daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #81
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

You know what's funny? People don't realize that as tall as Burj Dubai is, Aon Center (Chicago) is bigger than the Burj.

The WTC is probably the most important project under construction in the world.

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #82
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerPower
I just visited the site the other day and I must say not much has happened there over the past two years. I could see them digging trenches though to begin piling, which is encouraging. Visiting the Empire State Building reminded me just how massive it is, and how much it dwarfs the other buildings in New York. It will good to see a new building take the title again. The ESB also recaled the glory days of skyscrapers in NY. It's hard to fathom the speed of construction back then.

NY is different today than it was then though, and I wonder whether they can still get things done like they used to. I really doubt that all the buildings will come up simultaneously, especially seeing as their all going to have their own special designs etc. Hopefully NY will prove me wrong as it has for others in the past.

Oh, and comparing it to Dubai is indeed not a good idea. The circumatances surrounding each are very different.

Its been stated basically everywhere you read on the WTC, that designs for the remaining towers are to be unveiled 9/20, and that they will be starting construction within the year or 2. At one point, the memorial, PATH station, museum, and 5 buildings will all be u/c at the same time...

..and important note to Goldman Sachs which isnt a part of the WTC site but directly across it (or the WFC).
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM   #83
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfenn1117
Spook, most of the int'l people have no respect for NY. Dubai is building big things, hey that's great, NY has been doing that for over a century. I mean, just show respect to the motherland of all things tall in the world. That's all I ask. With Dubai, The entire city is under construction, so it's not a big deal. When a project of this scope is under construction in NY, surronded by a real city, it makes for big news. We just need to ignore the trolls that can't even speak english.

Anyways, in a few years when steel is up for all 5 towers, AND Goldman Sachs, and there's more cranes than buildings in the skyline, maybe they will get the hint.
Their disrespect pisses me off to no end. For the longest time they hardly had any buildings, and now all the sudden theyre having a huge building boom, in which much gets accredited to global economy that allows it. This statement im about to make will come under attack sometime soon but more and more cities around the world are getting Manhattanized. Cities are moving in a vertical direction and hello? The first two cities to do so ARE American folks, Chicago and NYC, theres no getting past it. Im not forcing anyone to like their skylines, but shit, dont act as if yours is the first to have a tall building, or discredit what your very cities are modeled after, and where it all began. Show some ****** respect, the hype in America has long since died down for supertalls. It showed economic might, now its just a pissing match, anybody can build tall nowadays, not back in the day when it was a true art. Much like music today, anybody can pick up a guitar today and make a band and get a shitty record deal, its not a talent anymore. You cant get past the architectural history of NYC and Chicago. So quite frankly, save for a few, the majority of your supertalls going up in Dubai or Shanghai, chances are nobody gives a **** around here, weve been building long before you have, our grace period is over, and weve held the reign far long enough.

So they can call us whatever they want, they know the history, they know they can build as many ****** towers as they want, but they wont be as elegant as our mixed century old skyscraper skylines.

I mustve missed the memo when the WTC fell of the economic map. Yes folks, its being revitalized, and yes, its still as important now as it was before. No dime a dozen supertall being built in vast desert wasteland can take away the economic might and importance overnight. If im not mistaken, 9/11 made quite a dent in the world economy, let alone domestically. Hey I just heard a new supertall is being proposed in India, ut oh, looks like thats the new best tower in the world.

Dont force me to become a bigot *******s. That is not how i am.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM   #84
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Spook, most of the int'l people have no respect for NY. Dubai is building big things, hey that's great, NY has been doing that for over a century. I mean, just show respect to the motherland of all things tall in the world. That's all I ask. With Dubai, The entire city is under construction, so it's not a big deal. When a project of this scope is under construction in NY, surronded by a real city, it makes for big news. We just need to ignore the trolls that can't even speak english.

Anyways, in a few years when steel is up for all 5 towers, AND Goldman Sachs, and there's more cranes than buildings in the skyline, maybe they will get the hint.

True story. Im RS085 over at WNY, dont go on much but since I cant stand the people on the this site I might make a permanent switch. I liked your quote over at WNY btw, it was my signature for awhile, 'the half ppl here cant speak english one'. I enjoyed it.

The fact is though, the WTC very well has indirectly affected almost everyone in this world in one way or another, and its economic importance to not just NY but the world should never be questioned, just as it wasnt before. The construction and revitalization of it is showing that were bouncing back.
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM   #85
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

If you look at the grand scheme of things, the development of Dubai is their last ditch hope for survival. The UAE oil reserve is projected to become depleted within 20-25 years. Once that happens, the country will have nothing to show for except miles and miles of sand and dirt. Their only hope lies in generating the oohs and aahs from the Burj Dubai and The Palms and its other "attractions".

If you ask me, I believe the spic and span polished city of Dubai has a great potential of becoming a ghost town, like battery park city after 5pm. It has the makings for the greatest real estate development fiasco the face of the earth has ever seen. The geographical attractions are nonexistent and the city is lined with a mediocre shoreline.

Dubai builds tall to flaunt and attract the world to the new Las Vegas of the desert. New York City builds tall in order to meet necessity and function. Which is the better?

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #86
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

As for the topic of architecture and cityscapes, don't be surprised if the Burj Dubai doesn't appear to be as grand as advertised. A supertall skyscraper never overwhelms unless there are other comparable structures within its vicinity. Take a stroll down lower Manhattan and the financial district. The grand canyons of the urban cityscape cannot be found anywhere else on earth. The Twin Towers' massive stature was made possible by its fellow twin and the surrounding rainforest of office buildings. The Burj Dubai is nothing but a monument in the middle of Nothing.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #87
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer
New York City builds tall in order to meet necessity and function.

...has been and will continue to do so...

but ya know, now that almost all major intl cities are having a building boom, NYC is just instantly bottom of the barrel in comparison!

Such a stupid assessment.

Another thing, they all act as if their skylines are already ****** built. They talk so much yet more than half of their buildings are ******* under construction. Their skylines arent even made yet. Theyre looking at renderings and plans and basking as if theyre already built. NYC has been a majestic skyline ever since the 1930s, hell even the 20s. My ancestors went to their graves knowing that American cities back in their days were the future. NYC's history has already been cemented.

Last edited by Spooky873; August 11th, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #88
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I like you Spooky.
Old August 11th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #89
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
Their disrespect pisses me off to no end. For the longest time they hardly had any buildings, and now all the sudden theyre having a huge building boom, in which much gets accredited to global economy that allows it. This statement im about to make will come under attack sometime soon but more and more cities around the world are getting Manhattanized. Cities are moving in a vertical direction and hello? The first two cities to do so ARE American folks, Chicago and NYC, theres no getting past it. Im not forcing anyone to like their skylines, but shit, dont act as if yours is the first to have a tall building, or discredit what your very cities are modeled after, and where it all began. Show some ****** respect, the hype in America has long since died down for supertalls. It showed economic might, now its just a pissing match, anybody can build tall nowadays, not back in the day when it was a true art. Much like music today, anybody can pick up a guitar today and make a band and get a shitty record deal, its not a talent anymore. You cant get past the architectural history of NYC and Chicago. So quite frankly, save for a few, the majority of your supertalls going up in Dubai or Shanghai, chances are nobody gives a **** around here, weve been building long before you have, our grace period is over, and weve held the reign far long enough.

So they can call us whatever they want, they know the history, they know they can build as many ****** towers as they want, but they wont be as elegant as our mixed century old skyscraper skylines.

I mustve missed the memo when the WTC fell of the economic map. Yes folks, its being revitalized, and yes, its still as important now as it was before. No dime a dozen supertall being built in vast desert wasteland can take away the economic might and importance overnight. If im not mistaken, 9/11 made quite a dent in the world economy, let alone domestically. Hey I just heard a new supertall is being proposed in India, ut oh, looks like thats the new best tower in the world.

