daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2006, 05:02 AM   #181
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

1 WTC - David Childs
2 WTC - Norman Foster
3 WTC - Richard Rogers
4 WTC - Fumihiko Maki
5 WTC - Undecided

The designs will be unveiled September 20th.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #182
Sir P von
Gordon Gekko

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer
1 WTC - David Childs
2 WTC - Norman Foster
3 WTC - Richard Rogers
4 WTC - Fumihiko Maki
5 WTC - Undecided

thanks, can't wait to see them! do you reckon these will be definitive, unlike the previous freedom tower contest winner's design? how is it in NYC anyway? in the netherlands it's always a big hassle to get something built, even it were just a 7 ft tall shed in your backyard
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #183
TowerPower
Ashld-biggest little city

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
You're right.

Burj Dubai complex is another story. one 1000+ footer, and that's it.
Try 2. Burj Dubai Lake Hotel, 306 m.
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #184
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir P von
what a surprise. new york gains momentum in the skyscrapercity race of booming cities. as chris finch in bbc's the office put it: respect your elders, and do not f*** with the big boys.

i myself am not american, but i do enjoy this whole dick measuring contest being won by the americans. everyone just loves slacking off the US nowadays, which pisses me off. the biggest hypocrits in the world can be found in the middle east instead of the US. terrorist ought to fly planes (figuratively speaking) in arabian skyscrapers cause it's those shop-a-holic oil sheiks that ruin the prospects of their own people. health and education for the poor, or a 2,000 ft skyscraper? hmm.. that's just my narrow-minded vision of the world. i'm sure NYC has higher priorities than new supertalls as well.

back to the topic: who are the architects of the three other big 'uns again? and when can we expect to see their designs?
Steady on ther UAE you think there in lala land in terms of health and education? Seriously alot of the kingdoms in the middle east have turned around well don't be a fool. The big dick thing comes from all corners of the globe, NYC not competing is like the english quiting cricket.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #185
jacobboyer

Quote:
1 WTC - David Childs
2 WTC - Norman Foster
3 WTC - Richard Rogers
4 WTC - Fumihiko Maki
5 WTC - Undecided

Hopefully all of them will be glass wall facade.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:26 AM   #186
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower
Try 2. Burj Dubai Lake Hotel, 306 m.
Mabey they forget about BB and the marina to.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #187
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
1 WTC - David Childs
2 WTC - Norman Foster
3 WTC - Richard Rogers
4 WTC - Fumihiko Maki
5 WTC - Undecided

What is the style of each?
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #188
LeCom

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
old WTC pics..

take notice of the area around the towers, not just the construction of the two towers.
I "like" how the Washington Street swash is barren, nothing north of Barclay-Vesey Building for blocks and blocks. Alro remember that much of the Downtown East Side was in the same phase as they were clearing out land for those massive riverside towers.

I also "like" how they had to remove one of the Hudson Terminal towers for nothing but making way for the plaza. Notice it still standing there on the pictures.

And what's that crap in place of 7 WTC?
LeCom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:00 AM   #189
sfenn1117

The old piers and the elevated highway catch my eye too. It's crazy how this area went from being one of the grittiest areas of Manhattan to one of the most sterile.

My aunt actually worked in Barclay Vesey for the phone company from the late 60s to the early 90s. She watched the trade center go up, and then ate lunch there almost everyday. I find it wild that she saw that scene in person.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #190
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir P von
what a surprise. new york gains momentum in the skyscrapercity race of booming cities. as chris finch in bbc's the office put it: respect your elders, and do not f*** with the big boys.

i myself am not american, but i do enjoy this whole dick measuring contest being won by the americans. everyone just loves slacking off the US nowadays, which pisses me off. the biggest hypocrits in the world can be found in the middle east instead of the US. terrorist ought to fly planes (figuratively speaking) in arabian skyscrapers cause it's those shop-a-holic oil sheiks that ruin the prospects of their own people. health and education for the poor, or a 2,000 ft skyscraper? hmm.. that's just my narrow-minded vision of the world. i'm sure NYC has higher priorities than new supertalls as well.

back to the topic: who are the architects of the three other big 'uns again? and when can we expect to see their designs?
at least someone knows what the **** theyre talking about when it comes to NYC. I respect it.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:35 AM   #191
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle
Steady on ther UAE you think there in lala land in terms of health and education? Seriously alot of the kingdoms in the middle east have turned around well don't be a fool. The big dick thing comes from all corners of the globe, NYC not competing is like the english quiting cricket.
The thing that is going on here is that with light of all thats going on in the UAE, more specifically Dubai, the main skyscraper cities like Chicago and NYC still hold their ground. Its not Chicago and NYC falling out, its others catching up. Dont forget, NYC is still hustlin, we understand the spotlight is mainly on China and Dubai, but ****, dont act as if shit back here has stopped, cause it hasnt. Theres more revitalization here than you think.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #192
jacobboyer

New York really screwed its self when they built the projects aka the ugly brown buildings that look like bunkers and just now is it fixing that. That should really jolt New York City up in the rankings. I thought the world trade centers were toward the middle of manhattan did they expand the island or something.
jacobboyer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #193
Spooky873
BANNED

you mean the dime a dozen brown buildings with the water tanks on top? Thats what is New York.

They have been, and are tearing alot down to make way for newer projects, as opposed to a vast desert with nothing to demolish. Kinda slows shit down a bit.
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:00 AM   #194
Spooky873
BANNED

I just love how some ppl think NYC is down and out.
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #195
sfenn1117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobboyer
I thought the world trade centers were toward the middle of manhattan did they expand the island or something.

30 years ago.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 08:50 AM   #196
ggmm

Likes (Received): 2

How can people dare to compare New York City with a city that just appeared on the map recently!! There's no point of comparison, and will never be.
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #197
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

The old brown buildings mixed with the new represent the growth and progression of a city like NY with so many years of vibrant history, you cant forget that. Where as Dubai is trying to put together a metropolis overnight, the two are incomparable.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #198
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I like the tenacious attitude there is in Dubai...airport city, tallest building in the world, palm jumeira, ali baba watchamacall it oh yeah dubai land, and one giant strip of talls and supertalls. Fantastic but let's keep this thread about 1 world trade and can the dubai humpers alike enjoy fantasy land in the dubai threads....

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM   #199
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
It won't dethrone 1 WTC in terms of height. It's my... theory... that the spire of 1 WTC is being redesigned to make it look like an actual spire rather than the antenna it currently is. It will give the tower the presence claimed by its height, which is 1776 feet. Tower 2 won't have a spire and will be limited to 1300+ feet but don't be surprised if architectural critics and enthusiasts favor it over tower 1. Norman Foster's a badass and he will produce a very imposing skyscraper.

Towers 3 and 4 are no joke either... and really now lets not forget the Goldman Sachs World Headquarters. It is basically the same site and is going up simultaneously with Tower 1 and with a price tag of $2B, I don't think they'll skimp out on the exterior facade. It will be a great hi-rise despite its sub-1000ft status.
Foster=badass lol. Its true though he is good. But I guess who really cares if Foster's tower looks better cause I just want the cluster to be the most amazing ever.
Old August 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #200
blackhawk08

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
I just love how some ppl think NYC is down and out.
People would have to be insane to think that.