daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #161
New York Yankee

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1le
your so full of it, and blind and ignorant. Please....
Like hell, 90% of the world didnt even know the WTC existed prior to 9/11, world economies didnt crash after they came down, the world didnt end!
A dime a dozen supertall?
haha, you have said enough.
They did know the WTC. The former WTC had about 150.000 visitors from whole the world, each day. And there came only more and more and more.

The Dutch economy crashed, so did the American a bit. And it happened in more countries.

But, you're a son of a bitch. So hold your mounth over here.
New York Yankee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #162
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorcist
.....to be honest...i really donīt like the "new" design of the freedom tower...it looks damn boring...and the antenna is just ridiculous...
i prefer the old libeskind-conception. it was modern, beautiful and a great symbol for a fantastic city....but anyway...money rules the world....
The old libeskind-design for the freedom tower just couldn't be build.
The construction was so bad, that if it was gonna build it would fall down over West-street. And, if they improve the structure, then was there no space anymore, because it was full of beams and reinforced concrete to hold it together.
Old August 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #163
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
hey Spooky thanks for the articles. The thing you fail to understand is that Burj Dubai is like Freedom Tower, just the centrepiece of a new development area. Im not that competent in Dubai projects, mby some Dubai people can really say how many cranes etc will be there? But please, lets stop being so offtopic right now.... Im sure the Trade centre site will look dazzling, but you got to realise its not the whizbang biggest you want it to be.
And still, you don't want toe believe us. It's the true. We proven it.
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #164
HT

Likes (Received): 32

I LOVE the new design, its far away from beeing boring, the old libeskind desigt wasnt half that good !
HT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #165
Sir P von
Gordon Gekko

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT
I LOVE the new design, its far away from beeing boring, the old libeskind desigt wasnt half that good !
i really love it too. i am glad it's not some tin can like the burj dubai. it may be a little conservative, but i think it is a very suitable landmark. instant classic!
Old August 12th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #166
New York Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir P von
i really love it too. i am glad it's not some tin can like the burj dubai. it may be a little conservative, but i think it is a very suitable landmark. instant classic!
That's the same i think about it ^.
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:04 PM   #167
Vengineer

Likes (Received): 1

I have a feeling that starting Sept. 20th, the attention of the world will be re-focused onto NYC and the WTC site. They'll come to realize that the American balls for building tall and building whoopass are still there and are bigger than ever. And with big balls comes the challenge of cramming it in tight. No other place in the world will boast literally a wall of 7 supertall, skyscrapers and hi-rises stacked back to back, constructed simultaneously. Its an insane challenge but that's the American way and thats how NYC does it. No other city in the world has the balls and the ingenuity to attempt such a logistical challenge.

1 WTC - 541m
2 WTC - 410m
3 WTC - 350m
4 WTC - 280m
7 WTC - 226m
GS HQ - 225m
5 WTC - ????

Just try to imagine these heights, all crammed together within a few city blocks. Not the mention one of the biggest underground transportation infrastructures built right underneath. Think about it, then shut your mouths and enjoy the rise of an instant skyline for a REAL city.

* All heights of unannounced WTC towers are not official. Based on my "educated intuition".

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Last edited by Vengineer; August 12th, 2006 at 11:10 PM.
Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #168
blackhawk08

can't wait till 9/20 then!
Old August 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #169
germantower
i ♥ NY

Likes (Received): 1154

are those heights confirmed vengineer?
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #170
Spooky873
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
hey Spooky thanks for the articles. The thing you fail to understand is that Burj Dubai is like Freedom Tower, just the centrepiece of a new development area. Im not that competent in Dubai projects, mby some Dubai people can really say how many cranes etc will be there? But please, lets stop being so offtopic right now.... Im sure the Trade centre site will look dazzling, but you got to realise its not the whizbang biggest you want it to be.
Youre welcome, all im doing here is supporting my town, whether its town X or city B, it happens to be New York City. Keep your American stereotypes to yourself, because you really dont know what youre talking about. Most if not all prefer calling it One World Trade Center, not some tacky sugarcoated noun some rich politician made up, only to which the intl community will see it as. To America and New Yorkers, it is in fact NOT the Freedom Tower. As for the site, the activity and $$$$ going into it, is more than I can say for a single site in Dubai, although the overall activity in Dubai is more than any city in the world, since its practically being built overnight.

