daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #621
lohxy

Likes (Received): 25

eidt
lohxy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 18th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #622
Lucky Lukas

Likes (Received): 2

Thanks Marko. Think this one needs plenty of refinement first. THere's plenty of suggestions coming on the UK forum. Getting to grips with the software too. Still can't do clean continuous all in one lines. Using conceptdraw.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #623
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lukas View Post
This is my fantasy Crossrail map, based around reality but developed to my own tastes... version 1!
Brilliant work. Well done.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #624
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Likes (Received): 525

Not a metro network but still a fantasy map

These maps are for my Cities XL city called Grivpils - info about the city can be found on CitiesXL.com (direct link here)

The street network:

Bus network:

Tourism map:
Old January 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #625
davidaiow

Likes (Received): 5

^ Now those are cool!

Are the maps generated automatically? I've been looking into purchasing XL but not sure if it's yet worth my while (with no tubes etc)
davidaiow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #626
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidaiow View Post
^ Now those are cool!

Are the maps generated automatically? I've been looking into purchasing XL but not sure if it's yet worth my while (with no tubes etc)
No. These maps are hand made (via screenshots).

CXL is great. Almost like real life. Of course if you pay for the "Planet Offer" and get special structures, updates and trade with other playes, but if you just buy it and play offline I guess it's not that interesting.
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #627
davidaiow

Hand drawn! I'm impressed. I'm always confused as to why the never include an uploadable automap feature in these simulations.

Congratulations on the map. I bet it took forever!
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #628
Hybrid 87
a.k.a. The King Arthur

Quote:
Congratulations on the map. I bet it took forever!
From the screenshots in the game to the "empty" (street network) map took me about 3 hours
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM   #629
Lucky Lukas

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Brilliant work. Well done.

Thanks a lot. Here's version 2.

Old January 21st, 2010, 03:28 PM   #630
davidaiow

^Nice!
I always wonder why there are no crossrail link plans to the West-End (read: Piccadilly Circus). It would make perfect sense for weekend and evening visitors.
I guess the area needs to be improved vastly before that could happen though.
Old January 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM   #631
Lucky Lukas

Well actually, the Crossrail 2 plans, or Chelsea-Hackney line do include a station at Piccadilly Circus. I took it out of the scheme for operational efficiency. I thought there were too many central London stations, where there is already a perfectly good tube service.
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:03 PM   #632
davidaiow

^Oh I didn't know that.
Well couldn't it go there instead of Bond Street Which will have Central, Jubilee, and CR1? Piccadilly would have CR2, Bakerloo and Piccadilly? It makes more sense, in my opinion, from a tourist perspective (I'm a London Resident though so anywhere with more tubes is good!)
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM   #633
Lucky Lukas

There has to be a distinction between our tube and crossrail services. To replicate existing tube services with crossrail is to my mind, largely bonkers. I would never have chosen to situate a station at Bond Street. (fancy boutiques - why?) Yes, a station in the West End makes sense, I would trades Bond Street for Picc Circus any day, but there will also be a Tottenham Court Road stop on line 1. Unfortunately I am not the one building Crossrail and I wasn't consulted!
Old January 21st, 2010, 05:24 PM   #634
davidaiow

Haha! TCR always made me laugh. But I guess it's Oxford Street and Charing Cross Road, although the CR station is closer to Oxford Circus than the Underground is from what I gather.

I agree that is seems silly to duplicate the tube network. I would place 1 stop at either end of zone one and one maximum 2 in between the two. More stops South and East of the river would be nice for tube and CR services, but I guess we'll see what happens in the future. I think it's sad that we wont get CR1 until 2017. It's really quite pathetic!

Oh good work on the maps too!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 12:15 AM   #635
MarkO

Likes (Received): 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lukas View Post
Thanks a lot. Here's version 2.

Stunning!

Bravo Lucas!

Just imagine what life would be like in London & the Home Counties if that network existed? What a transformation it would bring!

And yet the reality is very little happens!
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #636
Lucky Lukas

Thanks. Here goes version 3. Big changes, getting better I think.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:05 AM   #637
davidaiow

Mmmm. I like it. Especially "West End" but the branches are quite few and look complex. I personally was looking for the river as a reference.

I liked Staines, a nice addition simply because I like Thorpe Park! (Rail Link Please!)

Thameslink Annoys me, but I don't think that that is your fault. Line 2 seems to follow Victoria for much of Central- is this changeable (does it need changing?) I like Line 4, a direct NW-SE link is a great plus in my books. Line 6 is nice too. A little confused about the ELL- isn't that becoming part of a London Overground Circle? I think it's about time they addressed the Overground Labelling issue, but that is for a whole other topic!

Good work, a much quicker worker than I am on my maps!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:18 AM   #638
Lucky Lukas

Quote:
Mmmm. I like it. Especially "West End" but the branches are quite few and look complex. I personally was looking for the river as a reference.

I liked Staines, a nice addition simply because I like Thorpe Park! (Rail Link Please!)

Thameslink Annoys me, but I don't think that that is your fault. Line 2 seems to follow Victoria for much of Central- is this changeable (does it need changing?) I like Line 4, a direct NW-SE link is a great plus in my books. Line 6 is nice too. A little confused about the ELL- isn't that becoming part of a London Overground Circle? I think it's about time they addressed the Overground Labelling issue, but that is for a whole other topic!

Good work, a much quicker worker than I am on my maps!
You think there should be more branches? I was trying to keep them down for the sake of operational efficiency. I will try and add the river in later.
Line 2 is simply as it is planned at the moment. i.e. Chelsea-Hackney. Only I changed the extremities, and subsituted World's End station for Sloane Square. I deleted Essex road as well.
ELL yes is LO at the moment. But in my universe all the LO lines go to Crossrail where they belong. I love line 6. One tiny, tiny tunnel between Fenchurch and Cannon St and East London is connected with SW. And two of the most pointless stations in the world can become Starbucks. Hurray!

Thameslink annoys me too. It's about to get way more complex and way more annoying! I wish they'd trim it down and keep it like a crossrail line.

Last edited by Lucky Lukas; January 22nd, 2010 at 05:37 AM.
Lucky Lukas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM   #639
davidaiow

Crossrails all the way please! And I apologise for my mistake, I meant to say that I think there are quite a few branches which could perhaps be trimmed (a little more!) but I would have to compare with Network rail etc.

Sometimes having a geographical map is useful and I think a massive map with all the National Rail, LO, LU, DLR, TL etc, would be a nice idea to really get a feel for what areas need to be developed more. Just an opinion as I'm often to Lazy to use BingMaps haha!
Old January 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM   #640
MarkO

Likes (Received): 270

WEST END CENTRAL

In the original Chelsea-Hackney route (when it was first due to be a mere tube line) there was a station proposed called "West End Central" which would've been roughly under Shaftesbury Avenue/Cambridge Circus and would have had its southerly entrance in from Piccadilly Circus (and links to the tubes there of course) and it's northerly entrances around Totty Court Road (& tube links and links to Crossrail).

Also Lukas you probably wanna take a look a look at routing proposals for the north east - at various times it was due to take over parts of the Central Line.

I dont know what the latest thinking is now that 'Chelney' is 'Crossrail 2' but I'll try and find a few maps of it in the meantime

:-)
MarkO no está en línea   Reply With Quote