronto since 2000, the change will be amazing, and all this in only a 10 year span. If it keeps up this pace all. I have to say is look out Chicago.
card04 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #62
cassius

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoLover2

this is toronto's approx look in 2010, i noticed the bay alderede centre is out
Yeah, I did that a few years ago so it's fairly outdated now. BCEIII is very unlikely to be built (it was unlikely at the time I did the rendering too) and the Bay Adelaide Centre shown there has since changed design and multiplied by 3.

Also missing in it now are London on The Esplanade (not sure of height), Libeskind's Hummingbird Tower (619ft) if it gets the go-ahead, the 2 Bay Adelaide towers (715ft & 590ft) as well as a few CityPlace towers in the background I've missed. Even Maple Leaf Square (610ft & 571ft) might be visible from that angle.
cassius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:31 AM   #63
TorontoLover2
BANNED

NUMBER 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by card04
I haven't been to Toronto since 2000, the change will be amazing, and all this in only a 10 year span. If it keeps up this pace all. I have to say is look out Chicago.
TORONTO ALREADY HAS MORE SKYSCRApers than chicago.

ABOUT 600 MORE
TorontoLover2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #64
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

LMAO!!!!

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #65
will.exe

Likes (Received): 4

well, if im not mistaken it does according to SSP...but i do think Chicago has more
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #66
LordMandeep

Likes (Received): 12

Toronto has mostly a lot of apartment buildings.

However Chivago has many more buildings especially tall ones in its core.
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #67
Canadian Chocho

C'mon Chicago has to have more. And if we do are you sure the difference is by 600.

1 2 3
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #68
Martinsizon

Likes (Received): 1

TO has more high rises but chicago has more skyscrapers
Martinsizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:00 AM   #69
Martinsizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe
well, if im not mistaken it does according to SSP...but i do think Chicago has more
That lists is for highrises (12+ floors).

TORONTO LOVER 2 IS JUST TRYING TO STIR UP A CITY VS CITY ARGUMENT
Martinsizon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #70
valantino
The Greatest

BCEIII is very unlikely to be built

it's being pre-leased so anything is possible
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #71
salvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.exe
No... Chicago really does have considerably less high-rises than TO. Obviously, it has considerably more supertalls; in fact, it leads this field in NA. There was a debate a long time ago about this, takes me back to the old days of SSC.

Last edited by salvius; August 12th, 2006 at 09:53 AM.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM   #72
marblewonder
I ♥ NY

architecture in toronto will still be ugly due to the fact that it's boom was mostly in the 1960s (ugh). if toronto wants to look beautiful people need to start getting rid of the old, bland buildings and start building more modern ones.

edit: its also a shame the CN Tower makes the buildings look about half the size that they should look.

Last edited by marblewonder; August 12th, 2006 at 11:00 AM.
marblewonder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #73
LordMandeep

true i did watch a video from the late 70d's, and Toronto looked like a very wierd different place. It could have been more liveable and such but this all started to change in the 1990d's with scotia bank and BCE place.

TD centre is 60's building built right. I think Toronto will be mish mash of old and new buildings.
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #74
Canadian Chocho

I wonder if Stinson's gunna propose another tall building and get everyone's hopes up and then crush them somehow.

1 2 3
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:29 PM   #75
Hankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
Yeah, I did that a few years ago so it's fairly outdated now. BCEIII is very unlikely to be built (it was unlikely at the time I did the rendering too) and the Bay Adelaide Centre shown there has since changed design and multiplied by 3.

Also missing in it now are London on The Esplanade (not sure of height), Libeskind's Hummingbird Tower (619ft) if it gets the go-ahead, the 2 Bay Adelaide towers (715ft & 590ft) as well as a few CityPlace towers in the background I've missed. Even Maple Leaf Square (610ft & 571ft) might be visible from that angle.
I love that rendering of future Toronto! Wonderful density! And to think that there are more projects to come that are not shown in the rendering. I think Canadian cities in general are skyscraper lover's paradises. Keep 'em coming!
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #76
salvius

Quote:
Originally Posted by marblewonder
architecture in toronto will still be ugly due to the fact that it's boom was mostly in the 1960s (ugh). if toronto wants to look beautiful people need to start getting rid of the old, bland buildings and start building more modern ones.

edit: its also a shame the CN Tower makes the buildings look about half the size that they should look.
I think you need to learn some more facts about this city... Firstly, there was no city boom 'mostly in the 60s.' Simple look at the history will tell you that.

Secondly, tearing down modernist designs is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Many of these designs are fantastic (city hall, TD come to mind); there's lots of crap that was built, just like there's lots of crap being built now and before the 60s: TO is hardly different in this regard from most cities. Post-Victorians tried agressively to get rid of Victorian architecture, modernists tried to get rid of everything before them, post-modernists the same, etc. Your suggestion is incredibly myopic.
salvius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #77
will.exe

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvius
Secondly, tearing down modernist designs is the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard. Many of these designs are fantastic (city hall, TD come to mind); there's lots of crap that was built, just like there's lots of crap being built now and before the 60s: TO is hardly different in this regard from most cities. Post-Victorians tried agressively to get rid of Victorian architecture, modernists tried to get rid of everything before them, post-modernists the same, etc. Your suggestion is incredibly myopic.
Exactly, every generation wants to get rid of evidence of the previous generation because ours must be better, more progressive, etc, etc...but keep in mind that every architectural era was a stepping stone to where we are now, and should be respected as such.
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #78
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

"if toronto wants to look beautiful people need to start getting rid of the old, bland buildings and start building more modern ones."

The huge flaw in your logic, is that was exactly what they were doing back in the 60's.

Another flaw is your idea that they were bad modern architecture...some were better than others, but 60's modernism is just wildly under appreciated....and Toronto has a pretty good inventory of pretty good 60's buildings on average...considering it was in the process of adding so much in the 60's, while most north american cities were imploding at the time. I think 1968 alone saw about 200 highrise apartment building built.

The 70's was a boom for offices, but there was somewhat of a hole in residential highrises....that's why Toronto was in such a housing shortage at the time...big population growth with a shortage of apartment building. But it did prove to be a silver lining which breathed new life into our decaying old nabes, which are today one of the old city's best attributes.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #79
LordMandeep

it wierd, some apartments are so ghetto, while others across the streett are nicely kept and nice.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #80
TorontoLover3.0
BANNED

Toronto is the head of the Nation, Calgary's jelous
TorontoLover3.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote