daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #21
XiaoBai
逍遥法外

Likes (Received): 18

Yeah Emporis does suck--apparently those who contribute photos/info to the site are the ones who get routinely screwed over. Anyone remember the Diagram stealing fiasco and ensuing thread at SSP?

Anyways, back on topic--about damned time Tianjin! Is all I can say. One of China's mega-cities with a rich history, yet its development has been somewhat pathetic compared to that of the other mega-cities...probably in part due to the more prominent city nearby. These are some great projects being planned at long last and I will be excited to see them realized.

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #22
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Choyak: Regarding Emporis defined highrises, it is highly probable that Shanghai has many more than Hong Kong, even though its highrises are more spread out. (I have read that Shanghai has over 5000 buildings over 18 floors -- Emporis defines a highrise as only 12 floors high, but obviously this number is a rough estimate). Development is so rapid that it is really hard to keep track of construction. Even for Hong Kong there are some uncounted projects -- as highlighted by Jason Poon.

choyak already highlighted this one, but I will do it again. This one is wonderful.

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:19 AM   #23
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Man... there are just too many of these supertalls popping up from all around the world. I am starting to loose track of the projects...
Old August 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #24
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 7

A few pointers....Emporis' China coverage is never up to date, but this isn't bc their arrogant Americans or something. They keep close tabs on Dubai...anf the reason why is that whenever the UAE does something they are very noisy about. Meanwhile Chinese cities (other than KY and Shanghai) build 300 meter towers unanounced. BTW Emporis is primarily a German concern. What is that crazy jenga-looking tower? or more specifically, who is the architect?
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #25
gaoanyu

Likes (Received): 7

Yeah, the cubes look great!
gaoanyu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #26
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15914

New project, from ss.cn

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:46 AM   #27
SaRaJeVo-City
BANNED

Likes (Received): 17

wow these buildings are amazing, very nice projects...
SaRaJeVo-City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 04:56 AM   #28
Phobos

Lots of good projects there.Abundant Building and the "cubes" building are by far the best.
Old October 1st, 2006, 12:33 PM   #29
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

New supertall, 337m and 86 floors

Old October 1st, 2006, 01:49 PM   #30
Ortziribeltz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
In addition to this, Emporis editors are especially skeptical about Chinese buildings due to chauvinist attitudes. Most western editors don't accept seeing so many Chinese cities they couldn't even locate on a map ranking over many western world class cities, so they use to boycott any editor who added many Chinese buildings. I think they haven't any regular editor from China Mainland, have they? In fact, last year they banned a Chinese editor who added about 800 Chinese buildings in three months...
That is a big lie and really don't know where do you get that from. Emporis' data is provided by volunteer work. Normally a person that is accepted will add photos or buildings for the city he lives or knows better. There is a lot of information in Chinese, but if no Chinese citizen is applying then it is impossible to update new buildings been built or proposed. Using the same false arguments you use, we could say the problem is not Emporis Chauvinism but rather Chinese lazyness right? But of course that would be equally unfair and false.

Shanghai has 770 and HK has 7800 just because someone has added those buildings, plain simple, Emporis does not say those are ALL the buildings there are in those cities.

To those that always complain and cry about how underrrated their city or a certain city is. If I were them I would provide RELIABLE information about missing buildings or try to improve the quality of data. But of course it is easier to complain rather than to take a pen and a piece of paper and taking notes of every building +12f in a city, as some of us have done.

You can more or less disagree about the way the website is managed but I won't tolerate anyone to undervalue the volunteer work done for years by the editors there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsIaBoYz View Post
i was one of the emporis editor before and responsible for adding all the buildings in mainland china, macau, that was about a year ago i think. All together i think i've add about 2000 buildings for china only (they still keep those buildings on emporis site) and their senior editors warned me not to add buildings in mainland china anymore coz im not living in mainland china and because of that, all the information i add are not accurate and its not truth, but i did provide them where i got those buildings info from (websites, pics and even telephone number/address of the building developers) but unfortuantely they dont believe me, so i quit at the end.

i just dont understand why they still want to keep the stuff i added before and on the other hand, they told me not to add buildings on their website
If you quited, and you were treated that badly, then why have you registered with another name in late August?

