daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Pick which one you would like to see built
Twin Towers II 418 60.06%
Freedom Tower 278 39.94%
Voters: 696. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #161
freeksregistration

Likes (Received): 14

freedom tower is more beautifull than wtc, it's good that they won't be rebuild, it's the past you have to look at the future (and i also think the twin towers were ugly)
freeksregistration no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #162
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
The Twin Towers were simplistic 60's architecture....2 boxes but are part of New Yorks diverse architectural history....sure with lots of bucks you can build anything....a new city like Dubai ! But for historic reasons I think the original WTC was simply....New York! They should be rebuilt ..stronger...but I find the Twin Towers II design heavy and ugly. The original design changed with the light and season......within the context of the greater NYC they were and should be again...where else could this be !
I love the original design the best but since I tend to side with the conspiracy theorists I don't really think they needed to be built stronger.

They should just take the original blueprints and build them the same way and they could find a way to make them stronger and more energy efficient. I've probably said this before but we still have the footprints empty to build new towers on. That would be great to occupy those spots.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:03 AM   #163
aghaida2001

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union.SLO View Post
I can't belive so many of you like old Wtc twins! In my opinion they were one of the ugliest skyscrapers in NYC. Freedom tower is quite nice, but it could be more iconical...
There is something about looking into the NYC skyline and seeing TWO iconic buildings near the face of the harbor. Twin towers may be ugly but they looked powerful and beautiful together. It resembled nothing else in any other city. The fact that freedom tower is only one building kills the beauty of that skyline entirely. Any joe shmo in the world wouldve recognized the NYC skyline from a picture prior to 2001. Now its one building and people will take it as the terrorists took away a lot.. one building and one once recognizable and powerful skyline. Shame
aghaida2001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #164
FutureSkyscraper

I like the Twin Towers better than the Freedom Tower. They had a really corporate vibe to them.
FutureSkyscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2008, 10:13 AM   #165
charmedone

Likes (Received): 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghaida2001 View Post
There is something about looking into the NYC skyline and seeing TWO iconic buildings near the face of the harbor. Twin towers may be ugly but they looked powerful and beautiful together. It resembled nothing else in any other city. The fact that freedom tower is only one building kills the beauty of that skyline entirely. Any joe shmo in the world wouldve recognized the NYC skyline from a picture prior to 2001. Now its one building and people will take it as the terrorists took away a lot.. one building and one once recognizable and powerful skyline. Shame
yes but i feel if we build what was once there it would be creepy so see them there again in a way and it would remind me to much about what happend there that day i kinda would want to see something diffrent sure the freedom tower is nothing compaired tot he wtc but still im glad were getting something besides when you look at the skyline you will see 4 tall buildings not just two and i love all of them
charmedone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #166
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Twin Towers II is a much better idea then the Freedom Tower but it is not likely that the Port Authority change its course and use the Twin Towers II plan right?
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #167
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5618

Nope, it'll be Freedom Tower and that's it. This thread is just for people's opinions.
Old December 7th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #168
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo[NL] View Post
Twin Towers II is a much better idea then the Freedom Tower but it is not likely that the Port Authority change its course and use the Twin Towers II plan right?
, good joke
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM   #169
Shagohad

Likes (Received): 3

Manhattan island will never be the same island without WTC :/. Freedom Tower will not change this fact :/
Shagohad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #170
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

The Twin Towers had the same thing happen to them that happened to many skyscrapers: people hated them at first like they did with the Transamerica Pyramid, but soon after they were embraced and embodied the entire city. The dualism of the towers had a yin-yang feel to it, balancing the different parts of the city. Now, I like the design of the Freedom Tower and the surrounding towers as well, but they just aren't New York. They should have just rebuilt the Twin Towers. To me, it'd be like replacing the Brooklyn Bridge with a new Calatrava bridge: it'd be a great bridge, but almost an offense to New York.
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #171
Carlo[NL]

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
, good joke
Some dumbasses believe that they actually will change courses and use the Twin Towers II design.
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #172
amidcars
BANNED

i think design wise - FT , but i do agree that the skyline seems to look better with twins & a less profound architecture - my pick WTC II
amidcars no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #173
skyscraper100
>:

Likes (Received): 32

sadly WTC is destroyed so new york should built a new icon to remember the WTC towers, thats the freedom tower,
i didnt mean WTC towers are ugly, actually its really iconic, but thank god they wont rebuilt it, if they did it, for me its not the real wtc towers anymore.
skyscraper100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #174
#obert

Likes (Received): 833

I voted for the WTC Towers, They Were really Wonderful...
#obert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #175
Inkdaub

Likes (Received): 3

I like the FT more on a purely aesthetic basis. But the Twin Towers, while ugly in a way, had presence that the new FT will never have. If the Twins still stood I would be against knocking them down and building something new, but as they are gone I am glad they went in a new direction. I don't think rebuilding the Twin Towers would have been the right thing to do.
Inkdaub no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #176
deq

Likes (Received): 2

Freedom Tower really sucks, its height of 417 m is just like one of the old Twin Towers. And the design...I wish it had been the design of Shanghai Tower or something innovative and congenial with the future

deq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #177
whitefordj
Toon Town bandit

Likes (Received): 11

twins by far
whitefordj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 12:51 AM   #178
Twix
Lange Jan en Lange Lies

The Freedom Tower doesn't beat that beautifel Twin Towers.
Twix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #179
The other Dude

Likes (Received): 10

the twins were legendary and one of a kind, but new twins would be fake... and lying to history. i think the twins have more power if you let them rest in peace, they will be an icon for the booming second half of the 20th century, the american way. and their fall will represent the moment of one era's end and a new era's beginning.

but im not happy at all with the freedom tower, its nothing special at all and does not justice to what has been there before.

oh, and i dont believe in that "terrorist-story", call me paranoid but the conspiracy theory makes more sense to me...
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #180
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

yeah, the freedom tower IS a big middle finger to terrorists, but Osama's dead anyways
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote