daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #321
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
....and finally thanks to the good people at London Underground Blogspot (http://london-underground.blogspot.com) I can include an image of the map I did for the MMOTW book.
Thanks, MarkO, for putting it online!! As I told you earlier I love that map! I'm glad that many geographical and spelling errors from the first edition have been fixed but I still found some (not that I was looking for them, but I have a sixth sense ). Is this second edition also available as a poster from London Transit Museum?

Some errors:
Hanover (only one n in English).
Tehran
Shenzhen
Kharkov
Munich and Brescia seem to share the same station
Linz is not between Munich and Nuremberg
Xian, China has a metro u/c
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #322
Riise

Likes (Received): 12

That world map is seriously cool!
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #323
TDude695

Likes (Received): 0

Click for big.

Here's a fantasy map of Toronto I made. The original plans were by someone else in pdf file, but I made it into an image and changed a few things for a piece of fiction I was writing. Original credit for most of the ideas goes to Warren Schnurr.
TDude695 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #324
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
this is a splendide idea! i didn't know Auckland has some kind of metro system.
Auckland hasn't got a full metro system, same for Sydney, Melbourne and some other cities...
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #325
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
this is a splendide idea! i didn't know Auckland has some kind of metro system.
The map is loosely based on the London Underground. Given the placing of the other cities in Australia somthing had to fill in the place of New Cross station on the East London line. One solution would be to move Jakarta down to Aukland and replace Jakarta with Cebu which has been trying to get a system similar to Manila going. The entire South American network is the Picadilly line running through Heathrow. Maybe the Croydon Tramlink should be used to show South Africa, Australia and New Zealand where there isn't a metro system per se but something more in line of the Tramlink.

@TDude695

I've got my own variation of the map but I'm still tweaking some details and settling on station names. I've also included the streetcar network on the map. Just trying to find an audience to settle some of the details.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #326
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

World Metro Map

Cheers for all the suggestions and comments, Micro's spellings well noted!

Map was originally intended as way to show all the cities in the MMOTW book (with the much repeated proviso that we included some cities that were not metro's in the strictest sense - Stuttgart, Manchester, Lausanne, Jacksonville, San Diego, the Australian cities etc being just a few examples). Those places were included (as opposed to, for example Croydon, or some of the other equally valid light rail cities which were not included) simply because they had interesting maps, often used to give the impression of a metro-like service.

Auckland and Bangalore for example had plans to build Metro's though gather Auckland's now dropped theirs, but the map was worth including. Plus Gil is right about needing more southern hemisphere systems to balance it out.

Defining which is or is not a real Metro isn't an exact science as more and more hybrid systems emerge (should we for example include all monorails? modern low floor tram systems etc?). Problem with extending boundaries too wide is that a book of maps of every single rail-based system would become unwieldy, so we had to excercise a bit of restraint! Not surprisingly more and more older material turns up all the time, much of which I'd love to include in future editions, and same story with the fantasy maps, but we'll have to see how space restrictions go :-)

A properly updated poster may be available next year! Keep y'all posted.

Love the Toronto Fantasy system too TDude!

Mark

Last edited by MarkO; December 6th, 2006 at 10:52 PM. Reason: typo
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #327
MarkO

Likes (Received): 268

Fantasy Manchester

....and while we are at it, here's another fantasy map (for visual delight and world-wide giggling at how poor the UK is nowadays at digging new tunnels - well outside London any rate!)

The idea started with wondering what to do with the core spine (Oxford Road/University/Fallowfield/Withington) which is one of the busiest bus corridors in Europe and certainly would qualify for being converted to light rail at the very least, had it have been in any other major Euro country but Britain! However as that route passes along quite narrow roads (especially through Rusholme) the idea for burying any future tram lines and then extending the routes into a fully fledged fantasy metro (or pre-metro) seemed an obvious leap.

Most of the other routes are just there to make the map look nice (although they do 'serve' many areas which are not well connected to any other urban rail now or planned) but hey who says we can't play?! Especially love the idea of Manchester having a station called "Opera" (one of the most common metro station names in the world) and "Royal Exchange" (because it just sounds so grand), plus since Manchester really does have a Victoria and a Piccadilly station whose to say they might not name future urban rail routes after these mainline stations???!!!

Hang on! Just having a brief re-draw of that map! It'll be back later

Last edited by MarkO; December 7th, 2006 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Re-moulding of map
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #328
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 3674

@MarkO:
Correct "Palmero", it is "Palermo".
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM   #329
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
melbourne Engineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:16 AM   #330
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][/IMG]here is some ideas i had befor the cristie report was released it looks pretty similar but more intergrated and affordable
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:24 AM   #331
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][/IMG]this is a more refined version that includes operational details and the new south west rail link slc=single level cars if tokyo can get by without bilevel cars so can sydney. the red line is a congestion charging line

Last edited by melbourne Engineer; December 18th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:49 AM   #332
Thelème
European citizen

Likes (Received): 101

another future map of Rome

Thelème no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:26 PM   #333
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]here is some ideas that i had for LA it helps separate metrolink and freight trains allowing much better frequencies on metrolink (3ish trains per hour each way on all lines). simpler opperation and more integration with the subway and light rail.

Last edited by melbourne Engineer; December 22nd, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:38 PM   #334
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]here is some ideas that i had for LA it helps separate metrolink and freight trains allowing much better frequencies on metrolink (3ish trains per hour each way on all lines). simpler opperation and more integration with the subway and light rail.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #335
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]here is some other ideas to help out the amricans
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:33 PM   #336
phubben
Is it a bee?

Likes (Received): 1

I don't like when a rail line crosses itself!
phubben no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 06:44 PM   #337
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2092

Then you don't like. Me don't care.

(what the hell is he talking about?)
Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:14 PM   #338
micro

Likes (Received): 106

About that "Broad Street Line" extension in the 2nd map, I guess. Looks like unfavourable city planning and I don't like it either. A circle line would be better.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #339
melbourne Engineer
melbourne Engineer

circle line? my plan makes the broard street line into a circle line and the extention to the west is an option that is currently under consideration. even though the the line would cross its self the opperation would be very simple. from my investigations phily's transport seems to suffer from a lack of transfer options so my plan seeks to address this so commuter can transfere between services and vastly expand their range of accessable destinations
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #340
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

ok, this is not a future map, but an often-mentioned example for a good public-transport-system in germany. karlsruhe (295.000 inh.)

grey lines are regional buses, and the colored lines are the tram lines, and I think they are wel developped for a city of 295.000 inhabitants
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote