daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2006, 09:41 PM   #221
[email protected]
Next Generation Looney

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserradell
- Alargule: why do not you write the stations name in your fantasy city (the New York like one)? It would be great!!!
Er, I think Alargule hasn't done it (and probably never will) because it's so much work...

Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2006, 11:46 PM   #222
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro
Flying metro:

Oops... I didn't know the "flying metro" term is already being used to describe the Wuppertal Schwebebahn (suspended monorail)...
I think the term is not used for describing the monorail. Sorry, I just wanted to make a joke...
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 12:19 AM   #223
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

I have a fantasy city on paper (including network) also I have some fantasy underground maps of Zürich. But I have to scan it in.. could be complicated its drawn with pencil.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #224
chicago2stlouis

Likes (Received): 0

"Chicago2Stlouis: I think the “green” line on your map will be opened soon, can you confirm this, please? Two weeks ago I went from Chicago to St. Louis. I used the metro from Lambert Airport to Laclede´s Landing. It is a very nice system. It would be nice to see all these extensions you draw in your map"

the green line will be opening august 26. i can't wait
chicago2stlouis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #225
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Alargule: why do not you write the stations name in your fantasy city (the New York like one)? It would be great!!!
As a matter of fact, I have filled in most station names on the island part. But they're so odd, you wouldn't even be able to read them...

Quote:
Alargule: fantastic your Amsterdam map. Do you think you will build the brown line in the future?
Me? No... But on a more serious note: the central section between Lelylaan and Muiderpoort was proposed several years ago. There are no serious plans to build it right now, but who knows what might happen in the future.
According to the original 1968 metro plan, the section west of Lelylaan should have been connected to the existing subway line (51/53/54) - but they never made it past the central station.
Same goes for the section south of Muiderpoort station, which should have been part of an east-west line Gaasperplas-Geuzenveld.
The actually built two sections of this line: the section Verrijn Stuartweg-Gaasperplas today forms part of line 53, which runs parallel with lines 51 and 54 in the underground section in the city center. Underneath Weesperplein, a concrete shell for another station has been built. For more info and a map of the original metro plan, check my 'Amsterdam metro' thread!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM   #226
[email protected]
Next Generation Looney

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker
I have a fantasy city on paper (including network) also I have some fantasy underground maps of Zürich. But I have to scan it in.. could be complicated its drawn with pencil.
I always draw maps again in Paint... it's a lot more work than scanning, but you can be sure that it will be clear and legible...
Old August 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM   #227
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
First of all: thank you for your comments, and sorry for my poor English.

Here you have another metro-world system map: ths stations have the name of a city with a metro system.
In the light blue line (circular line), you can find the biggest metro systems (New York, London, Paris, Tokyo….) and inside the circle there are the world´s main cities with a metro system. Of course, the importance of a city is a relative matter, and for sure, you will find exceptions…
In the light pink and grey lines we find the cities with systems under construction, planned or even rumoured. From Singapur, there are the newest openings: San Juan, Kazan, Nanjing, Torino…). I sign it in dark blue. The next city will be after Daejon.

Of course there is a problem with transfer stations between constructed / under construction lines… Sometimes I write a city with a metro system: Mumbai, and sometimes a city with no metro system yet: Jakarta.
Brilliant ideas welcomed…

To Micro: it is difficult to draw a correct world map, as many metro systems are together in Europe or Far East Asia.
Some metro station names are too much long, so I have to use a shorter version of them.

Yes, there are too much Stadtbahn / Europe names. But for me, Spaniard, it is easier to remember european names than asian names. I am sorry for it.

Yes, I will change some names (in fact I have find some errors…). I will try to write in the city centre the most important / emblematic names: Times Square, Ginza, Otemachi, Piccadilly Circus, Sol, WTC…).
What is “important”? Well, that´s another discussion!!! (City population, beautiful stations, a nice name…).
What is “a nice name”? Well, that´s a very personal issue. But it is very simple: I like some names and I do not like others!

More suggestions are welcomed.

And of course, I am waiting for your own maps!!! Please, share them!

Jordi Serradell

Another great map, Jordi!

We can go from Barcelona to Hong Kong directly: only one station!!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM   #228
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
I always draw maps again in Paint... it's a lot more work than scanning, but you can be sure that it will be clear and legible...
Well those maps were never meant to be shown to someone, well I always thought people would call me crazy.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:51 AM   #229
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

I created two completley new airlines, complete with ads for their 'new' routes!

AustralianAirways

I once drew a map of a massive city in complete detail including zones for industrial, res and commercial. The bmp was over 40mb in size, it took 15mins to delete on my old pc.
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:23 PM   #230
ka__zet
yet another transit geek

Likes (Received): 599

Bydgoszcz, Poland and its tram system:

Black: existing Red: planned

ka__zet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM   #231
[email protected]
Next Generation Looney

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker
Well those maps were never meant to be shown to someone, well I always thought people would call me crazy.
I suggested to draw maps again in Paint. So if you didn't want to show your maps to anybody when you drew them on paper, fine. But now that you want to digitize and share your maps, I'd recommend Paint rather than scanning.
Old August 28th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #232
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

The Welshpool (Fictional in all ways) City Railway Network

Old August 28th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #233
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

That's rather small...got anything bigger...?
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #234
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3675

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninbrisbane
I created two completley new airlines, complete with ads for their 'new' routes!

AustralianAirways

I once drew a map of a massive city in complete detail including zones for industrial, res and commercial. The bmp was over 40mb in size, it took 15mins to delete on my old pc.
Is this metro?

Very long lines!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM   #235
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

A few days ago I made a new metro map. It's for the fictional city of Olympia. It kinda resembles the Copenhagen S-tog system (with the 'fingers'), but it's still quite different with the circle and cross transit lines.

Then yesterday I started creating an actual map of Olympia City. The only change from this system to the metro map is that 'National Theatre' has been renamed 'Royal Theatre', as royal seems more ... well, royal

(I didn't make a key, as it seems fairly easy to get. Light grey with black outlines are highway, thick white lines are major roads/important streets, black lines are normal streets, all the coloured lines are subway lines, the dark grey line is national rail, blue words are station names, red names are places of interest, green areas are parks)

Enjoy
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 11:16 PM   #236
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Looks great! But why doesn't your subway system follow any of the major roads/highways?
Old August 29th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #237
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

The bigger (and yet smaller) compressed network map, so I apoligise if the text is too blurry.

Enjoy
Old August 30th, 2006, 09:25 PM   #238
[email protected]
Next Generation Looney

Awesome map J.I.B.!
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:12 AM   #239
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

It's funny how people create fantasy networks looking outstandingly similar to their own. Obviously we aren't that imaginative.

I personally live in Paris... and when I was 8 years old I've drawn my first fantasy metro system which was consisting in about 15 lines getting in all directions and strictly serving a well-defined administrative area. For the rest of the city, there was an RER. When I've grown up, I've continued to draw new networks, and I couldn't help myself to consider a system as not fulfilled if it's not doubled by an express network.

Anyway, I couldn't find my old fantasy network maps on my hard drive. The only thing I could find is a network I've made with the game Transport Tycoon. Well, I know that game is old and everything, but it's the funniest I've ever known to designate your own little rail network.

Over here, my challenge was actually to draw a coherent subway network with Transport Tycoon. It's located on an imaginary city which would be in the Alps at the border between Italy and France. I'm quite satisfied as I succeeded to make the network so that you never need more than transitting through 2 lines to go fastly anywhere you want. The city is named Dufayel, and here's how look the map of the network:

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 09:13 AM   #240
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

In the game, the lines look this way:

Here's a flatten version to see better how the network look like:

Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote