daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #461
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Sorry for reviving an ooooold thread, buit here's something I've jsut come across that I'd like to share:
The original 1973 proposed network for Vienna:

What's become of it until today:

2020 (propsed today):

It's a pity that the first map doesn't apply to today...

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #462
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Sydney, in the future (I hope)

The Government has announced recently that Sydney will be getting a metro sooner rather than later, roughly following the Anzac line (shown in this map)

Old December 13th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #463
marcusaffleck
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

How do we draw metro maps using photoshop/?
marcusaffleck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #464
njjeppson

Likes (Received): 1

Dallas

njjeppson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #465
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnsteig4 View Post
Sorry for reviving an ooooold thread, buit here's something I've jsut come across that I'd like to share:
The original 1973 proposed network for Vienna:

What's become of it until today:

2020 (propsed today):

It's a pity that the first map doesn't apply to today...

very interesting...
Old February 20th, 2008, 06:56 AM   #466
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by njjeppson View Post
Dallas

i love how dallas is embracing rail. im wondering if there are plans to build some fort worth lrt as ur diagram shows. heres a map of darts rail plan for 2030 which includes additional lines and extensions:

image hosted on flickr

http://www.dart.org/2030plan/DART2030PlanJan2007.pdf
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM   #467
njjeppson

Likes (Received): 1

^ Fort Worth may look into streetcar service in the near future, but not LRT. The line diagrammed above is the Southwest to Northeast commuter rail line planned by Fort Worth's T (http://www.sw2nerail.com/). The commuter rail line from Denton to Dallas by the DCTA (http://www.raildcta.net/) is under design and will open in conjunction with the DART LRT Green Line. Both of these new lines are planned to use rail cars that can also operate on DART's electrified routes. A second rail line or subway (in addition to modern streetcar service) will be built in Downtown Dallas to handle the additional traffic, scheduled to open in 2012 but alignment has not been finalized yet (http://www.dart.org/about/expansion/downtowndallas.asp).
njjeppson no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM   #468
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

^ sweet. thanks njjepson for the answer and links

seems like they're embracing rail BIG TIME
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM   #469
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10412

MISC | Fantasy City Maps!

Do you have a map of your city's metro, rail, or tram network that you want to post?

Well, post it here. And no, they don't have to be the official extension maps or something, or even make much sense. That's why it's fantasy! I got one myself.

Hartford, US

Hartford, at the moment, has no commuter railway system. Over 80% of trips into downtown (and there are a lot, the city grows over 50% during the day) is made by car, making our highways clogged up for a large part of the day. We have four Amtrak train stations, and that's it. The city and state are slowly but surely on the beginning steps of building a BRT network. Better than nothing except that most of the network will be built on already existing railways.

I think that we are big enough to get a LRT network. The potential is amazing, because there are so much corridors for this idea to take place. I wish that my polticians could actually think big for once.

Here is the "homemade" version of my map (stations not included):

It would compose of:
The Farmington-Manchester Line: This would be a streetcar-style LRT line on the western end, going down Farmington Avenue to connect with West Hartford Center in the middle. East of DT Hartford, it would use rail already there, to connect with Manchester, via East Hartford center.

New Britain Line: Already proposed, as BRT. Possibly if ridership figures are high enough, it can be changed back into LRT. The stations are already, in BRT form, being proposed and will be built by 2010-11. This would be the easiest one to build.

Bloomfield-Glastonbury Line: The northern part, north of Hartford Union Place, has been proposed as LRT in the past. The idea can be revived. The potential for that is amazing. However, the idea of the line to Glastonbury is a little more difficult because a new bridge would need to be built. I think that companies could drive for this one to built. IT would cross by a major Aircraft supplies plant (Pratt & Whitney).

Airport-Middletown Line: The northern half of this line, as well, is being proposed and approved, but as commuter rail, not LRT. And the current plan would compose a bus-link, although there is a railroad that goes to the Bradley Airport (local intl airport) area. I say drop that, and make a metro-style LRT train ride from Downtown Hartford to the airport. The mayor of Hartford has said this should happen (direct rail link) and there have been plans. The southern part to Middletown can be done too, because there is an abandoned railway there.

Here is the map on Google Earth, the terminii of the Airport-Middletown Line are not shown because they are actually a bit of a distance

How about you? Got any plans that you know can't happen, but wish they did for your city?
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:00 PM   #470
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

Here's a map I did up of what I'd like to see in Ottawa. The teal lines are streetcars, while the other lines are light rail, both surface level and subway. Most of them are done over existing but barely-used rail corridors.

canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2008, 03:14 AM   #471
JohnQMetro

Likes (Received): 2

Some wierd ideas

A new West Midlands (UK) Metro...

Of course, I have never even been to Birmingham, so this is just created from looking at Google Maps, Google Earth, and Wikipedia.

Even sillier, a new Tube line for London, whose main driver was that I thought the Tube map would look better with more south of the Thames...

I would welcome any comments...

Last edited by JohnQMetro; April 9th, 2008 at 04:33 AM. Reason: correction
JohnQMetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #472
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Toronto's subway (red) and light rail (gold); thicker LRT lines represent LRT in pre-metro conditions

Suburban rail service: regular service would be all-day, 15 minute frequency. Lighter sections run during rush hour, and regional buses will provide service off-peak.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #473
Nikkodemo
¡¡Pueblaball!!

Likes (Received): 87697

Interesting maps...

I love the maps!

Instagram: nikkodemo_
¡¡¡11 Años en SkyscraperCity!!!
Nikkodemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #474
canadave87

Likes (Received): 15

Here's another map of mine, though this one I made for a term project. This is my fantasy map of a new Ottawa streetcar network.

canadave87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2008, 09:04 PM   #475
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

athens metro map 2030

and a larger one here: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...nsMetro2-1.jpg
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #476
Maelstrom

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDude695 View Post

Click for big.

Here's a fantasy map of Toronto I made. The original plans were by someone else in pdf file, but I made it into an image and changed a few things for a piece of fiction I was writing. Original credit for most of the ideas goes to Warren Schnurr.
Toronto really should have a system of this size right now....
Maelstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM   #477
RATP
Metro driver

Likes (Received): 0

From my site http://il-nosika.populus.ch

Mhaale has an metropolitan area of 750 000 inhabitants.

Green: 2 lines of tramway
Pink: 5 lines of funiculars
Blue: Regional train

Hoyos has 345 000 inhabitants.

Pointe du Sud is one of main cities with 2 695 000 inhabitants
http://il-nosika.populus.org/rub/13
and http://lestransports.populus.ch/
RATP no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #478
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

How come Gare Central is so unconnected? That city could really use an extra east-west line, even if it's only a short one (City Hall-Wagner-Gare-Beryl, or CH-W-Gare-Casablanca-Airport).

Nice maps, but for such a big city the network looks very inefficient!
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #479
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Nice maps ! Nice idea for making this thread! I'm masterplanning a fantasy city, I'm making the metromap in MS Paint
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:43 AM   #480
eddyb

Likes (Received): 35

Hi
Is anyone interested in my Parrahub concept for Sydney Australia http://www.parrahub.org.au/

Eddy
eddyb no está en línea   Reply With Quote