daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #241
jserradell

Likes (Received): 9

I like all your maps.
Is there a real subway with two different languages? I do not mean a bilingual city like Montreal, Brussels or Barcelona, where you can find signs in two languages. I mean some stations in language A and others in language B.
I like Dufayel map, it reminds me of the Paris Metro map
Olympia is like Hinto city: both have a loop zone!!!

joninbrisbane :18 lines!!! (second, only after New York!!!) (I think...)

Please keep posting your maps!!!
jserradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #242
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 23

StarFish: I notice in your map you have quite a few Australian Names i.e Orange, Casula, East Hills, Annandale, Telopea, Linden and last but not least Dundas.

I really love looking at all these maps, it's an creative outlet! Keep them coming!
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM   #243
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserradell
Is there a real subway with two different languages? I do not mean a bilingual city like Montreal, Brussels or Barcelona, where you can find signs in two languages. I mean some stations in language A and others in language B.
Singapore comes to mind as a true world city with station names in different languages:
Malaysian: Pasir Pandang, Bukit Batok, Tanah Merah, ...
English: Raffles Place, Botanic Garden, Redhill, ...
Chinese: Yio Chu Kang, Ang Mo Kio, Choa Chu Kang, ...
Indian(?): Dhoby Ghaut, ...
Italian: Buona Vista, Novena
I wonder if there's a resource somewhere that explains the origin of Singaporean metro station names. That must be very interesting.

Hong Kong also has a nice mixture of English and Chinese station names.

There are some English names in Montréal, like Sherbrooke, Snowdon, McGill.
Paris has a Franklin D. Roosevelt station.

Last edited by micro; September 4th, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM   #244
DonQui
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Buona Vista and Novena are not Spanish. It would be "BuEna Vista" in Spanish. Novena could be Italian though.

PS: Just checked out online, and both are Italian.

"Buona Vista" means "Good View"
"Novena" is Italian for a series of prayers.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #245
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Thanks! I will edit my above post because the error looks stupid.

I believe there must be some more Indian names in Singapore but I cannot find them.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #246
Haber

Likes (Received): 0

Here's my expanded version of the Montreal Metro:
Haber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #247
hinto
On the move

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserradell
Hello friends:

I love all your fantasy maps!

- I like the Hinto City Map: It is very nice. It is a good idea the loop service. Two weeks ago I went to Chicago and I used the loop often. By the way, I think Hinto City Metro System is similar to Stockholm (not the loop…): three lines with some branches. It is like a real city.
Thank you! I guess I should clarify my system though... STAR is a commuter rail like LIRR/Metro North or Metra, only on a somewhat smaller scale. There's a separate subway/metro network (run by MHTA, hence the connection icons), which I haven't completely worked out yet.

I actually drew upon the networks from Toronto, Melbourne and San Francisco when I was drawing the map for STAR:

- a somewhat semi-circular coverage area due to geographical setup (city with one side facing water, and suburbs on the remaining sides), kind of like the GO Train in Toronto (the earlier incarnation of the STAR map looked even more like the GO map, before I introduced the City Loop)

- I actually got the idea for the loop from Melbourne. Funny, Chicago didn't even enter my mind until after I drew the map.

- The City Loop actually shares the alignment with one of the subway lines within the CBD, with the subway line running on one level, and STAR running on the other. That's kinda like the Market Street Subway in San Francisco, with MUNI at the top and BART at the bottom. That's also why I have the City Loop Fare Zone, in which the fare structures for both the STAR and the subway are integrated. I figured fare collection would be a hassle otherwise.

I actually used to have each branch colored as a separate line. I scraped that after I put in the City Loop, since I figured the map would look really messy if there were 9 colored lines going through the loop. So that got boiled down to the 3 divisions and the STAR Flyer airport trains; though each branch is still referred to as a line (eg. Lymstown Line, Lawrenceburg Line, etc.).
Old September 7th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #248
jserradell

Likes (Received): 9

I would like to ask a question to our canadians forumers:
why most of the canadian metro maps have a black back?

As far as I know, only Montreal, Toronto and Buenos Aires (subte) use a black back in the maps.

I like to print all the maps I find in the internet. I have thousands of them. But I, personally, think that use a black back in the maps is an unncessary wasting of ink!!!

Of course, this is only, my point of view. But I prefer maps with white back: they are easier to read andto look at them, and I do not use so much ink!

By the way Haber, your Montreal map is very nice! It would be nice to see it in the future.
jserradell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #249
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

The Paris RER map used to have a black back. It's been changed about a decade ago to a grey back, and finally to a cream back showing different fees zones. Outside the waste of ink, I also think that a black back isn't that esthetic. To use a Parisian vocabulary, it looks like some kind of computer wires scheme emphasizing on the "network" aspect rather than on a more "human" aspect.
Metropolitan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:42 PM   #250
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

For some reason the fictional Copenhagen light rail map I posted earlier is just a red X. So here it is again

And now, the fictional north-German city of Tegel. Both subway and tram (the green lines) are operated by Tegel Transport, 2T (Called Zweite in daily speech)

And a map I made during the summer, I know it's not metro, but I like it It's the Kingdom of Eureka (shh, not Iceland ) and it has somewhere around 20 million people
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #251
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

StarFish,
So, when are you doing a realistic metro/LRT-map for Copenhagen-Malmo combined? What are you waiting for!?

By the way, which application are you using to make these maps? Especially the CPH tram one, which looks very good.
Old October 17th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #252
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Your own subway/tube/metro maps/visions

Please, no official maps here, only your OWN cartographic accomplishments (including fantasy plans if you like). I've made a seperate thread so we can restrict the map thread to official maps and focus more on the fantasy part elsewhere. In the Dutch version of this thread I've been working on a vision map for Rotterdam, but one closely based on the most realistic of plans.

Red: completed.
Blue: completed.
Green: conversion from mainline to The Hague under construction, opening 2008.
Yellow: conversion from mainline to Hook of Holland from official plans.

Brown: official study to Zoetermeer (Sweet Lake City). Omitted on diagram.

White: Rotterdam tramlines. Omitted on diagram.

Turquoise: circle line vision based on official studies to connect the main subcentres (north: Meijersplein/airport, west: Schiedam, northeast: Alexander, east: Kralingse Zoom, southeast: Parkstad, south: Zuidplein). The near-centre stations are all undergoing urban development, with Parkstad expected to follow. I must admit that official studies currently envision tramlines.

Orange: vision line through Stadshavens, a massive harbour area will be redeveloped in a more distant future. In the diagram I assumed this new line will take over circle line services creating a new line for the old southwest linepart.

Black: mainline rail which will gradually increase service to metro-like frequencies in the not too distant future ("Stedenbaan").

I have also included new stations under official study for existing lines such as Spijkenisse Dijkzone, Charloisse Poort en Waalhaven Zuid.

As you can see, I'm a-okay with Beck's Underground style.

Last edited by Capzilla; October 17th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.
Capzilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #253
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

We already have a similar thread about this: Fantasy Network Maps. Maybe it's better if you posted your maps there, so that we don't have two different threads about essentially the same subject interfering with each other.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #254
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

In the Dutch version of this thread I've been working on a vision map for Rotterdam, but one closely based on the most realistic of plans.

Red: completed.
Blue: completed.
Green: conversion from mainline to The Hague under construction, opening 2008.
Yellow: conversion from mainline to Hook of Holland from official plans.

Brown: official study to Zoetermeer (Sweet Lake City). Omitted on diagram.

White: Rotterdam tramlines. Omitted on diagram.

Turquoise: circle line vision based on official studies to connect the main subcentres (north: Meijersplein/airport, west: Schiedam, northeast: Alexander, east: Kralingse Zoom, southeast: Parkstad, south: Zuidplein). The near-centre stations are all undergoing urban development, with Parkstad expected to follow. I must admit that official studies currently envision tramlines.

Orange: vision line through Stadshavens, a massive harbour area will be redeveloped in a more distant future. In the diagram I assumed this new line will take over circle line services creating a new line for the old southwest linepart.

Black: mainline rail which will gradually increase service to metro-like frequencies in the not too distant future ("Stedenbaan").

I have also included new stations under official study for existing lines such as Spijkenisse Dijkzone, Charloisse Poort en Waalhaven Zuid.

As you can see, I'm a-okay with Beck's Underground style.
Old October 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM   #255
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Reposted. Mods: close please.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:31 PM   #256
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

I love that Rotterdam map! :P

And CPH/Malmö would be awesome, maybe I should try my hands at that I use Adobe Photoshop, btw
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #257
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 16068

Shanghai 2020, 800km+

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #258
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Beijing, 700km+

Old November 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #259
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Guangzhou, 555km+

Old November 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #260
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Chongqing, 250km+