Dont force me to become a bigot *******s. That is not how i am.

your so full of it, and blind and ignorant. Please....
Like hell, 90% of the world didnt even know the WTC existed prior to 9/11, world economies didnt crash after they came down, the world didnt end!
A dime a dozen supertall?
haha, you have said enough.
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #90
Sy
Bada Bing!

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:

I'm not being disrespectful to NY, I've been a supporter of this tower since the start, I just think making claims that it will be the most active construction site in the world is wrong. There are many sites round the world that are going through massive development at the moment. Of course it is a big project for an established city like NY and has special place in the heart of many, but the scale of some other projects dwarf this.
Sy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #91
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
^Indeed bollocks, which is the bigger building site:

I think the site of the Burj has a 'tad' more activity going on and the WTC site will never compare in activity...

I love the new design for this tower and I have from day one said that the only way to defeat Atta and his gang is to rebuild the site ASAP. People need to get behind this tower otherwise this site will remain empty..
Do you think dubai will gonna make it with such 'projects'? it's all crap. NYC is grown tower by tower. dubai, growth by large project by large project. Dubai is gonna crashing under it's own wealth and economy. Believe me. Many other economics are say it in Holland.

And also, 'Burj Dubai Complex' is a whole other development. We are talking about a WTC-development.
Also, only the Freedom tower will have more floorspace than the Burj Dubai alone.

BTW, it doesn't matter which site is bigger. the WTC-site is more dense. Dubai isn't dense at all.

You also quote that as people don't get behind the design of the tower that is will remain empty? Make first a look at dubai. Which office's are there standing empty??

The WTC-site and development is the most famous in it's class. Burj Dubai will never tip on that.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #92
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

its only famous because of the unfortunate events!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #93
Sy
Bada Bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Yankee
You also quote that as people don't get behind the design of the tower that is will remain empty? Make first a look at dubai. Which office's are there standing empty??
I don't mean the tower will remain empty...If people continue to criticise the design of the Freedom tower then it feels like it will never get built as no design will be good enough because of the sites importance, it's history and people don't want to screw it up.

Right from the moment this new design came out, people started to bitch about it and throughout this construction thread people have made comments about the spire, that there should be two towers, that they should rebuild the old...people need to realise this is the tower that will/is being built and just accept it now. I think it's a tidy design. Building this is the way to show the terrorists that they didn't win, that the WTC will go on long after they dragged to hell.

As for Dubai, I agree that some projects (Dubailand) are just plain dumb. They are however turning the place into a great tourist attraction that is already well placed given it's position between Europe and Asia. Many people stop off there for tax free shopping, and have done for years. It's setting itself up for a future after oil and I'm sure it will succeed as it has a lot to offer. Dubai won't die as quickly as you think, they have been buying up businesses all over the world which will help to sustain their economy.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #94
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
As for Dubai, I agree that some projects (Dubailand) are just plain dumb. They are however turning the place into a great tourist attraction that is already well placed given it's position between Europe and Asia. Many people stop off there for tax free shopping, and have done for years. It's setting itself up for a future after oil and I'm sure it will succeed as it has a lot to offer. Dubai won't die as quickly as you think, they have been buying up businesses all over the world which will help to sustain their economy.
So, what got this have to do with the WTC-site?
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #95
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm1981
I got a chance to come to new york to visit with my girlfriends grandparents that live in albany. We took a tour bus down to new york city and the place is frightening it is so big. I from down south around greenville south carolina just to let you know. The country/city of Dubai will never reach the density that new york city has. It is a unique place of its own. I thought it was interesting how close newark is to new york city when you are facing them from ellis island. Oh yeah and f*** all those muslim extremist over there that want "death to america". There are too many bleeding hearts in this country. Iran and syria deserved to be wiped off the map if they keep sponsoring terrorism. Israel might do that if they get pissed off enough. Burj Dubai will not look that great without some other really big towers around it. Kind of like Taipai101 does in taiwan all by itself. Go new york city.....!
Umm, watch your comments there. Only 7 posts and already on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
4 possibly 5 buildings will be u/c at the same time, either well over 1,000 feet or just under.
I hope that happens and that the other towers don't get delayed, as could well happen.

