daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:39 PM   #581
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Very good map for the Isle of Wight, it's a shame that the railway network there was reduced so much.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #582
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Proposed Subway for Mannheim, Germany:

Color code:
- dark red : tunnel
- yellow : viaduct/dam
- green : surface
- orange : open cut

All routes were meter-gauge, and supposed to use high-floor cars. Service was to be likely every 10 minutes out to the suburbs, on some routes more frequent. The network was supposed to be intervowen with the similar planned subway network of Ludwigshafen, including cross-city lines. Two extensions in the northeast and east to neighboring cities were planned based on existing light rail lines. Mannheim and Ludwigshafen together have half a million residents.

They actually got started on building this in the 50s and 60s, with the network envisioned finished by 2000. By 1970, they got rid of this plan, with only part of that ring tunnel in the inner city, a number of the surface routes and parts of the viaducts (built in the 50s) finished in Mannheim. The finished routes instead serve as part of the tram network, severely speeding up service especially out to the suburbs.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #583
xip
mapviewer

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovem View Post
athens metro map 2030

and a larger one here: http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...nsMetro2-1.jpg
The brown line i think should stop at Nea Elvetia....because a tunel crossing Imitos mountain would cost a lot. The best solution i think is to extend the dark-red line from glyka nera to peania and runing under koropi center (underground) and then an interchange to koropi (suburban) with the existing suburban rail so that Lavrio can have an easy access to the airport...i would also like to see a suburban line conecting the cyan and red line from glyfada sharing track with cyan line till vari station and then running nexto to varis koropiou highway interchanging at koropi with the dark red and then sharing tracks with the existing suburban rail untill the airport so that north Athens is conected with mesogeia area and airport in less time without going through Athens downtown

I liked your map a lot......
xip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #584
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 885

Huh. That was a dead thread! Thanks for your advise I don't think that a tunnel under Ymitos would cost so much... It would be tunnel anyway, passing under Ymitos or not.
Old November 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM   #585
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

Beijing 2020 Fantasy Map (but I'm not sure which parts actually are the fantasy)

http://www.epaike.com/photo_show-2609252.htm
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #586
xip
mapviewer

cool topic.....i also draw subway line of fantacy cities..........every time i get bored.....this map below is a fantastic light rail (running underground at city center) connecting with other near by cities like the reihn ruhr system in germany

full topic here
xip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #587
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 2

I love some of these maps. I try to do them. I only have openoffice and photoshop and I can't achieve a drawing on top of imported map. IDK what I do wrong, openoffice doesn't like it, and photoshop doesn't have the drawing features I need. What to do?
Old December 5th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #588
metsfan
Photographer

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserradell View Post
You forgot:

Union station (any), Hoboken terminal, Exchange Place, Manhattan Transfer, New York Penn (or any "pennsylvania station")

Otherwise VERY NEAT!!

- A
Old December 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #589
Xeni-2
Tōkyō itsumademo

Hey, interesting thread
So there's others guys like me wich spend their time drawing network maps

Here is my own fantasy network map of a fictional city. I worked on it for several months.
Sorry, though, most texts are in French or invented names.

I'm now working on another one which may look much more american

Last edited by Xeni-2; December 8th, 2009 at 08:01 AM.
Xeni-2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #590
Lucky Lukas

Yes you're not alone. You can come out!
That's brilliantly done. WHat program did you use? You should have done it of a real city though! Maybe next?
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #591
21C Liverpool
Design Journal/

Likes (Received): 0

Liverpool's Contribution

Just a design for some simple extensions and modifications to the Liverpool Underground and suburban network/Merseyrail.

21C Liverpool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #592
Lucky Lukas

I like your map and I love your website. Have you thought about greying out the City Line to reflect that it's not part of Merseyrail? (not entirely sure about the concentric rings idea)
Old December 8th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #593
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C Liverpool View Post
Just a design for some simple extensions and modifications to the Liverpool Underground and suburban network/Merseyrail.
Very nice plan, 21C! I've often wondered why the country that gave us the underground in the first place has so few underground metros outside of London, Newcastle (half-metro anyway), and Glasgow.

To me, British cities like Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester basically scream out for an underground.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #594
21C Liverpool
Design Journal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Very nice plan, 21C! I've often wondered why the country that gave us the underground in the first place has so few underground metros outside of London, Newcastle (half-metro anyway), and Glasgow.

