daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #481
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

I just wanted to add that these aren't bad buildings per se, but they simply underwhelm as replacements for the WTC. Hong Kong, Dubai, and Shanghai have all put up better structures than these, and it's a shame that the richest nation in the world, the one that invented skyscrapers, isn't willing to build something of similar awe-inspiring grandeur.
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #482
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiconnoisseur
We gave world architects a tabula rasa, some of the most primo real estate in the world, and the best they could come up with after several years of bickering was a mish-mash of ill-matched designs. When else will Manhattan offer up 16 contiguous acres in the heart of a skyscraper district for development? Probably never.

Ground Zero could have become a new Rockefeller Center with a glittering centerpiece of technological power and glory, and instead it's been turned into a pathetic recreation of one of two dozen world city downtowns and a huge, bleak memorial. Unlike the Sears, Empire, and WTC buildings, nobody is going to be able to identify any of these generics out of a police lineup; they look like they could have been plucked from Shanghai, Dubai, or Hong Kong.

As I stated before, Yamasaki was a genius. He gave New York and America iconic structures of such POWER that even barbarians from halfway across the world recognized and grated against their imposing presence.
You just speak out of my heart!How is it possible that a such result came aout after nearly 5 years of work?I LOVE NEW YORK and NY needs something better than this.I cant repeat it often enough how it hurts that downtown will look how you said like an normal skyline with no identity.
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:30 PM   #483
Archiconnoisseur

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy
IMO A great design is more important than sheer power in this day and age. People want slick, elegant towers today, not big brutes like Sears.(Not that I have anything against Sears, I really like it, but I prefer more slender towers)
But these aren't great designs, and most polled AMERICANS demonstrate a preference for Yama's twins over these potential replacements.
Archiconnoisseur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #484
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

Personally I really like the master plan. Having one architect design all these buildings would have made for a boring repetitive design theme.

Having four of the best architects on the planet make each building with its own independent style is a better idea. I would have liked twins and some other uniquely styled buildings surrounding them, but now seeing what they've come up with, I can't complain.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #485
cincobarrio
Lurker

Likes (Received): 82

lol, most polled americans? i didn't know they could poll most of the nation in under 24 hours.
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:57 PM   #486
Gendo

double post. Arrgh.
Old September 7th, 2006, 10:58 PM   #487
Gendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower
On the last posted pic the FT and the Foster tower looks like "twins" and WTC3 and WTC4 looks also like "twins" with the gap between them.all in one i still think they could did a better job.
The "gap" is the subway station entrance. I haven't seen high quality rendings of that entrance in particular, but what little of it I see poking out behind 3 WTC in the renderings interests me.

I think 4 WTC was meant to more closely relate to 7 WTC. It seems to have more in common with that building's style.
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #488
TONIO DEL BARRIO

Likes (Received): 1

i proud for you, you have a good project, not very original but high. This part of manhattan need new high tower, without this project, it is so empty.

It is not so amazing as the WTC but it is hardly to forget the WTC.
TONIO DEL BARRIO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #489
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

Anyone notice how badly distorted 1 WTC is in most of today's renders? I wonder why that is. It's as if they tried a picassoesque method of showing all the sides of it at once.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:50 AM   #490
centreoftheuniverse
Not ******

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by germantower
How is it possible that a such result came aout after nearly 5 years of work?
Wrong.

Foster was hired to design #2 in December 2005 (8 months), Rogers and Maki was given the jobs for #3 and #4 just this past May (3 months!).

I say these guys did excellent work (particularly Foster and Rogers considering their detailed designs) in a few short months.
centreoftheuniverse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:55 AM   #491
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I just wanted to add that these aren't bad buildings per se, but they simply underwhelm as replacements for the WTC.
Well put.

I expected something iconic. Something that demands your attenion. I wanted something that inspired awe and humility and, in the case of terrorists, envy. That's what the original Twin Towers did.

These buildings barely evoke any emotional response at all. I have crapped out turds that were more memorable than these designs.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #492
blackhawk08

Likes (Received): 0

just got home, first thing i did was to check out the designs and my first reaction was... disappointing. i don't know why, i mean i like 2 and 1 but 3 and 4 are just disappointing, maybe it'll all grow on me. it just kind of looks like it doesn't belong there. you know what i mean?
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:15 AM   #493
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
We gave world architects a tabula rasa, some of the most primo real estate in the world, and the best they could come up with after several years of bickering was a mish-mash of ill-matched designs. When else will Manhattan offer up 16 contiguous acres in the heart of a skyscraper district for development? Probably never.

Ground Zero could have become a new Rockefeller Center with a glittering centerpiece of technological power and glory, and instead it's been turned into a pathetic recreation of one of two dozen world city downtowns and a huge, bleak memorial. Unlike the Sears, Empire, and WTC buildings, nobody is going to be able to identify any of these generics out of a police lineup; they look like they could have been plucked from Shanghai, Dubai, or Hong Kong.

As I stated before, Yamasaki was a genius. He gave New York and America iconic structures of such POWER that even barbarians from halfway across the world recognized and grated against their imposing presence.
Sorry but don't agree at all. The twins became the icons that you describe after they were destroyed. Of course they were iconic, they were the tallest buildings in NYC so of course they had to be. The 3 people I know from NYC hated the twins (and I'm sure a lot of others did aswell) before 9/11.
I don't know why people don't think these'll be iconic. Beforehand there were 2 very tall twins. Now there is one tower the same height as the old twins, another almost the same height, a third one that's well over 1000ft, and the 4th that's almost 1000ft.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #494
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by centreoftheuniverse
Wrong.

Foster was hired to design #2 in December 2005 (8 months), Rogers and Maki was given the jobs for #3 and #4 just this past May (3 months!).

I say these guys did excellent work (particularly Foster and Rogers considering their detailed designs) in a few short months.
Yes i know that the individual architects dont had 5 years time.But Silverstein had nearly 5 years.And it dont come in my mind how he can bring out this after 5 years.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #495
g.m.n.y.

Likes (Received): 26

having worked a few blocks away from the tt's for years up to 9/11, i can say personally that they never failed to evoke an emotional reaction. my eyes were always drawn to them, as though i could never quite believe what i was seeing. they were the absolute pinnacle of "brutal" architecture. massive, awesome, and audacious in scale, yet delicate and sculptural in detail. these new designs are fine, good even, but completely rational, intellectual.
the days of the grand gesture may be over in new york. no one will gaze up at these towers and think "wow".
g.m.n.y. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #496
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Wow! You guys never cease to amaze me. Nothing will satisfy you but keep nit picking because that's going to make you all feel better about it. To me individually the buildings look great. Mantle is right in that it really isn't a complex anymore but in the end it is filling a void and will look spectacular as a developed cluster of 300+ meter buildings. Some of you are really pathetic and need to know your place in all of this as it really is insignificant entirely as far as lower Manhattan's development is considered. I lost 6 friends and colleagues from 9/11 so forgive me if I am easy to accept and dismiss as this is secondary. The memorial looks great, the towers are fine and you boneheads reallllllly need to come to grips with reality. This is what we are getting and it aint too shabby at all.
GermanTower I am not surprised at all by your dissatisfaction as I see your ny comments as fluff. If these buildings went up in Dubai aside from tower 4, you would be humping the shit out of them. Archonisuer, while most "Americans" might pine over the original twins, guess how much their opinion matters? Zilch. I work for an architecture firm, Rbsd, downtown. I live blocks away from this.. my colleagues and neighbors may have loved or hated the twins but these have gotten great reviews and comments all day. My neighbors ( Non enthusiasts) Love it.

GermanTower: Just a correction... the future does not exist that is why it is called the future, some sheik's greed may exist but it aint the future honey and it won't last.
Congradulations New York City, you look spectacular.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #497
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.m.n.y.
the days of the grand gesture may be over in new york. no one will gaze up at these towers and think "wow".
Thats right cuz you know everyone. Just for that I am going to look up at them everyday and say wow. Nice one bud. As for grand gesture... nyc will last longer than u and I but yet you know everything. Good call.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #498
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Some say these towers won't cause people to look up and say "wow". Well I haven't been to NYC yet but was in Chicago and Tower 3 is close in height to the john hancock or the aon centre, they're both might impressive when you stand in front of them. And here tower 3 looks overshadowed by 2 taller ones.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #499
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

those towers do a great job helping to resurect that site i like the memorial idea too.
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #500
g.m.n.y.

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
Thats right cuz you know everyone. Just for that I am going to look up at them everyday and say wow. Nice one bud. As for grand gesture... nyc will last longer than u and I but yet you know everything. Good call.
defensive much? i lost friends on 9/11 too nygirl... doesn't mean i can't hope for the best possible replacement for the tt's.
g.m.n.y. no está en línea   Reply With Quote