Quote:
Exactly. I doubt there are many people here though who have no respect for New York, Dubai's just in the spotlight at the moment but this will also wear off when it has finished most of its construction and the spotlight has moved to another city. You can't not respect NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer
If you look at the grand scheme of things, the development of Dubai is their last ditch hope for survival. The UAE oil reserve is projected to become depleted within 20-25 years. Once that happens, the country will have nothing to show for except miles and miles of sand and dirt. Their only hope lies in generating the oohs and aahs from the Burj Dubai and The Palms and its other "attractions".
Actually they've been without that much oil, trade has been their main thing for a while.

Quote:
Do you think dubai will gonna make it with such 'projects'? it's all crap. NYC is grown tower by tower. dubai, growth by large project by large project. Dubai is gonna crashing under it's own wealth and economy. Believe me. Many other economics are say it in Holland.

And also, 'Burj Dubai Complex' is a whole other development. We are talking about a WTC-development.
Also, only the Freedom tower will have more floorspace than the Burj Dubai alone.

BTW, it doesn't matter which site is bigger. the WTC-site is more dense. Dubai isn't dense at all.

The WTC-site and development is the most famous in it's class. Burj Dubai will never tip on that.
NYYankee, didn't you used to love the burj dubai?

Anyway, who cares, enough with the pointless rants. Let's get back to the topic which is 1 world trade centre
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #96
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
NYYankee, didn't you used to love the burj dubai?
I still do , but i don't like it when people make a bad comparison about other talls.

Dubai and the BD is great, also New York and WTC are great. But you can't compare them.
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #97
Sy
Bada Bing!

Quote:
So, what got this have to do with the WTC-site?
It goes back to when Spooky873 said WTC would be the most active site in the world...anyway we are past that so go back to sleep. Will this have a concrete core?
Old August 11th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #98
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
It goes back to when Spooky873 said WTC would be the most active site in the world...anyway we are past that so go back to sleep. Will this have a concrete core?
I quoted this;

"As for Dubai, I agree that some projects (Dubailand) are just plain dumb. They are however turning the place into a great tourist attraction that is already well placed given it's position between Europe and Asia. Many people stop off there for tax free shopping, and have done for years. It's setting itself up for a future after oil and I'm sure it will succeed as it has a lot to offer. Dubai won't die as quickly as you think, they have been buying up businesses all over the world which will help to sustain their economy."

What got an explenation of why they build so much in Dubai to do with the WTC-site and WTC1 tread?

That was my question to you.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #99
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy
Will this have a concrete core?
But yes. It will have a concrete core. Look to this plan. (It's the ground floor plan)

The walls on the core are from reinforced concrete, which can hold the force when a Airbus A380 with full load and full power would fly into it.
The glass facade (by the doors) are made out of more layers bulled/bombing proof glass.
At each corner will be 1 staircase.
(in the plan, left below,) are the escavators from the underground mall, parking garage and the access ways to the path stations and other buildings.

This will be the most secured and safest highrise building in the whole world
Old August 11th, 2006, 05:27 PM   #100
Sy
Bada Bing!

Quote:
I quoted this;

"As for Dubai, I agree that some projects (Dubailand) are just plain dumb. They are however turning the place into a great tourist attraction that is already well placed given it's position between Europe and Asia. Many people stop off there for tax free shopping, and have done for years. It's setting itself up for a future after oil and I'm sure it will succeed as it has a lot to offer. Dubai won't die as quickly as you think, they have been buying up businesses all over the world which will help to sustain their economy."

What got an explenation of why they build so much in Dubai to do with the WTC-site and WTC1 tread?

That was my question to you.
I replied:

It goes back to when Spooky873 said WTC would be the most active site in the world...
There was a discussion aboiu what other sites were more active, that's why Dubai is in this thread.