daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Skyscraper News & Discussion

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 1841

Opera House -a wonder of the world!

well only matter of time. One of the worlds great bldgs got heritage listed yesterday. Next step is world heritage listed which will be in next few years.

Opera House placed on heritage list

July 12, 2005 -

Australian icon the Sydney Opera House has been placed on the National Heritage List.

Heritage Minister Ian Campbell says the federal government will now work with their NSW counterparts to get the Opera House placed on the World Heritage List.

The concept of an opera house was first championed by conductor Eugene Goossens, who in 1947 suggested Australia needed a fine concert hall.

After a number of years, the government showed interest in his proposal and in 1956 announced a international competition to find a designer for the building.

Danish architect Jorn Utzon was chosen in 1957 to design the opera house, which was eventually opened by the Queen in 1973.

Senator Campbell said the Sydney Opera House was a vital part of Australia's cultural heritage and worthy of protection on the heritage list.

"The Opera House is an extraordinary presence in the hub of Sydney Harbour, with its sculptural beauty and architectural mastery," he said.

"Its construction marked the end of Australia's cultural cringe and put us on the world stage, revealing a confidence in the international standing of our own heritage and culture.

Advertisement
Advertisement"It is timely that, more than 30 years on, we acknowledge the importance of the Sydney Opera House as part of our national heritage."

CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #2
Blue_Copper

Likes (Received): 0

About time! this is great
Blue_Copper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #3
Fabian
Sydney: World's best city

This has been long due for one of Australia's best buildings. I would of prefered that this was done earlier.

Fab Sydney Flashbacks
Fabian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #4
CULWULLA

Another Sydney icon recieved heritage status this week. NORTH HEAD @ manly.
The 100m high cliff wall is now classified under natural Heritage act.

the North head area was the first thing the early settlers saw before coing into the harbour.

Old May 15th, 2006, 12:37 AM   #5
Grollo
Developer

Likes (Received): 369

I think most people would have thought that the opera house was already on the National Heritage List.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6
CULWULLA

^ yeah it has been on local registry for a while. Sometimes National listing takes years to achieve status.even a well known landmark like sop.
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:05 AM   #7
CULWULLA

ok guys, time to make opera house one of the new 7 wonders of the world!
please vote here>
www.new7wonders.com

heres are the 21 candidates.stiff competition.

my 7=
colesseum
easter is statues
great wall
eiffel tower
pyramids
opera house!
hagia sophia

Last edited by CULWULLA; August 9th, 2006 at 01:18 AM.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 08:38 AM   #8
The Olderfleet
Gothic enthusiast!

The notion of the Opera House being a "wonder" is a tad ridiculous. Come on - to be a wonder, it has to have mystery to it which the Opera House does not!

But I am very pleased to see it added to the National Heritage List, which is well overdue. To be frank, I am surprised it was not included previously!

I have a question about the World Heritage Listing - do you believe it would have a strong enough case to be listed? From the Commonwealth Department of Environment and Heritage:

For a property to be included on the World Heritage List as cultural heritage, the World Heritage Committee must find that it meets one or more of the following criteria, the test of authenticity and be adequately protected. Sites nominated should therefore:

i. represent a masterpiece of human creative genius; or

ii.exhibit an important interchange of human values, over a span of time or within a cultural area of the world, on developments in architecture or technology, monumental arts, town-planning or landscape design; or

iii. bear a unique or at least exceptional testimony to a cultural tradition or to a civilization which is living or which has disappeared; or

iv. be an outstanding example of a type of building or architectural or technological ensemble or landscape which illustrates (a) significant stage(s) in human history; or

v. be an outstanding example of a traditional human settlement or land-use which is representative of a culture (or cultures), especially when it has become vulnerable under the impact of irreversible change; or

vi. be directly or tangibly associated with events or living traditions, with ideas, or with beliefs, with artistic and literary works of outstanding universal significance (the Committee considers that this criterion should justify inclusion in the List only in exceptional circumstances and in conjunction with other criteria cultural or natural);

I am not against having it listed but am uncertain it could adequetly meet these challenges.... What do you think? It would be interesting to ave a discussion about this as I am keen to see what everyone else thinks...

I doubt it could classify under point i. As for point iv., it does not represent a significant stage in human history. So I think it might be a bit of a long shot... but who knows?!
The Olderfleet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #9
MG2

Likes (Received): 12

It only needs to meet one of those listed criteria... I believe it achieves at least two (i and iv) without question so it should have no trouble being listed.

MG2
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #10
The Olderfleet
Gothic enthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG2
It only needs to meet one of those listed criteria... I believe it achieves at least two (i and iv) without question so it should have no trouble being listed.

MG2
What significant stage of human history does it represent?
The Olderfleet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 01:37 PM   #11
ryan79
Destorying our history

Likes (Received): 440

Sorry but to be realistic the SOH would be in the bottom of that list. No offence cos I like it and its great but be realistic.

After seeing the Eiffel Tower in person I'd put it below the SOH.
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #12
zach24

Likes (Received): 1

the eiffel tower is great
but it is simple to re-create
it is not exactly an engineering marvel
zach24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #13
ryan79
Destorying our history

Yeah its great, but I think below SOH.
Old August 10th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #14
coastal

The Sydney Opera House does without doubt represent a masterpiece of human creative genius

And quite possibly it bears an exceptional testimony to a civilization which is living

It deserves a listing
coastal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #15
CULWULLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach24
the eiffel tower is great
but it is simple to re-create
it is not exactly an engineering marvel
it was for 1889! the architect (Eiffel) was basically a bridge designer and he turned a structure straight up 300m high, to become worlds tallest man-made structure. quite a feat really.
just on SOH, alot of people forget its a 195o's design not 1970's so for its time it was amaizng. it definatley deserves a listing as a "new" marvel. some on that list are old wonders.
Its one of the most photographed and recognised bldgs in t he world.Its architecture is timeless.
Old August 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #16
Brizer

Likes (Received): 1171

As a matter of fact, the Eiffel Tower is significant for two reasons:
- it was the first time man had achieved a structure that was so tall (despite the predictions of all the nay sayers who said it would fall down; the religious 'right' of the time calling it an affront to God! Tower of Babel and all that stuff);
- it changed the way that man saw and perceived the environment b/c for the first time he could see the city as a bird could see it and it was different from how it had been seen before. To point out the obvious this had a significant influence on the development of modern architecture and townplanning.

It is easy to assume that what is obvious or accepted now has always been so; it usually wasn't.
Brizer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #17
CULWULLA

well said.
the tower eiffel is grand.

Old August 10th, 2006, 12:15 PM   #18
ryan79
Destorying our history

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
it was for 1889! the architect (Eiffel) was basically a bridge designer and he turned a structure straight up 300m high, to become worlds tallest man-made structure. quite a feat really.
just on SOH, alot of people forget its a 195o's design not 1970's so for its time it was amaizng. it definatley deserves a listing as a "new" marvel. some on that list are old wonders.
Its one of the most photographed and recognised bldgs in t he world.Its architecture is timeless.
A fair point on SOH - it certainly deserves to be in the modern marvel listing.
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:03 AM   #19
CULWULLA

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html
next tuesday the OH will be visited by the team of International officials which will scrutize its credentials for its wonder status.
Its the youngest of all wonders left.
Unlike some of nominees, itsa live and working structure and focal point for the city!

be good if next Tuesday is a nice sunny day on harbour. may have to cue the tugs with sprays !
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #20
crawf
©

Likes (Received): 165

On the outside the Sydney Opera House looks amazing, but ive been told it looks woeful inside...