To me, British cities like Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester basically scream out for an underground.
yes I agree. The problem is economics as usual. Liverpool had started to expand its underground in the 1970's too, however economic changes and downturns at the time scuppered that, however alot of work was put into place for later expansion.

Liverpool is lucky in terms of its topography with many underground or sunken lines both in use and abandoned that can be easily re-engineered as a new system.

In response to Lucky lucas, The rings are no accident, they are actually ground level abandoned circular lines of which there are several in Liverpool that are crying out to be intergrated into the merseyrail system.

They connect Major hospitals, urban areas, football stadia and industrial districts but are now relegated to cycle paths. It is hoped as the City continues its revival this will change.

The map below merely explores the possibilities. The city line is indeed not part of the merseyrail network, I have simply followed the UK precedent which is to include were appropriate national rail links and how they correspond with the Urban rail network.

The city line continues to Manchester into their Public transport zone. Merseyrail only consists of the Blue (Northern Line) and Green (Wirral Line)

Ive also included High Speed Rail and extra London Link ideas as perhaps logical next steps in the overall Liverpool City Region rail transport system.
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #595
Lucky Lukas

I merely point out the lines because I think a metro system needs some distinction. It's an interesting set of lines there. Would you sink them in cutting if you were to restore them? Can you adapt them slightly to give a more 'rational' running and separate them into 3 or 4 lines? And are you a fan of this plan?:

http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/Extendi...sit_Merseyrail
Old December 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #596
Lucky Lukas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post

AMEN. No man is a prophet in his own land. Come over and tell us again please...
Old December 10th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #597
21C Liverpool
Design Journal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lukas View Post
I merely point out the lines because I think a metro system needs some distinction. It's an interesting set of lines there. Would you sink them in cutting if you were to restore them? Can you adapt them slightly to give a more 'rational' running and separate them into 3 or 4 lines? And are you a fan of this plan?:

http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/Extendi...sit_Merseyrail
I have read through that link before today, and it raises some very interesting points, not to mention illustrate some of the lines I am talking about re-opening.

The problem with some of the visuals is that I dont believe there is justification to bore a new line from Dingle (former Liverpool Overhead railway) through princes park/toxteth and onwards as a circle line.

I think that would be the cart before the horse, however I do agree with re-opening dingle station and somehow intergrating the tunnel mouth at the waterfront with the nearby Merseyrail service, simply to allow this pretty land locked inner city area to have a more direct transport link and inclusion in the city metro system.

The lines that circle the city would be overground with no need to sink them and would utilise what remains of key railway stations closed for around 50 years now, for example, West Derby Station ( google it for some images)

I think that if the system was allowed to mature and the city's regeneration continues on the path its on now there will be more scope to do something holistic such as the ideas in the Link you attached.

Personally, I feel the key priorities for rail in Liverpool is to extend the recently re-instated Wrexham to London Marylebone to Chester and Liverpool so there are two London Links and increase capacity and improve rolling stock to rival virgin.

I would also like to see more efforts by local politics to push for disconnected national links such as those to Scotland, to be reinstated.

Liverpool's links to North Wales are poor considering Liverpool has been unoffically refered to as the capital of North Wales and I think the abandoned curves south of Runcorn should be re-instated to allow Main line service quicker access to North wales, and vice versa to Liverpool airport.

Liverpool Airport needs a direct rail link and considering its a stones throw from the Main line to the south/London and with that also the local Merseyrail service at Allerton I feel a rail link is long over due.

With regards to Merseyrail, I would Rename it the Liverpool Metro, reopen all abandoned or downgraded lines that once circled the city to allow the inner city areas such as Anfield, Everton etc to have better links to the city and beyond and essentially make the most of what is a mothballed, but incredibly extensive and ripe city rail system.

Some joined up thinking, ambition, energy and above all money (that isnt being as ever focused on London's needs) is what is needed ; ).
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:03 PM   #598
Lucky Lukas

You should get on the UK transport forum and talk to John Williams. Lively discussion will follow...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=584662

And if they're inner city my preference would be to sink them so the air-rights can be used. Much easier than doing it later...
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #599
21C Liverpool
Design Journal/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lukas View Post
You should get on the UK transport forum and talk to John Williams. Lively discussion will follow...
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=584662

And if they're inner city my preference would be to sink them so the air-rights can be used. Much easier than doing it later...
Good point, and that would certainly be a good idea in the dense areas of the route.

I might go to that thread, although it has decended into farce before today so I tend to just orbit discussion to avoid the inevitable circus ; )
Old December 11th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #600
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote