daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 10th, 2006, 06:20 AM   #41
firulais2005

Likes (Received): 1

me too CANT WAIT
firulais2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2006, 08:58 PM   #42
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3663

Dispatch from Ground Zero

Five years is enough time for builders to construct a small city in China. In lower Manhattan, it’s only the first chapter for the big pit at Ground Zero. But finally it has begun to stir, with leaders coming together and construction starting for real.

Travel hundreds of feet down the long paved ramp into the construction zone, and the towers of Lower Manhattan seem twice as tall. There’s nothing natural about this canyon: To your left you glimpse the well known “slurry wall” of concrete and steel tie-backs, which keeps the Hudson River’s waters at bay. On this route downward you also pass directly over the Twin Towers’ impressive footprints. Teams have placed plywood boards over their outlines, and this construction zone remains still, except for the PATH train that zooms over part of the former south tower.

Not so at the northwest corner of the site, directly in front of the ramp, where a small team of about 20 construction workers is excavating down to bedrock and driving footings for the Freedom Tower. Workers are also taking down what’s left of the Twin Towers’ old parking garage, whose remains include rows of spiky rebar and cross-like column remnants; removing old sewer pipes to be sold for scrap; relocating utilities located between PATH tracks to allow room for more footings; preparing large woven metal blankets to place over blasting sites; dumping dirt, metal, and concrete into loading trucks.

Much of the ground is muddy, since groundwater continually seeps into the site and has to be pumped out. The outline of the future 1,776-foot-tall tower is marked with dumpsters and with piled dirt around the site’s edges.

Construction is banging, wheezing, and beeping away here and at the nearby permanent PATH station construction zone. But this is nothing compared to what the site will soon be. Ground Zero will be hosting $11.8 billion worth of construction in the next six years, according to the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, which oversees construction on the site. This includes super-tall World Trade Center towers 1 through 5, the memorial and museum, the new PATH station, Frank Gehry’s Performing Arts Center, and Snřhetta’s visitors’ center. Meanwhile, the five-block radius around Ground Zero will see more than $20 billion in construction by 2020. Most of it is residential, but also includes projects like the Fulton Street Transit Hub and the Goldman Sachs tower.

Merely organizing all of this construction will be a nightmare. For one, there will be immense traffic coming in and out of the site delivering workers, steel, cranes, newly mixed concrete, and so on. The Command Center and construction management firm Liro Group have developed a master timetable and 3D model of the development process to help time it all. They meet with all the construction teams—not to mention developer Larry Silverstein, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the Battery Park City Authority, New York State and City Departments of Transportation, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority—on a monthly basis.

“This kind of concentration of work is unprecedented,” says command center director Charles Maikish.

Of course all of this work could come to a stop. The insurance money being used to build many of the five office towers might be lost in court cases. Tenants for these buildings may not materialize. Politics, as usual, can still get in the way. After all, the cornerstone for the Freedom Tower, meant to signal the start of construction, was laid two years ago. But for now the banging and wheezing will get much louder, and Manhattan’s great void will be filled again. Hopefully.

Sam Lubell

Architectural Record : August 10, 2006

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #43
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Yeah, people dont really know exactly how much IS going on at the site. The most activity on a single site in the world. With its completion in 2012, it will help New York's economy bounce back, and itll go back to being third in office space following Midtown and the Loop.

the WTC is coming back folks.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #44
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
Yeah, people dont really know exactly how much IS going on at the site. The most activity on a single site in the world.
Bollocks.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #45
Ebola
BANNED

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysimo123
Bollocks.

It may not be true now, but just wait a few months. After all, "This kind of concentration of work is unprecedented."

On a side note,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
includes super-tall World Trade Center towers 1 through 5

Am I the only one who saw that?

Last edited by Ebola; August 10th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.
Ebola no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #46
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

/\you guys dont go out much, do you?

Impressive yes, but also very slow and far smaller than some Dubai/Shanghai etc projects!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 10:44 PM   #47
andysimo123
wind-up merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebola
It may not be true now, but just wait a few months. After all, "This kind of concentration of work is unprecedented."
It wont be and never will be. There isnt a site in the world with the most activity because it changes every few hours. One mintue your really busy and the next you have nowt to do. Thats what building work is like, I do it for a living.
andysimo123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #48
Spooky873
BANNED

Do you have any idea what the hell is going on there? Have you been there? Its importance? Bollocks? look in the mirror lately?
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #49
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
/\you guys dont go out much, do you?

Impressive yes, but also very slow and far smaller than some Dubai/Shanghai etc projects!

very slow? the project is getting underway, one tower is already completed, while 5 others remain, a transit hub, a memorial, and a museum. Smaller? In what sense? certainly not size and $$$. Are you really gonna use the Burj Dubai as a bigger project? Its one tower, the cost of that compared to the redevelopment of 6 towers, not to mention once this thing is completed the rebounding NY economy will get a huge boost. You have any idea what % of office space the WTC had alone? Itll generate more than I can say for some half a mile tall tower in Dubai. We actually need these towers rebuilt, were not in it for the pissing match that is the WTB.

explain yourself. that statement i made had already taken into account all the construction bullshit going on in Dubai and Shanghai so dont instantly assume im ignorant to that fact. This is a redevelopment going on here.
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #50
Ozzy
Jizzlobber

Likes (Received): 0

Never heard some much shite for along time im sorry but typical Americans
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #51
Spooky873
BANNED

$12 billion worth of construction over the next 6 years?

Yes, you can all play it off as if its just typical Americans being Americans. As you are just being typical critics. Do you really need some higher being to tell you as opposed to as 'typical Americans'?

It appears you underestimate the sheer importance of this site. It needs to be rebuilt, its the heart of the financial district in New York.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #52
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
very slow? the project is getting underway, one tower is already completed, while 5 others remain, a transit hub, a memorial, and a museum. Smaller? In what sense? certainly not size and $$$. Are you really gonna use the Burj Dubai as a bigger project?
^Indeed bollocks, which is the bigger building site:

[IMG]http://i6.************/154g51c.jpg[/IMG]

The Mall (a single site):

I think the site of the Burj has a 'tad' more activity going on and the WTC site will never compare in activity...

The Palms are pretty busy too:

I love the new design for this tower and I have from day one said that the only way to defeat Atta and his gang is to rebuild the site ASAP. People need to get behind this tower otherwise this site will remain empty..

Last edited by Sy; August 11th, 2006 at 01:43 AM.
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #53
1ajs

Likes (Received): 726

each floor had somthing like an acre of floor space.......... so imagin if your city lost that much office space
1ajs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:37 AM   #54
nygirl

Likes (Received): 430

I really hope none of the Americans here buy into this "typical-American" depracation because it generally comes from those that are bitter and smug. There is no typical American. What a load of horse - SHITE. We battle eachother, a nation of 200+ million people and we are all typical? There is so much hate for this nation I don't even think it matters if it's an administration these people really do hate us. How could so many people from democratic free loving nations not agree with overtrowing a totalitarian dictator, who happened to kill thousands of his own people, dismantling the government and bringing back to life a nation of brainwashed and terrified people. The best answer to that question is, because it's the Americans.
Is that the typical American? What a terrible way to think. I won't ruin this thread any longer and I apologize if you just wanted to see an update but I'll be the only one here who sticks up for us when some shmuck uses the phrase Typical Americans.

NAKED NEW YORK: A complete tour of New York City, 5 boroughs and immediate Metro: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2202
nygirl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:41 AM   #55
Nicholas.Navarro

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
I really hope none of the Americans here buy into this "typical-American" depracation because it generally comes from those that are bitter and smug. There is no typical American. What a load of horse - SHITE. We battle eachother, a nation of 200+ million people and we are all typical? There is so much hate for this nation I don't even think it matters if it's an administration these people really do hate us. How could so many people from democratic free loving nations not agree with overtrowing a totalitarian dictator, who happened to kill thousands of his own people, dismantling the government and bringing back to life a nation of brainwashed and terrified people. The best answer to that question is, because it's the Americans.
Is that the typical American? What a terrible way to think. I won't ruin this thread any longer and I apologize if you just wanted to see an update but I'll be the only one here who sticks up for us when some shmuck uses the phrase Typical Americans.

AMEN NYGIRL ...AMEN!
Nicholas.Navarro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:12 AM   #56
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nygirl
I got your back girl...maybe there is a reason the world wants to become a "typical American". Its funny that you don't see Americans running from this country to become citizens somewhere else and its also funny that you don't see foreigners leaving their country to another unless its to become a "typical American" in the good ole USA.There is no other place on this planet that I would rather be.
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #57
ramvid01

Likes (Received): 68

Can't compare Dubai to Manhattan, completle polar opposite's. One has a ton of space to build the other is looking for space
ramvid01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:40 AM   #58
cincobarrio
Lurker

Not to mention that one is 2 dimensional
cincobarrio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #59
HD
°°°°°°°°°°°°

Likes (Received): 906

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestrob
Its funny that you don't see Americans running from this country to become citizens somewhere else and its also funny that you don't see foreigners leaving their country to another unless its to become a "typical American" in the good ole USA.There is no other place on this planet that I would rather be.

huh? there are americans who left the USA to become citizens of a different country. and there's plenty of countries that are destinations for immigrants - the USA is not the only country. no really, this was a pretty arrogant comment, eastwestrob. as arrogant, as this "typical american" comment.
HD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:07 AM   #60
Indyman

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD
huh? there are americans who left the USA to become citizens of a different country. and there's plenty of countries that are destinations for immigrants - the USA is not the only country. no really, this was a pretty arrogant comment, eastwestrob. as arrogant, as this "typical american" comment.
He was generalizing. Most Americans dont leave the US and even though other countires are immigrant destinations you cant argue that the USA is on (i dont have the facts but if its not number 1 its close) the top of that list.