daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2006, 06:34 AM   #261
bustero

Likes (Received): 10

true, an iconic beautiful building is ussually more popular than a really tall bland one. A good case in point is the Empire State Building versus the old Twin Towers. For the longest time WTC even Sears was unloved compared to ESB. Height is great but concentrate on the quality first. The most interesting buildings from an architectural point of view are not neccesarily the tallest. Besides cities and countries which build these ussually want to make a name for themselves and put themselves on the map, NY doesn't really need it , it's already there.

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #262
matt_sbs

Likes (Received): 5

Cheers for the update
Old August 30th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #263
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexAmericanMoose
why didn't they just make it the world's tallest building? i am guessing that that is too much to ask, but seriously, that would be badass....we would once again have the tallest skyscraper in the world....it deserves to be in America (yeah, i am patriotic and nationalistic...so what?)
Why should they build an 800-1000m tall tower??
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:56 PM   #264
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

you gotta realize the majority of us nyers both on and off this forum just dont give a **** about supertalls. we just want what we lost reclaimed.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #265
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
you gotta realize the majority of us nyers both on and off this forum just dont give a **** about supertalls. we just want what we lost reclaimed.
exactly, I wish we can get the old towers back but w/e this one is cool too..
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 04:34 AM   #266
MIKETHENIGHT

Likes (Received): 0

I felt the sameway, put them back the way they were
MIKETHENIGHT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 08:41 PM   #267
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

The reason for supporting the rebuilding of the Twins is b/c they were a worldwide symbol.
Old September 1st, 2006, 01:19 AM   #268
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

will the new obserbation floor be outdoors?? like the old WTC was?? here I am back in 1985.....

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 02:01 AM   #269
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC
will the new obserbation floor be outdoors?? like the old WTC was?? here I am back in 1985.....

lol get a look of this guy....lol jk, awesome stuff its cool to keep these cool memories....
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:05 AM   #270
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

great job Altind... construction updates even while on vacation

Has there been a more dedicated ssc member?
Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 05:45 AM   #271
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaRaJeVo-City
lol get a look of this guy....lol jk, awesome stuff its cool to keep these cool memories....
thANKS GOD I GREW UP !!!!

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #272
Spooky873
BANNED

NY Sun

Developer, Architects Set To Unveil Ground Zero Designs

By DAVID LOMBINO - Staff Reporter of the Sun
September 1, 2006

Designs for the east side of the former World Trade Center site will come to light on Thursday in a press conference featuring developer Larry Silverstein, officials from the Port Authority, and three acclaimed architects, Sir Norman Foster, Lord Richard Rogers, and Fumihiko Maki.

While the design of the Freedom Tower and the World Trade Center Memorial have been through a bumpy public review process, the plans for the three soaring office towers proposed along Church Street have been sealed off behind closed doors. The three buildings will contain about 6.2 million square feet of office space, and will share a common podium and underground infrastructure, including retail space.

Messrs. Rogers and Maki were officially named as architects in May, joining Mr. Foster and a bevy of other star architects working at ground zero. Since then, architects and engineers from their firms have been sharing office space and drawing up designs on the 25th floor of 7 World Trade Center, overlooking the site.

The site's Master Plan, conceived by architect Daniel Libeskind, calls for three towers along Church Street with slanted roofs, descending in height from north to south.

Mr. Silverstein said this week that it was a challenge to work with "three major egos," but he said that the result was "three truly magnificent architectural buildings."

The executive director of the New York chapter of the American Institute of Architects, Fredric Bell, said the announcement would end five years of anticipation regarding the final look of ground zero.

"This is a big deal. We are building another city here by most city's standards of urban planning," Mr. Bell said. "So far, the cards have been held pretty close to the chest."

Mr. Bell said that selecting three well-known architects was a "safe bet," but he said there is some fear in the architectural community that the designs "will have nothing to do with each other, nothing with the site, and nothing with the Master Plan."

The largest of the buildings, known as Tower 2, will be designed by Mr. Foster, whose work includes the recently completed Hearst Tower in Midtown and "The Gherkin" building in London. As planned, Tower 2 would be the fourth tallest building in New York.

To the south of the new transportation hub, designed by architect Santiago Calatrava, will be Mr. Rogers's Tower 3, slated to rise about 1,050 feet and contain about 2 million square feet of office space. Mr. Rogers is also one of the designers of the Javits Convention Center expansion. His previous projects include the Millennium Dome in London and the Pompidou Center in Paris.

The smallest tower, Tower 4, is designed by Mr. Maki, who won the Pritzker Prize in 1993. He is also designing a 35-story tower that will serve as a temporary home to the United Nations as its current residence is renovated.

For construction to proceed on the three buildings, the Port Authority, which owns the site and leases it to Mr. Silverstein, must complete the construction of an underground wall known as the "east bathtub," expected in mid-2008. Towers 3 and 4 are scheduled to be finished by 2011, and Tower 2 by 2012.

Last edited by Spooky873; September 1st, 2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:24 PM   #273
Spooky873
BANNED

there are inconsistencies with that article, author must be using outdated information. WTC Towers 1 and 2 with both be 1 and 2 tallest respectively in the city.
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM   #274
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
there are inconsistencies with that article, author must be using outdated information. WTC Towers 1 and 2 with both be 1 and 2 tallest respectively in the city.
That's right!

Also take note of:

"will have nothing to do with each other, nothing with the site, and nothing with the Master Plan."
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM   #275
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1155

Yes Tower2 will be somewhere in the 400m region.And the other around 350m+.But i am concerned about if the 3 towers will make the trade center optical not a center, because they can look very different to each other.We have here three architects with their own style of architecture.

Question.At what time exactly will they unveil the design?
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:36 PM   #276
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

11:00 AM NYC time on Thursday, but it may take a few hours before we get the info and renders.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM   #277
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

If only I can share with you, the wonders I have seen.

On Sept 7th, the skyscraper community will recognize the WTC project as the greatest on earth. Trust me on this. Nowhere else is there even an ambition to simultaneously erect four independently designed 1000+ footers standing back to back from each other. This is the very definition of Massive-Scale.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Last edited by Vengineer; September 1st, 2006 at 11:04 PM.
Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:17 PM   #278
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6530

really? 4 towers with over 300m? that'll be gigantic . i hope one of them is over 400m tall.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:37 PM   #279
Lee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 15

This will truly impress. I don't know what it looks like, but it will certainly be the greatest cluster of 1,000 scrapers on Earth. All right next to eachother! Just imagine standing in the memorial and looking up and seeing 4 monster 1000 footers!
Lee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:41 PM   #280
Spooky873
BANNED

but hey, everyone, NYC is down and out. remember?