Last edited by Ortziribeltz; October 1st, 2006 at 01:58 PM.
Ortziribeltz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:12 PM   #31
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

@Ortzi, if I'm not wrong, Emporis takes 24h to change the status from u/c to built when the building is somewhere in the West. Calatrava's supertall for Chicago was added the same day as it was released. On the other hand, they use to take weeks to upgrade a big skyscraper of China from under construction status to built AFTER the editor has changed the status of it, right? So, no matter what the editors do if the bosses don't accept their upgradings. Example: Nanjing Century Plaza Tower A.

Sometimes they don't accept that the building is finished for six months after some editor reported it. Example: Shimao International Plaza.

This is not childish crying, they are real examples. Furthermore, in both examples they were providen pictures, so they hadn't to verify anythig. Maybe they were too busy adding 12 floor shits from the West, that's sure

The lack of Chinese editors is not an excuse. Most Emporis editors participate at SSC and SSP and they surely notice some Chinese supertalls when they are released. However, they just keep adding 12 floor crappy buildings from their homeland while 300m proposals from China are openly missed. Both forums were nuts when Guangzhou Twin Towers were released, and nobody added them. I had to break somebody's balls to make him adding them, otherwise they surely wouldn't be added today. That's called discrimination. In fact, most Chinese supertalls added to Emporis in the last year are there because I reported them to some editor, otherwise they would have kept ignoring all of them.

BTW, I still strongly appreciate Emporis editors for their efforts to provide such an amount of information about so many cities. Plus, in the last weeks China is being massively upgraded, so it's ok... Anyway, this argue has nothing to do with Tianjin. We should open a new thread at the Skybar or so.

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #32
Ortziribeltz

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
@Ortzi, if I'm not wrong, Emporis takes 24h to change the status from u/c to built when the building is somewhere in the West. Calatrava's supertall for Chicago was added the same day as it was released. On the other hand, they use to take weeks to upgrade a big skyscraper of China from under construction status to built AFTER the editor has changed the status of it, right? So, no matter what the editors do if the bosses don't accept their upgradings. Example: Nanjing Century Plaza Tower A.

Sometimes they don't accept that the building is finished for six months after some editor reported it. Example: Shimao International Plaza.

This is not childish crying, they are real examples. Furthermore, in both examples they were providen pictures, so they hadn't to verify anythig. Maybe they were too busy adding 12 floor shits from the West, that's sure

The lack of Chinese editors is not an excuse. Most Emporis editors participate at SSC and SSP and they surely notice some Chinese supertalls when they are released. However, they just keep adding 12 floor crappy buildings from their homeland while 300m proposals from China are openly missed. Both forums were nuts when Guangzhou Twin Towers were released, and nobody added them. I had to break somebody's balls to make him adding them, otherwise they surely wouldn't be added today. That's called discrimination. In fact, most Chinese supertalls added to Emporis in the last year are there because I reported them to some editor, otherwise they would have kept ignoring all of them.

BTW, I still strongly appreciate Emporis editors for their efforts to provide such an amount of information about so many cities. Plus, in the last weeks China is being massively upgraded, so it's ok... Anyway, this argue has nothing to do with Tianjin. We should open a new thread at the Skybar or so.
Chicago is one of the bestest covered cities, it is normal to have a proposal added that quickly. The time it takes for the database to update it is the same for any building at any place. A building can be finished from the outside but yet be unoccupied, that is not considered "completed". Just because anyone at SSP or SSC says a tower X of XXX metres is going to built, it shouldn't be trusted, don't you think?

Quote:
In fact, most Chinese supertalls added to Emporis in the last year are there because I reported them to some editor
See, if you request it, it is added
Ortziribeltz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM   #33
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Posted by Kc3000~China:

Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #34
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

the 2 skyscraper-Center's are looking fantastic.
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:30 PM   #35
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Some moderator should upgrade the title of the thread to "Tons of supertalls"

Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:55 PM   #36
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

yeah
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:33 PM   #37
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

More projects

Serpents Tower, 50f+

40f

Tianjin subway planned lines. The map might be outdated.

Old October 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #38
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Huge residential development. 11 towers of 32 floors.

More projects

Old October 14th, 2006, 10:08 PM   #39
Ashram

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for all this info, z0rg.
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #40
Kenwen
Mosher "K"

Likes (Received): 131

look at these, even dubai looks little cmpare to this, there r thousands of skyscrapers bein contructin in tianjin, look at how big the development is
Kenwen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
tianjin