The WTC site IS the whizbang biggest thing, maybe not to people in Estonia, but certainly skyscraper fanatics, and the American/NY economy. Its a symbol of revitalization, and speaking of which, it is far too soon to call this thing a bluff.
Spooky873 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #171
Spooky873
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengineer
I have a feeling that starting Sept. 20th, the attention of the world will be re-focused onto NYC and the WTC site.
oh yeah for sure. nobody will take notice until all the supertalls are near completion anyway. the majority of people dont get front row seats to these projects like we do on these urban sites.

the finished product will instantly put downtown back on the map, no question.
Old August 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #172
Spooky873
BANNED

1 WTC - 541m - 1,776 ft.
2 WTC - 410m - 1,350 ft.
3 WTC - 350m - 1,150 ft.
4 WTC - 280m - 920 ft.
7 WTC - 226m - 750 ft.
GS HQ - 225m - 750 ft.
5 WTC - ????

remember, 1WTC has a roof height of the old one, 1,368 ft while WTC 2 has a height floating around 1,350-60ft., so theres a double tower thing going on.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:02 AM   #173
sfenn1117

Add in about 10 residential towers going up around downtown, Gehry's mega scraper, and the Fulton transit Center, and it's a completely changed downtown.

I wish 80 South would join in on the fun though.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #174
Spooky873
BANNED

whats the deal with that, its approved but cant get any buyers?
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #175
sfenn1117

Yeah which is a real shame. It could start construction tomorrow if the developer wanted. It would probably be a loss to the developer anyway, it can't be cheap to build a tower like that.
sfenn1117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:11 AM   #176
Spooky873
BANNED

nope, but i actually liked the design, certainly different. i treat the downtown and midtown skylines/architecture distinctively. putting them in one pic is unmatched IMO.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #177
Indyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky873
1 WTC - 541m - 1,776 ft.
2 WTC - 410m - 1,350 ft.
3 WTC - 350m - 1,150 ft.
4 WTC - 280m - 920 ft.
7 WTC - 226m - 750 ft.
GS HQ - 225m - 750 ft.
5 WTC - ????

remember, 1WTC has a roof height of the old one, 1,368 ft while WTC 2 has a height floating around 1,350-60ft., so theres a double tower thing going on.
With the height of WTC2 is there a chance that it might be liked more the WTC1. I mean not just height but if it has a design that people take to better and that height is it possible it might draw from WTC1?
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #178
Vengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyman
With the height of WTC2 is there a chance that it might be liked more the WTC1. I mean not just height but if it has a design that people take to better and that height is it possible it might draw from WTC1?
It won't dethrone 1 WTC in terms of height. It's my... theory... that the spire of 1 WTC is being redesigned to make it look like an actual spire rather than the antenna it currently is. It will give the tower the presence claimed by its height, which is 1776 feet. Tower 2 won't have a spire and will be limited to 1300+ feet but don't be surprised if architectural critics and enthusiasts favor it over tower 1. Norman Foster's a badass and he will produce a very imposing skyscraper.

Towers 3 and 4 are no joke either... and really now lets not forget the Goldman Sachs World Headquarters. It is basically the same site and is going up simultaneously with Tower 1 and with a price tag of $2B, I don't think they'll skimp out on the exterior facade. It will be a great hi-rise despite its sub-1000ft status.

1776' (541m) - WTC Tower One
1350' (411m) - WTC Tower Two
1255' (382m) - WTC Tower Three
1250' (381m) - Empire State Building
1200' (366m) - One Bryant Park
1046' (319m) - Chrysler Building
1047' (319m) - NY Times Tower
1360' (414m) - Hudson Center North
1240' (378m) - Hudson Center South

Vengineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #179
SNT1

Likes (Received): 12

wow, 2WTC = 1350 ft? O_o thats very interesting.
SNT1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #180
Sir P von
Gordon Gekko

what a surprise. new york gains momentum in the skyscrapercity race of booming cities. as chris finch in bbc's the office put it: respect your elders, and do not f*** with the big boys.

i myself am not american, but i do enjoy this whole dick measuring contest being won by the americans. everyone just loves slacking off the US nowadays, which pisses me off. the biggest hypocrits in the world can be found in the middle east instead of the US. terrorist ought to fly planes (figuratively speaking) in arabian skyscrapers cause it's those shop-a-holic oil sheiks that ruin the prospects of their own people. health and education for the poor, or a 2,000 ft skyscraper? hmm.. that's just my narrow-minded vision of the world. i'm sure NYC has higher priorities than new supertalls as well.

back to the topic: who are the architects of the three other big 'uns again? and when can we expect to see their designs?